PDA

View Full Version : Could Keegan Hyland be our next John Rillie??

Idahomie
09-19-2010, 04:07 PM
Dang, whatever happened to John Rillie?!? That dude could shoot the lights out from anywhere on the floor!! I remember each time I would watch him play at the original kennel next door in the Martin Centre, part of me would be rooting for the Zags to win, and the other part was rooting for John Rillie to start canning enough three's for us to get free Wendy's burger coupons.

I know Keegan is a lights out three point shooter, but could he become John Rillie version 2.0? .....because that would be awesome. We could really use a shooter like that again, someone to bust up zone D's like it ain't no thing.

MDABE80
09-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Hoping Idahomie....hoping...but I DO love your subscript on Pangos...

RenoZag
09-19-2010, 04:34 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WTMasP6vRw

We'll see how he does when someone gets a hand in his face. Looking forward to hearing more about him & the other noobs as the season gets closer !

OZZY
09-19-2010, 06:56 PM
John played Pro ball here in Australia for many years, but I thought I read on this board that he is now on Boise State's coaching staff.......

MickMick
09-19-2010, 09:39 PM
If he can create his own shot, I'm hoping for Morrison II.

We can all dream can't we?

Naph
09-19-2010, 10:06 PM
Dang, whatever happened to John Rillie?!?

Rillie's NBL stat's/career (http://www.australiabasket.com/player.asp?Cntry=AUS&PlayerID=11573)

You can look back over his entire NBL career from that link. Just last year he hit 10 of 17 threes to get his team over the line in an elimination final.

An aussie article on his move to Boise State can be found here (http://www.townsvillebulletin.com.au/article/2010/07/16/155051_sport.html)

ZaginLaw
09-20-2010, 07:43 AM
After a long pro career "overseas", John Rillie is now the Director of Basketball Operations at Boise State University.

cjm720
09-20-2010, 08:15 AM
After a long pro career "overseas", John Rillie is now the Director of Basketball Operations at Boise State University.

Wow, very cool! Thx for posting.

titopoet
09-20-2010, 08:24 AM
Here is Rillie taking the Nash challenge and he ties Nash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKEm6clsNow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKEm6clsNow)

Idahomie
09-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Here is Rillie taking the Nash challenge and he ties Nash.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKEm6clsNow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKEm6clsNow)

Imagine that, FREETHROWS!!! What a novel idea!! There's something I miss, a team that can shoot freethrows. Here's to hoping this year's squad will have improved in that area. And here's to Keegan Hyland being the next John Rillie.

UberZagFan
09-20-2010, 11:08 AM
We'll see how he does when someone gets a hand in his face.

Looks like every time someone got a hand in his face, he drove right by them! His hands are pretty low on release which may affect his ability to get that shot off at the next level but hey, Raivio found a way.

p.s. every notice how in these summer camp videos the player that is spotlighted never misses a shot?

ESB
09-20-2010, 01:03 PM
Hyland can play....I know he's a freshman but the kid can play....he can put the ball it in the basket...plus he's smart and tough and a relentless worker...

GUDan07
09-20-2010, 01:11 PM
His hands are pretty low on release which may affect his ability to get that shot off at the next...

I was thinking that the whole time I was watching this video. The competition didn't look to be that tall or long in this clip. However, his release was fairly quick so hopefully its not an issue.

Kiddwell
09-21-2010, 12:48 PM
Three things:

First, has anyone a report on how Keegan's doing in pick-up games with his teammates?

Second, is this the First Time in GS History that the Zags have had a player from Portland, Oregon (Hart) and a player from Portland, Maine (Keegan) on the squad at the same time?

Third, is this the First Time in GS History that the Zags have had more international players on scholarship (6) than nationals (5)?

:]

<Texas, Minnesota, Maine, California, Washington, Germany, Germany, France, Canada, Canada, and Canada.>

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-21-2010, 03:13 PM
I was thinking that the whole time I was watching this video. The competition didn't look to be that tall or long in this clip. However, his release was fairly quick so hopefully its not an issue.

I really didn't see a lot of John Rillie in those Hyland highlights. Nothing about his game looked like Rillie. John Rillie had a high release and could hit fadeaways with a hand in his face from way behind the three-point line. This kid's shot is flatter, although he does have a quick trigger.

This kid has some fluid moves around the rim and a quick release from mid-long distance. Hopefully, those skills will develop over time and he will become a solid, versatile scorer at the next level.

kitzbuel
09-21-2010, 03:19 PM
He has a little bit of a Dellvedova type look to his 3-pt release.

dim4sum
09-21-2010, 07:22 PM
With his glazed, crazed stare and his mouthpiece ajar, Dellavedova wins hands down in the intimidation category. We'll see what happens talent-wise. There's still a lot rust to shake off.

Kiddwell
09-21-2010, 07:49 PM
With his glazed, crazed stare and his mouthpiece ajar, Dellavedova wins hands down in the intimidation category.

Intimidation? Or dork factor?

Idahomie
09-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Intimidation? Or dork factor?

Hahaha. I'm gonna go with dork factor. Gosh I really hope Hyland is nothing like Dellavadova. That guy is a huge dork. He is like a little basketball playing hobbit. And really, I've never been very impressed with him at all. He never seems to hit his three's when I watch him, he's always a step slow, and his handles are not that good for a point or SG. Let's pray he is nothing like Dellavadova.

BobZag
09-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Dang, whatever happened to John Rillie?!? That dude could shoot the lights out from anywhere on the floor!! I remember each time I would watch him play at the original kennel next door in the Martin Centre, part of me would be rooting for the Zags to win, and the other part was rooting for John Rillie to start canning enough three's for us to get free Wendy's burger coupons.

I know Keegan is a lights out three point shooter, but could he become John Rillie version 2.0? .....because that would be awesome. We could really use a shooter like that again, someone to bust up zone D's like it ain't no thing.

I sure hope he's Rillie 2.0

ESB
09-22-2010, 02:29 PM
Hold the comparisons...he's goin' be Hyland 1.0...

BobZag
09-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Hold the comparisons...he's goin' be Hyland 1.0...

Good point!

primal23
09-22-2010, 04:30 PM
I just hope he can be an off the bench 3pt threat, a Kyle Bankhead type wouldnt be bad at all. (Course he ended up having a pretty good all around game too)

OZZY
09-22-2010, 10:43 PM
I said before he was a freshman that Della was going to give the Zags headaches someday, and I still believe it. He has as much international experience as Kelly and still has three years to develop.

I hope that Hyland makes his own mark in his own way, he has plenty of time to do this.

RenoZag
09-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Della has a chance to be one of the best players SMC has ever had.

Martin Centre Mad Man
09-23-2010, 04:56 AM
PS:Yeah he is a little dorky with the mouth guard, shaggy hair and all but from what I heard he's going to be wearing a smaller mouthpiece this year and jersey which actually fits him. He also has taken the whole summer off this year from playing competitive ball so should be rested and ready to go.

Gonzaga teams have had their share of players with eccentric appearances over the years. There was a time when Gonzaga was known as much for the shagginess of the players as for their actual talent. Dellywould fit right in on those teams.

JohnOGU
09-24-2010, 04:43 PM
Hahaha. I'm gonna go with dork factor. Gosh I really hope Hyland is nothing like Dellavadova. That guy is a huge dork. He is like a little basketball playing hobbit. And really, I've never been very impressed with him at all. He never seems to hit his three's when I watch him, he's always a step slow, and his handles are not that good for a point or SG. Let's pray he is nothing like Dellavadova.

Could not agree more. He's decent...That's about all I will give him.

Idahomie
09-28-2010, 10:52 AM
Idahomie I dont know what you've been sniffing but Dellevedova isnt small :p

He's a 6'4 PG who shoots 40% behind the arc.. and if you watched his numbers dropped off abit at the end of the season which is where you might have gotten the impression he couldnt shoot. The fact is the kid had played nearly 2 years of basketball without a break, from the AIS(and SEABL semi pro competition they play which is against adults/former college players) to the FIBA tournaments then to playing for the Boomers, he literally only arrived on campus a few weeks before the first game of the season) and was obviously worn out at the end of the season.

Since many consider Delly one of the top guards in the conference this season you should be hoping Hyland is just as good.

PS:Yeah he is a little dorky with the mouth guard, shaggy hair and all but from what I heard he's going to be wearing a smaller mouthpiece this year and jersey which actually fits him. He also has taken the whole summer off this year from playing competitive ball so should be rested and ready to go.

Well first I didn't say he was small. I said he was a little hobbit, mostly for his appearance, not that he is small stature or that he has giant hairy feet. And I will stand by that. He is a dorky little hobbit :p . Secondly I know that his numbers are supposed to be good for his 3pt percentage, but every time I watch him play he never ever seems to be clutch. I'm always more worried about McConnell. And I will stand by the fact that I think he is a step slow, his handles aren't that great for SG/PG, and he seems to make a lot of bad decisions passing the ball.

Anyway back to the original topic of this thread: Keegan Hyland. I'm excited to have a shooter again!

Idahomie
09-28-2010, 11:05 AM
Well first I didn't say he was small. I said he was a little hobbit, mostly for his appearance, not that he is small stature or that he has giant hairy feet. And I will stand by that. He is a dorky little hobbit :p . Secondly I know that his numbers are supposed to be good for his 3pt percentage, but every time I watch him play he never ever seems to be clutch. I'm always more worried about McConnell. And I will stand by the fact that I think he is a step slow, his handles aren't that great for SG/PG, and he seems to make a lot of bad decisions passing the ball.

Anyway back to the original topic of this thread: Keegan Hyland. I'm excited to have a shooter again!

Oh and secondly I don't sniff anything, whether it be narcotics, white out or smarties. I was a member of IDFY (Idaho Drug Free Youth) and I still have my D.A.R.E card with me at all times to help remind me of ways to say no. My personal favorites are: Broken Record- No no no no no no no no no NO no NO no!! And Offer an Alternative Activity - Example: If someone says hey man let's do drugs. You say "Ummm....how about we go make a potato gun, or lets play a game of HORSE"

Furthermore if I was sniffing something I suspect Dellavadova wouldn't look like a friendly little Hobbit, he would probably look like something scarier, probably a gremlin or a troll.

former1dog
09-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Secondly I know that his numbers are supposed to be good for his 3pt percentage, but every time I watch him play he never ever seems to be clutch. I'm always more worried about McConnell. And I will stand by the fact that I think he is a step slow, his handles aren't that great for SG/PG, and he seems to make a lot of bad decisions passing the ball.

I'm guessing you're just trying to be funny with the hobbit stuff and all, but at the end of the day posts like yours bug me because they suggest that an extremely good basketball player is not so good.

Nothing could be farther from the truth.

Let's compare this true freshman's numbers with our very best player's numbers from last year, who happened to be a senior.

3pt FG&#37; .398 for Delladova
3pt FG% .365 for Bouldin

Delladova had 30 more attempts during the season.

Handles?

Delladova 67 turnovers vs. 75 for Bouldin. Delladova played 60 more minutes during the season than did Bouldin.

Making shots in the clutch? Delladova was a true freshman with an upperclassmen teammate with the best 3 pt FG% in the country (McConnell at .510). I don't think Delladova was the one taking clutch shots so I take your criticism of Delladova as misinformed at best.

You're entitled to your own opinion, but yours doesn't seem based much on the facts.

Peace.

ZagNative
09-28-2010, 01:15 PM
Wow. Nice post, Former1dog. Research and reasoning. What a concept.

former1dog
09-28-2010, 01:27 PM
Wow. Nice post, Former1dog. Research and reasoning. What a concept.

Thanks ZN.

A couple additional thoughts in favor of a stellar season by Delladova. He had only 67 turnovers during the season despite being the primary ballhandler on his team. His assist to turnover ratio was 2.28. The best A/TO ratio for Gonzaga players last year was 1.76, which also happened to be Bouldin. Our other primary ballhandlers, Goodson and Gray had ratio's of 1.13 and 1.29.

Still think Delladova has poor handles?

I also should have mentioned Samhan in the discussion of taking clutch shots. There aren't a lot of opportunities for a true freshman to be taking clutch shots when you have teammates like McConnell and Samhan.

webspinnre
09-28-2010, 01:37 PM
I love SMC's guards this year (and last year, and the year before that). The only concern is going to be their inside game. LMU's going to be pushing hard to pass them up.

kitzbuel
09-28-2010, 01:59 PM
I am interested to see SMC, I think they will be very different from the past couple of years with Samhan and Simpson. I see them using some open post sets that take advantage of their shooting and minmize the inside game.

ridgebackzag
09-28-2010, 02:10 PM
What about Mr. Hyland everyone, talk about derailment. heh

Virginia Zags Fan
09-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Good possibility on the open set. It will be hard to replace the inside outside game of Omar Samhan. Antics aside, Omar did a good job of passing out of the double to an open shooter. I think this is one of the reasons McConnell and Deladova had such great 3 pt percentages. Most teams focused on Samham leaving those guys wide open. Big mistake. Those guys shoot open 3s like free throws.

I am really hoping we can have that inside out play this year. Hopefully Rob has improved his pass out to the open shooter. Also hoping our shooters have improved. I know Kelly has improved and I am very excited to see young Sammy D. taking it to the hoop. A great front court this year. Will the back court deliver?

One thing is for sure. I would be happy to take our chances on the post with SMC this year and guard the heck out of Deladova and McConnell. You just can't let those two guards get into a rhythm or they will kill you.

Virginia Zags Fan
09-28-2010, 02:28 PM
I will be thrilled if Keegan makes the adjustment to D1 ball and can shoot lights out. If he can play good D and reliably make the three, he could have a tremendous couple of years with our young, improving post players.

U Zig, I Zag
09-28-2010, 02:33 PM
Thanks ZN.

A couple additional thoughts in favor of a stellar season by Delladova. He had only 67 turnovers during the season despite being the primary ballhandler on his team. His assist to turnover ratio was 2.28. The best A/TO ratio for Gonzaga players last year was 1.76, which also happened to be Bouldin. Our other primary ballhandlers, Goodson and Gray had ratio's of 1.13 and 1.29.

Still think Delladova has poor handles?

I also should have mentioned Samhan in the discussion of taking clutch shots. There aren't a lot of opportunities for a true freshman to be taking clutch shots when you have teammates like McConnell and Samhan.

I thought Delladova looked awkward at times and he did make some bad plays. The numbers are the numbers though. I would say that GU played a different level of opponent than SMC did over the course of the season, minus WCC play. We traveled more, played in more big games and the pressure was immense on the upperclassman, like Matt - who missed, what 1.5 games with a concussion? Didn't play at the end of a lot of the games? So more turnovers, sure but he played against different pressure.

Hard to compare Matt and Delladova I think...

I do think Delladova will have a good year and a haircut, better dental care (mouth guard in this case) and some better fitting clothes never hurt a man one bit. ;)

Still think SMC struggles against GU. Worse that last year - Delly isn't going to drop 20 and 10 and I am not sure where that is going to come from. LMU seems like more of a threat to...

former1dog
09-28-2010, 02:42 PM
UZig,

Just to clarify, the only reason I brought up Matt was as a point of comparison. Honestly, its normally not fair to compare a true freshman, just learning a new system, etc (not to mention a new country for Delly) and an acclaimed senior stand out like Bouldin.

The ultimate point, though, is not to say Delladova was as good a player as Bouldin last year (he wasn't), but to point out the obvious, which Delladova is a very, very, very good player and will be borderline great. It bothered me that Idahomie was trying to disparage a player who anyone could see was a very good player.

maynard g krebs
09-28-2010, 07:38 PM
UZig,

It bothered me that Idahomie was trying to disparage a player who anyone could see was a very good player.

+1. And ridiculing someone for their appearance doesn't do anything useful, or sound particularly clever.

I love St. Mary's guards, who could, with the addition of Holt, be the best in the WCC next year.