PDA

View Full Version : No mention of Theodore yet

BobZag
05-19-2007, 09:53 AM
The first day of the Arizona Cactus Classic in Tucson had some great games with stellar performances, but despite four Rivals.com reporters covering it, there was not one word about Jordan Theodore. If he had played well, I have to think there'd be mention of it. Nothing again, though.

Peyton Siva of Franklin HS played outstanding. So did several other west coast guys. Larry Drew struggled a bit.

Perhaps one of our Zag posters will have a report.

Friday is done. Saturday and Sunday to go. We'll see if Theodore gets any good ink.

BobZag
05-19-2007, 10:39 AM
Theodore's Game #1:

http://www.azcactusclassic.com/gamestats07/b0001000011.html

For all games:

http://www.azcactusclassic.com/gamestats07/results.html

azzagfan
05-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Spent about 6 hours at the AZ Cactus Classic today, here are some of my thoughts based on the game I watched;

Peyton Siva - Real deal, plays shooting guard for Seattle Rotary Select, but in both games I watched, he absolutely scorched the nets from all over the floor. He is fast and can really jump (he had a couple dunks and most impressive was the one he missed trying to dunk off two feet with his left hand on a 6'8" guy from Compton Magic). He totally outplayed GJ Vilarino from the Compton Magic who has already verbally committed to Kentucky. One down side was his defensive effort as he has the potential to be a good defensive player with his athletic ability. Glen Dean from Roosevelt runs the point and does a pretty good job, but Siva is the guy who makes Seattle Rotary Select tick. They won and will play in the next round tomorrow AM. He was wowing the folks I was sitting around.

Larry Drew - Played pretty well. Not a scorer, but doesn't need to be on Pump N' Run Elite as they are stacked. Plays about every minute. Quick, decent body for a high school kid. I wasn't blown away.

Jordan Theodore - Watched him play tonight, and I'd say the verdict is still out. I'm not sure he can score well at the next level as he is not a great shooter, but he is quick and his team is also very good. I'm not convinced he is the best point guard on the New York Gauchos team as if he or Kemba Walker is in the game it's pretty much a wash. I'll try to see him again tomorrow.

Darian Norris - This guy lists Gonzaga as a high interest school, but he can't play at Gonzaga. He plays with Luke Babbitt (who is good, but his style doesn't fit well in these AAU games) and I saw them get absolutely demoralized by their Las Vegas AAU rivals the Dogcatchers Elite. Hank Thorns from the Dogcatchers outplayed Norris throughout the game. Norris has the best body of any of these guys, but just lacks in some areas (plus I saw him complaining during the game about how he felt he was being hacked by Thorns when he couldn't bring the ball up against him to some gray haired gentleman in the stands, potentially a father/guardian, sorry a pet peeve).

Player who impressed me the most today: Reeves Nelson (http://www.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=53914)(Class of '09) from Pump N' Run Elite, this guy is outstanding. 6'7", a man's body already and he can run, jump, handles, a good passer and is by far the best rebounder I saw. Remember how Calvary could throw down, well this guy throws down like that and he's going to be a Junior. He's a west coast guy that has everyone after him. I think the coaching staff should throw a full court press to try and get this guy as he is a game changer. He has surely seen GU on TV a hundred times over the last few years. The guy's with Scout badges around me were oohing and aahing after every thunderous dunk (I believe there were about 8 in the game I watched).

Other players to watch: Joshua Smith (http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news?slug=rivals-120857&prov=rivals&type=story_recruiting)from Seattle Rotary Select and Kentwood High. Currently, still has way too much baby fat, but held his own with the other big guys I saw and he'll only be a sophomore this year. Blocked some shots, had some big rebounds, and even hit a few elbow jumpers. Right now, he's definitely a wait and see type guy, but worth watching.

David Wear (http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=55282)/ Travis Wear (http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=55283&Sport=2): 6'8"/6'9" and to my eye it still looks like these two are growing. They come off a little bit of a Nick Fazekas style, skilled, not super athletic, but efficient and effective. They can shoot, have good hands and make sound decisions. The next in the line of Stanford's Collins/Lopez brothers if some school is lucky enough to land both of them (I just pray it isn't Stanford.)

Until tomorrow, where some of the poorer teams will have been sent packing and we can see these guys face each other.

ZagNut08
05-19-2007, 09:28 PM
There was an article a year or so ago about how some future zags could be from nor cal, and he was one of the ones mentioned. I always wished we could get him, but it seems like he is paying for more attention to the factory schools

azzagfan
05-20-2007, 05:04 AM
Well, I won't Siva play again this morning as Seattle Rotary Select lost a close one last night, but I will see Jordan Theodore possibly once or twice this morning as they beat Pump n' Run Elite by a surprising margin (85-65). Jrue Holiday who may have fatigued as the day went on saw his shooting percentage and offensive output drop a bunch in the last two games. Theodore played well (16 pts, 6 assts, 4 stls). Brandon Jennings (http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=39071&Sport=2) scoring average looks great, but his shooting percentage and 3 pt percentage indicate that he guns a lot for a point guard. I'll hopefully see him this morning as a nice comparison to the other PGs as he is the highest rated of the bunch at the tournament.

BobZag
05-20-2007, 09:08 AM
By Dave Telep of Scout--

Kemba Walker, PG, Gauchos – Over the spring we’ve come to believe that this is the fuel for the Gauchos engine. Often times he’s the sparkplug which gets the Gauchos pressing, tough attack into a faster gear. In the team’s first playoff game that’s exactly what happened. In the upset of Pump ‘n Run Elite, Chris Fouch shot it, Jordan Theodore finished and Devin Hill used his length.

By Jason Scheer of Goazcats.com--

The New York Gauchos showed why West Coast teams have problems with East Coast teams. The Gauchos defeated Pump N' Run easily due to the physicality on both offense and defense.

For the Gauchos, 6-foot-1 junior point guard Jordan Theodore is completely underrated. He is very quick and gets to the basket quite easily, while keeping his head up for his teammates. He will likely stay in the Big East and the team that lands him is getting a big time player.

For all of his personal stats and percentages, click here--

http://www.azcactusclassic.com/gamestats07/p0001000238.html

A couple more games could be added on so check this link all day.

RebornZag
05-20-2007, 09:55 AM
Thanks for all the updates on games, men. I apprecite it. I've had a good feeling all along about Theodore...thanks especially to all BobZ talked about last year. I think Jordan is the type of guy who does what's needed for his team, and from everything I've ever read on him, I think his best quallity is he's a winner...A flat out winner. And he's tough, quick and can pass....Ane it looks like he CAN score when needed. I think it's too bad Gonzaga gave up on him. Last time I checked (this morning) he still had Gonzaga listed 3rd....It's great to hear our Washington kids played real well too...I think there is a lot of talent out there if Few wants to go fishin.

BobZag
05-20-2007, 10:35 AM
The staff is still recruiting Theodore.

RebornZag
05-20-2007, 01:09 PM
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

which is it BZ? Still recruiting him or giving up on him because Tony Bennett doesn't like him?

I am beginning to believe that Jordan Theodore could possibly be everything you thought he was last year, BZ. You were the one who first got me interested in this kid. I keep up with him now on a regular basis. I am so very happy for him, because he obviously has the inner strength to prove his critics wrong. Some people don't like "tough" kids. They like smooth scorers who can't play defense and settle for weak ZONE defense. Yes, points are pretty.....I love 'em too. But there is, and always will be a place for a tough kid on a championship basketball team. Especially one that places the team above himself, which I believe Theodore does. He's obviously a distributor, yet in a huge game against the West Coast Elite he scores 16. I think he does what is necessary to win....I also believe Pargo has these same characteristics and it will be nice to keep that tradition alive when Jeremy moves on to the next level.

If we do get Clarke instead of Theodore I am sure that that would be awesome as well. Clarke is the rave right now and I'm sure deserving.

And our chances of getting either of these guys might be slim. But I'm seeing quite a bit of talent around in the '08 class at PG. That's good news to everyone.

I'm not sure who Few will sign. That's his business. And he will get the right guy. I think our preseason ranking right now (11th) with ESPN will help us. The Zags are definately heading in the "RIGHT" direction right now....UP.

spudzag
05-20-2007, 02:40 PM
His tournament results and these comments by Rivals look pretty good to me;

For the Gauchos, 6-foot-1 junior point guard Jordan Theodore is completely underrated. He is very quick and gets to the basket quite easily, while keeping his head up for his teammates. He will likely stay in the Big East and the team that lands him is getting a big time player.

Having a PG that scores when needed and dishes to better opportunites works for me. Also tough to knock a kid that likes playing a hard nosed defensive game. Different weapons - more options.

Also love the fact that a great deal of ground work has been laid down early to draw this statement in February;

Memphis, Gonzaga and Marquette are my top three schools," said Theodore. "They are all guards schools who let their guards play. I also like their coaches a lot.

With Derrick Rose commiting to Memphis it's hard to beleive the mutual attaction has changed there, at last to some degree. Gonzaga has got to have more appeal than Maquette in terms of seeing the tournament.

Glad to hear he is still in the mix after several pretty negative reports.

palmerda
05-20-2007, 03:07 PM
Reborn, I think you're getting your guards mixed up. BZ never said that GU was giving up on Theodore. Only that he hasn't been playing well of late and that GU's interest may be waning. That could well change after a couple more good showings like this weekend. You're refering to what BZ said about Tinsley.

BZ's quote from an earlier thread:

As for Tinsley, personally, I like that kid's toughness. I was very unimpressed last summer at a GU team camp, but it must've been an off game. But the entire staff has evaluated Tinsley for a year, dozens of times, same as Tony Bennett and his WSU staff, and yet no offers from either school. Why is that, you suppose? Are two of the brightest young coaches in the country blowing it? That tells me something. Both Few and Bennett are not stupid, and each coach is trying to get the best possible recruit they can. Hmmm.
http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=2993

RebornZag
05-20-2007, 04:04 PM
Palmerda: Here are a couple quotes from BobZ which led me to make my statements. I try to be accurate.

BobZ says, "With those three off the table, that left Jordan Theodore, Brad Tinsley and not much else. But as the months went by, other names started to appear. More evaluation took place."

He continues, "Neither Scout nor Rivals has mentioned Jordan Theodore this spring. Not one thumbnail evaluation, not one update, nothing, all spring long through multiple tournaments. Since I correspond with Rivals' Jerry Meyer, I asked him why not. It became clear JT was not only playing very poorly but also possibly regressing." This statement is just not the truth. Sorry!!!

Bob continues, "This is evaluation time. It's when the cream rises to the top, when the wannabes are exposed, and every recruit out there knows he has to play his best if he wants to catch coaches' eyes. Sometimes a kid's best isn't good enough for top programs."

In another post Bob says, "So I have not mentioned JT for a long time, long before he dropped 35 spots in Rivals' rankings. It is my understanding he will not be offered by Memphis, Marquette or any of his top choices if he doesn't turn his game around."

These quotes did not leave a good impression of Theodore with me. That's why I did my own research.

As for Clarke Bob is saying a lot. I'll just use one quote, "Clarke is receiving raves. Gonzaga and its fans can't be afraid of lots of other schools getting in on a kid. If Few likes a kid in a small town in Oklahoma enough to go visit him, I know who Gonzaga wants."

I am also aware of Bob's sentiments toward GU's recruitment of Tinsley, and I have also responded to that in one of my previous posts, so I won't reitterate my ideas on that again. I don't believe I'm mixed up at all. I'm only after the truth.

JLGutrocks
05-20-2007, 06:42 PM
Reborn,

Did you wake up a few weeks ago and find yourself to be an elite recruiting analyst or are you just trying to be an a$$hole? You're taking yourself way too seriously. Jabs at other posters, not dissenting opinions, ...jabs, are juvenile and petty. I thought more of you. Now I don't. Xanax baby, that should cure it.

azzagfan
05-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Well I was able to see all the games today from the quarterfinals to the finals. I watched the Gauchos and Jordan Theodore play 3 times today (4 total), and my personal feeling about him is he shows flashes of brilliance penetrating and dishing, he's a good free throw shooter, so he's great to have at the end of a game handling the ball (which he does well). He's very quick and can get into the paint. He doesn't finish well when he has to. He doesn't take the ball very strong and as a result teams play off of him and have a tendency to knock away or steal his passes. He seems to be a decent shooter, but he doesn't look to shoot very often from the outside as he prefers to penetrate.
He was clearly the second best point guard on his team in this tournament. Kemba Walker is a stud. He is as quick as Theodore and gets to the hoop and can finish when needed. He's much tougher both mentally and physically. Theodore tends to get down on himself and it affects his play. His coach took him out on several occasions to discuss this with him. Walker and Chris Fouch (great shooter) are the reason the Gauchos won this tournament. Walker looked Brandon Jennings in the face and smiled and went right by him on several occasions.
Brandon Jennings was as advertised, although his shot is ugly and he was way off in the final. He is a tremendously quick jumper and very good rebounder for a guard. Theodore could not keep him off the glass when he defended him. Jennings just outworked him. Apparently he is staying over for a few days in Tucson to do an unofficial visit to UofA. The rule says there is a 24 hour no contact period post-tournament. Larry Drew is also staying.

Best prospect I saw play today: Jeremy Tyler who will be a sophomore in high school this year and could start at most D-1 schools this year. This kid will be very, very good.

Most surprising player I saw today: Roberto Nelson from Belmont Shores. In the final, the player people were talking about for most the game was not Brandon Jennings, it was this kid, who based on the discussion was a bit off the radar. Can really jump and shoot and gets to the hoop with ease.

CDC84
05-20-2007, 07:37 PM
Thanks for the recap azzagfan. Good stuff.

RebornZag
05-20-2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks for sharing Gutrocks!!! It's been way too long since someone has attacked me on our Board, and especially since we've moved to the new board. BZ and the other Mods must be taking the night off. I was really beginning to think I had either lost my touch or just flat out subconsciously decided to not say what I really believe for fear that it might upset the Commander in Chief or his lieutenants. :lmao: (I'm laughing....are you? At least smile....:)

I do have experience recruiting Gutrocks. I recruited for Grid Kids a few years and I put together an AAU team two different times. :D I was also a member of the Boy Scouts...and went to mass every sunday. I also put together a couple of pretty good City League teams that won championships when I was in my late 30's. :lmao:

I'm just sharing my knowledge, although limited, just like anyone else. I don't mean to be personal with you, GR but I really think you need to brush up on your boxing skills. Before you can hit a target you need to be able to see it.

I've never used Zanex for relaxing, GR. Hitting a punching bag really does it for me. I'm glad you noticed the work I've been doing on my jab. Thanks.

TimZag
05-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Reborn,

Did you wake up a few weeks ago and find yourself to be an elite recruiting analyst or are you just trying to be an a$$hole? You're taking yourself way too seriously. Jabs at other posters, not dissenting opinions, ...jabs, are juvenile and petty. I thought more of you. Now I don't. Xanax baby, that should cure it.Since you can't force feed him Xanax... go to User CP -> Buddy/Ignore Lists and type in the name of a specific poster who adds nothing but drivel to most discussions. ;)

gamagin
05-20-2007, 08:30 PM
how difficult it is to select just the right person for just the right position for just the right few seasons. Over and over.

And be right, wrong or close enough to field another NCAA contender.

I'm going to boldly predict the answer will be yes, we are all of these more often than not. especially the first and third options.

RebornZag
05-20-2007, 08:59 PM
drivel = anyone's honest opinion that is contrary to the opinions of the secret inner circle of back slappers.

Xanex = The ideas, as well as the vocabulary that expresses any of the ideas, of this secret society.

Their philosophy of life. If you can't beat 'em, then delete 'em!!! :lmao:

The thing most feared. People who refuse to take Xanex, and who practice the art of boxing and/or Tai Chi as methods of relaxaion.

Zagdawg
05-21-2007, 06:17 AM
GL--

Reborn posts in search of reactions-- my 17 month old son does the same thing around the house.....(not posting on the board...but doing things around the house and watches the wifes and my reaction)--

One of the best reactions you can have is to ignore what my son does -- and he usually doesn't do it again--because it did not incite a reaction ...usually (unless it is way over the top then the good beating is in order-- :) --j/k)

Everyone is entitiled to their opinion----Some people have a constructive opinion and some just post it to see what kind of reaction they can incite.

BobZags opinion=constructive and informative-- some other posters not as constructive or informative.

I used to post on our little sisters board on the other side of the state to incite reactions also-- just wind them up and let them go-----woohoo--- (notice my choice of words --"little sisters board"-- usually gets a reaction)

Either way we are bound to have a reborn around from time to time.

Just take it for what it is and you will be good to go---

Go Zags---

NorthoftheBorder
05-21-2007, 11:26 AM
If you read a lot of Reborn's posts you will see that he does not post comments for the sole purpose of provoking a reaction.

His posts are well thought out and sincere. His recent post was to question what appeared to be inconsistencies in Bobzag's comments over point guard recruits over the past few months.

Yes, Reborn posts comments to try and promote discussion ..... but he does not post comments that he doesn't believe in just to get a reaction.

Keep up the good work Reborn !

RebornZag
05-21-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the update Azzagfan: Great work. I've been reading up on Walker on Scout.com. Sounds like he had a great, great tournament. He seems to have come a long ways since last year, as he is now rated 16th best pg (Spring ranking) and will certain rise a lot. Walker seemed to outplay Jennings, the #1 ranked pg in the country, in the finals. This tournament certainly had many of the best point guards in it. It must have been nice to see. A couple articles do give Theodore some pretty good ink, and it seems he has a tendency to get down on himself, but seems to have great speed and quickness and attacks defensively. I see where Memphis is after both Walker and Theodore. The list of schools after Theodore is pretty impressive. I think his strength is distributing the ball, ball handling and defense. Your report sounds like Jennings pretty much outplayed Theodore by quite a bit.

I see R. Clarke is ranked 10th in this latest ranking.

thickman1
05-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Well I was able to see all the games today from the quarterfinals to the finals. I watched the Gauchos and Jordan Theodore play 3 times today (4 total), and my personal feeling about him is he shows flashes of brilliance penetrating and dishing, he's a good free throw shooter, so he's great to have at the end of a game handling the ball (which he does well). He's very quick and can get into the paint. He doesn't finish well when he has to. He doesn't take the ball very strong and as a result teams play off of him and have a tendency to knock away or steal his passes. He seems to be a decent shooter, but he doesn't look to shoot very often from the outside as he prefers to penetrate.
He was clearly the second best point guard on his team in this tournament. Kemba Walker is a stud. He is as quick as Theodore and gets to the hoop and can finish when needed. He's much tougher both mentally and physically. Theodore tends to get down on himself and it affects his play. His coach took him out on several occasions to discuss this with him. Walker and Chris Fouch (great shooter) are the reason the Gauchos won this tournament. Walker looked Brandon Jennings in the face and smiled and went right by him on several occasions.
Brandon Jennings was as advertised, although his shot is ugly and he was way off in the final. He is a tremendously quick jumper and very good rebounder for a guard. Theodore could not keep him off the glass when he defended him. Jennings just outworked him. Apparently he is staying over for a few days in Tucson to do an unofficial visit to UofA. The rule says there is a 24 hour no contact period post-tournament. Larry Drew is also staying.

Best prospect I saw play today: Jeremy Tyler who will be a sophomore in high school this year and could start at most D-1 schools this year. This kid will be very, very good.

Most surprising player I saw today: Roberto Nelson from Belmont Shores. In the final, the player people were talking about for most the game was not Brandon Jennings, it was this kid, who based on the discussion was a bit off the radar. Can really jump and shoot and gets to the hoop with ease.

This recap on Theodore sounds a lot like a senior PG who is leaving the program.

Zagdawg
05-24-2007, 06:39 AM
Reborn --

If you don't feel the need to respond to my post in public-- please don't respond to me in private about how you think I am "disrepecting my family" with my posts or "fighting battles with them"-- um-- this is a message board created to discuss the Zags and allow people to express their opinions--

The rant was impressive and it gave me a glimpse of the bitterness you must be feeling about life in general ( i guess we have seen glimpses of it in your posts at times).

I suppose this was the reaction that you expect to garner from that private post--

Everyone has opinions-- it's the way you choose to deliver of that opinion that can make a difference --

I'm more of a glass is half full type of guy-- with a sense of humor-- and a Zag athletic supporter till the end (not like a jock--but a fan).

I do like the way you have cleaned up your public posts since you were called out on the board-- and we are all adults here (well mostly)-- lets act like it.

Go Zags---

JLGutrocks
05-24-2007, 12:48 PM
You got one too ZD? Me too. Alot of anger in it. I'm 1/2 tempted to post it here. I guess if I get five posters voting to see it I will. :p

spudzag
05-24-2007, 01:04 PM
We have plenty of fertile ground to cover debating the relative merits prospects without the character assassination. Don't you think?:D

JLGutrocks
05-24-2007, 01:33 PM
I do spud, I'm just twistin his tail. :D

RebornZag
05-24-2007, 10:06 PM
I believe this is a board set up to talk about GU basketball. These kinds of personal attacks and character assassinations do not have a place on private Boards. That's just my opinion.

I was under the impression that when we joined this Board that we were agreeing not to demean other members of this board in public by calling them names, or using swear words to desribe them. I also believed that we could feel safe here and NOT be attacked and humiliated in public. I believed it was the job of the moderators to keep this kind of trash off the boards.

I think talking about Theodore, Tinsley, Clarke, and Trent, or one of the new guys like Gibbs, is a lot more interesting then reading someone's opinion about another poster whom they obviously don't like.

LongIslandZagFan
05-25-2007, 06:38 AM
I believe this is a board set up to talk about GU basketball. These kinds of personal attacks and character assassinations do not have a place on private Boards. That's just my opinion.

That is correct. Which is why you attacked Bob and the other mods on this and the old board??

IMHO... I think everyone needs to step back ANY personal attacks. This is getting childish at best. I get better behavior out of my daughters 11 yr old soccer team.