PDA

View Full Version : Sarbaugh is a Zag?

23dpg
09-24-2010, 08:51 PM
Per the Spokesman Review. Is he a walk on?

http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/sep/24/sarbaugh-will-be-bulldog/

ZagNative
09-24-2010, 08:58 PM
That was my question too. Speculation here earlier was that he's eligible for tuition-free attendance as the son of the late (and beloved) Gonzaga professor Tim Sarbaugh and so would walk on.

Going to be fun to follow him at Prep this year!

Go Chris!

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/TJ11RW8MtnI/AAAAAAABIAs/Jc0acqBpghU/2010-09-24%20Chris%20Sarbaugh%20will%20be%20a%20bulldog.jp g

McIntyre anticipates Sarbaugh assuming more of the scoring burden this season with the departure of GSL MVP Ryan Nicholas, who is playing at Portland.

“Chris is probably one of the best on-ball defenders and overall defenders that I’ve seen,” McIntyre said. “Very athletic, jumps well. Offensively, he’s probably a pass-first guy, likes to get others involved, but I think he’s developing more into a scorer.”

video highlights of game v. LC last year (http://www.gonzaga74.com/Basketball%202009/Boys%20Home%20Page/Videos/LC%20Boys%20Highlights%201-19-10.wmv) with some nice Sarbaugh action.

Somebody's done a nice job on a website for the Bullpups (http://www.gonzaga74.com/Basketball%202009/Boys%20Home%20Page/Boys%20Home%20Page.htm), where that video was posted.

eastsideballer
09-24-2010, 10:09 PM
smh

cggonzaga
09-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Chris has a chance to be the best walk-on GU has ever had. He could've went to many different D1 schools. While his jumpshot needs improving, Chris excells in just about every other category and is a great athlete. It's possible GU would have offered regardless of his situation as he dominated at GU team camp over the summer. Good beginning to 2012.

ZagNative
09-24-2010, 11:20 PM
He's going to be a senior. Isn't he a 2011 kid?

Zag 77
09-24-2010, 11:36 PM
He is in my son's senior class at G-Prep. A very nice kid, good student and works very hard on the court. Has good basketball sense and the physical tools to contribute to the program. It is always good to get local kids staying home at GU.

GSL-KID
09-24-2010, 11:40 PM
Chris excells in just about every other category and is a great athlete.

I am happy for the kid and this is a dream come true i am sure. But, cggonzaga, you must get outside of spokane and view others before you make such a remark...

Bishop Sankey is a great athlete!

sittingon50
09-24-2010, 11:59 PM
You have to get out of Spokane to see Bishop Sankey?

cggonzaga
09-25-2010, 01:52 AM
I am happy for the kid and this is a dream come true i am sure. But, cggonzaga, you must get outside of spokane and view others before you make such a remark...

Bishop Sankey is a great athlete!

Bishop is a great athlete and so is Chris. I don't need to go anywhere to understand what a great athlete is. At 6'3", Sarbaugh is quick, fast, can jump and is strong. I'd absolutely put him in the same category as Sankey.

kitzbuel
09-25-2010, 04:39 AM
Congrats to Chris! Welcome aboard, it will defintely feel like home.

kjstoph1
09-25-2010, 08:54 AM
Bishop is a great athlete and so is Chris. I don't need to go anywhere to understand what a great athlete is. At 6'3", Sarbaugh is quick, fast, can jump and is strong. I'd absolutely put him in the same category as Sankey.

This is a steal for GU. The kid is a tremendous player.

guniverse
09-25-2010, 09:20 AM
hey that was my dad and his friend who created that video. cool! if you want to see more you can go to the website and you should be able to go in their archives on the left hand side of the page to find more videos with our new recruit in it.

webspinnre
09-25-2010, 09:23 AM
What a great benefit, to have a kid who might've been a scholarship athlete elsewhere being able to attend GU for free and walkon.

BobZag
09-25-2010, 09:47 AM
It would make a great story if young Mr. Sarbaugh blossomed into a difference-making player who excelled at GU, surprising everybody. He'll be an easy one to root for, that much is clear.

Good for him!

ZagNative
09-25-2010, 10:13 AM
hey that was my dad and his friend who created that video. cool! if you want to see more you can go to the website and you should be able to go in their archives on the left hand side of the page to find more videos with our new recruit in it.Very nice! Yes, I was checking out some of the videos. Fun stuff. Tell him thanks!

SunDevilGolfZag
09-26-2010, 08:04 AM
I saw Sarbaugh play twice last year and was impressed by his athleticism and overall court presence. I came away thinking he might be the best long-term prospect on the G-Prep team of 09-10. Glad he's a Zag!

LongIslandZagFan
09-27-2010, 08:13 AM
If he is just half the man his father was, and I am sure he is way more than half, then the Zags got a great kid... who just happens to play basketball very well.

RIP Tim... RIP.

Zag 77
09-27-2010, 01:04 PM
http://www.spokesman.com/blogs/sportslink/2010/sep/27/more-spangler/#comments

Jim Meehan of SR confirms that Sarbaugh gets a tuition waiver based on his late father's service at GU.

CDC84
09-27-2010, 07:30 PM
Another ex-walk on who could've played at a number of D-1 schools was Jordan Mast. Unfortunately, he had to put an early end to his basketball career. Few used to put him in at the end of halves and such in some really meaningful games. I still feel he could've developed into a nice rotation player.

75Zag
09-27-2010, 07:49 PM
Never heard of this young man or his father, but if the kid can drag the rest of the GU squad upward toward a National Championship, more power to him.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

ZagFanInNC
09-28-2010, 10:25 AM
ESPN has updated Spangler but also added Chris Sarbaugh to our list (http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/2250/class/2011)...I assume this is a walk on spot??

a13coach
09-28-2010, 10:27 AM
http://www.guboards.com/showthread.php?t=30151

pbriz
10-08-2010, 06:19 AM
Here is a pretty nice set of highlights on Sarbaugh.

http://www.ncsasports.org/college-recruiting-videos-highlights/chris-sarbaugh

Zagdawg
10-08-2010, 06:48 AM
Reminds me of Bouldin with the hair-- (gotta work on the 3 pt shooting tho) :)

Baldwinzag
10-08-2010, 07:08 AM
Here is a pretty nice set of highlights on Sarbaugh.

http://www.ncsasports.org/college-recruiting-videos-highlights/chris-sarbaugh

Nice find, pbriz. :)

This kid has tremendous instincts on the court. Due to his length, awareness, and solid fundamentals, he is ball burglar on defense. He also possesses a keen eye on offense and finding his man off cuts, screens, and in transition. You'll quickly notice he leads most of his teammates with his passing ability instead of waiting for them to be open. He's clearly one-step on both sides of the court. He has excellent tools and can develop into a solid role player someday, in the mold of a Mike Nilson, Erroll Knight, Alex Hernandez, even Pendo, etc.

Having said all that, he is not scoring more points per game because his shooting appears a major question mark, possibly non-existent. I couldn't help but notice Sarbaugh attempted only TWO jumpshots in his entire highlight vid and those attempts were from around 10-12 feet at most(also very hesitant in pulling up). The reason he's only averaging 9 ppg is due to the fact he appears to score nearly all his points off steals and athletic moves to the hoop.

However, Sarbaugh isn't a shooter like many assumed, yet an excellent teammate and a solid contributor on both sides of the court. I will presume Chris is considered GU preps 'MVP' given his hustle, defensive instincts, play-making ability, rebounding, and creating for others. Also, he has above average rebounding skills for a guard his size.

I like his skills and can certainly see why we offered him a walk-on spot. The kid is deceptively athletic and is a hard-nosed player with great tools. If Sarbaugh developed a shot, he could become a serious player and potentially the "steal" of this year's class.

Lastly, after watching the video it becomes very easy to discern why his Coach had this to say:

“Chris is probably one of the best on-ball defenders and overall defenders that I’ve ever seen,”

Kiddwell
10-08-2010, 08:23 AM
Nice find, pbriz. :)

This kid has tremendous instincts on the court. Due to his length, awareness, and solid fundamentals, he is ball burglar on defense. He also possesses a keen eye on offense and finding his man off cuts, screens, and in transition. You'll quickly notice he leads most of his teammates with his passing ability instead of waiting for them to be open. He's clearly one-step on both sides of the court. He has excellent tools and can develop into a solid role player someday, in the mold of a Mike Nilson, Erroll Knight, Alex Hernandez, even Pendo, etc.

Having said all that, he is not scoring more points per game because his shooting appears a major question mark, possibly non-existent. I couldn't help but notice Sarbaugh attempted only TWO jumpshots in his entire highlight vid and those attempts were from around 10-12 feet at most(also very hesitant in pulling up). The reason he's only averaging 9 ppg is due to the fact he appears to score nearly all his points off steals and athletic moves to the hoop. This is definitely not a bad characteristic, imo.

However, Sarbaugh isn't a shooter like many assumed, yet an excellent teammate and a solid contributor on both sides of the court. I will presume Chris is considered GU preps 'MVP' given his hustle, defensive instincts, play-making ability, rebounding, and creating for others. I also like his rebounding skills for a guard.

I really like his skills and can certainly see why we offered him a walk-on spot. The kid is deceptively athletic and is a hard-nosed player with great tools. If Sarbaugh developed a shot, he could become a serious player and potentially the "steal" of this year's class.

Lastly, after watching the video it becomes very easy to discern why his Coach said this about Sarbaugh:

Nice analysis, Baldwin. Thanks.

:]

Reborn
10-08-2010, 08:31 AM
If you don't think shooting is important, ask Meech.

Baldwinzag
10-08-2010, 08:38 AM
If you don't think shooting is important, ask Meech.

Bad Reborn, bad. You know better.

Also, no one said shooting was not important, yet just as valuable as defense, hustle, heart, court awareness, rebounding, defense, passing, athleticism, bball IQ, etc etc...

hooter73
10-08-2010, 09:32 AM
hey just for his passing/assists in traffic I would be happy to see him on a team.

Its always hard to tell much from a highlight vid and i cant seem but to always wonder about the level of opponents but yet again, if the staff sees something they like...

DixieZag
10-08-2010, 10:30 AM
As someone who has not followed things closely lately, I just put the name together with his family. His father was my history advisor and I can safely say that a sweeter man has never existed. I am not the least bit surprised that his son is a great kid and a hard worker, I also would bet that even if he were recruited by NC, KU or Stanford, he would be a Zag.

I hope he develops and really contributes to this team.

CB4
10-08-2010, 11:36 AM
Sounds like a less talented version of Grant Gibbs. At least he isn't taking a scholarship.