PDA

View Full Version : An article that could be relevent to Pangos D1 choice

OZZY
08-31-2010, 04:50 PM
For those interested in top Canadian players being attracted to NCAA D1 programs........

Here is a link to a very interesting article about Canadian basketball development. A contact of mine advised me of it and it is relevant to what I have said in the past about University choice for Canadian players (GU board posters should read it). I believe that The Canadian national team coaching staff might not have been that impressed with Wiltjer's decision if you read between the lines. It also might bode well for GU and future Canadian D1 aspirants.

“What has happened in the past is some guys and gals have gone south to play in the NCAA and they haven’t really developed their games between 18 and 22,”

There are some other interesting quotes from the most senior people in Canada Basketball (Parish and Gherardini).

http://www.torontosun.com/sports/basketball/2010/08/30/15192386.html

kitzbuel
08-31-2010, 05:26 PM
I think having 3 GU starters playing in the World Championships speaks volumes to the respect that national coaches have Coach Few. That relationship may well turn out to be better than an AAU pipeline.

1973Zag
09-01-2010, 05:01 AM
somewhat O.T., but anyone have any insight as to the Texas/Canada connection? they seem to always get some of the Elite from Canada.I wonder if the Canadian coaches are as pleased with the Texas player development as they are with what we are producing???

CanadianZagFan
09-01-2010, 06:37 AM
somewhat O.T., but anyone have any insight as to the Texas/Canada connection? they seem to always get some of the Elite from Canada.I wonder if the Canadian coaches are as pleased with the Texas player development as they are with what we are producing???

I think this is a very new development as this will be the first year for Thompson and Joseph on the Texas roster, I don't recall a history of Canadian players there.

jazzdelmar
09-01-2010, 06:43 AM
what makes u think they arent painting GU w the same brush? not exactly any kudos to GU's work, and Sacre sure hasnt blown up.

kitzbuel
09-01-2010, 06:57 AM
what makes u think they arent painting GU w the same brush? not exactly any kudos to GU's work, and Sacre sure hasnt blown up.

First, I am an optimist. Second, the pattern described of players languishing on the bench does not fit at GU. Olynyk, Sacre, Arop (and even Kong) do not want for playing time.

WeSayZed
09-01-2010, 07:19 AM
First, I am an optimist. Second, the pattern described of players languishing on the bench does not fit at GU. Olynyk, Sacre, Arop (and even Kong) do not want for playing time.
Exactly. W.r.t. this summer, Sacre and Olynyk are college kids and you wouldn’t expect them to be major contributors on a team full of professional men. I think the fact that they’re both on the senior men’s team says a lot about how happy the Canadian national team is with Gonzaga’s program. And this experience will in turn pay off for Gonzaga. We’ll be getting 3 players back who spent their summer playing with and against very good professional players. Here’s an article where Kelly talks about some of the things he’s learning this summer.

“You pick up things (watching) but you don’t realize the pace of the game or the speed of the game or how physical it is,” said Olynyk, who played 19 minutes against France, hit four of five field goals, made his only three-pointer and grabbed two rebounds. “That’s a big thing with my learning curve that I discovered (Tuesday): just how important everything is, how much every possession means.”

But as Rautins said, it wasn’t as if Olynyk was a pacifist in his first extended run of the tournament. He was in the fray under the basket trying to get rebounds, he set screens and made hard cuts, he grabbed huge rebounds at both ends in the final two minutes of an aborted Canada rally.

He just has a knack for knowing what to do.

“I think it’s instinctual,” said Olynyk, the son of former University of Toronto coach Ken Olynyk. “But if you have a high basketball IQ, you’re going to be able to make plays. And sometimes making a play is setting a flare screen for a shooter, I mean a play doesn’t have to be making a basket or getting an assist, it can be a flare screen, it can maybe be a rebound, it can be a tipped pass, it can be anything like that.”

Those in the Canada Basketball program know that Olynyk is going to be a part of the next wave and his play Tuesday would indicate his role will be expanded immediately. It is interesting that he played nearly half the game while veteran Olu Famutimi didn’t get off the bench, Jermaine Bucknor played only 10 minutes and Jevohn Shepherd just 13. “It’s great for us to have somebody to come in and give us a spark off the bench,” said Canada’s Levon Kendall. “It shows a lot of character for a guy his age to come in and play with no fear at this level. In these tournaments, you need guys to do that when you have so many games and certain things happen with different matchups and it’ll be good if he can do that on a consistent basis.”
http://www.thestar.com/sports/basketball/article/854898--canada-s-kelly-olynyk-19-stars-in-loss-to-france-at-world-hoops

sanders
09-01-2010, 08:12 AM
Very interesting article. Thanks for posting it, Ozzy.

I was surprised to see Kendall grouped in with Shepherd re lack of development in college. Their situations were so different - Kendall played a lot (he was a starter by the end of his soph year), appeared to be valued, and was coached by two very respected and successful coaches in Howland and Dixon. Shepherd never got a meaningful chance to play at Michigan, and Tommy Amaker has had little to no success as a head coach.

More importantly, Kendall seemed to develop at Pitt (I admit I didn't watch many Pitt games, but from what I did see, Kendall was a better player as a jnr and senior than as a freshman or soph). In contrast, Shepherd had the deer in the headlights look his entire time at Michigan.

Further, Shepherd's post-college career suggests that he is better than his Michigan time would indicate, whereas Kendall's does not (which is not a knock on Kendall's successful pro career, but a testament to his college career).

Maybe those of you who followed Kendall's HS and college careers more closely can comment.

Re the experience of Canadian kids at different schools, I think every kid is different. Just because PMac, Davis and Kong transferred from GU doesn't mean that Sacre, Arop, or Olynyk will not have successful experiences at GU, and neither set of experiences probably has much bearing on whether Cdns being recruited now will come to GU, or whether Basketball Canada is going to select a guy for the national team.

cbbfanatic
09-01-2010, 08:44 AM

the connection is Ro Russell - he's been described as being Canada's WWW, but without as dirty a reputation.

Player
09-01-2010, 09:28 AM
the connection is Ro Russell - he's been described as being Canada's WWW, but without as dirty a reputation.

...and Findlay Prep.
Ontario basketball produces many talented bball players....Tristan, Corey, Devoe, etc. NCAA is finally taking notice. A number of scouts/coaches visit the GTA and now are tapping into the Windsor - London area. Ottawa area, GTA, London, Windsor etc have got loads of male female talent.