• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jazzdelmar
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

chilling effect on few?

serious question: could losing out on wiltjer be such a disappointment to few that he wd perhaps for the first time consider moving to a bcs program? he must have put a lot into the recruitment and losing out to the oily pied piper surely must be a chilling effect to such a degree that he cd begin to question whether he could ever recruit at the highest level at gu.... learning as well that apparently gu wasnt even in the kid's last 3, after months of tea leaves that said otherwise, cant be comforting....
  • GoZags
    Super Moderator
    • Feb 2007

The Zags have won a total of 3 NCAA tourney games over the past 4 seasons, yet they continue to be "in the mix' for a number of highly regarded PSA's.

My belief is that Few understands the need to do better on the floor .... and that success, when it comes, will lead to incremental success on the recruiting trail. Again, that's my opinion.
    sigpic
    “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
    Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• sofa king
      Bulldog Fan
      • Nov 2007

I highly doubt one teenage kid is gonna make him call into question the quality of life and stability that he has here. Don't get me wrong, I think things could build up over time, but KW is not single-handedly going to force Few to move on. Can anyone compete with a school that gets kids site-unseen.

Comment

• thickman1
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by sofa king View Post
        I highly doubt one teenage kid is gonna make him call into question the quality of life and stability that he has here. Don't get me wrong, I think things could build up over time, but KW is not single-handedly going to force Few to move on. Can anyone compete with a school that gets kids site-unseen.
        There has been multiple kids....Wiltjer, Thompson, Farmar.....

Comment

• hondo
          Zag for Life
          • May 2009

Jazz, with that attitude a .350 hitter in baseball wouldn't even bother walking up to the plate. The Zag success is a result of persistence and positive attitude I don't think that is going to change.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

agree

Originally posted by hondo View Post
            Jazz, with that attitude a .350 hitter in baseball wouldn't even bother walking up to the plate. The Zag success is a result of persistence and positive attitude I don't think that is going to change.

hondo-i am not in any way denigrating fews attitude or performance, they have been terrific. all im saying is that hes a competitive person and it has to daunt him to lose out on this particular kid. its clear the staff put a lot of chips on him, only to have him stolen by a bigger brand name (despite that name's tainted boss). as i have said, losing him to calif or wake or even kansas wd not have stinged as much, imo. i hope ur right, just saying.

Comment

• hondo
              Zag for Life
              • May 2009

One of the things I really like about Few is that he will go hard after top notch players where some other coaches we have seen would not be willing to put the in effort knowing the odds are slim. KW is just another in a long list of very good players who we have missed on. Jordan Farmar, Ian Mahinmi, Mario Kasun are just a few we know about there are probably many many more. The Zag coaches have won a number of the battles as well in Harris, Turiaf, Daye and others.
              I doubt KW will have a bigger impact his first years than Harris did last year and GBJ might prove to be the best of the 3.
              Sure our coaches are dissapointed but they could probably see this coming long before we could and they know that this sort of thing is just part of the game.

Comment

• sonuvazag
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

The thing to remember is Few could have got on that train many times and Gonzaga is custom fit because he's been the lead architect for ten years. If he does give up his baby, I would bet he does everything he can to ensure it falls to a worthy successor.
                Agent provocateur

Comment

• bartruff1
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jan 2010

I believe that after last years oportunity at Nike U. ....that he is here as long as he is wanted or wants to be here....thank you baby jesus...

Comment

• ZagNative
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Somebody needs to get their Zoloft prescription refilled, and it ain't Mark Few ... We lose out on a five-star recruit, so for a few hysterical types here, the world as we know it is at an end.

Good bye, cruel world ...

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

naa, xanax

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
                      Somebody needs to get their Zoloft prescription refilled, and it ain't Mark Few ... We lose out on a five-star recruit, so for a few hysterical types here, the world as we know it is at an end.

Good bye, cruel world ...

naa, i prefer xanax, but thanks

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                        Administrator
                        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                        serious question: could losing out on wiltjer be such a disappointment to few that he wd perhaps for the first time consider moving to a bcs program? he must have put a lot into the recruitment and losing out to the oily pied piper surely must be a chilling effect to such a degree that he cd begin to question whether he could ever recruit at the highest level at gu.... learning as well that apparently gu wasnt even in the kid's last 3, after months of tea leaves that said otherwise, cant be comforting....
                        Coach Cal steals recruits from BCS guys, too. Ask UW about the two that changed their verbals long after Romar thought they were locked up. Kentucky is going to take top players away from everybody. KW picked that program over Kansas, Wake Forest, UW, and Cal, among others. Gonzaga wasn't the only program that was disappointed.

On the other hand, Gonzaga has won a few bidding wars with the top programs in recent years. Turiaf picked the Zags over UCONN. Batista picked the Zags over Kansas. Daye picked the Zags over half the PAC-10. This one got away. The next one might not.

Also, a lot of the very best Zag players were guys that the Zags found before the bigger programs did - Calvary, Dench, Frahm, Hall, and AMMO were guys that might not have been Zags if PAC-10 schools had made early scholarship offers to them. Recruiting isn't always about winning bidding wars. It's just as often about figuring out who the better players are and locking them up before somebody else does.

Mark Few has found some real hidden gems in the recent recruiting classes. His crew will find more in the future.
                        “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• realtydog
                          Kennel Club
                          • Feb 2007

Maybe Cal bears should move to BCS

or UW---with the tourny & TV deals---it's not all about the BCS now---GBJ--could have gone most anywhere---we did not miss out on KW because of BCS conference---KW went to friggin' Kentucky--they are one of a couple 800 pound gorillas---were fine

Comment

• BobZag
                            Dark Lord of the Zag
                            • Jan 2007

For those of us who are old enough, try imagining being bummed out about losing out to Kentucky back when we were in school. I mean, back then Fitz gave up on kids who were on WSU's or Montana's list.

Keep sawing wood.
                            The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Zag365
                              Zag for Life
                              • Apr 2007

this has happened before and will happen again -- to every top 20 program. Meanwhile, Coach Few and the Zags will move on and continue to play great basketball with really, really good players. There are more than a couple (should I say "few") of them out there. One of the reasons for Gonzaga's success is that this coaching staff has repeatedly managed to find and attract good players who also fit our school/program/family -- even though they don't get every one of them, like Wiltjer. In fact, our identity and national reputation as the lovable, small school powerhouse is predicated on a well-coached team of lesser known (nationally), quality players taking down teams with bigger name recruits. We'll be fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X