PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 gets that Gonzaga has ever landed?

gozagswoohoo
10-06-2010, 01:56 PM
Just curious...some of you that have a good memory of the last 10 years or so, and some that really follow the recruitment process and rankings, etc...

Who are the Top 5 recruits that the zags have ever landed? Not in terms of how well they ended up being while at Gonzaga, but in terms of what they're rank was when they committed to GU. Can we name them?

sittingon50
10-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Well, there's Meech & then.........................

kingzag
10-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Just off the top . Heytfelt, Bouldin, Daye, Bell and Pargo

DenDiegoZag
10-06-2010, 02:15 PM

Mod's better come in and lock this thread before we have to go through this again...

To answer the question without including players who transferred here (since that is really a different list and question), I'd probably say in no particular order and without dredging through the old player ratings on Scout or wherever:

Daye, Stepp, Josh H., Ravio, and Pargo

Go Zags!

former1dog
10-06-2010, 02:16 PM
#1 - Matt Santangelo

---- Its quite possible the rest wouldn't have come with out him coming in first.

77Zag
10-06-2010, 02:20 PM

Enough!

FlyZag
10-06-2010, 02:32 PM
#1 Daye, #2 Heytvelt, #3 Bouldin, #4 Stepp, I would add Bell to the list but unfortunately we haven't landed him yet. A verbal isn't the same as signing on the line. When he does... then I'll put him at #4 and slide step back to #5.

ZagNut08
10-06-2010, 02:35 PM
Per Rivals

Daye - 25
Bouldin - 45
Gray - 64
Bell - 64
Manny - 88
Sacre - 100 (he was later dropped to 102 after freshman season began)
Dower - 116
Gibbs - 118
Heytvelt - 120
Meech - 132
Pendo - 147

DenDiegoZag
10-06-2010, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't include Pargo because he was seen as toxic material(grades), so a great many programs backed off of him. This didn't end up being an issue, because Pargo busted it in the classroom to get in. I'd say JP Batista was a major snag, since Kansas was after him(I believe).

If we are going to include Juco's and Transfers, then you have to probably put the Burger Boy Downs on Top.

Not to mention Dickau...

BobZag
10-06-2010, 02:41 PM
Erroll Knight and Dan Dickau were transfers but both, especially Erroll, were highly regarded by the recruiting sites.

Austin Daye was the biggest get. Wiltjer would've eclipsed Daye. Really, when you think about it, Few only missed on Wiltjer. He got all the others he originally wanted for 2011.

ridgebackzag
10-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Add Steven Gray (http://www.gozags.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/gray_steven00.html), a 6-4, 190-pound guard, was ranked as the 52nd best player and the 13th best shooting guard in the Class of 2007.

Right off the Player Bio page. Our '07 class was also ranked 11th overall by Rivals.

DenDiegoZag
10-06-2010, 03:06 PM
I disagree because Downs was seen(whether fairly or not) as a head case on his way out of Kansas.

Regardless of what was thought of him when he left KU, he was a McD's AA and as far as ratings go that seems to be the top. It is all pretty arbitrary anyway. But if the question is to who was highest rated and we are including transfers, then Downs should be the top as he was rated out of high school.

DDZ

U Zig, I Zag
10-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Transfer: Downs
Straight-up: Daye

surfmonkey89
10-06-2010, 03:53 PM
So that means Wiltjer will be No 1 when he transfers here?

:)

Erroll Knight and Dan Dickau were transfers but both, especially Erroll, were highly regarded by the recruiting sites.

Austin Daye was the biggest get. Wiltjer would've eclipsed Daye. Really, when you think about it, Few only missed on Wiltjer. He got all the others he originally wanted for 2011.

BobZag
10-06-2010, 03:55 PM

Ahhhh, Micah slipped my mind. You're right.

SunDevilGolfZag
10-06-2010, 04:12 PM
I'll reach back into time and pick Jeff Brown as the top transfer; Dickau too (thanks UW). Daye as the top ranked otherwise.

gamagin
10-06-2010, 04:43 PM
Few
Spitzer
Ammo
Dickau
Turiaf

GoZags
10-06-2010, 05:57 PM
#1 - Matt Santangelo

---- Its quite possible the rest wouldn't have come with out him coming in first.

Bingo, but I also like gamagin's list (and I heard that Stockton guy worked out pretty well, too).

MickMick
10-06-2010, 06:01 PM
Instead of "stars" awarded by recruiting sites, think in terms of what schools were chasing.

Heytvelt had serious attention by Roy Williams and UW was willing to go to extraordinary lengths to get him.

Daye was high profile and had several options.

Bouldin was highly regarded and could have landed at another reputable program.

But if Elias Harris would have played in the U.S. AAU circuit..........

bigparb
10-06-2010, 06:29 PM
some may not remember this, but Sean Mallon was highly regarded coming out of HS.....got a feeling he makes top 5 in this regard....

1-Daye
2-Santangelo
3-Mallon
4-Bouldin
5-Hyetvelt/Gray tie.....

jake
10-06-2010, 07:43 PM
some may not remember this, but Sean Mallon was highly regarded coming out of HS.....got a feeling he makes top 5 in this regard....

1-Daye
2-Santangelo
3-Mallon
4-Bouldin
5-Hyetvelt/Gray tie.....

Good call, I was just scrolling down to mention Mallon. He was a huge get when we signed him.

sittingon50
10-06-2010, 09:18 PM
For the record, I'm a Meech supporter. See, didn't take long to stir things up.

Native, hijack this thread & insert the bunny in here, wouldja? You know, the one that hung out in Medieval England?

tyra
10-06-2010, 09:24 PM
Who are the five biggest "steals" in terms of recruiting. That is, who most exceeded their expectations coming out of high school in terms of performance while in college.

ZagsGoZags
10-07-2010, 01:45 AM
The 07 class was right up there
Sacre in top 100, Daye in top 40, Gray in top 100
that's only three
but that's the closest year I can remember that comes very close to the gigantic cast we have for 2011

gozagswoohoo
10-07-2010, 05:17 AM
Yeah, I think it's pretty close to a lock that Daye was/is the biggest we've ever landed. I still remember the response on the boards when he committed. Lots of shock, amazement, elation. haha

And I'm glad someone mentioned Mallon, I didn't remember that, but yeah, that was a pretty big deal at the time, huh?

CDC84
10-07-2010, 07:33 AM
The biggest get ever for me is Gary Bell Jr......and by a mile. He's the first high level player from the Seattle area to commit to Gonzaga that UW also wanted. Austin Daye may have been more highly ranked, but for me Bell Jr.'s commitment was historic because of all the other factors, in addition to his high recruiting ranking.

I still feel that when it is all said and done, the 2009 class is going to surpass the 2007 class as GU's best class ever. Yes, some 2009 players like Vilarino have departed, but it was a large class, and what remains is what matters.

zag67
10-07-2010, 07:35 AM
In no order:
Morrison
Downs
Dickau
Turriaf
Class of (Sacre, Gray, and Daye)

:) Yes, I cheated............ And there are so many more like Boldin, Calvary, Stockton, Burgess, Heytvelt and it just keeps going. We have been very lucky to have had so many good players.:)

duper
10-07-2010, 10:08 AM
What about Bol Kong? He was pegged for the NBA before he even hit campus.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-07-2010, 10:37 AM
Wasn't Erroll Knight a Top-30 recruit back in high school?

Let's just start a thread entitled the Top 3 players to leave UW and come to the Zags. I'd go with:

1a. Jeff Brown
1b. Dan Dickau
3. Erroll Knight

Once and Future Zag
10-07-2010, 10:48 AM
Good call, I was just scrolling down to mention Mallon. He was a huge get when we signed him.

If I recall, he was literally the first top-100 (at least as formally noted by the recruiting analyists) recruit.

former1dog
10-07-2010, 11:03 AM

Let's just start a thread entitled the Top 3 players to leave UW and come to the Zags. I'd go with:

1a. Jeff Brown
1b. Dan Dickau
3. Erroll Knight

I love Jeff Brown, but IMHO he is #2 on that list.

Fonebone
10-07-2010, 11:06 AM
What about Casey Calvery ? Seems like he was a tranformational recruit - I heard some commentator at the time say that Casey was "too good an athelete" to play at GU. Meaning that he was a BCS quality athelete. Casey raised the bar it seems.

CDC84
10-07-2010, 11:16 AM

Knight was ranked between 71-93 with the major services.

http://rscihoops.com/

He initially chose UW over UCLA, Kansas and Syracuse. Whether he was a transfer or not, he was a very important "get" for Gonzaga from a historical perspective.

It still hurts me whenever I see Erroll.....I always ask myself what could've been. Although he was and still is an important part of the Gonzaga program, his career was totally ruined by injuries. He was never able to fully develop. What's even more disappointing is that Erroll had a strong work ethic. He would've gotten better and better if he had stayed healthy.

gozagswoohoo
10-07-2010, 11:35 AM

He initially chose UW over UCLA, Kansas and Syracuse. Whether he was a transfer or not, he was a very important "get" for Gonzaga from a historical perspective.

It still hurts me whenever I see Erroll.....I always ask myself what could've been. Although he was and still is an important part of the Gonzaga program, his career was totally ruined by injuries. He was never able to fully develop. What's even more disappointing is that Erroll had a strong work ethic. He would've gotten better and better if he had stayed healthy.

He had some REDUNKULOUS 'yam-jobs'....he was fun to watch. I still remember when he hit that go-ahead, game winning 3 pointer against.....(was it USF?). I was in a small, local restaraunt that had tv's on, I started jumping and screaming like a little girl at a Barbie Convention. Everyone was looking at me like some kind of freak. Then I told them all to "Shut up and mind their own DA*# business!!!!"

Okay, well...I didn't use those exact words. It was more along the lines of "Whoops, please accept my sincerest apologies everyone", but you get the point.

former1dog
10-07-2010, 11:50 AM
He had some REDUNKULOUS 'yam-jobs'....he was fun to watch. I still remember when he hit that go-ahead, game winning 3 pointer against.....(was it USF?). I was in a small, local restaraunt that had tv's on, I started jumping and screaming like a little girl at a Barbie Convention. Everyone was looking at me like some kind of freak. Then I told them all to "Shut up and mind their own DA*# business!!!!"

Okay, well...I didn't use those exact words. It was more along the lines of "Whoops, please accept my sincerest apologies everyone", but you get the point.

It was USD.... and I was at the Slim Gym for that one. :D

ZagNut08
10-07-2010, 11:52 AM
I believe it was USD

AMMO got hit with a water bottle thrown by a fan after. If I recall her ran up to Corey Belser after the game tapped him on the shoulder then proceeded to fist pump the air in front of him, it was glorious.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-07-2010, 12:34 PM
I started jumping and screaming like a little girl at a Barbie Convention.

That's my new saying for the day.

JohnOGU
10-07-2010, 12:36 PM
GBJ and Pangos...

Kids are going to be SO good.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-07-2010, 12:39 PM
I love Jeff Brown, but IMHO he is #2 on that list.

Jeff Brown was the National Academic All-American Player of the Year. In my mind, that is the single biggest award ever granted to a Gonzaga player and it deserves more praise than anything that his successors have accomplished.

Jeff Brown was a transformational player for the program - the key player on those 90s teams that helped build the program into one that could recruit the Santangelos and Calvarys.

I'll argue to my grave that Jeff Brown needs to be the next player whose number is retired at Gonzaga. Dan Dickau was great. I loved watching him as much as any player ever to wear the Gonzaga uniform, but I will not put him above Jeff Brown on the All-Time Great Zags list.

gozagswoohoo
10-07-2010, 12:41 PM
You guys were right, it was USD.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=656VKAK4P3k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Ikancagin
10-07-2010, 12:56 PM

1a. Jeff Brown
1b. Dan Dickau
3. Erroll Knight

I think Eric Brady led the UW transfer pack and was instrumental in the GU 90's turn around to its current prominence.

exclusivelee
02-24-2014, 10:29 AM

Adding in some to analyze:

Transfer: Wiltjer
Straight-up: Perkins

Kyle Wiltjer (https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2011-final) narrowly eclipses Micah Downs (https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2005-final) as GU's highest ranked transfer

As for Daye (https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2007-summer) & Perkins (https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2014-summer), they were each ranked #36 in their summer rankings. Final 2007 rankings had Daye at #34 (https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2007-final), while Perkins is not getting the same love from recruiters. Expecting Daye to still hold this honor

... but Wiltjer eclipses Downs as the highest ranked recruit Gonzaga has landed.

northsidezagfan
02-24-2014, 10:40 AM

Well played.

gonzagafan62
02-24-2014, 10:42 AM

:000tens:

seacatfan
02-24-2014, 11:57 AM

I saw Knight a handful of times at UW his freshman year. I thought he was going to be a star at Gonzaga. I still can't believe he was never more than a role player at GU.

GoZags
02-24-2014, 12:30 PM
I saw Knight a handful of times at UW his freshman year. I thought he was going to be a star at Gonzaga. I still can't believe he was never more than a role player at GU.

Might have had something to do with the bone on bone thing going on in his knee.

Vanzagger
02-24-2014, 12:34 PM
Just off the top . Heytfelt, Bouldin, Daye, Bell and Pargo

This is a great list, not to discount how important Santangelo was.

To me if North Carolina doesn't back off Ronny, there is no streak. And of course if Brown doesn't transfer there is no Santangelo

As with many guys, I believe we got Gray before he really hit the national radar

exclusivelee
02-24-2014, 12:52 PM
I think Eric Brady led the UW transfer pack and was instrumental in the GU 90's turn around to its current prominence.

and GU cannot gain another U-Dub transfer (Erroll Knight was the last one in 2002)... the recruitment of Heytvelt most likely contributes a bit to this

and then there's the Australian pipeline which rewarded us in the 90's with John Rillie, Paul Rogers, and Axel Dench, but the GU men's basketball team has not landed one since 1996... Saint Mary's has seemed to swipe that pipeline up and with John Rillie taking the job as an assistant coach at Boise State under head coach Leon Rice, Boise State has been racking up quite a few Australians recently (3 Aussies since Rillie came aboard)... and let's not forget New Mexico's Aussie success landing player of the year candidate Cameron Bairstow (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51163/cameron-bairstow). New Mexico is one team which has been travelling out to Australia (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger-college-basketball-blog/mexico-australia-day-1-lobos-arrive-sydney-grueling-172443002.html) to play some Pro teams during the offseason

On the other hand, the women's team is still gaining commitments from Australian recruits (Georgia Stirton, Kelly Bowan) and had a U-Dub transfer (Katelan Redmon) on their roster recently

seacatfan
02-24-2014, 01:38 PM
GU certainly mines players from overseas, several Euros over the years and of course the Canadian pipeline. Australia certainly produces a number of really good basketball players and as mentioned above several programs make an effort to recruit there. I'm okay w/ not getting any UW transfers in recent years. GU has gotten transfers from power schools like Kansas, Memphis, Louisville and Kentucky. I guess w/ transfers it really doesn't matter what school they come from so long as they are a good fit. It wouldn't hurt to get more players from Western Washington on the roster though.

vandalzag
02-24-2014, 01:40 PM
and GU cannot gain another U-Dub transfer (Erroll Knight was the last one in 2002)... the recruitment of Heytvelt most likely contributes a bit to this

and then there's the Australian pipeline which rewarded us in the 90's with John Rillie, Paul Rogers, and Axel Dench, but the GU men's basketball team has not landed one since 1996... Saint Mary's has seemed to swipe that pipeline up and with John Rillie taking the job as an assistant coach at Boise State under head coach Leon Rice, Boise State has been racking up quite a few Australians recently (3 Aussies since Rillie came aboard)... and let's not forget New Mexico's Aussie success landing player of the year candidate Cameron Bairstow (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/51163/cameron-bairstow). New Mexico is one team which has been travelling out to Australia (http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger-college-basketball-blog/mexico-australia-day-1-lobos-arrive-sydney-grueling-172443002.html) to play some Pro teams during the offseason

On the other hand, the women's team is still gaining commitments from Australian recruits (Georgia Stirton, Kelly Bowan) and had a U-Dub transfer (Katelan Redmon) on their roster recently
I think the Aussie pipeline dried up do to an assistant leaving (can't remember for sure) but at the same time Tommy can on board and had the Euro connect so that is where the focus went

Martin Centre Mad Man
02-24-2014, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=vandalzag;989589]I think the Aussie pipeline dried up do to an assistant leaving (can't remember for sure) but at the same time Tommy can on board and had the Euro connect so that is where the focus went[

I thought that Rillie and Rogers were both plucked out of junior colleges. I could be wrong.

exclusivelee
02-24-2014, 02:23 PM
GU certainly mines players from overseas, several Euros over the years and of course the Canadian pipeline. Australia certainly produces a number of really good basketball players and as mentioned above several programs make an effort to recruit there. I'm okay w/ not getting any UW transfers in recent years. GU has gotten transfers from power schools like Kansas, Memphis, Louisville and Kentucky. I guess w/ transfers it really doesn't matter what school they come from so long as they are a good fit. It wouldn't hurt to get more players from Western Washington on the roster though.

I am certainly not mad about not picking up transfers from U-Dub, but GU has certainly had a great track record with them. My comments were just pointing out what we used to acquire and that it did work very well for us with those 3 Australian players. Wish we could still steal another one.... and other than Pangos, we haven't had any quality international guards in a while (Manny and Bol could have been special for us... don't need to say much about Edi, Keita, Monninghoff, PMAC, Forbes)... is Pangos the only international guard who has had a strong impact for GU since Quentin Hall?

lawprof99
02-24-2014, 05:35 PM
Jim McPhee. Second leading (mens') scorer of all time Gonzaga basketball.

NotoriousZ
02-24-2014, 05:51 PM
Per Rivals

Daye - 25
Bouldin - 45
Gray - 64
Bell - 64
Manny - 88
Sacre - 100 (he was later dropped to 102 after freshman season began)
Dower - 116
Gibbs - 118
Heytvelt - 120
Meech - 132
Pendo - 147

Perkins was right around 24, yes? Not sure if it was a Rivals assessment, but I seem to recall the ESPN crawl saying something like "#24 recruit Josh Perkins commits to Gonzaga." That was a good day!

Spokane24
02-24-2014, 05:57 PM
Come on folks:
J. Stockton
Frank Burgess
Dickau
Calvary
Santagnelo

ZagaZags
02-24-2014, 08:24 PM
I think the idea is to come up with a top 5 during GUs run. I have 2 top 5 lists, the first is transfers who came to GU and a list of players who came to GU directly.

Top 5 transfers,
J.P Batista
Micah Downs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9_rPXu8ilE
Dan Dickau
Bakari Hendrix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ci6zMEOlk
Kyle Wiltjer

Top 5 direct to GU

Ronny Turiaf
Matt Santangelo
Casey Calvary
Adam Morrison
Kelly Olynyk

My favorite all-time Zags

Robert Sacre
Ronny Turiaf
Sam Dower
Casey Calvary
Matt Santangelo
Gary Bell

ZAGLAWQB
02-25-2014, 01:28 PM
In reverse, didn't we contribute an assistant coach to "down under" that has had an oscar like career?

exclusivelee
07-15-2014, 10:56 AM
Sabonis was ranked #26 (5-star) by 24/7 (http://247sports.com/Player/Domantas-Sabonis-47202) & 4-star on Rivals (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Domantas-Sabonis-161699)... RSCI ranked Sabonis #92 (https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2014-final) in the Final rankings (not a fair ranking since 24/7 was the only site with a ranking for him)

Perkins was ranked #56 by ESPN (http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/112141/josh-perkins), #67 by Rivals (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Josh-Perkins-126836), #75 by 24/7 (http://247sports.com/Player/Josh-Perkins-22245), & #79 by Scout (http://www.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=5879663) (Each rating is a 4-star)... RSCI ranked Perkins #60 (https://sites.google.com/site/rscihoops/home/2014-final) in the Final rankings

Jesse Wade is currently ranked #102 on Scout (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?47100-Jesse-Wade-commits&p=1020559#post1020559) (4-star) (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?47100-Jesse-Wade-commits&p=1020088#post1020088), #145 on Rivals (3-star) (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?47100-Jesse-Wade-commits&p=1023777#post1023777), & 4-star on ESPN (http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?47100-Jesse-Wade-commits&p=1026072#post1026072), and 24/7 has yet to evaluate him (http://247sports.com/Player/Jesse-Wade-36306) (each of his ratings and rankings have been updated within the last month or so)

zag67
07-15-2014, 12:03 PM
1. Frank Burgess
2. John Stockton
3. KO
4. Turiaf
5. Cavalry

This may change with those that we now have.

Transfers:
1. Dickau
2. KW
3.Micah Downs
4. Batista

zagmantis2001
07-15-2014, 03:05 PM
1. Frank Burgess
2. John Stockton
3. KO
4. Turiaf
5. Cavalry

This may change with those that we now have.

Transfers:
1. Dickau
2. KW
3.Micah Downs
4. Batista

In my mind, transfers and junior college transfers are a bit different because of where they come from: Junior College vs. Division I. Batista was a JC transfer I believe. Would not put them in the same category as a transfer from Division I.

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-15-2014, 04:01 PM
I think the idea is to come up with a top 5 during GUs run. I have 2 top 5 lists, the first is transfers who came to GU and a list of players who came to GU directly.

Top 5 transfers,
J.P Batista
Micah Downs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9_rPXu8ilE
Dan Dickau
Bakari Hendrix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3ci6zMEOlk
Kyle Wiltjer

Top 5 direct to GU

Ronny Turiaf
Matt Santangelo
Casey Calvary
Adam Morrison
Kelly Olynyk

My favorite all-time Zags

Robert Sacre
Ronny Turiaf
Sam Dower
Casey Calvary
Matt Santangelo
Gary Bell

The Top 5 transfers list has to include Jeff Brown.

CDC84
07-15-2014, 06:09 PM
A name that everyone seems to forget: Theo Davis. Universal top 50 player. 39 with Rivals. A couple of services had him in the top 25.

Just never had a passion for the game.

GrizZAG
07-15-2014, 10:02 PM
Personal all time favorites (different than OP parameters perhaps..

All time EVER...Adam Morrison (couldn't stand to lose)
JP Batista (class act, solid and reliable) UCLA flub was a fluke
Ronny Turiaf (Lovable, played with heart) No pun intended
Derek Ravio (Money, just money)
Jeremy Pargo (Could let it all hang out with exciting athleticism)
Hart, Pendo, Knight, Bell, KO, Pangos all get my man love....
There are more of course.

Undeniably this might not be the list of best ever like Stockton Sr., Dickau, Calvary, Santangelo and others, but I sure liked them a ton and still do.

gonzagafan62
07-16-2014, 08:17 AM
My Faves:

Ronny Turiaf
Robert Sacre
Kevin Pangos
Jeremy Pargo
Quentin Hall
Casey Calvary

Yeah, all the colorful guys, but they all made me laugh every interview. As for Pargo and Pangos, just absolute skill and the war of attrition brings them on my list.