PDA

View Full Version : GU in Collegiate Licensing Rankings

Section 116
08-26-2010, 05:54 PM
If you're wondering how all that money you've been spending on GU apparel, etc. has affected their position among top selling universites, here is the answer:

http://www.clc.com/clcweb/publishing.nsf/Content/Rankings+Annual+2010

#69-If you don't want to take the time to scroll through the news release!

webspinnre
08-27-2010, 07:25 AM
That's pretty impressive, given the size of university and number of alums comparative to other schools.

OregonZag5
08-27-2010, 08:13 AM
In a quick glance it looks like we are number 2 without a football team- with that other GU being first.

gozagswoohoo
08-27-2010, 09:08 AM
I'm quite certain that I am solely responsible for much of our good ranking.

Edited to add: At least my wife would argue this for sure.

Zagpower
08-27-2010, 09:16 AM

Don't forget about me Woohoo. You could crush me in hoops, beer drinking, GU Fandom, and about anything else, but I should be able to win the battle of licensing fees paid:D

PS Hope all is well you and the family.

gozagswoohoo
08-27-2010, 09:50 AM
Don't forget about me Woohoo. You could crush me in hoops, beer drinking, GU Fandom, and about anything else, but I should be able to win the battle of licensing fees paid:D

PS Hope all is well you and the family.

Haha! You're giving me too much credit on all the other stuff, but yes, I'm sure you have me by a tad on the 'licensing fees paid' department! :D

ID ZAGFAN
08-27-2010, 10:22 AM
I think I might be in there too. Not only have I purchased a lot of gear for Mr. ID Zagfan and myself, but 3 years ago almost everybody on my Christmas list--brothers, grandkids, nieces, nephews, grand nieces and nephews and in-laws--about 30 in all--got Zags gear for Christmas--I guess that's why I switched my name to ZaGranny! :p

ZaGranny

ZagFanInNC
08-27-2010, 11:40 AM
In a quick glance it looks like we are number 2 without a football team- with that other GU being first.

The only thing you have to remember is these are only schools represented by IMG...not all of the schools in the nation.

Colbyspapa
08-27-2010, 12:21 PM
The only thing you have to remember is these are only schools represented by IMG...not all of the schools in the nation.

IMG owns the licensing company. They do not represent all of these schools. They sell/market trademark usage.

For GU and about 20 other schools, IMG promotes, markets and creates endorsement opportunites to drive revenue. I.e. TV contracts, apparell deals, etc...

I could not identify another school on that list that doesn't play football. Could someone clarify?

Zag365
08-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Impressive not just because we are a small school in a non-BCS conference, but also because we are in a modest size town in a relatively sparsely populated, largely rural region that is in the PT Zone (very confusing to some).

TexasZagFan
08-27-2010, 01:23 PM

We're sure to be #1 after Fall Family Weekend. I've got some serious upgrading to do on my Zag gear, and will have my first grandchild to attire appropriately.

Let's not forget that Christmas will be just around the corner... ;)

Zagpower
08-27-2010, 01:55 PM
When we did our licensing deals a few years back, the company we dealt with was CLC.http://www.clc.com/clcweb/publishing.nsf/Content/aboutclc.html

They represented pretty much all the big schools except Oregon at that time. CLC was used by the schools to save time on licensing approvals.

We would submit our design to CLC which would judge them for appropriateness. If CLC gave the OK, we were clear to make that product for any of their licensed schools. The finished product had to be approved by the individual school to make sure logos were correct and the official colors were used but the product itself only had to be approved once at CLC.

The fees were paid from the manufacturer of the product.

Section 116
08-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Regarding, "I could not identify another school on that list that doesn't play football. Could someone clarify?"

All the other schools on the list have football teams, although some compete in the Football Championship Subdivision, formerly Div. 1-AA such as Georgetown and Texas St.-San Marcos. The State University of New Jersey listed is a bit misleading as that is more commonly known as Rutgers.

mtzaga
08-27-2010, 03:47 PM
Montana is the top FCS football school coming in at #56. The Griz Maroon is all over the state, but for Bozeman and Gallatin County. I have my share of Griz and Zag wear, and my brother's HS football team too.

UberZagFan
08-27-2010, 04:13 PM

That "other" GU plays football...but some would dispute calling it "college" football:

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/129/3595163.jpg (http://img205.imageshack.us/i/3595163.jpg/)

MickMick
08-27-2010, 06:04 PM
My wife has a closet full of GU shirts. I have a few. She wears one almost every day. We spend a small fortune on GU gear.

The Tri Cities is WSU territory. Many more shirts, ballcaps, bumperstickers, etc. for Wazzu. The local Wazzu alums that I personally know have basically given up on their football program and poke fun at them as much as anybody. I gotta give them credit for still wearing the stuff.

azzagfan
08-28-2010, 10:43 AM
The first team in the Rocky Mountains or west of the Rocky Mountains is ranked #32 (University of Arizona). That gives a pretty strong impression of how much less we care about college football and college sports in general than people in the midwest, east and southeast...and I'm OK with that to be honest.

RenoZag
11-08-2018, 08:41 PM
https://beta-static.photobucket.com/images/x375/RenoZag/.highres/IMG_00661.jpg (https://beta.photobucket.com/u/RenoZag/p/8d59818d-602a-430e-9064-ff9b78747513)

I doubt they sold many T-Shirts with this Bulldog. . .

Birddog
11-09-2018, 04:39 AM
Reno, I have that version of Spike on a coffee mug and I think I still have that same bumper sticker laying around somewhere.