PDA

View Full Version : Olynyk Interview from FIBA

zagdad
09-01-2010, 10:34 PM
IZMIR (FIBA World Championship) - Kelly Olynyk and Andrew Albicy are the most unlikely of buddies.

One is nearly seven feet tall, the other stands just 178cm. One is from Canada, the other from France. One speaks English and just a little French, the other French with just a little English.

But what Olynyk and Albicy have in common is they are young stars making an impact the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey, and they both captained their countries in New Zealand last year at the FIBA U19 World Championship.

From this, a friendship has developed. “I talked to him a bunch when he got here to Turkey, he’s a great guy and he played really well against Spain, he was scoring and making plays so I am real happy for him,” Olynyk said about the pint sized Albicy.

Albicy is also full of respect for his fellow young gun. “I like him as a player. He is very tall but also very mobile, he is a really good player.”

As you could imagine, neither of them could have imagined representing their countries at a men’s world championship so soon. “I didn’t expect that at all,” Olynyk said. “Long may it continue,” Albicy added.

They caught up with Paulo Kennedy from www.fiba.com to talk all about it, and you can see the full story on FIBA TV.

http://www.fibatv.com/page/Video/0,,12805~1644230,00.html?tabb=interviews&pnumber=1

Reborn
09-02-2010, 11:33 AM
A very nice read that shows that I, and others, are not dreaming. There are others who see what we see. But what would this Board be like if it didn't have doubters.

former1dog
09-02-2010, 12:00 PM
What is Albicy's status? I he a Euro Pro?

kitzbuel
09-02-2010, 01:23 PM
He plays Pro A, but I could not find anything specific on his amateur status in the quick 30 sec search I did here at work.

SageOfZagville
09-02-2010, 03:10 PM
IZMIR, Turkey (AP)—Spain finished Group D play at the basketball world championship with consecutive strong games, routing winless Canada 89-67 Thursday.

The defending champions started slowly but won their final two games by a total of 56 points. Spain will finish as either the six-nation group’s second- or third-seeded team going into the knockout rounds. The Spanish lost to France in the first game.

“This game was very important for us,” Spain forward Alex Mumbru said.

Rudy Fernandez(notes) and Fran Vasquez each had 19 points, while 19-year-old Ricky Rubio(notes) had eight points and eight assists. Nineteen-year-old Kelly Olynyk led Canada with 14 points, and Jevohn Shepherd had 12.

Spain jumped out to a 12-2 lead by making nine-of-14 field goal attempts in the first quarter. Rubio had four assists in the quarter.

Spain led 28-17 heading into the second, but Canada closed it to 40-37 after point guard Jermaine Anderson’s jumper with 50 seconds to go until halftime.

On its next possession, however, Fernandez blocked a Canadian shot into the hands of Mumbru, who sent an arcing full-court pass to Sergio Llull(notes). The guard then tipped the ball to Fernandez for a layup and a 42-37 Spanish halftime lead.

Canada missed 14 of 17 shots in the third quarter as it fell behind 63-48 going into the fourth.

“Our inexperience kind of hurt us,” said Anderson, who like the rest of the team played in his first major world championship. “We lost most of our games late or in the fourth quarter.”

Vasquez made all nine of his field goal attempts, blocked four shots and helped Spain to a 49-28 advantage in rebounds.

SageOfZagville
09-02-2010, 03:17 PM
Kelly was 7 for 9 shooting free throws. Did anyone watch the game to see if he was gettig fouled with his back to the basket, or on dribble drives?

ridgebackzag
09-02-2010, 03:35 PM
Kelly was 7 for 9 shooting free throws. Did anyone watch the game to see if he was gettig fouled with his back to the basket, or on dribble drives?

I saw the final quarter and he was very aggressive when being fouled, on the dribble drive. He managed to get two-handed stuffed by a pretty much flat-footed Fran Vazquez (6'10") which wasn't admirable tho. All in all, Kelly was easily the most assertive player on the floor. He took plenty advantage of his time on the floor today.

stretch
09-03-2010, 11:02 PM
I saw the final quarter and he was very aggressive when being fouled, on the dribble drive. He managed to get two-handed stuffed by a pretty much flat-footed Fran Vazquez (6'10") which wasn't admirable tho. All in all, Kelly was easily the most assertive player on the floor. He took plenty advantage of his time on the floor today.

Vasquez is a a NBA first round draft choice and a very athletic player by Euro standards. Sacre was caught napping in the second half on a back door alley oop by Vasquez, nicely assisted by Rubio.

jazzdelmar
09-04-2010, 03:30 AM
what a great young man...we are fortunate to have him

RenoZag
09-23-2010, 06:24 PM
GU Bulletin in today's edition has an article about the Zags' who participated in the FIBA Tourney

http://www.gonzagabulletin.com/from-fiba-back-to-few-1.1641914

"It was a great experience to play with NBA guys and top guys in Europe, just big names that everyone knows," Olynyk said. "It's really something you can take away and remember for a long time."

It would seem easy for 19-to-21-year-old men to be intimidated matching up against the likes of NBA players Rudy Fernandez, Ricky Rubio and Marc Gasol, but Sacre and Olynyk made a concerted effort to stay mentally tough.

"You can't be really intimidated, you've just got to go in and play basketball. It's all in your mind, just go play hard and then everything will basically better you," Sacre said.

ZagsGoZags
09-29-2010, 05:45 PM
Does anyone know (remember) how much meat Kelly put on his bones since the last official roster 12 months ago? At 238 I would not be surprised to see his rebounding increase, as well as possibly play the 4,5 and even sometimes the 3. He is smooth enough for the three I think. Gee, to go from guard to 7'0" and nearly 240 pounds is a big, fast, transition. Twin towers.