PDA

View Full Version : Are the Zags still in the Top-25 after...

Kiddwell
09-13-2010, 06:56 PM
...this suicide run?

11/16 -- San Diego State (home honchos)
11/22 -- K. State (road warriors)
11/23 -- Duke/Marquette (road warriors)
11/30 -- Eastern (home honchos)
12/04 -- Illinois (BiS)
12/08 -- WSU (road warriors)
12/11 -- Notre Dame (road warriors)
12/16 -- Lois & Clark (home honchos)
12/18 -- Baylor (road warriors)

This is the most monstrous portion of the schedule (toughest opponents PLUS mostly at their venues). A gauntlet and a half. By mid-WCC time, no doubt the Zags are ranked. But at the end of this challenging run???

Kiddwell is nervous. We better take out at least three of these squads (i.e. teams besides Eastern and Lois) to maintain a Top-25 ranking, IMHO.

:]

dim4sum
09-13-2010, 07:01 PM
i was never aware that Lois Lane and Clark (alias Superman) Kent had a college named after them--i.e, the Lois and Clark team we face in pre-season. Get out the kryptonite. It's the only way we win.

cggonzaga
09-13-2010, 07:45 PM
We'd have to go at least 5-4 imo. Lets win 'em all and secure a top 3-5 ranking.

75Zag
09-13-2010, 09:17 PM
The best thing about NCAA D1 BB is that rankings don't mean anything. My friends and co-workers from the U of O are currently agog over the weekly football rankings, with each week being a live-or-die predictor of whether U of O might play for the national championship (they won't).

In BB it does not matter whether you are in the top 25 or not. Just make the darn tournament and start winning your way to the top. Seeding is nice, but talent will prevail over ratings, rankings and seeding. Not like football, where the sports writers are the end-all of the national championship race.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

MDABE80
09-13-2010, 09:39 PM
Tall order. If we only lose 3 of those games ( K. St, Duke, Baylor...all away), we still have Xavier, Ok St and Wake Forest up to the League beginning.
I'd guess it'll be close.
Most think San Diego St will be the strongest test early on. Maybe so. Xavier and Wake bother me. If we end the OOC with only 3 losses, it's a gift and YES we'll be in the top 25...and we should be. 4 or more losses...we'll have to ravage the WCC to be brought back into the Top 25. In short, it'll be close.

Reborn
09-14-2010, 05:29 AM
I see no need to be negative before the season even begins. Keep the faith!

Of course the polls do count, and if you don't think seeding matters take a look at our last two years. In my opinion the worst seeds in the tournament are 8,9 and 4,5. I'm hoping for a 2 or 3 seed this year. To do that we must win some of these games that Kiddwell mentions. I'm believing that we can win some of those away games because I really like the Zags in '10-'11.

VaBeachZAG
09-14-2010, 06:20 AM
Seems like someone wants to make the point every new bb season that the polls don't count. Of course they count, and they count big! The reason for this is national rep and prestige which is vital when recruiting against the BCS big boys. Polls become momentarily irrelevant after the tournament brackets have been set, otherwise, they are always going to be relevant.

However, I will concede that poll rankings are often flawed to some lesser or greater extent and could naturally lead one to the conclusion that they have little meaning. What makes polls meaningful and important is not that they always get the rankings right (tournament results often prove otherwise), but that EVERYONE watches them and talks about them. If the Zags are in the polls they will be part of the national discussion and get that much needed positive publicity for recruiting purposes.

LongIslandZagFan
09-14-2010, 06:35 AM
...this suicide run?

12/04 -- Illinois (BiS)

This is the most monstrous portion of the schedule (toughest opponents PLUS mostly at their venues). A gauntlet and a half. By mid-WCC time, no doubt the Zags are ranked. But at the end of this challenging run???

Kiddwell is nervous. We better take out at least three of these squads (i.e. teams besides Eastern and Lois) to maintain a Top-25 ranking, IMHO.

I hope you aren't actually worried about Eastern and L&C

titopoet
09-14-2010, 06:55 AM
...this suicide run?

12/04 -- Illinois (BiS)

There are two ways of looking at this. The second is this a great opportunity to make a run at a 3, 2 or 1 seed. Finish the OCS with a 14-3 or 15-2 and with only a loss or two in the WCC and the and they are 26-5 with a great case for a high seed. Go 15-2 without a loss in WCC and they could make a run at 1 seed. Even a 12-5 with a strong WCC could make the case for a 4, 5, or 6 seed.

CaliforniaZaggin'
09-14-2010, 07:30 AM
Lets win 'em all and secure a top 3-5 ranking.

Exactly! Why is the presumption that the Zags are going to hit the skids when they play some good teams and fall out of the top 25? Our glass is half full, not half empty.

Kiddwell
09-14-2010, 07:34 AM
I hope you aren't actually worried about Eastern and L&C

No, LIZF, no worries about Eastern and L&C. Kiddwell considers them "W's". Of course, Portland State took out the Zags a few seasons back, so one never knows. So, besides Eastern and L&C, the Zags need at least three wins in this most-challenging stretch.

This fan hopes we get 'em from San Diego State, Marquette, and WSU. Then anything after that is the sort of "gravy" that'll keep the Zags in the polls, which are IMO a pretty big deal for recruiting and a pretty big deal, at least "subconsciously," for the people formulating the NCAA brackets.

BobZag
09-14-2010, 08:42 AM
When our team becomes fully operational it will be the ultimate power in the universe. Any attempt at beating it will be a useless gesture!

MDABE80
09-14-2010, 10:28 AM
Well...there it is! BZ knows....I know....LIZ knows....we win everything!...even before the season begins..:)

Nevtelen
09-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Exactly! Why is the presumption that the Zags are going to hit the skids when they play some good teams and fall out of the top 25? Our glass is half full, not half empty.

Not just the quality of the teams, but the timing of the games and the fact that so many are on the road. I really don't think there will be a team in the country that will have a harder stretch that than this season, in or out of conference, and I think a few losses are to be expected. I think that that stretch will have the Zags bouncing around a bit, but probably ending somewhere in the mid 20s in the polls. If a few bounces go our way, the mid-teens. If they don't, probably out of the polls. There will certainly be sportswriters who will recognize how tough that stretch of games really is, but most will just do the automatic 'move up if they win, down if they lose' thing. And with a lot of BCS teams doing the standard pretty weak non-conf sched, I think there will be plenty of teams moving up with lots of wins vs easy or mediocre opposition. OTOH, the Zags generally tend to start the season very strong and only start to hit a wall in mid-December, this could work out better than I think if the team gels well early.

HOOTER
09-16-2010, 10:15 AM
If only the Zags can get through this brutal portion of the schedule unscathed, thing get significantly easier with Xavier, Oklahoma St. and Wake Forest. ;)

Kiddwell
09-16-2010, 03:27 PM
If only the Zags can get through this brutal portion of the schedule unscathed, thing get significantly easier with Xavier, Oklahoma St. and Wake Forest. ;)

The positive thing about Xavier, [Lafayette], Okie State, and Wake is that the first three are in our house. This thread's aforementioned and earlier "suicide run" is in their houses (except the two "gimmes," Eastern and L&C, and tough San Diego State). Tough Illinois is in our Seattle "home," Key Arena.

So if we build up a head of steam in the above "suicide run's" away games (read: make a national statement in those games), then that steam might very well carry over to the ensuing mini-gauntlet of "Xavier et al." If, on the other hand, that early gauntlet administers a bruising to our beloved Zags, the boys have a chance to quickly bounce back at home against some very respectable teams (Xavier, Okie State) before flying off to Wake.

In any case, it's not negative to say that the "San Diego State to Baylor" run will be challenging and tone-setting. Nor is it negative to say, for better or worse, that stretch will have a major affect on the Zags' national ranking. The early challenging games are the type of awesome early scheduling to get one's heart beating with expectation, excitement and a tad of trepidation. (On the other hand, without the tad of trepidation in scheduling GU would be, well, the UW@KFC.) :)

LongIslandZagFan
09-16-2010, 03:50 PM
Well...there it is! BZ knows....I know....LIZ knows....we win everything!...even before the season begins..:)

On the contrary... I would be happy coming out of that .500... but Eastern and L&C should not be high on the worry scale. SDSU... yes... that could be a tough one.

dim4sum
09-16-2010, 07:50 PM
The skills are there but from what I see, the team may lack a glue guy like Bouldin--someone to soothe the spirits, and keep the team performing as a team and not as a quintet of five talented, but dysfunctional athletes.
If a glue guy doesn't emerge early on, we could lose as many as six games in the pre-season. I don't think that's a role Gray would relish or perform. And that troubles me because he's the only senior. Maybe someone can take in a few practices on the chemistry of this team. That's all important.

MDABE80
09-16-2010, 09:07 PM
We won't have a Bouldin. I wish we did. Has to be someone the players respect. Doubt it'll be one of the new guys unless Carter's age and experience is respected by coupling it to an early set of very good performances generating his leadership. Rob? Nope...Elias..maybe... Steven? don't think so.. Manny?...shy, much too shy. Meech? could be if he's done some serious shooting work. He is a quarterback at heart. Very fiery.

It'll be interesting. We've always had one. Never a committee in the modern era.

Zag79
09-16-2010, 09:40 PM
12/04 -- Illinois (BiS)

bold is a win, looks good to me!

Kiddwell
09-17-2010, 07:21 AM
12/04 -- Illinois (BiS)

bold is a win, looks good to me!

K State? They're pretty good, but I hope you're right. If we do beat K State then we're likely to face Duke. Duke is really starting to irritate Kiddwell, as the Dookies tend to pound us. Who was it on another thread who said to "nuke Duke, it's the only way to be sure?"

Love your positive take on this, Zag 79! If your prognostications prove true, the Zags are going to have a lofty national ranking. :)

LongIslandZagFan
09-17-2010, 07:31 AM
SDSU - W
KState/Duke/Marquette - 1W 1L
Eastern -W
Illinois - Undecided... Will go wih W for now
WSU - W
ND- L
L&C - W
Baylor - L

Ekrub
09-17-2010, 07:31 AM
12/04 -- Illinois (BiS)
????12/18 -- Baylor (road warriors)??????

Same as above, bold is a win. I think we lose to Duke, and Baylor is a game that I feel uneasy about.

Zag79
09-17-2010, 10:09 PM
K State? They're pretty good, but I hope you're right. If we do beat K State then we're likely to face Duke. Duke is really starting to irritate Kiddwell, as the Dookies tend to pound us. Who was it on another thread who said to "nuke Duke, it's the only way to be sure?"

Love your positive take on this, Zag 79! If your prognostications prove true, the Zags are going to have a lofty national ranking.

yeah i know, a little kool aid im sure. :D but i was thinking that since k state is the first game on the road, the fellas should have lots of energy and be ready to steal a good win. i cant wait for the season to tip off period!