• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SLOZag
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Richie Frahm

The second NBA Asia Challenge is being held this Friday in Manilla, Phippipines. On hand will be our own Mr. Frahm:

"Basketball aficionados are expected to fill Araneta Coliseum to the rafters as former Los Angeles Lakers forward Glen Rice, five-time NBA All Star member Chris Webber, 1989 Rookie of the Year Mitch Raymond and 1996 NBA best defensive player Gary Payton promised a memorable one-night showdown.

Aside from the NBA legends, four D-League members composed of 6-foot-5 Richie Frahm of Gonzaga University, 6-foot-8 Darnell Lazare of Louisiana State, 6-foot-5 Chris McCray of Maryland and 6-foot-5 Mark Tyndale of Temple.

Frahm, who had a four-year stint with five NBA teams years ago, played as an import for the Talk N’ Text franchise in the 2002 Governor’s Cup. Unlike last year when the NBA Challenge followed a traditional face off between foreign squads, organizers made a twist this year by coming up with teams that are a mixture of PBA, NBA and D-League members."

SunStar provides news and information from communities, including Cebu, Davao, Manila, Pampanga, Bacolod, Baguio, and Cagayan de Oro, among others. It is your link to home in the Philippines.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Buried as a footnote in some of the stories I read about the NBA Asia Challenge game played in Manila a few days ago was this tidbit:
    Adding vigor and athleticism to the event were the NBA D-Leaguers who came to town with the NBA legends and the current PBA stars. Former Talk ‘N Text import Richie Frahm did well in his "last game" as a player as he is set to retire, finishing with 24 points, from an array of shots, for the White Team, tied with Webber.
    Another of the many stories I read (but can't find now) said he planned to take up coaching.

I gather from the stories I read about the event that it had a big Harlem Globtrotters' flair more for fun than as a real contest. The big buzz was about the 54 points put up by 47-year-old former Phillipine great, "The Triggerman," Allan Caidic. Glen Rice was on Caidic's team and set him up for scoring.
    NBA Challenge: having fun and ‘Triggerman’

THE NATIONAL Basketball Association legends on tap for the 2010 NBA Asia Challenge promised a fun game, and sure enough fans who trekked to the Araneta Coliseum last Friday to witness the event got just that.

In front of several thousand people, NBA legends Gary Payton, Chris Webber, Glen Rice and Mitch Richmond and their Philippine Basketball Association counterparts treated local hoop fans to a night of entertaining basketball and nostalgia.

While away from the game for sometime now, the NBA stars still kept the fans engaged. Whether it was Payton setting up the play for his team to go along with his trademark trash talking, Webber throwing hit hard down the rim with the best of them, and Rice and Richmond connecting from long range, all were met with much awe and excitement by fans both young and old.

Not to be outdone were the PBA legends who showed why they are etched forever in local basketball lore. In particular, Allan Caidic was simply scintillating Friday night, undeniably the star of all stars.

"The Triggerman" connected for 54 points to lead his Red Team to a 177-167 victory over the White Team. Despite all of 47 years old, Caidic displayed the form that made him the legend that he is, going 14-of-26 (53.8&#37 from beyond the arc and 100% (6-of-6) in the two-point range.
    I liked this bit from inquirer.net:
    Caidic had six triples in the first half alone. That’s the same number of threes Richie Frahm, who buried the second highest total of shots from beyond the arc, managed to make—the entire game.

So in awe was Frahm of Caidic’s shooting that at one point during the game, before sprinting back on defense, the former PBA import stopped by the Red team bench to have his jersey signed by Caidic.

“No matter how many shots I made, the Triggerman hit twice as many. I was just in awe of his performance. I think he’s going to come back and sign a two-year contract with San Miguel,” joked Frahm.

After getting the autograph, Frahm, who played for Talk ’N Text in 2002, made three straight triples for the White team. After the third triple, he looked at Caidic and pointed to the signature at the back of his jersey.
    This Youtube of highlights of the game is fun and includes the announcers commenting on Richie getting Triggerman to autograph his jersey during the game, before sprinting back on defense. It also shows the Miami Heat's Mascot playing in part of the game.

Comment

Working...
    X