PDA

View Full Version : Mikan Drillís analysis of Robert, Kelly and Elias

TwoCatsOne
09-06-2010, 10:23 AM
I havenít seen this posted yet but here is the Mikan Drillís analysis of Robert, Kelly and Elias. It covers their performance during the FIBA tournament. I thought it very informative. There is lots of praise for Kelly.

Robert: http://tlorc.wordpress.com/2010/08/31/fiba-update-robert-sacre/
Elias: http://tlorc.wordpress.com/2010/08/15/summer-scouting-series-elias-harris/
Kelly: http://tlorc.wordpress.com/2010/09/04/fiba-update-kelly-olynyk/

Mods: Please delete if this is redundant.

BobZag
09-06-2010, 10:34 AM
Is this like vampired.net?

ZagNative
09-06-2010, 10:47 AM
Thanks for posting, TwoCatsOne! I'd love to hear what the WOMs here on guboards think of his analyses. The review of Elias game came before FIBA, unfortunately.

I liked this from the conclusion of the review of Kelly's game:

With Sacre, Harris and Olynyk, Gonzaga may have the best frontline in all of college basketball and this competition will be quite the experience for the three of them.

JPtheBeasta
09-06-2010, 11:02 AM
If he can incorporate a shot fake and drive to the basket, he could become a useful offensive player and see a much bigger role for Gonzaga this year

That seemed to be his go-to move last year when he caught the ball on the perimeter...

MDABE80
09-06-2010, 01:25 PM
If one reads the reports, it's nearly inconceivable that Gozaga might have the best frontline in college basketball.
Robert needs plenty of work. Donny will be giving him that. Casey needs to return to show him how a seriously competetive big man works. All good potential only half unrealized right now.

Elias also didn't do much in the FIBA's. No doubt Elias is a great college player and we know that. Whether he does enough work to make the jump is unknown. Given his work ethics, I think he needs more years in college to work out the bugs and learn to go to the right side..not 80% left as the writer indicates. Half his game is being ignored....ie the right side game. He does have the temperment to be a great player. If he can combine that with advanced skills, he's a top 10 college player.

Kelly did better and better. A kid with his size should get better if he has the skills...which, it seems, are developing quickly. Looking forward to his development this upcoming season.

Thanks much to Cat for posting these thoughts and the videos. Very good methodology by the writer.

cggonzaga
09-06-2010, 01:33 PM
This is easily one of the best frontcourts in all of college basketball. Didn't read the report so don't know if it mentioned Dower who will be a huge contributor as well. Can't wait for the season to start. Hopefully Manny and Meech/Carter solidify the backcourt.

maynard g krebs
09-06-2010, 03:42 PM
Hard to say without watching a bunch of film, but Elias going left all the time could be the result of defenders overplaying him to his strong side. Taking what the defense gives him. All good players can go to their dominant side; it's going to one's weak side that's the problem for most. This may or may not be a negative- seems like it's a negative only if he's going left out of habit and forcing it when it's not there.

titopoet
09-06-2010, 04:09 PM
I thought it was very good analysis. Good stuff on three young players. I wonder how Donny will help the three as the continue to develop.

SunDevilGolfZag
09-06-2010, 04:47 PM
I realize this is called a "Mikan" analysis, but actually looks kind of like the equivalent of a high school or college term paper project for a basketball coaching class. Anyone with some basketball knowledge can analyze a few sample plays. Interesting video/commentary for what it's worth.

CDC84
09-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Interesting reading. The Elias Harris write up is spot on.

GoZags
09-06-2010, 06:32 PM
The three Zags outlined here (Kelly, Elias, Rob) have a total of 8 years of eligibility left between them. Pretty impressive, in my opinion.

dim4sum
09-07-2010, 06:55 PM
The report on Kelly, Elias and Sacre was well done. Th Mikan drill is a drill created by George Mikan, involving rebounding and put backs. Once with the left hand, once with the right hand. So the name Mikan Drill was just a psuedonym.
Does anyone know who actually wrote the critique on the three Zags????
It was very knowledgeable--hope, especially, Rob reads it. He can learn from it.