PDA

View Full Version : National Title

MickMick
08-30-2010, 07:29 PM
It took coach K 16 years. It took John Wooden 14 years. Calapari has never won one.

How would you put this in perspective with Mark Few?

Thoughts?

CaliforniaZaggin'
08-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Heck, Coach Cal hasn't officially even been to a Final Four.

ZagLawGrad
08-30-2010, 07:58 PM
Awful truth is that Coach C will be there before Coach Few. And probably more than just once.

willandi
08-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Awful truth is that Coach C will be there before Coach Few. And probably more than just once.
Assuming the NCAA doesn't come down on Calipari before that happens...or vacates them after it does.

NYCZAG
08-30-2010, 09:04 PM
UMASS went to Final Four under CAL-

webspinnre
08-30-2010, 09:09 PM
UMASS went to Final Four under CAL-

Not according to the record books he didn't. That one was also vacated.

Martin Centre Mad Man
08-31-2010, 04:41 AM
Coach Few will get a Final Four at some point and probably more than one.

National Titles are a lot harder to come by. If Coach Few never brings one to GU, I don't think it will in any way diminish the amazing program the university has built over the past twenty years.

zag67
08-31-2010, 06:48 AM
I think that making it to the final four and winning a national championship might be harder for Cal than you think. With as many one and done players as he gets, there is no flow and chemistry built. They will win lots of games, but when it gets near the end and there is a close one, will they have the right mix to make it happen. Just an opinion, but I would rather have our program. We win games with team work and our coaches build players and men to go out into the workplace.

Reborn
08-31-2010, 07:01 AM
I agree that it takes time. Mark Few is generally accepted in the basketball world as a GREAT coach, and I believe he will get a national championship and Final 4's. I think he's on the right path, and I think that he and his coaching staff know it. I think it's important to recognize that it doee take superior talent in order to do it, and I think Gonzaga's recruiting program is getting better and better all the time. Daniels will help. I think he may have been the biggest catch of them all during the off-season.

bartruff1
08-31-2010, 07:57 AM
Calipari didn't get 30+ million to win the conference...I would not be surprised if in the next ten years, Kentucky isn't in 6 FFs and doesn't win 2 or 3 National Championships....assuming they can stay out of trouble...the kind of kids you need to do that will have a tendency to make bad choices and you cannot be with them 24/7 . Love him or hate him, he knows how to win and he will.......and I will add, I wouldn't trade Mark and his program for anyone in the country..Gonzaga really is America's team and it has fans outside the region .....it will be fun to watch...

CDC84
08-31-2010, 08:23 AM
I think that making it to the final four and winning a national championship might be harder for Cal than you think. With as many one and done players as he gets, there is no flow and chemistry built. They will win lots of games, but when it gets near the end and there is a close one, will they have the right mix to make it happen.

Which is why I would be delighted, if I were a UK fan, with Kyle Wiltjer's verbal. He's not going to be a one and done player, and yet he is going to be an outstanding.

As Kentucky's elite 8 loss to West Virginia showed, no matter how much talent you have, you usually aren't to win 6 games in a row in March when your team is led by a bunch of freshmen. Huggins' crew made the Wildcats looks like preschoolers in that game....like they had never seen a zone before.

It should be noted that Cal's UMass team that went to the final 4 had zero depth, but the starting lineup was tremendously experienced. The key player on the Memphis team that lost to Kansas in the title game was freshman Derrick Rose, but he had talented upperclassmen around him. Don't get me wrong - it is crucial to be really talented, but I have never been a fan of the one and done conveyor belt type recruiting that Cal has been employing up to this point at UK. I think it's smarter to recruit like Coach K and Roy Williams. The reason why those guys have won titles and have had so much success is because they recruit balanced classes. For every Marvin Williams there is a Jawad Williams. For every Ed Davis there is a Deon Thompson, etc.

As for Gonzaga, history has shown that most coaches need to make a final 4 or two before they win a national title. This is probably going to have to be the case with Gonzaga. My read on the NCAA tournament is that winning games 5 and 6 is more difficult that winning games 1, 2, 3 and 4 combined. There are usually many more teams capable of making it to the final 4 than who are capable of winning it all. Generally speaking, in order to win it all, you need to have at least three first rounders. The Zags have never had this, and the only way they are likely going to get it is if they get to a final 4 or two. Tournament success at that kind of level would allow Mark Few and Co. to have more ammunition in the recruiting wars when opposing coaches try to use the WCC against the Zags. Unlike some people, I don't feel that every McDonald's AA caliber player necessarily wants to go to a place like Kentucky, but they do want to see that your program is consistently capable of making big runs and is good at developing players for the next level. Talking about Few and national championships is like putting the cart before the horse. I just want to see a final 4 or two.

GoZags
08-31-2010, 08:32 AM
It took coach K 16 years. It took John Wooden 14 years. Calapari has never won one.

How would you put this in perspective with Mark Few?

Thoughts?

I didn't enjoy last years' WCC tourney final, watching the Gaels celebrate their well deserved tourney Championship.

Right now I'd like to see the Zags' celebrating in Vegas, and winning some games in next year's dance. I'll worry about National Titles later.

webspinnre
08-31-2010, 09:30 AM
My goal right now is to make the Final Four. My (more) realistic goal every year is to make the Sweet 16, and have a shot at the Elite 8.

bartruff1
08-31-2010, 11:56 AM
I didn't enjoy last years' WCC tourney final, watching the Gaels celebrate their well deserved tourney Championship.

Right now I'd like to see the Zags' celebrating in Vegas, and winning some games in next year's dance. I'll worry about National Titles later. + 1 ...that was painful...

gamagin
08-31-2010, 12:01 PM
My goal right now is to make the Final Four. My (more) realistic goal every year is to make the Sweet 16, and have a shot at the Elite 8.

the last guy who started howling for a national championship was dragged out of the GUB in a virtual butterfly net.

He s now virtual soylent green.

75Zag
08-31-2010, 07:00 PM
I usually try to avoid reading or posting to threads that include the words "final four" or "national title" but then I decided perhaps I was not giving my fellow GU posters an appropriate amount of respect. So, in the spirit of sportsmanship, humanity, Jesuit tradition and support for GU, I have decided that for the first 60 of you that want to wager a $1000 bet (even money of course because it would be disrespectful of me toward GU to offer odds) that GU will win the national championship this season, I will take your action. I do so reluctantly of course as a GU alumni and supporter.

Feel free to PM me with the details of how your money will be delivered to me.

PS - if this is illegal in your area or my area, the offer is void, unless you can figure out a way to do this so we don't get caught.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

MickMick
08-31-2010, 07:16 PM
Perhaps a bad title?

I think the emphasis here has gone south. Not one person has posted about how difficult it was for coach K and Wooden to get there. Thirty years between them.

The reference to Mark Few was to ask for perpective. If it took the great John Wooden 14 years than why are people (in general...not GU fans) so quick to dismiss Few winning 90% of his games, heading into the NCAA tournament for 10 straight years, and winning roughly 50% of the tournament games once he gets there?

Coach K took 16 and Wooden took 14. Calapari (The historically great recruiter) never has.

I don't see any reference to Gonzaga winning one. Indeed, I see a reference to how difficult it really is. The question isn't "When will Gonzaga win one." The question was (and is), how does Mark Few fit in?

Give me an honest answer. Could any of those coaches done any better within the parameters of GU?

spudzag
08-31-2010, 07:24 PM
Heck, I'd love to make the Elite 8 again!

Bocco
08-31-2010, 07:29 PM
Give me an honest answer. Could any of those coaches done any better within the parameters of GU?

I'm one who doubts that any other coach could have done better at Gonzaga than Coach Few has done. It would be nice to make the final four, but if it doesn't happen it should not diminish what he has done at GU.

cbbfanatic
09-01-2010, 08:40 AM

i dont think they could have ("would have" would probably be more appropriate), and the main reason is that i think these legendary coaches that you mention, would have left to go to a school that was better set up to win it all or go to final fours. im not questioning few's title ambitions by sticking around, im just pointing out that his fierce loyalty is possibly a main thing keeping him from serious national title contention - the type of loyalty that i dont think guys like wooden or k would have developed at a place where it would be extremely difficult to win a title.

so in short, no, i dont think these guys would have done much better at GU