PDA

View Full Version : GU #9 on Andy Katz Preseason Top 25

JoeZag
10-15-2010, 10:25 AM
On his blog today, Andy has a revised Top 25 that has the Zags at #9!

" 9. Gonzaga: The Zags had quite a summer with Elias Harris, Kelly Olynyk and Robert Sacre all playing for their respective national teams. Gonzaga put together arguably the toughest nonconference schedule in the country, too. If Demetri Goodson and Steven Gray can elevate their game as lead guards after the departure of Matt Bouldin, the Zags will be deserving of a top-10 ranking."

Entire article here (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/5687640/after-five-months-time-new-top-25).

ridgebackzag
10-15-2010, 10:33 AM
Beat me to it. I wish our newcomers could get a shoutout though.

dim4sum
10-15-2010, 10:39 AM
the guard play will make or break this team. the coaching staff should not allow anyone in the backcourt to feel complacent. practices should be held on the premise that anyone has a shot at starting, even the famous name kid.

BobZag
10-15-2010, 10:39 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14134634/final-preseason-top-25-and-one-its-the-work-of-the-devils

RockandRollJames
10-15-2010, 10:42 AM
Beat me to it. I wish our newcomers could get a shoutout though.

I don't know what would be said about any of our newcomers. I personally am not expecting too much from them this year. From a national scene like ESPN and limited space to talk about us, there is no reason to include any of our newcomers. Do you think any of the new guys have bigger story lines as those listed? I don't. I can only see Carter potentially having a bigger impact than the players listed. But, the play of Meech is a bigger headline to be mentioned.

ZagNative
10-15-2010, 10:54 AM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/story/14134634/final-preseason-top-25-and-one-its-the-work-of-the-devilsSeems like Parrish has us higher to start this year than he usually does ...
13. Gonzaga

Comment: Mark Few turned down job offers from bigger schools for the 177th consecutive offseason. Now he has another team ready to win another WCC championship. Elias Harris, Steve Gray and Robert Sacre headline the roster.

CDC84
10-15-2010, 11:51 AM
Carter deserves a little more pub than he's getting. He's not being mentioned enough. I recall one website saying that GU didn't have any newcomers worth getting excited about. I don't get it. He's worth getting excited about. Marquise was a juco AA who led his team to the national title game (and he scored 37 in that game). He turned down schoolie offers from the likes of Baylor, Texas A&M and Oklahoma to come to GU. I can tell you that juco players don't typically get as many high major offers as Marquise did. When they do, it's usually because there is something worth "getting excited about."

I would be highly surprised if Sam Dower didn't make a significant impact this season (again, if you can call him a newcomer - he's been in the system for a year). Carter will probably make a bigger impact because he will see more minutes, but Sam will make an impact. In fact, he could've made a impact last season, but he wanted to maximize his eligibility. Coach Few has repeatedly said that Sam didn't redshirt for the reasons that freshman typically redshirt at Gonzaga. SD gives Gonzaga what they didn't have last year.....an additional true big man who can rebound and block shots, but most importantly, SCORE. He's one of the most offensively skilled big men Few has ever brought in. His presence gives the coaching staff options that they simply didn't have last season. He's worth mentioning.

Keep in mind that few of the preseason prognostications last season mentioned Elias Harris. When you recruit international kids, the pundits just aren't going to be aware of what's going on. What they're looking for are top 100 U.S. high school recruits....players who they can link to on U.S. recruiting websites. Not that I'm expecting any of the international newcomers to come close to making an Elias-like impact, but there are reasons why they aren't being mentioned that much. It's not without precedent.

Reborn
10-15-2010, 01:08 PM
I too am thinking that Dower is going to be pretty good. I really liked how his team photo shows that he's put on some muscle. He's built like Kuso, but he can score on offense. I think Dower's going to develop into a frist rate Power forward/center over time.....He adds depth in the post positions, something that Gonzaga has truly missed since Casey Calvary et al. Gonzaga's frontcourt is going to be tough, folks.

Andy Katz, imo, is the #1 analyst for college basketball. Nice to see he has the Zags at #9.