• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CDC84
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Opponent alert - Baylor: Dunn suspended indefinitely

Baylor indefinitely suspended leading scorer LaceDarius Dunn on Tuesday after he surrendered to police to face an aggravated assault charge accusing him of breaking his girlfriend's jaw during an argument last week.

Charged with 2nd degree felony of aggravated assault. Punched a girl during a domestic dispute and broke her jaw.
  • Baldwinzag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

suspended indefinitely = one game for a *star* player nowadays.

Its the popular trend and seems many colleges feel labeling a suspension "indefinite" is enough consequence in itself.

Just ask Oregon, Georgia, Tennessee, Florida, and all the other Football schools whom announced their star player(s) were 'suspended indefinitely' following arrests or trouble with the Law before the 2010 season began. In nearly every incident, they were suspended only one game for off-the-field behavior.

Sad news and wish the victim a speedy recovery, yet I'm certain we'll seem Mr. Dunn on the court vs the Zags.

He averages 20 ppg and is the star for Baylor. Color me shocked if its more than a game.

Now, if he would have taken money from a deceptive agent, then that would have gotten the NCAA's attention and a long-term suspension(even expulsion) potentially would have resulted. The NCAA could care less about college athletes breaking THE law, only how a player or institution potentially breaks THEIR laws.

College football and its current issues are a great example of this...

Quick OT moment---the Florida Gators had 27, yes 27 players on their football team arrested over the past 2 seasons alone. The NCAA didn't even blink an eye at these occurences or even take the time to meet with or possibly investigate "institutional control" at Florida. No potential suspensions or even probation for Coach Urban Myer or their athletes. The NCAA simply does not care about societal rules & regulations, only their own agenda & $$$$. However, on the same note, USC had 2 players receive money & bribes from a manipulative agent over 1 season and the NCAA suspended the School, placed them on 4 years probation, a 2 year Bowl Ban, 1 yr NCAA ban, claimed a lack of "insitutional control", stripped their College athletics of 35 scholarships over next 3 years, and even wiped away a National Championship. Over one player accepted free accomodations for his family under the table. It still took the NCAA 5 YEARS of internal investigation @USC to discover this 'horrific' behavior. I realize this is completely OT and a small tangent, but there seems to be misguided intentions on behalf of NCAA.

Why not step in for legal issues as well? I mean real legal issues, not an athlete who accepts money for his family from a future agent who is going pro anyway in a couple months. IF Baylor suspends this kid, it will be their decision, if they only suspend him until the start of the season, then no one will care and the NCAA will deem him eligible and at least the school has "order & control" over their athletes. Its an a$$ backwards system, imo.

This short video clip by Bryant Gumbel is worth a look:

Crime & Punishment in the NCAA: insitutional control
    Last edited by Baldwinzag; 10-05-2010, 01:59 PM.
    “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• zagzilla
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Tennessee did the right thing, though

Although the temptation to go soft on star players is real. Bruce Pearl got it right when they kicked Tyler Smith off the team for guns and dope. Also note, in this case indefinitely meant a month

"On January 1, 2010, Tyler Smith, Cameron Tatum, Brian Williams, and Melvin Goins were arrested for weapons charges and marijuana possession.[10] Bruce Pearl suspended the four players. Tyler Smith was dismissed from the team,[11] Goins and Tatum were reinstated, while Williams remained on indefinite suspension. Williams was reinstated to the team on Sat., Feb 6, 2010.[12]"

Say what you will about Pearl but kicking a potential NBA lottery pick off the team was a blow but correct. Wish there were more examples like this

Comment

• CDC84
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Coach Drew strikes me as being a guy who tolerates no nonsense. And remember, this is Baylor we're talking about. Drew was hired to clean up the program and build it up again after the Bliss scandal.

Comment

• zaggernaut
          Bulldog Fan
          • Dec 2008

http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/2010/10/05

Not sure if I believe this version of the story but it does show that its too early to jump to conclusions. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Comment

• sittingon50
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I'm in agreement with CDC. This may not be a garden variety suspension.
            But we don't play nobody.

Comment

• Baldwinzag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by zaggernaut View Post
              http://community.foxsports.com/goodmanonfox/blog/2010/10/05

Not sure if I believe this version of the story but it does show that its too early to jump to conclusions. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.
              Yup.

As the old adage goes,

Ei incumbit probatio qui dicit, non qui negat.
              “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Comment

• zagfan07
                Kennel Club Alum
                • Oct 2007

His girlfriend's name is LaCharlesia?! That's a new one
                GU Class of '07

Comment

• ridgebackzag
                  Kennel Club
                  • Jan 2009

Even though he broke the girl's jaw, he'll probably go deferred and get a 1 game suspension. I guess the Duke incident wasn't enough for the NCAA to take this stuff seriously.

Oregon's LaMichael James
                  - 1 game suspension
                  Wake's Tony Woods - Preferential treatment? You decide.

I could list more, but frankly I got tired of reading the ways these guys snake their way through the legal system. It's not even the player's fault (aside from the crime), it's the people that are making money and entertainment out of these kids that are getting them off.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                    • Feb 2007

So she hears he is cheating on her, she drives over to Dallas to confront him about it and he busts her jaw. Did I get that right?
                    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• titopoet
                      Zag for Life
                      • Apr 2008

I am not sure that it will work out for Dunn to get off easy as the others. (You can add UNLV to that list with how they suspended Tre'Von Willis for a mere three games for a similar offense.) The difference is Dave Bliss incident. I don't think Baylor will take any chances and just slap Dunn's wrist, they may come down hard on him just to avoid any whiff of scandal.
                      ----
                      Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• ridgebackzag
                        Kennel Club
                        • Jan 2009

I feel the need to update considering my previous post...

ESPN is now reporting that it was an accident as well. We'll see how this pans out.

Comment

• northsidezagfan
                          Zag for Life
                          • Mar 2009

Apparently he is suspended from class as well while the investigation is going on. Sounds like this is just protocol but it might turn out to be pretty serious.

Comment

• CB4
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2009

Gotta be tough for him, especially considering both parties have acknowledged that it was an accident. I hope it works out for everyone involved.

Comment

• primal23
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by CB4 View Post
                              Gotta be tough for him, especially considering both parties have acknowledged that it was an accident. I hope it works out for everyone involved.
                              I dunno, it stinks of "NO REALLY I fell down the stairs to get this black eye and broken arm." But maybe its just because I am rather cynical lol
                              11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
                              "Make it yourself"
                              "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
                              "Okay"

Comment

Working...
                              X