PDA

View Full Version : Any thoughts on WSU droping the Great Alaska Shootout?

SintoZag
05-22-2007, 06:50 AM
I did not see a thread on this, so I started one. What is the deal. They drop Alaska and do a four team tourney in Spokane, while we are out of town. I am not sure this is a bad thing for either of us, but it does leave a whole in the Alaska tourney that will be tough to fill with a quality team.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sports/2003716673_cougars22.html

dpouley
05-22-2007, 07:46 AM
Tony Bennett decides it is not worth it to play Gonzaga in a home and home every year?:)

CDC84
05-22-2007, 08:19 AM
BZ indicated this was a real possibility a few months ago. I don't blame Bennett and Wazzu whatsoever. The important thing is that they are coming to K2, and to be honest, that matchup, which is now a huge non-league game, has added importance now. The game just wouldn't be the same for me if they matched up in Alaska first. I like the idea of this potentially great game having some sort of build up. Moreover, the game deserves to be played at a time when both teams will have proper rest and preparation time...not at the end of some crazy tournament.

What's really critical now is for the Great Alaska Shootout organizers to get a quality team to replace Wazzu, who would've been the highest ranked team at the event this year. They need a NCAA tourney quality team from a BCS conference at the very least. Unfortunately, the stature of this tournament has dropped in recent years...it could be difficult.

BobZag
05-22-2007, 08:35 AM
This trip to Australia / New Zealand will reap far more rewards than going to Alaska. Recruits are in Australia, some darn good ones too. Smart move by Bennett, imo. Instead of chasing ESPN all over the frigging country, he is doing what's best for his team. What a novel approach.

UberZagFan
05-22-2007, 11:24 AM
Instead of chasing ESPN all over the frigging country, he is doing what's best for his team. What a novel approach.

I wonder who chases ESPN all over the country?

Akzag
05-22-2007, 12:16 PM
What's really critical now is for the Great Alaska Shootout organizers to get a quality team to replace Wazzu, who would've been the highest ranked team at the event this year. They need a NCAA tourney quality team from a BCS conference at the very least. Unfortunately, the stature of this tournament has dropped in recent years...it could be difficult. - CDC

Without meaning to sound defensive, the NCAA has pretty well screwed the GAS over with all the hoops they required UAA to jump through over the years. One of the more damning ones was requiring over an eight-year time period, that each of the Div. I conferences had to be represented. So your Southern, Atlantic Sun, Ivy, etc. all had to have at least one school appear during that span. I don't recall Maui ever have being restricted like that. Could be wrong.

When you think that they get teams to commit a few years out, it really is a crap shoot. I mean, in three years, it is a pretty safe bet that Duke will have an okay team, or at least be a draw. It is quite another to nail it and get the College of Charleston when they just happen to have one of their best years.
Now, while a coach has to do what is best for his team, it sucks for the Shootout to have the Cougs pull out. One has to believe or at least hope that Bennett let his intentions be known early on to UAA, so that they could start trying to line up a quality replacement. But by that time, other teams have lined up this tourny or the other.

What is really sad, is that this is I believe, one of the first years that the GAS would have actually benefitted from the new, looser legislation for pre-season tournaments - the 2-in-4. I expect it to start making up ground, especially with the 30th Anniversary Tournament in a few years.

Anyway - does anybody have the link handy to the CBB dating service site? - I'd like to see if anybody interesting is looking for a weekend date during Thanksgiving.

jbslicer
05-22-2007, 02:58 PM
It will be interesting to see what opponents the Cougs can attract to Spokane.

OregonZag5
05-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Am I the only one who thinks if you agreed to be in the GAS that you should follow through- what ever happened to one's word- What would have happened if WSU had a terrible last year- they would have shown up in AK- No I think they are being selfish- and not following though with a committment- am not impressed.

kdaleb
05-23-2007, 06:43 AM
Am I the only one who thinks if you agreed to be in the GAS that you should follow through
The Gonzaga athletic department apparently disagrees with you... the reason that they're going to Alaska in 2006 is because they backed out in 2004 when they received a last minute invite to Maui.

Just think what we would have missed if the Zags had been true to their word -- no win vs Maryland, no triple overtime stunner vs Michigan State, no down to the wire amazing game vs UConn.

Sometimes a team needs to do whats best for itself. I had no problem with the Zags backing out two years ago, and so that doesn't leave much room to be critical of the Cougs now.

Akzag
05-23-2007, 10:32 AM
Sometimes a team needs to do whats best for itself. I had no problem with the Zags backing out two years ago, and so that doesn't leave much room to be critical of the Cougs now.

Nor should it open up the organizers of the GAS up to criticism. This is the 12th team since 1999, that has committed and then backed out - for one reason or another. It is a tricky thing ... this scheduling.

FWIW - WSU and others have had to pay a buyout clause to back out, if they have not lined up a suitable replacement.