PDA

View Full Version : From ESPN on Scheduling

Once and Future Zag
09-02-2010, 12:51 PM
Link (http://espn.go.com/ncf/notebook/_/page/gamedayKickoff101/week-1-preview)

While I recognize the Broncos' scheduling difficulties, I'd contend they should be more willing to adopt the old Bobby Bowden/current Gonzaga basketball scheduling model and not worry about getting home-and-home agreements.

Just go play. Anywhere. Anytime.

Kiddwell
09-02-2010, 04:21 PM
Not so sure this is the "current" Gonzaga scheduling philosophy. We can be pickier now, insisting on home-and-home's (or, at minimum, home areas and home areas).

:]

Rangerzag
09-02-2010, 04:38 PM
It is a nice reputation to have, though.

Once and Future Zag
09-02-2010, 08:36 PM
Then later today I saw the official schedule.

We play 18 of 32 games (before the WCC tourney) in Spokane.

Only one "road trip" of three games or more consecutive road games, and 2 of those 3 games are in Washington.

A "home stretch" from 12/16 to 2/05 where 10 out of 15 games are in Spokane.

And... only 1 Spokane game at the Arena - all the rest at K2.

All those years of being the NCAA"s road warriors are finally paying off.

zagzilla
09-03-2010, 10:34 AM
From the same article....

"The Broncos can beat anybody, but at some point rankings evaluations should be based on this: Who did you play? Who did you beat?

This analogy is the best I can think of: Even in years when I believe Gonzaga can make the Final Four or win the national championship, it's likely I'd believe the Bulldogs' West Coast Conference schedule would weigh down their résumé enough to keep them from getting a 1-seed or 2-seed to get there."

BYU addition should help us get more respect and hopefully better seeding. As we have talked about before, the seed you get and your path through the bracket is disproportionately impactful on how your results are graded.. Facing a #1 seed in the sweet 16 (again) is a sure way to get dinged (unfairly) for underachieving.