PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone surpass Elias Harris...

BobZag
09-28-2010, 04:32 PM
...as the best Zag on the team this season?

My answer: Yes, based on a hunch. I just have a funny feeling that somebody is going to blow up and far exceed previous expectations. Not sure exactly who - Kelly, Marquise, Sam, Steven, Rob, Mangisto, Mathis M. - but I feel it could very well happen, be it stats or other means.

jazzdelmar
09-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Kelly!!!

d2zag
09-28-2010, 05:06 PM
If someone performs better than Elias this season, we are going to go very, very far in the Tourney. Just looking at those names on the list, any one of them could blow up this season. I think there will be multiple people on that list that are going to have HUGE seasons. Don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but this looks like the best GU team of all time, offensively and defensively.

bartruff1
09-28-2010, 05:19 PM
No....my hope is he makes a real effort to make the others better...

Zags-Bsee
09-28-2010, 05:43 PM
It doesn't get much better for the Zags or Elias than you being able to seriously ask that question.

I love this board. I would have missed Kelly's FIBA games. He is a completely different player.
Manny was great before hurting his foot. Steven and Rob are already difficult for the opposing teams.

So no team can just focus on Elias. Which means he will hurt them, bad! :D

So Yes, they will all have games where they "blow up". But Elias will then EXPLODE.

But I am an optomist that loves the Zags.

MickMick
09-28-2010, 05:58 PM
In my opinion, the only player with an outside shot is Manny Arop.

I think his upside is huge, huge. He didn't take on a scoring role last season but his play in international ball leads me to believe he can step up when called upon.

When/if Elias leaves, Manny is my candidate for the player that will be regarded as the best on the team. I simply can't envision him as an "energy" guy off the bench as some have suggested.

bigparb
09-28-2010, 06:10 PM

My answer: Yes, based on a hunch. I just have a funny feeling that somebody is going to blow up and far exceed previous expectations. Not sure exactly who - Kelly, Marquise, Sam, Steven, Rob, Mangisto, Mathis M. - but I feel it could very well happen, be it stats or other means.

bz...no disrespect intended, but why do this? All it does is encourage irrational thinking around here...

Bottom line....ain't no one surpassing EH as "Da Man" this year.....please don't go there.....and anyone who suggests this is possible just exposes themselves in a temporary moment of insanity....

CDC84
09-28-2010, 06:12 PM
I doubt he will surpass Elias this season, but if Arop ever stays healthy and sees consistent floor time, look out. He's got instincts as a player that you can't teach. It goes beyond him playing hard. Pendo played hard. Casey Calvary played hard. But Manny has a nose for the basketball that goes beyond playing hard. The fact that he has a huge wingspan and great athleticism makes his upside all the more intriguing.

maynard g krebs
09-28-2010, 06:23 PM
What Mick and CDC said.

theothegreat21
09-28-2010, 06:49 PM
From what I have read from the posters on this board, I would have to guess that Mike Hart is probably the best bet.

MDABE80
09-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Gray puts up 18-20 ppg, plays hard defense, snags 5 rpg and dishes 5-7 pg, yes...he'll surpass. Do I think he can do that? Yes I do. Will he? Not sure. He's got the talent if he regains his FT shooting and 3 pt game again. He's the one kid who can pile up points in a hurry...those 3 pt'ers get a kid to double figures very quicky.

FlagZag
09-28-2010, 08:13 PM
I'm going out on a limb here but without the double team he faced last year Big Rob will make a big statement.

Rbo
09-28-2010, 08:51 PM
I'm hoping for incremental improvement by the big 3: Harris, Gray and Sacre; a big leap by Kelly, Arop or Meech; and a splash by one newcomer (my money's on Carter or possibly Morninghoff). Anything beyond that is gravy.

At the end of the year, I predict Harris and Gray will duke it out for MVP. Value play longshots are Sacre and KO.

cggonzaga
09-28-2010, 09:01 PM
If someone performs better than Elias this season, we are going to go very, very far in the Tourney. Just looking at those names on the list, any one of them could blow up this season. I think there will be multiple people on that list that are going to have HUGE seasons. Don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but this looks like the best GU team of all time, offensively and defensively.

I agree. If someone surpasses EH we are in for one hell of a year. It's going to be hard for someone to play better than All American status.

FuManShoes
09-28-2010, 09:18 PM
What's the definition of "best Zag"? If it's the best all around player I'd take umbrage with that title going to Elias at this point. Steven is one of if not the best defenders on the team and one of the most well-rounded scorers and precision passers, not to mention a cool hand and a leader. Yes, I said leader. Quibble if you want with his quiet demeanor, the guy steps up and calms those around him. With the exception of a few duds last year he was nails. On this roster I maintain he's the best player, though several others have wide skill sets and may excel in one or two areas more than Steven (i.e. Elias' ability to get to the rim and nab boards).

seasontixholder
09-29-2010, 03:06 AM

One or more could, but it won't mean much unless it is Carter or (noticeably and curiously absent) Meech. If it is one or both of those, then GU will toy with most teams and compete favorably with the cream. If not, it will look like a Bouldin-less mish mash of improved players, but disjointed and vulnerable to smart, talented opponents. Personally, I expect Carter to play at a very high level.

Bob, could you explain why Goodson wasn't mentioned? Honest oversight?

titopoet
09-29-2010, 06:28 AM
What do you mean by better player. Better numbers, maybe. But sometime numbers don't tell the whole story. A couple of games I remember thinking that Pendo was the best player on court even as he came out with weak numbers, little points and little rebounds. (You don't get stats for back screens giving Ravio open 3s or clearly the lane for a Pargo drive. They get the glory and you get bruises for throwing your body around and of course the approval of coaches.)

I remember a game where the best player in the game got 0 points, 3 assists to go with 2 TOs and 3 rebounds in 32 minutes of playing. His team won by 30 because of his effort (or non effort). The game was the only one in which Stephan Curry did not score a point. Early on the game with Loyola, Davidson noticed that Loyola double teamed Curry every time down the court. He went high, taking two men with him and the rest of the team played four on three and predictable crushed Loyola. Curry became the best player by doing what is best for the team, instead of forcing his game trying to get his numbers.

Harris, as I have seen him through last season and FIBA play, has that same, whatever-it-takes-to-win mentality. So does Gray. Numbers be damned. This TEAM will be really good.

zag buddy
09-29-2010, 06:49 AM
I believe the beauty of this team is that they are all capable of that honour. If the coaches over control the game it will be Harris or Gray. If all the players have the green light it will be a different player every game. I am very interested to see how the coaches utilize this talented group of young men. Go Zags.

GonzagasaurusFlex
09-29-2010, 07:41 AM

Steven Gray will not surpass EH as best Zag on the team because he is already ahead of him. I'm thrilled EH is getting so much national publicity, but in my book being 'best Zag' means filling whatever role the coaches tell you to with humility and grit...something Steven Gray did last year for us. Was his shooting off at times, sure, but his defensive intensity, toughness and rebounding never were and I'm pretty sure that's the first thing the coaches asked of him last year.

As for EH, well, he'll clearly be called on to be the #1 offensive option this year, which I don't think was the case for Gray last year. Until EH fills his role as go-to offensive player for a full season when other teams will now gear their D to stop him, well, he isn't the best Zag on this team.....Steven Gray is.

hooter73
09-29-2010, 07:47 AM
What are we judging a breakout year on? In the last 5 or so years who are the players you'd say blew up? I first think of Morrison but who else? I can see Sacre having a great year so much so that there is draft talk. I hope for Gray to be crazy good, Arop to make us smile and Carter to be the thing we say we were missing but I dont see a Morrison esque 40 points in one half from anyone. Elias is the newspaper story all year long.

Once and Future Zag
09-29-2010, 08:00 AM
Don't want to get too far ahead of myself, but this looks like the best GU team of all time, offensively and defensively.

I have a hard time seeing this team being better on both ends than the 08-09 team that was the 5th most efficient on offense and 18th on defense.

Yeah, they threw a few clunkers our there (Portland St?)

But look a the first six: Pargo/Daye/Heytvelt/Gray/Downs/Bouldin

It's possible this squad will be better - but it 's not likely IMO

Baldwinzag
09-29-2010, 08:14 AM
I have a hard time seeing this team being better on both ends than the 08-09 team that was the 5th most efficient on offense and 18th on defense.

Yeah, they threw a few clunkers our there (Portland St?)

But look a the first six: Pargo/Daye/Heytvelt/Gray/Downs/Bouldin

It's possible this squad will be better - but it 's not likely IMO

Indeed, that was a great team. No argument there...

IF we somehow could have avoided the eventual National Champion and arguably the best team this decade--UNC Tarheels--the sky was the limit that season. Also, the NCAA field was pretty weak overall that year, which was probably another reason North Carolina won every game in the Tourney by 20+ pts. Some even said Gonzaga was their most challenging opponent in the Tourney...

As much good luck we've had in the past, we've also had our share of horribly bad luck. Don't forgot UCLA went all the way to the NC game after our S16 or UConn winning the NC after our E8 game, etc etc. The list goes on...

Crazy
09-29-2010, 09:11 AM
i think in terms of importance, Steven will be the most important Zag because a s a Guard you have the Ball and he can create his own shot too.

But it is always hard to compare front court and back court guys, and both will rock ;)

BroncoZAG615
09-29-2010, 10:03 AM
If Elias is the consistent focal point of the offense, he'll be an All-American. There's no one on the team that approaches the skill set Elias has.

The only thing that can hold him back is the staff. If they get back in the habit of virtually putting Elias on an island so we can hold Rob's hand on the offensive end, the same inconsistent results to happen (i.e. losing to USF on the road) For the life of me, I've never seen a player work as hard for points than Elias did in the second half of that game. If we make life somewhat easy for Elias and put him in good situations, the possibilities are limitless.

So the answer to the question should (and hopefully is) no...and is verging on hell no.

cjm720
09-29-2010, 12:04 PM
Depends how you define "blow up" but I have a hunch that Mr. Gray is going make us remember his senior year for a long time.

Robzagnut
09-29-2010, 02:09 PM
Sam Dower.

With his sweet stroke, feathery inside touch, 6' 9" frame, mean hops and willingness to put it up from anywhere on the court, people are going to be screaming about how the staff could have red-shirted him last year and how much he could have helped the team last year and blah, blah, blah.

This is the player I've been waiting to watch since he signed his LOI. I fully expect him to be starting at PF by the end of the year allowing Elias to move over to SF. Manny and KO will be 1 and 2 off the bench.

It is going to be a fun year.

cggonzaga
09-29-2010, 02:17 PM
I fully expect him to be starting at PF by the end of the year allowing Elias to move over to SF. Manny and KO will be 1 and 2 off the bench.

No offense but if Sam starts by the end of the year (which I think he's more than capable of doing so) what happens to our depth at the 4 and 5? You have both EH and KO playing the 3 leaving only Rob and Sam at the 4 and 5. My guess is Rob, EH, Sam and KO will be playing the 4 and 5 all year with maybe EH playing a little 3. Granted our 4's play on the perimeter quite a bit anyway.

RockandRollJames
09-29-2010, 05:23 PM
I'm sorry, but no. C'mon guys.

NotoriousZ
09-29-2010, 06:02 PM
Oh it's possible. Perhaps Gray, Arop, or a couple other "longshots" could be Da Man. This year's team will be really, really good.

Reborn
09-30-2010, 01:44 PM
Well, the biggest surprise this summer was Kelly Olynyk. I hope he continues to surprise us this year. I am really excited to see what the change is in KO's game that allowed him so much playing time this summer on Canada's Elite men's team.

I remember when Kelly and Arop played on the 18 yr old Canadian team two summers ago. Manny was better than Kelly, and in my opinion, the best player on that team that took 2nd in the internation tournament. They lost to a loaded USA team by 2 pts I think. The rest of those players who started on that team will all be very good D1 players. So I won't be surprised at all if it's Manny.