PDA

View Full Version : This is kinda how I feel at this time

BobZag
05-18-2007, 02:35 PM
This is from a a mailbag discussion on an UNC site:

"I know Roy wants a point guard from the 2008 class. So if [Larry] Drew commits somewhere else, who is our backup target?

I don't see too many, if any, backup targets for Larry Drew, because the Tar Heels are in very good shape to earn his commitment later this summer. While something could certainly backfire at the last minute, right now it's looking very good for UNC and Drew, and until further notice, we don't see too many backup options on the horizon at point guard, at least not ones in line to get scholarship offers. The fact that Coach Williams has made Drew his top priority at point guard and hasn't offered or shown major interest in any 'backup' players, is helping make the Tar Heels more attractive to the California native."

Except for Rotnei Clarke, I'm not sure about the others. I know Few doesn't give scholies just to be giving scholies, so other than Clarke, I just don't know. Substitute Clarke for Drew in the above quote for me re: Gonzaga.

stevet75
05-18-2007, 03:09 PM
If we don't get a point guard next year, in your opinion, how will that effect the team in future years? What other options are there?

BobZag
05-18-2007, 05:30 PM
I think it's obvious we do need to get a PG for 2008. A year behind Pargo, and with Matt here too, the 2008 guy will learn a lot before Pargo leaves. If we wait till 2009, Pargo is gone and the kid would have to step right in cold turkey.

There's lots of evaluating to go, and as usual the staff is leaving no stone unturned, so I'm confident they'll find a real good one. Maybe even Clarke. We came very close to Maryland's Greivis Vasquez last summer, so it ain't over till it's over, and it usually turns out better than any of us expect.

Bocco
05-18-2007, 06:28 PM
when I wish I was fat dumb and happy and just hoped that GU could attact a few recruits that could over time dribble and chew gum at the same time.....

......now I find myself worring/wondering about who we're recruiting 2-3 years from now.

How our expectations have changed over the last ten years or so.

MickMick
05-18-2007, 07:26 PM
So what does Dan Dickau, Errol Knight, and Micah Downs have in common?

What I am suggesting is that those kids that "we almost got"....well sometimes we end up getting them here anyways. I have confidence that GU (Guard U) will not be without a competent point in 2009. When is the last time they haven't?

RebornZag
05-18-2007, 08:30 PM
Did ALMOST ever count? That is so funny!!!:D I hope we DON'T go after Clarke in the same manner as Bob says Roy Williams is NOT recruiting anyone else but Drew. None of that makes sense to me, but I would imagine Roy W. can do things to get recruits that Few can't. I do think it's nice to dream about getting some guard Like Clarke (if he's all THAT). And I guess dreaming is what gets a lot of folks through the off season. But come on....I just read a May 10th article about Clark and there wasn't a word about Gonzaga in the whole article. Now I find that EXTREMELY ODD!!!!!!!!!! Us thinking we have a chance for a kid who's coach and uncle doesn't even mention our name? :lmao: Good one..Who'd want a kid like that any way? He sounds pretty arrogant to me.

I'm off this R. Clarke jag folks....It just isn't going to happen...we might be close in the end. :D I could care less too. I've never liked Oklahoma. The question I asked about Clarke awhile ago was...is he fast? and is he quick? These were serious concerns of others too in the May 10th article.

I will continue to pull for Tinsley (a kid from Oregon) and Theodore (a kid in the same neighborhood as Pargo.....kind of sort of if you get my drift) until I hear better reasons then the ones I've heard so far. The reasons listed are like skim milk to me. To say we won't recruit Tinsley because WSU isn't, is crazy to me. Since when do we begin comparing ourselves to WSU. We are completely different teams. I would think the mere fact that WSU is not recruiting Tinsley would be a good reason for us to do so....I hope you read my latest post on Tinsley and how he just played a great game that his team won in double overtime and he made the winning 3 pt play.....He scored 25 vs the #3 shooting guard in the country who got 32 and lost....I think Tinsley can hold his own....Tinsley wants to come to GU I think...I wish Few would go get him....I hope Mark isn't waiting on Clarke the way he waited for Farmar (who went to UCLA)...and ALMOST went to GU. I'm kind of sick of hearing about players we ALMOST got. It's just like losing a game by 2 or 20...It's all the same. A loss is a loss.

It now appears that Theodore has fallen from grace with Mark Few. A poster mentions an off court incident which I'm unaware of....(thanks for sharing).
Oh yes.....recruiting is fluid. And as BobZ warned...some people just won't get it.

I do share the same confidence in Mark Few and his staff that others do. And I won't be shocked by anything...believe me. I haven't the slightest clue what Few is thinking. All I can do is have fun guessing. But I will try to make my guessing as educated as possible and use well thought out and honest statements here on the board. I think I owe that to you. I think we all owe that to each other.

john montana
05-19-2007, 04:51 PM
i just want us to get the best player out there, and i trust the coach few a whole more than highlight reels and word of mouth. if his guy is clarke...there is a reason. i haven't seen ANY of these kids play as much as few has. not by a long shot...

Bocco
05-19-2007, 05:17 PM
So what does Dan Dickau, Errol Knight, and Micah Downs have in common?

What I am suggesting is that those kids that "we almost got"....well sometimes we end up getting them here anyways. I have confidence that GU (Guard U) will not be without a competent point in 2009. When is the last time they haven't?

This is a great point. Even if all the pgs that the coaching staff offers goes to other schools initially past history tells us there is a good chance one of them will not like their first choice and chose to join the Zags. So even if we seem to come up empty in the next year to recruit a pg for 2008 on probably will come our way. Though it would sure be easier on my digestive tract if someone commits out of high school!

BobZag
05-19-2007, 05:24 PM
This is a great point. Even if all the pgs that the coaching staff offers goes to other schools initially past history tells us there is a good chance one of them will not like their first choice and chose to join the Zags. So even if we seem to come up empty in the next year to recruit a pg for 2008 on probably will come our way. Though it would sure be easier on my digestive tract if someone commits out of high school!

Zags will get a top PG for 2008, by hook or crook, but I'll be very surprised if it's Theodore or Tinsley.

Agree on the transfer angle.

Bocco
05-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Zags will get a top PG for 2008, by hook or crook, but I'll be very surprised if it's Theodore or Tinsley.

I don't know about hook or crook in referring to transfers, I prefer to view it as a young man maturing and coming to his senses. :lmao:

MickMick
05-19-2007, 05:58 PM

That is why we have to disregard the naysayers if Rotnei Clark gives a verbal elsewhere. It doesn't stop with him either. Every player that Few has put considerable effort into (Luke Babbit or Greivis Vasquez for example) is a potential Micah Downs. Although this is a crap shoot method of determining a long term roster, it is difficult to turn down the McDonalds boys when they become available. Further, Few has a very successful history of bringing in the transfers. No one thinks of Dickau or Knight as Huskies now do they?