PDA

View Full Version : The Mikan Drill - Question for Gonzaga fans

ZagNative
09-30-2010, 01:35 PM
From he Mikan Drill Blog (http://tlorc.wordpress.com/2010/09/27/inside-the-play-gonzaga-gets-shooters-open/) (with video):

Inside the play: Gonzaga gets shooters open
Posted on September 27, 2010 by jriddell

Last season, Gonzaga had two deadly shooters in Matt Bouldin and Steven Gray. They liked to run this play which allowed both of them to run off screens and work to get open. It gave the ball handler options and forced the defense to guard both Bouldin and Gray instead of focusing on one of them, while the other was not moving.

It’s a fairly simple play but it is a nice play because of its simplicity and available options. Let’s break it down.
It will be interesting to see who is paired with Gray when this play is run this year. Harris and Olynyk have both shown to be capable shooters, but I am not sure they would be effective in running this play and shooting off the screen. Any insight Gonzaga fans?

LongIslandZagFan
09-30-2010, 01:52 PM
Most likely successors to work with Gray on this play?

The two most likely suspects:

Manny - Out of the group he is the most likely sucessor. He can catch and shoot well and has the speed off the ball. (80-85% chance)

Kelly - While less likely to be the one in this play, he moves well for his size and if he could force some serious mismatches with his height. (5-10% chance)

Much less likely

Hyland/Keita - If either lives up to 1/10 the billing, they could possibly do this. This would be perfect for Hyland as his low release won't impact him as much on this type of play. Hyland would certainly strike me as Gray's succesor. (5-10% chance)

dim4sum
09-30-2010, 01:53 PM
As I understand it, the Mikan drill is a drill for bigs, involving consecutive put backs, one with the left hand and the other with the right hand. If the definition has changed since the Pleistocene perod, I stand corrected.

LongIslandZagFan
09-30-2010, 01:56 PM
As I understand it, the Mikan drill is a drill for bigs, involving consecutive put backs, one with the left hand and the other with the right hand. If the definition has changed since the Pleistocene perod, I stand corrected.

Ummm... Read the article please.

ZagNut08
09-30-2010, 01:58 PM
I was confused too, had to click to the link...

Didn't realize it was the name of a blog.

kitzbuel
09-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Most likely successors to work with Gray on this play?

The two most likely suspects:

Manny - Out of the group he is the most likely sucessor. He can catch and shoot well and has the speed off the ball. (80-85% chance)

Kelly - While less likely to be the one in this play, he moves well for his size and if he could force some serious mismatches with his height. (5-10% chance)

Much less likely

Hyland/Keita - If either lives up to 1/10 the billing, they could possibly do this. This would be perfect for Hyland as his low release won't impact him as much on this type of play. Hyland would certainly strike me as Gray's succesor. (5-10% chance)

Mönninghoff could be an option in the Hyland/Keita mix possibly.

OZZY
09-30-2010, 04:20 PM
Whichever Wing is on the floor, Manny or Elias would be my bet.

Just A Zag
09-30-2010, 11:50 PM
FREE GJ....that video makes me sad..

Crazy
10-01-2010, 01:44 AM
i don't think that Elias or Manny would profitate much from this play, for me both ain't those natural shooters where you go for a three point shot often. I believe Carter and Hyland could take the role from Bouldin.

CanadianZagFan
10-01-2010, 01:56 AM
Maybe coach Few will not have this set in the offense this year, Matt was a special player and you don't necessarily just put someone in his place. I am sure coach will implement sets that take the best advantage of the roster he has this year. He could have Gray flaring for a 3 while Manny curls a screen for a midrange jumper (Manny's bread and butter).

gamagin
10-01-2010, 08:00 AM
i don't think that Elias or Manny would profitate much from this play, for me both ain't those natural shooters where you go for a three point shot often. I believe Carter and Hyland could take the role from Bouldin.

What does it profitate a natural shooter to gain the whole court but lositate his three point shot ?

Kiddwell
10-01-2010, 08:13 AM
What does it profitate a natural shooter to gain the whole court but lositate his three point shot ?

A dollar and 31 cents. Unless, Gam, you're talking pesos.

mdZag23
10-01-2010, 08:31 AM
This play is only successful when you have guys that are BOTH, great catch and shoot shooters and guys who really know how to run people of screens.

Matt and Steven are both very good at that, so i think we can expect Steven to only get better at this. Unless I missed something watching Manny, I just don't see him as a great catch and shoot guy. Both he and Kelly seem to be better SPOT UP shooters. As for the other guys, none of us have seen them in big D1 games to determine what type of shooter they may be.

Crazy
10-02-2010, 05:35 AM
i meant, that i won't play lot of plays for them, who end up in a 3 point shot, both of them are much stronger in attacking the basket and making there 3pointer when the defensiv player sinks down in defence.

Martin Centre Mad Man
10-02-2010, 06:22 AM
i meant, that i won't play lot of plays for them, who end up in a 3 point shot, both of them are much stronger in attacking the basket and making there 3pointer when the defensiv player sinks down in defence.

That is a good point. Both of those players are better when they are moving toward the basket, but have the ability to take a shot from outside if the defense leaves them open.

bigblahla
10-02-2010, 07:07 AM
Having no clue about the Mathi if Hyland can move his feet fast enough on "D" then I think he's the other go to option on this play. If not, say hello to GG2. To get on the floor as a 2-3 you have to play "D" with your feet not from the waist up.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

hooter73
10-02-2010, 09:08 AM
from what I'm gathering Hyland is a good candidate to red shirt, Arop and Carter could maybe do it with jumpers but they are a bit slower on the releases, so it could be the Mathis shooter (forget which one TSSF said was the outside guy) and Gray for this. The constant movement of Bouldin is what I always liked watching with him.