PDA

View Full Version : GU recruits get Stars

guniverse
10-08-2010, 08:38 AM
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/2250
I always here on the boards how BCS recruits get more stars just based on the program the player is linked to alla wiljer going from four to five stars following his Kentucky recruitment. I was thinking about how Spangler and Pangos were unranked a few weeks ago and then they commit to Gonzaga and somehow the stars and 90's rankings come out. Not saying these two recruits are not justifiable because i think like most gu recruits they will exceed expectation, but did gonzaga recruits get stars because of where they committed like Kentuckys do. If so what does that say about our program? Are we getting closer to that type of national image?

Baldwinzag
10-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Yes, indeedy.

http://www.fundalarm.com/stars1.JPG

CDC84
10-08-2010, 08:51 AM
As someone mentioned yesterday, the "star system" at ESPN is a bit strange. How can the 41st rated shooting guard be a 4 star recruit?

GoZags
10-08-2010, 08:58 AM
I always here on the boards how BCS recruits get more stars just based on the program the player is linked to alla wiljer going from four to five stars following his Kentucky recruitment. I was thinking about how Spangler and Pangos were unranked a few weeks ago and then they commit to Gonzaga and somehow the stars and 90's rankings come out. Not saying these two recruits are not justifiable because i think like most gu recruits they will exceed expectation, but did gonzaga recruits get stars because of where they committed like Kentuckys do. If so what does that say about our program? Are we getting closer to that type of national image?

I suppose it depends on which nation we're talking about. Here's a snippet I picked up from the Pangos Pangos Pangos thread (http://www.torontoobserver.ca/2010/10/06/top-guard-prospect-commits-to-gonzaga/)

From the Toronto Observer

Kevin Pangos has verbally committed to play for the Gonzaga University Bulldogs — one of America’s top programs — starting in 2011.

It is my belief that GU's program is considered higher profile by the rest of the nation (and Canada) who appreciate Gonzaga's continued success vs fans of our rivals (i.e. UDub/Conference brethren) who I believe tend to focus on the warts (and there ARE warts).

CaliforniaZaggin'
10-08-2010, 11:48 AM

Sometimes the concept that schools like Duke or North Carolina are always the schools that land the Burger Boys is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Take Greg Paulus, for example. There's no way he gets all the HS basketball awards he did if he committed to St. John's rather than Duke.

810Suited
10-08-2010, 12:00 PM
Sometimes the concept that schools like Duke or North Carolina are always the schools that land the Burger Boys is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Take Greg Paulus, for example. There's no way he gets all the HS basketball awards he did if he committed to St. John's rather than Duke.

Couldn't be further off on Paulus

LongIslandZagFan
10-08-2010, 01:37 PM
I kind of agree with Cali here. Paulus certainly garnered more mystique by being a Duke recruit. 810... I don't think Cali was saying that he wasn't good but rather that the awards likely increased based on the college he chose.

MickMick
10-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Nothing in the world is static. The only guarantee is that things change.

Perhaps GU is turning the corner on recognition for recruits.

As if it means anything. Case in point: UNC last season. Butler last season.

Even if all Zag recruits were awarded elite status by internet pundits, the proof of player value still remains in games and on the court. Where it should be.

A top 25 recruiting class is far less significant than being one of the remaining 16 teams in March.

RenoZag
10-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Even if all Zag recruits were awarded elite status by internet pundits, the proof of player value still remains in games and on the court. Where it should be.

A top 25 recruiting class is far less significant than being one of the remaining 16 teams in March.

:000tens:

GoZags
10-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Nothing in the world is static. The only guarantee is that things change.

Perhaps GU is turning the corner on recognition for recruits.

As if it means anything. Case in point: UNC last season. Butler last season.

Very true. What's also true is that since GU's NCAA tourney streak began in '99, a total of 6 schools have achieved that mark (Sweet 16 or beyond) more often than Gonzaga. Duke, Michigan State, Kansas, UConn, UCLA and Kentucky.

And GU has had a total of 1 Top 25 recruiting class in it's history (Rivals.com). GU has never had a Top 25 recruiting class per Scout.com.

GU's '07 class ranked 17 (http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=910&CID=730394)

roxdoc
10-09-2010, 07:50 AM
Wow - if true, and I have no reason to doubt you - those are pretty telling statistics!

GoZags
10-09-2010, 08:03 AM
Wow - if true, and I have no reason to doubt you - those are pretty telling statistics!

One difference -- those other schools have either multiple Final Fours and/or National Championships whereas the closest Gonzaga has come to a Final Four is 33 seconds and a possession away against eventual National Champion UConn in '99 -- the first year of the streak.

But strictly looking at who has made it to the 2nd weekend of the dance more often than Gonzaga since GU's tourney streak began -- it's those 6 schools. Going into last year, it was 5 schools -- then Kentucky went on their run and surpassed the Zags. Of course, who knows whether or not their "achievements" last year will remain on the books or eventually become "vacated" -- like other "great" Calipari teams. Time will tell.