• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

The Push for Pangos is on

You can bet the farm that Coach Few & Staff are now focused like a laser on Kevin Pangos. Kevin has been likened to Dan Dickau, and a person I trust mentioned Stockton. Needless to say, Gonzaga wants him bad. Kevin is fairly set on redshirting so in that regard he fits the 2011 class perfectly, with Gary Bell Jr. and Kyle Dranginis manning the guard spots under the tutelage of Carter and Meech for a year. We'll be in good hands in the backcourt for a long, long time.

There are some terrific backcourts shaping up in the west with Arizona getting Nick Johnson and Josiah Turner, and Norman Powell just committing to UCLA, to mention only two schools. Some outstanding talent out west. UW and ASU are two others who stand to be very good.

However, as the 2011 class of Zag guards mature and gain experience over the next few years, I, personally, would be comfortable putting them against anyone, anywhere. They are all high hoops IQ, under control, ideal fits for Few's system, great shooters, great passers, just solid all-around.

But that all hinges on getting Pangos to Gonzaga.

Also, not to get too far ahead or to derail this post, but I think it's obvious to say Few & Co. are going all-out now for 2012 prospects: Tebbutt, Spencer, et al.

But most of all, the Push for Pangos is in fullcourt press mode.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."
  • CanadianZagFan
    Professional Zag Fan
    • Jul 2008

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
    You can bet the farm that Coach Few & Staff are now focused like a laser on Kevin Pangos. Kevin has been likened to Dan Dickau, and a person I trust mentioned Stockton. Needless to say, Gonzaga wants him bad. Kevin is fairly set on redshirting so in that regard he fits the 2011 class perfectly, with Gary Bell Jr. and Kyle Dranginis manning the guard spots under the tutelage of Carter and Meech for a year. We'll be in good hands in the backcourt for a long, long time.

There are some terrific backcourts shaping up in the west with Arizona getting Nick Johnson and Josiah Turner, and Norman Powell just committing to UCLA, to mention only two schools. Some outstanding talent out west. UW and ASU are two others who stand to be very good.

However, as the 2011 class of Zag guards mature and gain experience over the next few years, I, personally, would be comfortable putting them against anyone, anywhere. They are all high hoops IQ, under control, ideal fits for Few's system, great shooters, great passers, just solid all-around.

But that all hinges on getting Pangos to Gonzaga.

Also, not to get too far ahead or to derail this post, but I think it's obvious to say Few & Co. are going all-out now for 2012 prospects: Tebbutt, Spencer, et al.

But most of all, the Push for Pangos is in fullcourt press mode.
    I have seen tis posted on the board before and wonder where it comes from, I must have missed when Kevin said this. I would think for a player that has been a starter on the National Cadet team, played at a very high level and performed well, that this seems odd to me. Just looking for a clarification.

Comment

• BobZag
      Dark Lord of the Zag
      • Jan 2007

Kevin and his father have expressed a desire to wait and develop an extra year before playing. They were considering prep school for a year but I think the college education combined with going head-to-head in practices with good D1 talent trumps a prep school. I think they realize this now.

Comment

• OZZY
        Zag for Life
        • Aug 2009

BZ is right, Kevin was looking for some time at classifying as a 2012 as he indicated that he wanted one more year before hitting D1. His classification as a 2011 now indicates to me that he sees benefit in Redshirting and having one year of aclimatising himself to College life and the team (great to practice against Meach and Carter). Make no bones about it, if Kevin comes to GU and redshirts he will be starting Pg as a freshman. His high basketball IQ and an addtional year of learning the GU system / growing into his body will make Kevin a formidable team general.

Comment

• Jedster
          Bleeds GU Blue
          • Oct 2009

Has Kevin laid out any timeline for when he'll make a decision? I know he's been to GU at least once, correct, but that was an unofficial visit? I hope he decides soon...on us!

Thanks for the info BZ!

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

All Aboard

Your reputation precedes you Mr. Pangos ZagNation is speaking...we want you on this train when it pulls out of the station in Fall of 2011..whether you choose to redshirt or not. Come along with us.....it'll be a great ride.
            Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• OZZY
              Zag for Life
              • Aug 2009

Technical point.............

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
              Your reputation precedes you Mr. Pangos ZagNation is speaking...we want you on this train when it pulls out of the station in Fall of 2011..whether you choose to redshirt or not. Come along with us.....it'll be a great ride.
              I don't mean to be picky or anything, but I wonder if we should be calling it Zagworld.... I mean besides the 10-15 Canadian based Zag posters, we have German posters (most likely some new French ones beside Christophe) and the lone Australian-based poster here.

Comment

• BobZag
                Dark Lord of the Zag
                • Jan 2007

The Pangos family are smart folks. Kevin will take his official visits to Gonzaga, Notre Dame and Virginia as soon as he receives his SAT score (he'll take it Oct. 9) and then he'll make his decision. My best guess, and that's all it is, is he'll decide late-November with an outside chance of next spring. I don't believe he'll be able to squeeze all three visits in before the NLI signing period in November. But who knows, if he takes a visit and falls in love with a school/program, he could commit and cancel remaining visits. But my guess is Kevin will decide late-Nov. following all of his visits. We must be patient.

Comment

• ZagNative
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Early signing date for letters of intent runs from Nov. 10 to Nov. 17, so if he doesn't decide by then, he'd have to wait until spring to sign, though he could verbal, of course. Kevin just doesn't seem like the kind of kid who would wait until spring to sign ...

Comment

• Jedster
                    Bleeds GU Blue
                    • Oct 2009

Thanks! Any word on dates for official visits? I hate the suspense of all this! Oct. 9th SAT scores are available for students, and sent to colleges, Oct. 28th. Any reason he's putting off official visits prior? Is it a condition to take an official visit?

Comment

• 810Suited
                      Kennel Club Material
                      • Apr 2008

If UW gets Wroten (near lock imo) and Jabari (leading?) they will be ridiculous. Of course if Jabari goes to ASU with Carson they will be out of control too. The west will have some great guards, and Gonzaga will be right there with the best of them. GBJ is going to be sooo good, can't wait.

Comment

• Nevtelen
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

I rarely fall in love with recruits. I've learned that lesson. We whiffed on Wiltjer and I shrugged and maybe felt a slight melancholy for what could have been. But Pangos... I'm really excited about Pangos. Man I want us to land Pangos.

Comment

• MDABE80
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

He came for an informal look see....as I recall. He must have like GU lots or we wouldn't be in his final 3. I do hope we can have him with us.

Comment

• CB4
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2009

Pangos should go to the South Bend when the Zags roll into town. I'd love for him to watch the Zags embarrass the Irish in their own house.

Comment

• titopoet
                              Zag for Life
                              • Apr 2008

Originally posted by OZZY View Post
                              I don't mean to be picky or anything, but I wonder if we should be calling it Zagworld.... I mean besides the 10-15 Canadian based Zag posters, we have German posters (most likely some new French ones beside Christophe) and the lone Australian-based poster here.
                              But why stop there? Zagsuniverse or better in keeping with the Jesuit tradition Zagscosmos or even Zagsaeon. Think of all the fans Gonzaga has in other Galaxies.

Zagscosmos - Where the grand ordering of being is the Flex.

The House of Being, Zagsaeon, is built on the metaphor of a well run offense. The Human Being has both structure to live and the creativity to produce through read and react.

This theological reflection was brought to you by the Jack Handy Deep Thoughts Administration.
                              ----
                              Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

Working...
                              X