PDA

View Full Version : Scout article on Kevin Pangos

BobZag
09-15-2010, 09:31 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1002639.html

ďHeís got the highest IQ of running a team and understanding basketball,Ē a coach said. ďThe other thing he can do, he can really shoot the ball. Every time it comes out of his hands you think itís going in."

The article states he has taken his standardized test and can take official visits now, but I know he must take the SAT, and that won't happen until October 9. Zags, Irish, Wahoos and possibly Owls are in the mix. I sense Zags have the lead.

SLOZag
09-15-2010, 10:18 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1002639.html
Zags, Irish, Wahoos and possibly Owls are in the mix. I sense Zags have the lead.

BZ:

For those of use who don't subscribe to Scout, could you confirm that the article reports Kevin is holding offers from Notre Dame, Michigan, Boston College, Portland, UNLV, Cincinnati and Temple? Thanks.

cjm720
09-15-2010, 11:24 AM
BZ:

For those of use who don't subscribe to Scout, could you confirm that the article reports Kevin is holding offers from Notre Dame, Michigan, Boston College, Portland, UNLV, Cincinnati and Temple? Thanks.

No Zags?

ZagNative
09-15-2010, 11:54 AM
From the story:
Pangos recently took the standardized test so he’s eligible to take official visits. Unofficially he’s been to Gonzaga and was offered scholarships by Michigan, Boston College, Portland, UNLV, Cincinnati and Temple. The Wolverines took themselves out of the mix when the landed Trey Burke. BC, Cincinnati, Portland and UNLV are no longer under consideration.

Gonzaga, according to dad, is still under very serious consideration. The Zags, Virginia and Notre Dame either have or will be in tow see him this fall. Pangos said Virginia, Temple and possibly Notre Dame could receive official visits. Though the article doesn't sound like it, the Zags are shown on his Scout profile page (http://gonzaga.scout.com/a.z?s=130&p=8&c=1&nid=5192173) as having offered.

Baldwinzag
09-15-2010, 12:28 PM
Pangos recently took the standardized test so he’s eligible to take official visits. Unofficially he’s been to Gonzaga and was offered scholarships by Michigan, Boston College, Portland, UNLV, Cincinnati and Temple. The Wolverines took themselves out of the mix when the landed Trey Burke. BC, Cincinnati, Portland and UNLV are no longer under consideration.

Gonzaga, according to dad, is still under very serious consideration. The Zags, Virginia and Notre Dame either have or will be in tow see him this fall. Pangos said. Virginia, Temple and possibly Notre Dame could receive official visits.

Odd paragraphs re: Kevin's recruitment, imo.

First, it says the schools have offered, then Michigan is out of consideration due to recruiting another PG(OK?), now the other schools mentioned are out of the mix as well, and all of sudden Gonzaga is still being considered, while he's only taking official visits to Virginia, Temple, & mentioning Notre Dame all of sudden.

Did this particular Scout article read kinda funny to anyone else?

:confused:

LynetteG
09-15-2010, 01:23 PM
I wouldn't take the fact of his unofficial visit here as anything less than an official one. The difference between the two visits is just timing and who pays for the trip. If anything I would view an unofficial as a better thing since the Pangos' had to pay for it. If I were a D1 athlete I'd take my 5 officials, they're free!

CaliforniaZaggin'
09-15-2010, 01:29 PM
In my mind, an unofficial visit is more indicative of a recruit's interests than official visits. Like Lynette mentions, official visits are free; unofficial visits aren not.

Notre Dame & Virginia scare me a lot more than Michigan and Cincinnati.

Nevtelen
09-15-2010, 01:50 PM
You have to think Pangos sees a glut of very good guards here and that has to at least make him stop and think. But if we land him, I think GU has pretty certainly shown that 2 PGs can certainly exist and even flourish on the same court at GU. Especially since the shots of all involved - GBJ, Pangos, and Drainginis - are reportedly very very good.

MDABE80
09-15-2010, 04:51 PM
I'd nearly croak if I'd see Bell and Pangos with us at the same time. Likely be the best guard duo anywhere! AND both true "ZAGS".< too bad if anyone thinks we've outgrown this.

VaBeachZAG
09-15-2010, 05:17 PM
I am very concerned to see that Virginia has appeared on Pango's list. Phenominal school, fantastic basketball facilities, great conference in the ACC, and a terrific virbrant young head coach. Few really needs to bring his A+ game to secure a Pangos commit to GU.

MDABE80
09-15-2010, 05:28 PM
Bennett is very charming and persuasive.PLUS he's solid! UVA is a spectacular school with wonderful academics and architecture. Quiet too with good prorams for athletes. We might be in trouble on this one. Kevin's in Eastern Canada just north of NY. I think we'll be in the top two but I agree with VaBeachZag....this'll be a squeaker! Tony only goes for the good ones.

Baldwinzag
09-15-2010, 05:47 PM
Bennett is very charming and persuasive.PLUS he's solid! UVA is a spectacular school with wonderful academics and architecture. Quiet too with good prorams for athletes. We might be in trouble on this one. Kevin's in Eastern Canada just north of NY. I think we'll be in the top two but I agree with VaBeachZag....this'll be a squeaker! Tony only goes for the good ones.

Add in the fact that UVA is easily one of the most beautiful campuses I've ever visited. A school that instantly impresses. . .

Virginia will be tough to pass on, imho...great coach, reputable academics, Top-5 scenic campus, prestigious conference, solid tradition, and University culture is committed to basketball.

A major blow, but we're still very much in the fight.

DenDiegoZag
09-15-2010, 06:18 PM
Add in the fact that UVA is easily one of the most beautiful campuses I've ever visited. A school that instantly impresses. . .

Virginia will be tough to pass on, imho...great coach, reputable academics, Top-5 scenic campus, prestigious conference, solid tradition, and University culture is committed to basketball.

Baldwin has been to UVA?

News to me...hmmm...

DDZ

Baldwinzag
09-15-2010, 07:04 PM
Baldwin has been to UVA?

News to me...hmmm...

DDZ

Sounds a little crazy, eh?

Actually, my college recruiting days directed me to schools all the way from UT-Austin to NYU and everywhere in between. Heck, they[Allianz] even sent me to Georgia State(:mad:) one weekend and to Universities throughout Germany as well, which was headquarters.

I should have really called more during that time;).

Anyway, on that particular trip, we visited Virginia, American U, Georgetown, & George Washington. Of the aforementioned, UVA was hands downs the most impressive campus and that is saying something.

FWIW, Virginia has an excellent Actuarial Science program--which was my primary focus & business ops.

OT--To this day, the most underrated campus I visited was U of Illinois, the most active & fun was U of Wisconsin, the most like GU was Creighton or Northwestern, the most unique was Western Kentucky U, most beautiful campus was U of Virginia, most beautiful student body was UT-Austin. Least favorite college experience overall was NYU, most favorite overall was Vanderbilt U.

I miss those days!

thespywhozaggedme
09-15-2010, 07:17 PM

Actually, my college recruiting days directed me to schools all the way from UT-Austin to NYU and everywhere in between. Heck, they[Allianz] even sent me to Georgia State(:mad:) one weekend and to Universities throughout Germany as well.

Anyway, on that particular trip, we visited Virginia, American U, Georgetown, & George Washington. Of the aforementioned, UVA was hands downs the most impressive campus and that is saying something.

FWIW, Virginia has an excellent Actuarial Science program--which was my primary focus of & including business ops.

OT--To this day, the most underrated campus I visited was U of Illinois, the most active & fun was U of Wisconsin, the most like GU was Creighton or Northwestern, the most unique was Western Kentucky U, most beautiful campus was U of Virginia, most beautiful student body was UT-Austin. Least favorite college experience overall was NYU, most favorite overall was Vanderbilt U.

I miss those days!

I use to date a girl that was an actuary for Allianz. Know any hot Armenian girls from LA? lol

DenDiegoZag
09-15-2010, 07:30 PM

Actually, my college recruiting days directed me to schools all the way from UT-Austin to NYU and everywhere in between. Heck, they[Allianz] even sent me to Georgia State(:mad:) one weekend and to Universities throughout Germany as well, which was headquarters.

FWIW, Virginia has an excellent Actuarial Science program--which was my primary focus of & including business ops.

I miss those days!

More beautiful than some of the ladies on the campus of USC?

I have never been to Tcip-U, but I have been to USC a time or two...hmmm...

My two cousins who have attended Clemson say that the Orange and Purple is the most beautiful campus in the ACC...I have nothing to back that up though...

DDZ

Baldwinzag
09-15-2010, 07:34 PM
I use to date a girl that was an actuary for Allianz. Know any hot Armenian girls from LA? lol

Unfortunately, no; but I wish I did! ;) :)

Its a rare occurence to find a really attractive actuary, so to add she's a 'hot armenian' is quite the combination. How'd you let that one go? :p

While it was more than difficult to find qualified candidates, it was the easiest position to recruit for once we did, especially considering our Actuarial interns made $25-30 /hr for an entire Summer--while they were still in College!

Talk about a dream job if you have the mathmatical aptitude & spreadsheet skills...

By far the easiest six-figure career on the planet. No joke.

Baldwinzag
09-15-2010, 07:42 PM
More beautiful than some of the ladies on the campus of USC?

I have never been to Tcip-U, but I have been to USC a time or two...hmmm...

My two cousins who have attended Clemson say that the Orange and Purple is the most beautiful campus in the ACC...I have nothing to back that up though...

DDZ

Good point. While I do follow select USC sports, I've never really experienced their campus. For some reason, and to my dismay, we never recruited on the West Coast.

After my single visit to a SEC school(Vandy) and from what I generally see on camera during televised sporting events, I'd venture to guess most Southern-based schools have something similar in common--college coeds that are easy on the eyes.

I am confident Clemson doesn't dissappoint, from both a campus and/or student body perspective. :)

kylasdad
09-15-2010, 08:08 PM
Agree Bennet is a class act and UV is probably beautiful and nice facilities, but it also depends on what type of offensive/defensive system a player likes.

Bennetball= watching paint dry

Few Ball= more exciting/fun to play

I have no idea what type of player Pangos is or what system he would excel in, but hopefully he is in Spokane when all is said and done.

MDABE80
09-15-2010, 08:29 PM
The 2011 edition of U.S. News & World Report ranks the University of Virginia as the 2nd best public university (tied with UCLA) in the United States, and the overall 25th best university in the nation.[6]

Founded in 1819 by Thomas Jefferson who also did the planning a architectural work. Lots of history on those 1660 acres. Nothing but the best back there.

It'll be a squaker for us. Kevin will make his best choice for basketball. I think, despite getting our a** handed to us by UVA a few years ago, GU's a far more accomplished program. Core work is about the same there as at GU...Grad school is what matters....Kevin's a very bright kid. We can do what he needs...culture (which makes me wince) as a draw for 17 year old always befuddles me. How much can a kid fit much else in when he's fulltime basketball.

Oh Well, after the Wiltjer mess, I cannot convince myself to worry about it. We love him and he likes us. If he comes, he'll love us more. If he doesn't, pffffffffttttttttt....we'll get by. Unless his Dad calls me for a treadmill and we discuss Kevin coming to GU..I believe nuthing!!! ;)

WeSayZed
09-15-2010, 09:28 PM

Spokane has the mountains, however, and those eastern kids are mesmerized by the mountains. I think the Canadian connection will be a big plus for the Zags. I think the way the other Canadians have been treated there will give him and his family a lot of confidence and put them at ease. And if Few says that there will be minutes for him then I think he can trust his word. If he wants to redshirt a year the guard situation will thin out a bit as well. I think the one downside is that itís a long way away from his home, but overall I think the Zags have a very good chance at him. If he was a downtown Toronto kid I think it would be a different story. Thereís a different culture there and they tend to think theyíre superior to people in the west, who they know next to nothing about, and they tend to idolize big urban American centres on the east coast like NYC. Pangos is from a smaller centre north of Toronto and he will have a very different mentality. A kid like Pangos might like to go fishing with Few.

Just A Zag
09-15-2010, 09:32 PM
Kw 2.0

WeSayZed
09-15-2010, 09:35 PM
The 2011 edition of U.S. News & World Report ranks the University of Virginia as the 2nd best public university (tied with UCLA) in the United States, and the overall 25th best university in the nation.[6]

Founded in 1819 by Thomas Jefferson who also did the planning a architectural work. Lots of history on those 1660 acres. Nothing but the best back there.

It'll be a squaker for us. Kevin will make his best choice for basketball. I think, despite getting our a** handed to us by UVA a few years ago, GU's a far more accomplished program. Core work is about the same there as at GU...Grad school is what matters....Kevin's a very bright kid. We can do what he needs...culture (which makes me wince) as a draw for 17 year old always befuddles me. How much can a kid fit much else in when he's fulltime basketball.

Oh Well, after the Wiltjer mess, I cannot convince myself to worry about it. We love him and he likes us. If he comes, he'll love us more. If he doesn't, pffffffffttttttttt....we'll get by. Unless his Dad calls me for a treadmill and we discuss Kevin coming to GU..I believe nuthing!!! ;)
Off topic, but UBC ranks 40th on that list, and the University of Alberta is at 59. Thatís the school the Zags played early in the season last year. Itís in Edmonton, Mannyís home town. The University of Calgary in my home town comes in at 149. Yay!
http://www.usnews.com/articles/education/worlds-best-universities/2010/02/25/worlds-best-universities-top-400.html?PageNr=3

I guess I'm looking at the international list, and the University of Virginia comes in at 129 on that list, ahead of the UofC! :( ;)

JohnOGU
09-15-2010, 11:11 PM
When all is said and done, The Zags will more than likely be more successful than any of those other programs mentioned at the end of this upcoming season.

Baldwinzag
09-16-2010, 01:55 AM
In my mind, an unofficial visit is more indicative of a recruit's interests than official visits. Like Lynette mentions, official visits are free; unofficial visits aren not.

Notre Dame & Virginia scare me a lot more than Michigan and Cincinnati.

Agreed on all points.

I am a bit nervous if Kevin's latest unofficial is his final visit to Gonzaga. KP was at GU in the beginning of August, when school is not in session, no one is around Campus, and only a few members of the team were actually around.

It sounds like he's visiting Virginia in the middle of basketball season and when students will be around. Fans will be in the seats and not just playing pick-up in an empty arena like he did here.

As we're all aware, it makes a big difference when students are around and things are full swing at GU.

I'd be curious to know if Kevin is still planning to attend at game at the MAC this season? Will be ever experience the intensity and fanaticism of the Kennel Club? Have an opportunity to speak with Rob Sacre or Kelly Olynyk, whom were both away representing Team Canada at World Championships?

Has Kevin already seen enough? Really?

I would be dissappointed(and crushed) if KP made his final decision without visiting during the school year and/or season. Take it all in!

BobZag
09-16-2010, 09:31 AM
I think he will visit, but not till after he receives his SAT score. I imagine Few will push for him to visit during an early game, ala vs Southern, etc. This is based on what Few has done before.

Isn't Kim Kardashion Armenian?

thespywhozaggedme
09-16-2010, 05:06 PM
Unfortunately, no; but I wish I did! ;) :)

Its a rare occurence to find a really attractive actuary, so to add she's a 'hot armenian' is quite the combination. How'd you let that one go? :p

While it was more than difficult to find qualified candidates, it was the easiest position to recruit for once we did, especially considering our Actuarial interns made $25-30 /hr for an entire Summer--while they were still in College!

Talk about a dream job if you have the mathmatical aptitude & spreadsheet skills...

By far the easiest six-figure career on the planet. No joke.

We lived in the same apartment complex in Burbank back in the day; she was hot and smart, but a bit crazy. I used to borrow her Mercedes clk convertible and drive all over Hollywood acting like a big shot, lol I wound up marrying the girl right after her, a hot Filipino, so it all worked out. :)

thespywhozaggedme
09-16-2010, 05:07 PM
I think he will visit, but not till after he receives his SAT score. I imagine Few will push for him to visit during an early game, ala vs Southern, etc. This is based on what Few has done before.

Isn't Kim Kardashion Armenian?

Yup, her dad's legalzoom founder and OJ defender Robert Kardashian. Anyone with a last name that ends in "ian" or "yan" is Armenian.

BobZag
09-16-2010, 05:18 PM
I believe Cher is also Armenian. Many thought she was Native-American back in her Sonny & Cher days.

LynetteG
09-16-2010, 07:21 PM
I believe Cher is also Armenian. Many thought she was Native-American back in her Sonny & Cher days.

You are so right! http://ethnicelebs.com/cher

Birth Name:

Cherilyn Sarkisian

Birth Place:

El Centro, California, USA

Ethnicity:

Cherokee, English, German and Armenian.

The singer was born Cherilyn Sarkisian. Her Mother, Jackie Jean Crouch is of Cherokee, English and German descent and her father is of Armenian Descent.Her father, John Sarkisian was an Armenian refugee who worked as a truck driver in the US.

Her biological fatherís name was John Sarkisian and she adopted the name LaPeirre from her step father, who was named Gilbert LaPierre.