PDA

View Full Version : Folks, we have a keeper (and other stuff)

BobZag
09-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Marquise Carter has surpassed everybody's expectations and is receiving raves from people inside and outside the program. Very cerebral, mature and his skills have been one of the most pleasant surprises in the off-season. He's not the stereotypical Juco (gunner, ball hog, juke n' jive, me first, attitude, etc.), he does everything possible to make his teammates better, and he shoots it if the opportunity arises. In short, nobody was expecting Marquise to be as good as he is as soon as this.

Look for a whole new Kelly Olynyk this season, and he'll be notably better as the season wears on. By the time he is an upperclassman, he could be scary.

Sam Dower can put up points quicker than just about any big Gonzaga has ever had. It ain't always a picture of beauty, but he possesses an uncanny knack for putting the ball in the basket.

Monninghoff and Keita are doing very well, and one coach has high praise for both. This coach rarely has high praise for any player, so they must be really impressing him.

Lastly, but certainly not least, there is a bounce in the step of the staff, a positive feeling about this season's team and the potential that lies ahead. That was not the case last year. They know the schedule is stacked with difficult games and some WCC teams will be tougher than before, but they feel this team can handle it.

Less than two months to first game.

ZagHouse
09-10-2010, 04:30 PM
Any info on Hyland? I bumped into Blake Steppe this summer and asked about the summer scrimmages. He said Keegan was struggling a bit, but that was to be expected.

BobZag
09-10-2010, 04:41 PM
Any info on Hyland? I bumped into Blake Stepp this summer and asked about the summer scrimmages. He said Keegan was struggling a bit, but that was to be expected.

I only heard about who I mentioned above.

thespywhozaggedme
09-10-2010, 06:09 PM
Marquise Carter has surpassed everybody's expectations and is receiving raves from people inside and outside the program. Very cerebral, mature and his skills have been one of the most pleasant surprises in the off-season. He's not the stereotypical Juco (gunner, ball hog, juke n' jive, me first, attitude, etc.), he does everything possible to make his teammates better, and he shoots it if the opportunity arises. In short, nobody was expecting Marquise to be as good as he is as soon as this.

Look for a whole new Kelly Olynyk this season, and he'll be notably better as the season wears on. By the time he is an upperclassman, he could be scary.

Sam Dower can put up points quicker than just about any big Gonzaga has ever had. It ain't always a picture of beauty, but he possesses an uncanny knack for putting the ball in the basket.

Monninghoff and Keita are doing very well, and one coach has high praise for both. This coach rarely has high praise for any player, so they must be really impressing him.

Lastly, but certainly not least, there is a bounce in the step of the staff, a positive feeling about this season's team and the potential that lies ahead. That was not the case last year. They know the schedule is stacked with difficult games and some WCC teams will be tougher than before, but they feel this team can handle it.

Less than two months to first game.

Good enough to be the starting point guard good?

dim4sum
09-10-2010, 06:46 PM
It all adds up to more depth at every position, from what I read. Last year my confidence in the outcome always sagged when the likes of Gibbs, Vilarino, Foster and (later in the season) Kong were in the lineup.
There is one intriguing combination involving either an injury or poor performance, where Sacre and Gray sit and the lineup has Kelly, Harris and Dower, with Carter and Monninghoff.

JohnOGU
09-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Said long ago, Marquise DID WORK against Pargo when he visited during the Summer. Heard nothing but good things about him.

MickMick
09-10-2010, 07:09 PM
Great news about Carter. Spirit lifting news.

Any news on what position Kieta Mathis is going to play? I kinda thought all along that people were selling him a bit short.

RenoZag
09-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the encouraging news, Bob.

One quote caught my eye:

That reminds me of J. P. Batista. . .

sittingon50
09-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Thanks for the news, BZ. Sounds good.

SWZag
09-10-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the exciting update. Am anxious to see these guys in action.

SWZag

whatazag
09-10-2010, 09:49 PM
I can only hope this turns out like the msg we saw last year about this time when we heard that a kid named Elias had come in and really blown away expectations.

ZagNative
09-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Super report, BZ.

Only 34 days until the first practice!

cjm720
09-10-2010, 10:05 PM
Very encouraging news, especially Carter. Go Zags!!

jazzdelmar
09-11-2010, 03:44 AM
Olynk-Dower as Hayward-Howard? One can dream.....

hondo
09-11-2010, 07:11 AM
On Carter I have been hearing the same.

Bogozags
09-11-2010, 08:04 AM
THANKS BZ!

It was great to hear the mix of what's happening behind the scenes.

I anticipated Carter to do well...he seems to be a very heady player with abilities. This sheds much light on the upcoming season.

Lurknomore
09-11-2010, 08:05 AM
Thanks BZ that is great news. Makes getting Battle in Seattle tickets today even more exciting.

Club Prez
09-11-2010, 09:11 AM
I can only hope this turns out like the msg we saw last year about this time when we heard that a kid named Elias had come in and really blown away expectations.

What What said! :D

BobZag
09-11-2010, 09:28 AM
I hear Keita is doing very well. I'll be the first to fess up and say I had major doubts about him to Gonzaga, and I still do, but I heard the opposite, that he could surprise us. Still from Missouri on him, though: Show me.

Just a note: Because Gray, Sacre, Harris, etc., aren't mentioned doesn't mean a thing. Time was limited.

Wow, is Wendy Nix suddenly super cute, or what? *ahem*

Reborn
09-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Thanks BZ. I think there are quite a few Zag fans who have been expecting what you reported about Carter. Some of us saw him play. I also feel that GU has had some very good JUCCO players. The most notable, JP Bautista. I have hoped Carter will be as good as JP. I remember Few telling us that he needed outside shooters this year, and his first get was Carter. I've always believed in Few and his ability to recruit. He has an eye for guys that many coaches overlook, and that is one big part of what has made Gonzaga successful. Recruiting is a huge piece of the puzzle, and I have always appreciated the off season reporting by people here on the board. I find it very interesting stuff. Carter is 6'4" which I bellieve is an excellent size for a pg. A 6'4" pg can see much better than a 5'9" player, and in this day of basketball there are so many pgs over 6'0" that it helps to defend some of the taller guards if you're 6'4".

I think one of the biggest concerns of fans about next season is the pg position, and this news BZ sends us helps to calm the doubt.

The news about Kelly really isn't news at all. Anyone who doesn't believe Kelly is going to be a start at Gonzaga, and is going to contribute this year in a much bigger way is just completely biased.

The news about Monninghoff and Keita is just great. This is the news that I've been looking for. I remember the early reports about Keita and his toughness and ability to play defense was very good news at that time, and I think it's being confirmed now by people who are seeing him play.

LongIslandZagFan
09-11-2010, 09:43 AM

Respectfully disagree... JP's touch was smooth and silky and rarely ugly.

MickMick
09-11-2010, 10:08 AM
JP Batista would start for the Zags right now. He would likely be the leading scorer as well.

I'm gonna need a full season of high productivity from Dower before I start comparing him to JP.

I would be absolutely thrilled if Carter compared in relative quality to another Juco named TJ Campbell.

thespywhozaggedme
09-11-2010, 10:26 AM
I hear Keita is doing very well. I'll be the first to fess up and say I had major doubts about him to Gonzaga, and I still do, but I heard the opposite, that he could surprise us. Still from Missouri on him, though: Show me.

Just a note: Because Gray, Sacre, Harris, etc., aren't mentioned doesn't mean a thing. Time was limited.

Wow, is Wendy Nix suddenly super cute, or what? *ahem*

I notice that you ignored my question. ;)

jazzdelmar
09-11-2010, 10:31 AM
yeah, ive noticed too....surely BZer is hedging his bets.....

MDABE80
09-11-2010, 10:42 AM
Who cares if the guy looks like a wrecked battle ship or silky smooth!!! He'll get the ball in the hole and get lots of rebounds doing it. Sam's a different play than we've seen in a while. By Jan, he'll be one to enjoy. He's bigger, stronger and has lots better skills than when he came to us at 18 yrs of age.
I liked him from the start in 2009 Summer. PLUS...he has heart (something we need more of around here)....like some of our olden players.

GUDan07
09-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Respectfully disagree... JP's touch was smooth and silky and rarely ugly.

Agreed. The man's low post game was artful.

thespywhozaggedme
09-11-2010, 10:55 AM
yeah, ive noticed too....surely BZer is hedging his bets.....

Never took him to be the pc type. ;)

BobZag
09-11-2010, 11:58 AM
More a case of forgetfulness than pc.

Yes to Spy's question.

Dower scores uglier than Batista did, but he can put up numbers quickly. Batista was, as someone said, artful. What Abe said, too.

jazzdelmar
09-11-2010, 12:07 PM

Yes to Spy's question.

Dower scores uglier than Batista did, but he can put up numbers quickly. Batista was, as someone said, artful. What Abe said, too.

praise the lord!!!!! we are saved. and by a san diegan :)

thespywhozaggedme
09-11-2010, 02:49 PM

Yes to Spy's question.

I was just funnin' ya; you know that.:D P.S. Your answer is music to my ears.

cggonzaga
09-11-2010, 03:30 PM
What does it matter spy? I think its needless to say he's good enough to start. The staff wasn't bringing in a juco point guard to sit and learn. Whether or not he starts I personally believe he'll get plenty of playing time. I know its cliche but it doesn't matter who starts rather who finishes.

Ezag
09-11-2010, 04:16 PM
Does this mean Carter gets the nod to start above Goodson, or is this still Goodson's team to run? Also is Sam that good that he will be more of a force than Sacre both on Offensive and defensive side? Or is he someone who will fill in nice when Sacre's taking a break or in foul trouble. Not sure what Few's mindset is about these players especially if they can potentially be better than the current starters.

RenoZag
09-11-2010, 04:28 PM
I think it means the level of competition in practice will be high; I also believe the players who start will be the ones who earn it. It's a new season and a new edition of the Zags.

Looking forward to November !

DADoZAG
09-12-2010, 08:36 AM
I think it means the level of competition in practice will be high; I also believe the players who start will be the ones who earn it. It's a new season and a new edition of the Zags.

Looking forward to November !

Absolutely.

Of course there are differences, but this seems somewhat similar to the Gray/Downs situation, doesn't it?

Go ZAGS!

jazzdelmar
09-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Absolutely.

Of course there are differences, but this seems somewhat similar to the Gray/Downs situation, doesn't it?

Go ZAGS!

gray and downs were both high quality D1 talents....BIG diff.....

DADoZAG
09-12-2010, 09:30 AM
gray and downs were both high quality D1 talents....BIG diff.....

And there are more. Perhaps others might want to spend the time to list them.

I guess the point refuting recent sentiment about the regidity of Few in regard to rewarding those that show success with playing time and even time at the tipoff wasn't as obvious as I thought.

Look, anyone who reads this board knows that I am a fan of Meech. But if he is unable to get a hold of what's missing in his game, and there's a better option, Few will see it.

Meaning we will see it.

Go ZAGS!

zaguarxj
09-14-2010, 10:19 AM

Last year, there were some rumblings on this board that Gray's offensive production was hurt because he was expending so much energy as the team's defensive stopper. Could Keita take some of the defensive burden from Gray, so he can have the energy to find and make his shot? There was some talk that Keita is a good defender.

BobZag
09-14-2010, 10:53 AM
Last year, there were some rumblings on this board that Gray's offensive production was hurt because he was expending so much energy as the team's defensive stopper. Could Keita take some of the defensive burden from Gray, so he can have the energy to find and make his shot? There was some talk that Keita is a good defender.

Bingo.

Colbyspapa
09-14-2010, 11:55 AM
I think this is very exciting. Not only will this add offense to the PG position it will elevate Meech's game with the competition at practice.

I still think Meech starts the season as our starter. It takes a while for a guard to learn the offense and very few have walked in as first year players and been able to run the point. Even Blake Stepp was a 2 guard until DDD broke his finger.

Dickau is the only one I can think of who ran the PG position from day one on campus during Coach Few's tenure.

I'm sure I'm missing someone and they will be listed down below by someone with a better memory than I.

23dpg
09-14-2010, 11:57 AM
Dickau is the only one I can think of who ran the PG position from day one on campus during Coach Few's tenure.

Remember, Dickau had a full year to practice with the team before he put on a Zag uniform.

MickMick
09-14-2010, 05:43 PM
Heck....schools are playing 18 year old freshman all the time. Carter isn't an 18 year old frosh.

If a kid can play...........

ZagsGoZags
09-14-2010, 10:58 PM
Meech and Sacre will start at least for the first five to ten games, and maybe more
I think this, even if they are outplayed in practice by their replacements

I think Few puts weight on experience, loyalty, tradition, and knowing the system to the degree that a player with greater ability to help the team win might still wait awhile before he becomes the starter

VaBeachZAG
09-15-2010, 05:12 AM
Look, I am totally indeferent as to whether Meech or Carter start for the team. To me there is no debate, Few will start the guy who is best for the team (i.e., gives the team the best chance to win). Experience, loyalty, and tradition are nice buzz words to throw around, but I think they can be over emphasized in the Meech-Carter discussion. In the case of these two, it would seem to me a wash with regard to loyalty (how can anyone assert Meech has greater loyalty to the program than Carter). As to tradition, I don't know how that even factors into the decision as to who starts at the point. Lastly, as to experience, both guys have solid experience running a team (of course Meech has a year as a starter at the D1 level that Carter can't match). On balance, the one and only factor governing who should start, in my opinion, is who can run the team most effectively at the point. If it's Meech, fine. If it's Carter, fine.

roxdoc
09-15-2010, 07:30 AM
I think when the term loyalty is used it is referring to Coach Few's loyalty to established players, not the players for the school/coach. It seems to me that our coach traditionally favors experience over ability a little more than I might. Early on I think Meech will start, regardless of what happens in practice. Meech has "been there and done that". Carter's impact as a sub in a game situation could change things, perhaps even sooner than later.

jazzdelmar
09-15-2010, 08:49 AM
barring an off season metamorphosis, the zags success this yr will be in inverse proportion to the amt of mins meech plays.

Robzagnut
09-15-2010, 09:00 AM
Look, I am totally indeferent as to whether Meech or Carter start for the team.

Not me.

If it's Meech, it's a bad sign that Carter isn't good enough to start. GU then plays 4 on 5 on the offensive end and the chances of getting to the Sweet 16 are slim.

If it's Carter, then all the pieces have fallen into place. Meech supplies a defensive spark off the bench. The sky is the limit depending on who they play in the tourney and the matchups.

jazzdelmar
09-15-2010, 09:12 AM
Not me.

If it's Meech, it's a bad sign that Carter isn't good enough to start. GU then plays 4 on 5 on the offensive end and the chances of getting to the Sweet 16 are slim.

If it's Carter, then all the pieces have fallen into place. Meech supplies a defensive spark off the bench. The sky is the limit depending on who they play in the tourney and the matchups.

a big plus one

cjm720
09-15-2010, 09:13 AM
barring an off season metamorphosis, the zags success this yr will be in inverse proportion to the amt of mins meech plays.

So if he doesn't play, we could win the National Championship? Dude, we know your opinion let it go for crying out loud...don't know how many ways you can say it and throw Meech under the bus. Give him a break.

GUZagDenver
09-15-2010, 09:52 AM
So if he doesn't play, we could win the National Championship? Dude, we know your opinion let it go for crying out loud...don't know how many ways you can say it and throw Meech under the bus. Give him a break.

Whatever, it's worth pounding it into the ground. Meech was BRUTAL last year.

sonuvazag
09-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Rule of thumb: by post 50 in any mbb thread, meech will be bashed.

BroncoZAG615
09-15-2010, 10:01 AM

We landed on the moon!

http://images.dailyfill.com/25ca191e6ea048a2_b5ec006e0865410d/o/moon.jpg

BobZag
09-15-2010, 10:10 AM

The only things worth pounding into the ground are fence posts and well drills, and even that is debatable.

MDABE80
09-15-2010, 10:25 AM
Maybe Meech will be better. He's got the speed and defense. Seriously the only glaring problem is his shooting. Who's to say he didn't shoot 700 balls/day this past 5 months and he'll be improved. I don't see him as a quitter. He tough . He knows his difficiencies. He might work his tail off and improve. Let's see what happens.

Carter might be the answer....just not sure he's ready for the PG spot yet. Further though, if we need "quick", Meech fits well. If a planned slower paced game is desired...with a great shooting PG, Carter might fit better. It'll take some time to see what happens. Meech might yet surprise if he's done the work.

titopoet
09-15-2010, 12:19 PM
The only things worth pounding into the ground are fence posts and well drills, and even that is debatable.

Hey, Bob how did you know I just put in a fence. New construction can be a pain.

wiszag
09-15-2010, 12:38 PM
I really hope Meech doesn't read this board but if he does, I sure hope it motivates him. I think as adults its a bit juvenile that some of us bash a player every single time a thread migrates to Meech's performance last year. Its been said enough, we get it, let's move on.

ZagsGoZags
09-15-2010, 12:53 PM
to VaBeachZag

zagsgozags said: "Meech and Sacre will start at least for the first five to ten games, and maybe more. I think this, even if they are outplayed in practice by their replacements. I think Few puts weight on experience, loyalty, tradition, and knowing the system to the degree that a player with greater ability to help the team win might still wait awhile before he becomes the starter"

By "tradition" I was not very clear. I meant that in my perception it seems to be Few's tradition to play starters and last year's players ahead of new players who might be better (ability to get the team wins) early each Fall. He brings the young talent in quite a bit, and if they repeatedly show dominating talent, they are moved up quickly, and then start.

The exceptions to this that I remember is Dickau and Elias Harris -- if my memory is correct they came in new and started immediately. There may be others.

So, if Carter has better talent than Meech, I predict Few will start Meech anyway in the first several games. If Carter comes in and consistently dominates, he will get more minutes than Meech, but Meech will keep starting. Then after those five to ten games, if Few sees Carter as MUCH more skillful than Meech, I would expect Carter to start.

Zag79
09-15-2010, 09:55 PM
Maybe Meech will be better. He's got the speed and defense. Seriously the only glaring problem is his shooting. Who's to say he didn't shoot 700 balls/day this past 5 months and he'll be improved. I don't see him as a quitter. He tough . He knows his difficiencies. He might work his tail off and improve. Let's see what happens.

thank you! meech played just fine for his minutes and the job asked of him by few last year. his shooting wasnt where you would want it to be, but thats something you can improve on. i would hope that a junior meech running the team will be better than last years version, but that goes for every player. and if carter is better and gets the nod so be it, just win! im sure even meech would agree, give it a break already. hard to prove much when your playing behind pargo and then bouldin, his time is now. my money is on meech to start all year, and play quite well.

2wiceright
09-15-2010, 10:30 PM
+1
Could not have said it any better myself! :agreed: :agreed:

jazzdelmar
11-06-2010, 07:10 AM
huh?

zaguarxj
11-06-2010, 07:55 AM
There's no "r" in Mönninghoff. I've been reading that wrong for months.

cjm720
11-06-2010, 09:28 AM
Carter will take a little time...defensive lapses, out of position and got burned a couple times, hesitant on offense...once his role is defined, I expect to see a nice contributor.

Juskickenit2
11-06-2010, 10:52 AM
His drives are beautiful, he just needs to drive and dish, then his going to be very good this year. Plus continue to make free throws.

MDABE80
11-06-2010, 11:26 AM
Meech looks better. More relaxed. Truth is: Carter will take quit a while. Meech and David are our only points right now. I do hope I'm wrong but last night really dampened my enthusiasm for other PGs. It's an exhibition...and he's new..I know those things...we'll see. He'll (Carter) spell Meech as I do think Goodson has this job wrapped up unless someone makes big strides.

Serious games coming up in only 2 weeks. SDS will chew us up if we played like last night. Few must be beside himself. Much much work to do at every position.

cggonzaga
11-06-2010, 01:29 PM
Hahahaha, seriously Abe?

For one, how do you name David as one of the point guards. No offense to David but if last night was any indication of the kind of player he'll be then he won't see the court at Gonzaga for the next 3 years. What about last night convinced you he was a future point guard for us? Granted I believe Stockton is better than he showed last night but he isn't moving ahead of Meech or Carter anytime soon.

Second, your basing an exhibition game without our best player (Harris) and a rotation that resembled an intramural game as reason for concern against SDSU who we don't even play until the 3rd game of the season? I actually think the staff had some questions answered last night, i.e. Meech's play at point and Gray's stepping into the role of senior leader, not to mention our unbelievable depth in the frontcourt.

Everyone has a right to an opinion but I don't get where the hell you're coming from half the time.

MickMick
11-06-2010, 01:58 PM
I think it is clear that a few questions were answered.

Few has got to find substantial minutes for Dower. In my opinion, probably equal to or more than the other bigs not named Harris. Goodson looks like the superior point guard at the moment. The Zags need to work inside out, but not necessarily through Sacre every time down the court. And finally, the Zags can go into an offense funk if Gray isn't on the court.

The Zags need to tighten it up on defense and take care of the ball a little better. What team doesn't after the first game?

ZagsObserver
11-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Cggonzaga - You said that the staff likely answered some questions last night, one being that Meech was capable at the point. Not to split hairs, but there is no way the coaching staff would have resolved such an issue after an exhibition game against lowly S.O.

cggonzaga
11-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Compared to going into the game worrying about the point guard play, Meech eased some of that last night. Regardless of the competition, Meech stepped up and dominated at the point. There were opportunities for a couple other guys to step up, against inferior competition, that didn't.

Mantua
11-06-2010, 03:22 PM
It's going to be a few weeks before we know if anyone can lead half-court offense. Heister and Co. seemed to suggest that we would not have a half-court game this season and would have to rely on the transition game. Really, are things that dire already? I am looking forward to see performance against serious competition. I'm not willing to write off our guard play after one exhibition game.

DixieZag
11-06-2010, 03:55 PM
About the only thing that I saw that might be worth noting, is that Kelly O. really looks comfortable and is looking to score more and finding ways to do it. Meech looked comfortable also, I dearly hope that he surprises and plays up to his abilities (though there is no way to tell playing an NAIA school) - he did make a three.

There is a lot of work to be done over the next two weeks. I would expect the starting 5, plus 3 - at most during the beginning of the year. Oh and uh, it'd be great if Harris' shoulder felt fine and was healed.

MDABE80
11-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Nope...it's kinda what I thought would happen. Exhibition or not, Meech clearly did better than last year's "meech". Hope he continues to improve. I like the kid. He's tough. Not sure Carter can or cannot do the job after one exhibition game., More time is needed.

Sacre has to keep the ball up higher. He needs to dominate. He needs to be viscious enough to keep people away from him.

More will be revealed.... the nucleus of the team is set.
Monninghoff might add much. Dower will for sure! Manny's always reliable...superior shooting mechanics. Manny will be a great one.

Elias will imrpove everything. He'll make everything better.

ZagDaddy
11-06-2010, 06:24 PM
More will be revealed.... the nucleus of the team is set.
Monninghoff might add much. Dower will for sure! Manny's always reliable...superior shooting mechanics. Manny will be a great one.

I hesitate to conclude too much from one exhibition game that wasn't against national level competition. That being said, I think that Sam will have the biggest effect on this year's team and Kelly will be the primary beneficiary.

I don't know if he will put up many points against better players but what he does do is give us five more fouls to give from the front court.

Last season, (and the jury's out as to whether this holds true this year) but Rob was frequently on the bench with foul trouble which forced Kelly to play the 5 spot more than he should. Sam's 5 fouls to give will enable Kelly to play more at the 4 as well as the 3 which will cause some major match up problems for many opponents.

This does not look like a typical guard dominating Zag team to me. It's major strength seems to be the front court. I won't be surprised to see that Kelly makes the biggest jump this year.

ZagsGoZags
11-07-2010, 12:49 AM

I disagree.
J Batista was a thing of beauty
as somebody mentioned before, he was smooth, and used his body to create space for his shots

MickMick
11-07-2010, 06:11 AM

I disagree.
J Batista was a thing of beauty
as somebody mentioned before, he was smooth, and used his body to create space for his shots

Earlier in this thread, I wrote I would need a full season of high productivity from Dower before I would begin to compare him to Batista.

I'm about to "flip flop" like a bad politician. I think I have seen enough.

Two points:

1) Who cares about the elegance of a score? The bottom line is that it is a score. They all count the same.

2) JP was very consistent. Not enough sample size from Dower to call him consistent yet, but I have a feeling he will be. JP Batista put up a lot of points with another player (Morrison) calling for the ball. In Dower's case, it is Dower calling for the ball :).

JP came in as a JUCO junior. He had two years to build his legacy. Obviously, he made the most of his limited time here to do so. Our best memorys of Batista are of his senior campaign. Dower is a redhsirt freshman. The Zags have him for four years with Donny Daniels coaching him up. Ponder that a moment. Mentally project Dower's senior season for fair comparison to JP Batista.

Dower might even end up being....gasp...better.

FuManShoes
11-07-2010, 08:01 AM
It's only a theory but I think Few sees Meech as a change-of-pace guard, or would prefer that role for him rather than the every-down back given Meech's skill set. Of course there is not much to be read into Meech not starting an exhibition game. More telling was Meech's comment that Few told him he wanted to see how he did coming off the bench. Was that just to light a fire or a hint of things to come? The Zags have enough weapons to get off to a fast start without Meech, then you insert him when opponents are getting a bit gassed, you catch them off guard and Meech runs circles around them. It seems like a good strategy to me if it's going to play to Meech's strengths. We'll see if it's what happens as the year goes on.

bballbeachbum
11-07-2010, 09:09 AM
Carter seemed a little nervous, as others have noted, but the team functioned with him out there. can't really tell too much, but he hit a 3 after missing earlier attempts, that shows a little something to me. he's got to get comfortable and adapt himself from being the man to being one of the men and STILL be himself and express himself. players do it all the time, so can he, and the GU staff has some good history incorporating transfers into real contributors

Saxon_zag
11-07-2010, 11:38 AM
I'm excited to see what Few will do with the PG spot as far as minutes go. That being said I think it should be clear to most that David Stockton is still tiny and not ready to contribute to a division 1 program. He's a legacy, we know the reason he is on the team.

RenoZag
11-07-2010, 12:09 PM
I like our chances on the glass this year.

BobZag
02-21-2011, 09:26 AM
I like our chances on the glass this year.

Me too.

MDABE80
02-21-2011, 10:12 AM
I'm excited to see what Few will do with the PG spot as far as minutes go. That being said I think it should be clear to most that David Stockton is still tiny and not ready to contribute to a division 1 program. He's a legacy, we know the reason he is on the team.

Yep...we sure do. Amazing how the worm turns as the season bears on. Does anyone still have this opinion?

JAGzag
02-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Do you guys really keep these old posts around, only to bring them up to upstage someone ... months after the fact? Kinda pathetic really.

DADoZAG
02-21-2011, 10:45 AM
Do you guys really keep these old posts around, only to bring them up to upstage someone ... months after the fact? Kinda pathetic really.

I think it's rather funny.

BZ is such a scoundrel!

Go ZAGS! Beat St. Mary’s!

Kong-Kool-Aid
02-21-2011, 11:05 AM

What's wrong with a little "I Told You So"?

Saxon_zag
02-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Yep...we sure do. Amazing how the worm turns as the season bears on. Does anyone still have this opinion?

When your wrong your wrong,and I've already said Im eating crow over David! I just wasn't one of the people pooping my pants when he hit a 3 in an exhibition or something

Also it doesn't change the fact of why david is on the team in the first place, we don't take many chances with 130 pound point guards not named stockton

MDABE80
02-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Abe<----scoundrel, but in a good way;)

gamagin
02-21-2011, 11:37 AM
When your wrong your wrong,and I've already said Im eating crow over David! I just wasn't one of the people pooping my pants when he hit a 3 in an exhibition or something

Also it doesn't change the fact of why david is on the team in the first place, we don't take many chances with 130 pound point guards not named stockton

first five words. now your crow has poop all over it.

Saxon_zag
02-21-2011, 11:41 AM
first five words. now your crow has poop all over it.

Lol it's true that some people wanted this kid to be the next great zag story from the second he stepped on campus because of his last name. He's awesome, fun to watch and just amazing vision but I had to actually see that with my own eyes.