PDA

View Full Version : Poll: To Re-Seat or Not To Re-Seat

Angelo Roncalli
05-15-2007, 02:34 PM
Poll: To Reseat or not to Reseat

That is the question. Word within the athletic department is that the athletic department is against reseating, but final decisions have yet to be run through the chain of command, ie, Trustees, Fr. Spitzer...

sittingon50
05-15-2007, 02:39 PM
And would a reseat mean the larger check you write the better seat you get?

Zagdawg
05-15-2007, 02:42 PM
The larger you are the farther towards the back of the arena you must sit -- so you don't block so many fans views?====reseat

or

The louder you cheer the better seat you get?

or

The most spirit ...spunk-- the better seat you get.

brasszag
05-15-2007, 02:44 PM
Pros / Cons please.

a13coach
05-15-2007, 02:52 PM
I vote yes to show my support for those who have supported the team through the lean years. But I would say no if it meant bumping people because others are writing bigger checks.

BobZag
05-15-2007, 03:08 PM
And would a reseat mean the larger check you write the better seat you get?

Indeed, it sure could.

Section 116
05-15-2007, 03:30 PM
Of the season ticket holders I have talked to (about 10) all are against reseating because the overiding concern is, "Is the ultimate plan to reseat everyone at the end of the 5 year committment, that being, open up all the seats to the highest biddders?" There is definitely a law of supply and demand here and there is no question there are plenty of people in this town who would pay big money for the right to see and be SEEN! Frankly there is enough of that already!

Zag79
05-15-2007, 11:12 PM
NOT TO RESEAT! i have 6 season tix in my name, attend EVERY game, cheer my a$$ off and do not want to lost these great seats to more corporate buyers who send there employees in to show up late, leave before half and come back late from half (for the free beer) and then go home with 4 minutes left. ok, rant over. but you get my drift. i think it would be cool if this became like a BoSox tix thing. People are lifers.

gamagin
05-16-2007, 07:34 AM
involved in a number of seating "deals" the first time around.

for e.g., a group of friends would buy 10 seats under one name.

On paper, this meant more $ was being spent by one ticket holder/fan/alum, thus "he" was spending more $ under the program and therefore "he" got a better selection for seating purposes, sooner than someone else who was following the rules as stated.

Meantime, the honest, two tix purchaser who had good seats for many years but was only buying a couple of seats, got a lesser choice or was bumped out or up or away from his seats by getting shafted.

Or, the person who simply was looking to buy two tix found himself way down the list for selection and didn't even have a shot at better seats because they were already gone. the fix was on.

there were also rumors of favoritism against one or more of those who handled the seat selection process.

there are a number of season tix holders who magicallyg got some great seats -- right next to the jet set -- or in the same section, which could have been auctioned off to the highest bidder, but were not.

how ? the buddy system. and the team purchase. It didn't always involve the deepest pockets, it turned out, but who you knew and what you knew (see above) going in.

and this didn't make the school any more money. It may have cost it some.

should this trigger wholesale re seating? I don't think so.

But it wouldn't bother me a bit of those who allegedly got there seats & tix by spurious means, or who allegedly cheated, got the boot, or were put back in line where they likely belong, it wouldn't bother me in the least.

VaBeachZAG
05-16-2007, 09:21 AM
Living over 3000 miles from K2, I have no personal interest in re-seating, except that I would not like to see this process used as a means of screwing good people out of seats already obligated to them.

However, for me personally, a big issue is current placement of the main TV camera. The main camera absolutely needs to be on the opposite side of the arena from the student section. It is almost criminal that the full impact of the student section can't be routinely seen by TV viewers. Two years ago in the Game Day game with Stanford ESPN brought in extra cameras that were able to capture the full student section in awsome form. Whatever the heck it takes, this change needs to be made!

Brn2BZags
05-16-2007, 10:31 AM
As a season ticket holder, I was invited (about 6 weeks ago) to participate in a focus group on this very issue. The group I participated in was overwhelmingly against reseating. I understand from talking to the hosts of the session that the other focus groups likewise strongly opposed reseating, and that the same would be reported to the administration. For what it is worth, I left the the meeting with the impression that reseating was very unlikely.

UberZagFan
05-16-2007, 01:27 PM
For what possible purpose would re-seating serve other than to benefit those with more funds? I doubt any re-seating would seek to cure the "cheating" mention by gamagin and I doubt it would be done to change priority that was originally based on how much you gave. So it seems the only reason would be allow ticket holders to out-bid others for better seats.

Gonezagaga
05-16-2007, 04:22 PM
Gamagin I cannot tell you if there was any "skullduggery" involved in the issuance of seating selection times the first time around. However, I would like to explain a couple different scenarios that are very similar to which you you have brought up.

1st scenario: My brother in law and myself decided to buy 4 tickets each. I told him that I would order them for us since I had been following the process. All 8 tickets are now in my name. We did recieve points for each ticket ordered so we had an earlier selection time than if we would if we ordered 4 tickets apiece. Nowhere in the process of ordering tickets was I told that I would benefit from ordering them together. It just worked out that way.

2nd scenario: I have 4 friends that each ordered 2 tickets. They wanted to sit together with their wives. The only way to do that was to order them all together. Not skullduggery, just wanting to sit with friends.

gamagin
05-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Had I known what the "rules" were here, I would be sitting in front of you. And probably in front of the biggest donor in the joint.

Or wherever I wanted to.

I could have arranged for 50 purchases in my name. More, even. Whatever it took.

So I'm not blaming you for doing what you did.

I blame the system that allows it.

best regards,

Outraged
05-16-2007, 08:49 PM
If you want fans to remember you in the bad years you better remember them in the good years. Seats should be based on long term loyalty. That is if you want fans to be loyal in the long term.

Sounds like a lot of people wasting a lot of time. Everyone will get a chance at a good seat eventually if they eat right and exercise. I can't think of a better way to keep fat butts off front seats. They're athletic seats aren't they?

Bulldoggie
05-16-2007, 10:33 PM
Gonezagaga, tell me that the tickets for the four friends in your scenario 2 weren't purchased by the friend with the most points and I might agree with you that no skullduggery was intended.

When I purchased my seats I was informed that I was 33 on the priority list for tickets in the Silver section which I believe has 600 seats. Imagine my surprise when I finally got my chance to pick my seats and I had a pick of about 20 seats that hadn't already been selected. I hope the 20 ahead of me on the priority list are enjoying their 18-20 seats each.

So needless to say I am against any reseating plan because I don't think I will be upgraded. I have an uneasy feeling about what will happen once the Arena pledge period is over. I hope I am wrong.

Gonezagaga
05-17-2007, 06:28 AM
Bulldoggie none of my four friends had any points except for the points rewarded for getting 8 seats, and they are all seated in the zag seats.

RenoZag
05-18-2007, 10:31 AM
I sure enjoy reading about the issues that creep into success and the different points of view taken depending an individual's situation visa via ticket holder status or future ticket holder status.

A mentor told me "if you can't figure out what happened in the business deal just follow the money trail".

Apparently a majority of you never took an economics class, or have not fallen victim to the laws of supply and demand before. Keeping ticket prices artificially low (or without required tiered donations) is just bad business, but I am sure the AD/President will come up with a solutions that keeps some of the long timers inside the Mac. Just some objective comments with no Bulldog in the fight.

What a condescending tone; did your mentor teach you that as well ?

Zagdawg
05-18-2007, 10:48 AM
Now can't we be nice to the poor gael--

We all know the only game they sell out each year is when the Zags come to town-- everyone turns out to watch us beat up on them....

:)

MickMick
05-18-2007, 11:38 AM
The only game I could attend last year was the Memphis game (a 3 hour drive for me). How does the ticket process for the Kennel work? I was told that it was a lottery type process that was drawn from a club membership (which has it's own fees/dues).

As far as supply and demand, FSN fills the void. After thinking it through, the Gonzaga marketing department is ingenius. The Gym size dictates a constant sell-out of crazed fans.....all to be displayed to a TV audience. An atmosphere that seems to flow right out of the TV screen. FSN and Gonzaga are the perfect marriage. And ESPN loves that atmosphere that flows from the screen as well.

Lord help me if the networks decide to move on as I grow concerend about WSU becoming competitive or Seattle U entering the scene.

LongIslandZagFan
05-18-2007, 12:56 PM
Living over 3000 miles from K2, I have no personal interest in re-seating, except that I would not like to see this process used as a means of screwing good people out of seats already obligated to them.

However, for me personally, a big issue is current placement of the main TV camera. The main camera absolutely needs to be on the opposite side of the arena from the student section. It is almost criminal that the full impact of the student section can't be routinely seen by TV viewers. Two years ago in the Game Day game with Stanford ESPN brought in extra cameras that were able to capture the full student section in awsome form. Whatever the heck it takes, this change needs to be made!

For my friends on this board... no way do I want reseating.

Going back to VaBeach's post... the cameras MUST be moved to the other side. MUST, MUST, MUST. The KC should not be disembodied noise. The viewers need to see the kids going nuts the whole game. Plus you put the KC on TV the whole game you'd never seem them come close to calming down at any point in the game.

But realistically, if you do that, then the non-cheering $ people don't get on TV as much.

jbslicer
05-18-2007, 06:17 PM
I think the networks would rather show the coaches than a bunch of kids jumping up and down.

VaBeachZAG
05-19-2007, 05:17 AM
I don't see that the networks are in a position to dictate this point. Just move the damn cameras to the other side!!!

RenoZag
05-19-2007, 05:58 AM
Before the transition to GU Boards from the old Scout haunt, this camera location discussion was bandied about. . .while everyone seemed to think it was a good idea, I vaguely recall there were some logistical issues, e.g., no camera "perch" on that side of the arena or the side where the camera now rests set up for easy access to cabling, power, broadcast hardware. . .

Does anyone know the straight scoop on this one ?

At Duke, the Cameron Crazies are partly inspired by the fact the camera position for the high, wide view shots includes their zaniness in all its blue and white demonic glory. . .imagine what a few seasons with greater exposure on the telly might do for the KC. . .

gamagin
05-19-2007, 08:21 AM
to have a camera on the south side, able to shoot the GU fan base going crazy, imo.

Locations could be somewhere in or above the tunnels leading to or from the lockers on the east and west ends, behind the press table at floor level or up above where there are also press tables.

I don't think any of those positions would bother anybody, or even take up a seat. Especially if the setup were portable.

It might be a budget problem from the standpoint of the network wanting or needing (in its opinion) to pay the extra expenses involved.

However, I would suggest that a student-intern or the GU tv class or someone connected with GU take up the perch and offer the shot(s) as part of what they are shooting for themselves, anyway, to the network to cut away to or from whenever the place is rocking.

I agree with those who say it would make a great shot and would indeed, be worthy of tv exposure for its genuine impact and to give viewers a great sense of being there.

kitzbuel
05-19-2007, 09:55 PM
I really don't see the big deal because all the big games are played in the Coliseum or Seattle. I don't think season tickets help there.

MickMick
05-19-2007, 11:50 PM
During the Adam Morrison "Rolling Stones" tour, there wasn't a venue in the WCC to go watch Gonzaga (no vacancy months in advance). I don't know if it still is that way. I know the only way I can see them live is in the Spokane Coliseum or Seattle's Key Arena. I doubt if it will ever be easy to see them in Pullman again. Portland is too close, Zag fans will make the drive. Further, with the Stepp and Ravio fans of the world, the Zags have built a fairly devout Oregon base.

I am thinking that the tickets are not just a hot commodity in Spokane. The fan base is widespread and diverse. I constantly hear BCS fans from across the West describe Gonzaga as their "2nd favorite team" I wonder how they rank in sweatshirt sales on a national scale.

Whoever said that the prices could soar is correct. A co-worker of mine spent $440 for a pair of tickets last season. Beyond that was the expense of the gas to drive to Spokane, the hotel room, the meals, and a few pre-game drinks. It was roughly a thousand dollar trip. But he believes that watching a game in the Kennel is worth every penny. Part of it may be that the home team stands a fairly good chance of winning :). In his opinion, the Coliseum just can't compare with the atmosphere in the Kennel. Then again, watching the then highly touted Huskies get stomped may have made the cost more agreeable.

beatProgram
05-20-2007, 09:51 AM
If anything needs to be done...

The need to move the camera nest to THE OTHER SIDE!!!!!!!!

I'm sorry, but it is completely asinine that the TV cameras point AWAY from the student section. The rabid student fans are a HUGE part of what makes GU basketball so special. People watching the games on TV ought to be able to see just how completely insane the students are about their basketball team.

It would help recruiting, it would help the TV coverage, it would help gather prospective students.

The fact that they decided to put it opposite the students in order to add a dozen or so extra season ticket holder seats speaks volumes to me about how the administration really views this athletic program.

sittingon50
05-20-2007, 11:28 AM
The Coliseum has been a parking lot for years, MickMick. Adjacent to it is the Arena.

MickMick
05-20-2007, 11:39 AM
The Coliseum has been a parking lot for years, MickMick. Adjacent to it is the Arena.

I have a ticket stub that says [ KISS - Spokane Coliseum - $8.00 ]. I don't even know if the Arena was around in 1976. But I always seem to be corrected on the issue of calling it (Arena) the coliseum. Was the Arena built for the Expo world fair?
Back then (at Expo), the butterfly frame was much more of a colorful landmark with the fabric stretched across it.

GonzagaGurl08
05-20-2007, 12:03 PM
If I remember correctly, they put the cameras where they are so that they could show the bench. The other option is to move the students to behind the benches. At most schools (correct me if I am wrong) the student section is behind the baskets. We are lucky that the Kennel Club is in such a good spot. I can already imagine complaints from visiting head coaches in regards to heckling. When GU heckles we do a pretty good job of researhing beforehand. Either show the bench or show the students, one or the other, I don't think we'll get both. Just my two cents.

jbslicer
05-20-2007, 01:18 PM
The Spokane Arena opened in 1995 and the Spokane Coliseum opened in 1954.