PDA

View Full Version : NBA Draft

ZagNut08
05-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Pacific northwest hoops is gonna be nuts

ZagMan in Philly
05-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Wow...what luck for portland and seattle....who would of thunk!

spokane86
05-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Spokesman-Review just confirmed it. Rodney Stuckey will not be returning to EWU. He signed with Goodwin Sports Management of Seattle.

Check it out:

http://www.spokesmanreview.com/breaking/story.asp?ID=9988

BobZag
05-22-2007, 05:15 PM
Pacific northwest hoops is gonna be nuts

So do the Sonics take Durant and then trade Rashard Lewis and a big for a chance at hometown kid Hawes?

fedwayzag
05-22-2007, 05:36 PM
Bobzag

Not a bad idea. No way they keep Rashard assuming they draft Durant. Sonics also have the 30th and 34th pick in the second round. Hope they get a GM or someone who might be willing to wheel and deal. Sonics really need to make something happen or they will be gone (might be gone anyway).

MickMick
05-22-2007, 05:39 PM
Sonics new ownership is holding the city hostage. I am now officially a Portland fan. Really wish Paul Allen would have bought the Sonics instead.

thickman1
05-22-2007, 05:41 PM
I'd love to be optimistic but honestly this team has been in a downward spiral since Bob Whitsitt left as GM. I think the apathey that has generated will inevitabley mean the Sonics move to KC or OKC.

UberZagFan
05-22-2007, 05:46 PM
And with the second pick in the NBA draft, the Oklahoma City Sonics select Spencer Hawes...

thickman1
05-22-2007, 06:01 PM
And with the second pick in the NBA draft, the Oklahoma City Sonics select Spencer Hawes...

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

That'd fit - still waiting on one of the last THREE centers taken to do ANYTHING!

deathchina
05-22-2007, 07:22 PM
It'll be interesting to see what Atlanta does with the 3rd pick. I have a feeling they might even reach and take Conley there, as they REALLY REALLY need a point guard and this is a bad draft for points.

cair3
05-22-2007, 07:42 PM
Atlanta should trade down and get conley or draft someone at three and then trade them to the team that drafts conley. Portland's new team looks nice iam going to buy stock in them on protrade.com. Seattle is going to have an interesting future, right now they have a lot of perimeter talent Durant will add aditional offense but what they really need is a center and a defender such as Oden.

Bocco
05-22-2007, 07:58 PM

The sad thing is you're probably correct.

Zag79
05-23-2007, 01:51 AM
i was hoping the sonics would get the one so they could draft the C they have needed so badly for years. but durant will be an amazing addition and with a little help at C from somewhere else make a playof run to keep em around!

mtzaga
05-23-2007, 03:45 AM
The man pulling out the ping pong balls should be wearing a tuxedo.

Zagquette
05-23-2007, 07:30 AM
According to CBS Sportsline:

"8. Charlotte - Spencer Hawes, C, Washington: Emeka Okafor might never become a dependable go-to scorer in the post, but many believe this guy might. Scouts say he's currently well ahead of Oden on the offensive end."

Who are these scouts? And what games were they watching. Hawes might be have strong moves with both hands, but he is not well ahead of Oden in any area of his game. I am not sold on his ability to be a "dependable go-to scorer" vs the likes of Camby, Duncan, Yao, Shaq, or even Emeka for that matter.

Peace

Nevtelen
05-23-2007, 08:40 AM
I don't know. I'd say Hawes' passing ability and his offensive moves are more advanced than Oden's. His D is nowhere near Oden's, nor is his athleticism or strength, so he might not translate as well to the pro game, but he definitely has more moves in the post at this point. IMO. He's not a dependable go-to scorer at the pro level (at least not yet), but his moves are not bad.

a13coach
05-23-2007, 08:54 AM
According to CBS Sportsline:

"8. Charlotte - Spencer Hawes, C, Washington: Emeka Okafor might never become a dependable go-to scorer in the post, but many believe this guy might. Scouts say he's currently well ahead of Oden on the offensive end."

Who are these scouts? And what games were they watching. Hawes might be have strong moves with both hands, but he is not well ahead of Oden in any area of his game. I am not sold on his ability to be a "dependable go-to scorer" vs the likes of Camby, Duncan, Yao, Shaq, or even Emeka for that matter.

Peace

If you put Hawes and Oden in a shooting contest...Hawes wins easily. No he is not as strong or dominating in the paint as Oden but definitely a better shooter.

Robzagnut
05-23-2007, 02:12 PM
>If you put Hawes and Oden in a shooting contest...Hawes wins easily.

In the NBA there is a big difference in the ability to shoot as opposed to the ability to get your shot off.

Give me Oden any day and twice on Sunday.

a13coach
05-23-2007, 03:18 PM
>If you put Hawes and Oden in a shooting contest...Hawes wins easily.

In the NBA there is a big difference in the ability to shoot as opposed to the ability to get your shot off.

Give me Oden any day and twice on Sunday.

I am not saying Oden is not a better NBA prospect, just merely saying Hawes is a better shooter.

ZagManFan
05-23-2007, 10:24 PM
That's not saying much, my 6 year old may be able to shoot better than Oden. Plus I don't remember Shaq being much of a shooter.

Zag79
05-24-2007, 12:06 AM

i know you not going to say greg oden is better O than spencer hawes. hawes has better inside and outside shooting range (easily), way better handles, and the ability to pass much better. he only lacks in the athleticism dpt which is why oden is the "much better draft pick".

Zagquette
05-24-2007, 06:47 AM
"he only lacks in the athleticism dpt"

I agree with you. And that is why I don't think he will ever become a " 'dependable go-to scorer' vs the likes of Camby, Duncan, Yao, Shaq, or even Emeka for that matter."

Why do you think Ammo struggled so much this year? That dude has a crazy offensive arsenal, but he got wore down by stronger, athletic players that dominate the NBA.

Maybe Hawes will prove me wrong.

peace

Birddog
05-24-2007, 09:59 AM
Sonics new ownership is holding the city hostage.

Hmmmmm, let's see here, smallest arena, horribly outdated, some of the worst attendance figures, what the heck would you do? I find these comments laughable, and I'm no fan of Clay Bennett. If Seattle wants to keep the Sonics then somebody has to step up to the plate. Bennett hasn't said it publicly, but he really doesn't want to move the team to OKC if he doesn't have too, he paid to much for them for this market and the ROI will be a long time coming. Don't get me wrong, he wants a team in OKC, it's just that the Sonics are not that great a fit. He really, really wanted to get control of the Hornets from Shinn, but Shinn wouldn't let go.

Birddog

soonerterp
05-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Hmmmmm, let's see here, smallest arena, horribly outdated, some of the worst attendance figures, what the heck would you do? I find these comments laughable, and I'm no fan of Clay Bennett. If Seattle wants to keep the Sonics then somebody has to step up to the plate. Bennett hasn't said it publicly, but he really doesn't want to move the team to OKC if he doesn't have too, he paid to much for them for this market and the ROI will be a long time coming. Don't get me wrong, he wants a team in OKC, it's just that the Sonics are not that great a fit. He really, really wanted to get control of the Hornets from Shinn, but Shinn wouldn't let go.

Birddog

True ...

BDog I'm sorry for the post that only you will understand since you live here, but Dean Blevins is extra-making me throw up in my mouth lately, ever since Seattle got the No. 2 pick. His "Our Sonics" and "Our Hornets" crap is inappropriate, if not laughable (I personally prefer Mark Rogers at KOCO, but when I get home from work the only local news I can find to watch is the KWTV rebroadcasts on Cox 53 in greater OKC).

And Prima Deana isn't the only one pulling this crap at KWTV-9. Toby Rowland is doing it too, of course, he's Dean's underling and he's probably following orders ... I had hoped at one time that Rowland had his own mind. Guess not.

And don't forget, Clay Bennett sleeps with a member of the OPUBCO board of directors. Certainly the power of the monopoly media here drives some of this crap.

I don't want the Sonics here -- not that they're unwelcome, mind you. It's just that I am not keen on Oklahoma City having a major professional team and incurring the bad will of the city from which that team was taken. The way I view it, I think OKC does deserve a major sports franchise, but I'd rather it be through expansion ... and since that's NOT going to happen, then not at all.

Birddog
05-24-2007, 12:38 PM
Dean Blevins is extra-making me throw up in my mouth lately
I've been out of town for a week, has he been worse than normal? Smarmy is a a good word to describe Deano.

Birddog

soonerterp
05-24-2007, 03:33 PM
I've been out of town for a week, has he been worse than normal? Smarmy is a a good word to describe Deano.

Oh yes, Prima Deana's been smarmier than ever!

More later.

MickMick
05-24-2007, 04:39 PM

Birddog

I am a sports fan first. But I am against the idea of publicly financed venues for private owners and the eventual extortion by the same private owners to get better publicly financed venues. I am against unproven rookie players receiving 10 year/100 million dollar contracts at the expense of a schoolbus or halfway house. The outrageous salary could have been cut in half and helped pay for the arena.

Where does it end? It started with individual owners, but that is now not enough. Indeed, because of the spiraling franchise values (in part because of public financed venues), it has already evolved into groups and cooperatives that own (can afford) teams. Eventually it will be the Exxon's of the world that own (can afford) the major franchises. So while they bank record profit for gas, you can attend an arena (with their name on it) that you financed with your tax money....while they collect your admission, parking, and concessions to see "their" team. This is not farfetched...this is where it is headed. Congrats to Seattle taxpayers for not "buying in" to the crap.

As far as low attendance. The NBA in general could go along way towards improving their fan base by cleaning the sport up and presenting an image that people with wallet can identify with. When you alienate suburban America, you drastically reduce your income potential.

As you can see...I have about had it with professional sports. Let Oklahomans buy the owners a new arena.

Birddog
05-25-2007, 05:57 AM
I am against the idea of publicly financed venues for private owners and the eventual extortion by the same private owners to get better publicly financed venues. I am against unproven rookie players receiving 10 year/100 million dollar contracts at the expense of a schoolbus or halfway house.

Sonics new ownership is holding the city hostage. I am now officially a Portland fan.
Can't have it both ways. Doesn't Allen want out of his deal in Portland?
I don't disagree with you, but the fact of the matter is that the public has decided to pay for the arenas etc, so if you want a team you have to play the game. Personally, I could care less about the NBA, NFL, or MLB. I get the feeling that many Okies now have the feeling that they have "made it" since they were temporarily a "major league" city. It's not unlike the civic pride Seattle exhibited some 30 years ago when they got the Sonics.

Birddog

soonerterp
05-25-2007, 10:51 AM
Doesn't Allen want out of his deal in Portland?

Far from it apparently. Allen recently bought back the Rose Garden, and everything, obviously, is looking up for the Portland Trail Blazers.

And good for them.