PDA

View Full Version : Predict Zags' Game-by-Game W-L Record

BobZag
08-20-2010, 10:31 AM
Southern Oregon - W (exhibition, doesn't count)
Southern - W
UIPUI - W
SDSU - W
K-State - L
Duke or Marquette - W (it'll be Marquette)
EWU - W
Illinois - W
WSU - L
UND - L
LC State - W
Baylor - L
Xavier - W
Lafayette - W
Oke State - W
Wake - W
UP - W
Pepp - W
LMU - W
SCU - L
USF - W
SMC - W
USD - W
UP - W
Memphis - W
LMU - L
Pepp - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - L
USD - W
Bakersfield - W

That's 24-7, without the WCC Tourney. I can see the Zags winning the tourney and finishing 26-7. The sked this year surpasses last year's sked in difficulty, hence a similar W-L record, even though a better team.

Your early predictions?

Ekrub
08-20-2010, 10:44 AM
30-1

1 loss being Duke

Colbyspapa
08-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Southern - W
UIPUI - W
SDSU - W
K-State - W
Duke - L
EWU - W
Illinois - W
WSU - W
UND - W
LC State - W
Baylor - L
Xavier - W
Lafayette - W
Oke State - W
Wake - L
UP - W
Pepp - W
LMU - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - W
USD - W
UP - W
Memphis - W
LMU - L
Pepp - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - L
USD - W
Bakersfield - W
SMC - W (Tourney)
LMU - W (Tourney)

I have us at 28-5. I don't believe we have the team to beat Duke this year. I hope I am wrong. Our guards will have to play very well. If Duke only has to guard 4 people on defense, there is no way to beat them. I don't mean to bash Meech. I am hoping so much that he has confidence in his outside shot this year. However, in a game like Duke, they are so well schooled on the defensive end, that their length and size will cause us fits if their top guard can sag to help on Sacre.

I believe the game at Baylor (Dallas) will be tough. They guys will have just had finals week, which is tough enough. I also think the Wake game is trouble. New Years eve game at home at 7PM pacific (10PM Eastern), travel day which will get them to Winston-Salem around 6PM if they leave at 9AM, then they play the next day.

I think we lose at LMU. We don't play great there. The last time I remember us dominating at LMU, Dan Dickau had 35 points in the first half. This year, they should have a team that could rival St. Mary's for #2 in the league. Winning at SMC is always tough. I think 12-2 wins our league.

Games that scare me, SDSU - Aztecs look solid; KState - they could be a top 20 team this year. Andy Katz thinks so. Notre Dame - It will be a true road game. They go to Christmas break on December 17th so every student will be in that building.

Should be a fun schedule.

gozagswoohoo
08-20-2010, 10:56 AM
Southern - W
UIPUI - W
SDSU - W
K-State - W
Duke or Marquette - L (it'll be Duke)
EWU - W
Illinois - W
WSU - W
UND - L
LC State - W
Baylor - L
Xavier - W
Lafayette - W
Oke State - W
Wake - W
UP - W
Pepp - W
LMU - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - W
USD - W
UP - W
Memphis - W
LMU - L
Pepp - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - L
USD - W
Bakersfield - W

That's 6 Losses, not including the tourney

Reborn
08-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Southern - W
UIPUI - W
SDSU - W
K-State - L
Duke or Marquette - W (it'll be Marquette)
EWU - W
Illinois - W
WSU - W
UND - L
LC State - W
Baylor - L
Xavier - W
Lafayette - W
Oke State - W
Wake - W
UP - W
Pepp - W
LMU - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - W
USD - W
UP - W
Memphis - W
LMU - W
Pepp - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - W
USD - W
Bakersfield - W

That's 24-7, without the WCC Tourney. I can see the Zags winning the tourney and finishing 26-7. The sked this year surpasses last year's sked in difficulty, hence a similar W-L record, even though a better team.

Your early predictions?

I'm expecting this to be the best GU team ever up to this point. 28 - 3. Win WCC tournament and get a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament. Losses to Kansas St., Notre Dame and Baylor

MickMick
08-20-2010, 11:03 AM
Zags are going to be in for a tough season I think.

Who is going to pass the rock?

JohnOGU
08-20-2010, 11:05 AM
I have us at 28-5. I don't believe we have the team to beat Duke this year. I hope I am wrong. Our guards will have to play very well. If Duke only has to guard 4 people on defense, there is no way to beat them. I don't mean to bash Meech. I am hoping so much that he has confidence in his outside shot this year. However, in a game like Duke, they are so well schooled on the defensive end, that their length and size will cause us fits if their top guard can sag to help on Sacre.

by no means am I attempting to bash Meech either, but in the event that his shot has not improved, I am told that Carter held his own VERY well against the likes of Pargo and others this Summer. He has a pretty decent outside shot...Just saying.

OregonZag5
08-20-2010, 12:01 PM
Lose to Notre Dame- have already invited ND grads over for the game and it will be just too painful if we lose to them( unless they have a terrible football season and I will continue to bring that up) I really really want to win this one.

cjm720
08-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Losses to K-State, Baylor, and Wake plus two conference losses will result in a 26-5 record, including an auto berth with a top 5 seed.

Go Zags!!!

ridgebackzag
08-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Why is everyone writing us off against ND? Not to say we're incapable of losing against mediocre teams (see Portland State (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XO4nJNAmhmE)), but beating ND in their house (http://www.wsbt.com/sports/local/79144792.html) hasn't been too difficult either.

DixieZag
08-20-2010, 01:29 PM
How can we predict wins and losses when we do not even know our team yet? I know, I know, its a fun excercise and it is scary looking at our schedule. 7 losses seem about right, though I am afraid that one or two of those may be additional WCC loses, not OOC. Not to start a new thread but I think we need to know who starts/plays

PG-Carter (no fights, just a talent upgrade, respect his shot)
SG- Gray (he has to be consistent to get every W BZ predicts)
PF - Harris (he has to play like a 2nd T All-American to take 1-2 OOC L's into W
SF - Olynick/Arop (I just cannot get my arms around this one; love Arops game and I think he will shoot this year (remember the 4 or 5 shots he took last year, they went in) but Kelly scores in weird ways.
C- Sacre (Has to get over the foul trouble and play 30, or Dower has to be better than we even thought).

Again, 6 or 7 losses seems right, I would take 2 losses in WCC right now and run run run.

jpwils
08-20-2010, 01:53 PM
3 losses OOC and 2 losses in WCC. Outside of Baylor don't know which losses OOC will be to except we're bound to have a couple stinker games.

We have 2 potential All Americans in our lineup with a third lurking-Sacre!

I think this Zags team may struggle early on against tough opponents like
Baylor....depends alot on injuries and if we can get some scoring out of the point position, if Gray can be more consistent, if Sacre can improve scoring and rebounding( offensive), if Arop is healed, if Gray, Hyland and Monninghoff can score against zones, if dower can contribute off bench....so many intangibles.

I do think Arop, Olynyk, and Dower are ready to break out!
Depth on this team is best yet!

I will say this....we cannot lose on the road to LMU, St Mary's, and SCU and expect to be conference champs and get a decent draw in the NCAA's.
Two losses in conference tops or we will be in trouble. we cannot lose ANY WCC games at home this year!

LMU is contending THIS year for the WCC and SCU is a young sleeper team, especially at home( with exception of Foster and Trass). SMC has graduated Samhan-yes they have two fine guards but so do we- it comes down to whether or not Sacre , Dower, Harris, and Olynyk WANT it on the boards and can control games instead of 5 minute stretches. Can Gray lead this team on the road- I think the answer is YES!

dim4sum
08-20-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm predicting six losses, period, including post-season .
On another matter, just got an inspiration--Arop lacks a nickname---what about Hops.
Hops Arop doesn't sound bad and it's descriptive of the way he plays.
Anyone second the motion?

ZaggyStardust
08-20-2010, 04:13 PM
For those of you predicting a loss to Wake, the College Hoops Net annual countdown doesn't think they are going to be very good this year

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/137-wake-forest-2010-11-basketball-preview-168674

And frankly, I think Mr. Harris may show up big time for that game. Also, their take on Santa Clara

http://www.collegehoopsnet.com/139-santa-clara-broncos-2010-11-basketball-preview-168672

BobZag
08-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Zaggystardust, I've Missed You!!!!

ZaggyStardust
08-20-2010, 04:44 PM
Awww Geez.... I'm always here... just quiet! But it is nice to be missed.

Gettin psyched about this season!

LynetteG
08-20-2010, 04:53 PM
30-5, book it :)

BobZag
08-20-2010, 04:56 PM
You're right about Wake, they lost a ton of talent--Aminu, Ish Smith, Chaz McFarland and others I can't recall, plus a new coach at the helm.

SCU, I just haven't seen the Zags play very well there recently. Even our wins are kinda awful, if that makes sense. And we all know what a house of horrors Gersten is, even against weaker LMU teams. Hence my prediction.

My best to your Mom! :)

rijman
08-20-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm expecting this to be the best GU team ever up to this point. 28 - 3. Win WCC tournament and get a #3 seed in the NCAA tournament. Losses to Kansas St., Notre Dame and Baylor
I agree, 28-3 and undefeated in conference. The only difference in my opinion is the Zags will beat Notre Dame.

NovaZag
08-20-2010, 06:18 PM
28-5
Losses: @ND, Duke (by 50), Illinois, @Santa Clara, LMU (home)

LynetteG
08-20-2010, 06:42 PM
28-5
Losses: Duke (by 50)
Oh God, not again! :( That would be a nightmare!

cggonzaga
08-20-2010, 09:56 PM

Sarcasm right???

Southern - W
UIPUI - W
SDSU - L
K-State - W
EWU - W
Illinois - W
WSU - W
UND - W
LC State - W
Baylor - W
Xavier - W
Lafayette - W
Oke State - W
Wake - W
UP - W
Pepp - W
LMU - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - W
USD - W
UP - W
Memphis - W
LMU - L
Pepp - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - W
USD - W
Bakersfield - W

My only 3 losses are to SDSU (only if we look past them), Duke (in a much closer game although I do believe we can beat them) and LMU at their place. We only lose 2-3 games this season and we're definitely a 2 seed in March.

zagsfanforlife
08-20-2010, 10:02 PM
the Lions are in spain right now, bonding as a team, and won their first game against a team in one of Spains better pro leagues by 54 points. They are going to be very tough. I see the Zags losing at least one against them, maybe two.

Nevtelen
08-20-2010, 11:56 PM

Without going game for game, I do think this team will be marginally worse than last year's squad. Bouldin was so important to the team in so many ways that it'll take a good while for the team to figure out how to get it done without him and by them most of the tough games will have gone by.

FrosTbear
08-21-2010, 06:17 AM
My only 3 losses are to Illinois, Duke and LMU at their place. We only lose 3 games this season and we play LMU for the Title and go to the big dance as a 3 seed. Big things for a Big Program!

wiszag
08-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Southern - W
UIPUI - W
SDSU - W
K-State - W
EWU - W
Illinois - W
WSU - W
UND - W
LC State - W
Baylor - L
Xavier - W
Lafayette - W
Oke State - W
Wake - W
UP - W
Pepp - W
LMU - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - W
USD - W
UP - W
Memphis - W
LMU - L
Pepp - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - L
USD - W
Bakersfield - W

Reborn
08-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Zaggystardust, I've Missed You!!!! I agree with BZ completely on this one. It's nice to read your posts because I've always respected you for the research you put in. Your opinions are always sound. Please, keep posting.

Foster is a great basketball player, but is he THAT good, and can he take them that far? I tend to agree with the article that Zaggy Stardust quoted. #139 in the country. It will be a dogfight in their gym for sure. It will be a battle. Santa Clara will make the league tougher that's for sure. And that's good for the WCC. It will be nice to see Santa Clara back in the picture. I've always liked them as a team.

I also believe that there is a general feeling of caution in the fans who post here. I would attribute that to how they see losing Matt Bouldin is going to affect the team. Matt was definitelly a leader, but he certainly had his flaws as well. I think there is also a little bit of cautiousness about Steven and how he will take over Matt's leadership. I think he is going to do just fine. From the beginning of his career, I have always believed in Gray. I've believed in his talent and his heart. Last year he showed so much heart in my opinion, and was really the fire starter on that team. I'm really looking forward to watching Steven play this next season. I really hope he has the kind of season I think he will have as he leads the Zag deeper into the NCAA tournament then we have been in quite awhile.

We return two other great players in Harris and Sacre. These two guys really could be turning pro next season. They are that good. If Steven improves his 3 pt shooting to where it was his freshman season he will be one of those too. I agree with the blogger who said that Arop, Olynyk and Dower will be pretty good this year. Arop's talent has barely been scratched. I am glad that he's stayed in Spokane this summer and working out and preparing for next year. From what Few is saying we have a new point guard who is ready to contribute. That's great news for the Zags.

cggonzaga
08-21-2010, 10:48 AM
Without going game for game, I do think this team will be marginally worse than last year's squad. Bouldin was so important to the team in so many ways that it'll take a good while for the team to figure out how to get it done without him and by them most of the tough games will have gone by.

Matt Bouldin was invaluable to last year's team. Just like Dickau, Stepp and Morrison prior to Matt. Teams move on however and its no longer the previous years star's team. The new face of this year's team is clearly Elias Harris with senior leadership coming from Steven Gray and overall leadership coming from Robert Sacre. There is also strong personalities on this team in Manny Arop, Meech, Carter and Sam Dower. The talent is superior to last year's team. Does the team need time to bond and come together? Yes. Has that ever been a problem with this program? Rarely. I for one would be highly surprised if things didn't come together quickly with this group. Talent wise, this is a team that could go very deep in March. IMO, this is the most overall talented team GU has ever had.

Nevtelen
08-22-2010, 06:49 PM
Talent wise, this is a team that could go very deep in March. IMO, this is the most overall talented team GU has ever had.

This gets said so many times every off-season, it's practically a cliche around here. Honestly, I think the most talented GU team ever was either Daye, Pargo, Heytvelt, Bouldin, etc a couple seasons ago (there can certainly be discussions as to whether this team lived up to the talent of it's individual parts, but no question there was oodles of talent there) or alternately the Dickau team that lost to Wyo.

Honestly, I hope you're right and I'm wrong, but I'm not yet confident of that. I do agree that GU quite often does a very very good job of moving on from losing big team-defining players and getting players to adjust very quickly to new roles, but I don't see the big issues of last season improving significantly. Still, this team has shown nothing if not a lot of scrappiness and a will to get it done no matter what, so hopefully that'll carry over and push them.

Kiddwell
08-22-2010, 08:05 PM

Passing the rock and making the other guys play five-on-five defense. Here's hoping Marquise Carter starts strong and stays good the entire season. Expecting that Carter steps up as "the man" at PG, Kiddwell predicts a 26-5 season (w/Vegas, 28-5).

We lose to K State, Marquette, Baylor, LMU (down there), and Okie State. Yes, the Cowboys finally get a win against us.

If Carter isn't a big time early contributor, the Zags stagger, and the naysayers exult, till about mid-season. Then we settle in, play well, win our eleventh consecutive WCC championship.

:]

ZagsGoZags
08-23-2010, 08:53 AM
27-6
including losses against Duke or Marquette, Baylor and LMU at their place

Salsageek
08-23-2010, 09:44 AM
31-0!!! :d

ZaggyStardust
08-23-2010, 05:17 PM
Thanks Reborn!

I think we lose 5.... Which ones, I'm not sure yet as we always seem to lose a couple I didn't think we would and win a couple I didn't expect we'd win... So I'll just stick with a number for now....

RenoZag
09-08-2010, 08:43 PM
. . .they might lose 3 or 4 in conference. Plus there are PG "issues". . .

OOC:

Southern - W
UIPUI - W
SDSU - L
K-State @ KC - L
Duke or Marquette - L
EWU - W
Illinois (BIS) - W
@WSU - W
@UND - L
LC State - W
Baylor @ Dallas- L
Xavier - L ( Pre-Christmas Coal in The Stocking )
Lafayette - W
Oke State - W
Wake - L ( 10 am PT = Doom ! )
Memphis - W **
Bakersfield - W **

11W - 6 L in OOC

UP - W
Pepp - W
LMU - W
@SCU - W
@USF - W
SMC - W
USD - W
@UP - W
@LMU - L
@Pepp - W
SCU - W
USF - W
@SMC - L
@USD - W

12 W , 2 L in Conference, 22 - 9 Heading to Vegas, Not in the Top 25

* * OOC Games Played During the WCC Part of the Schedule

MickMick
09-09-2010, 03:43 AM
. . .they might lose 3 or 4 in conference.

OOC:

Southern - W
UIPUI - W
SDSU - W
K-State @ KC - L
Duke or Marquette - L
EWU - W
Illinois (BIS) - W
@WSU - W
@UND - L
LC State - W
Baylor @ Dallas- L
Xavier - L ( Pre-Christmas Coal in The Stocking )
Lafayette - W
Oke State - W
Wake - L ( 10 am PT = Doom ! )
Memphis - W **
Bakersfield - W **

11W - 6 L in OOC

UP - W
Pepp - W
LMU - W
@SCU - W
@USF - W
SMC - W
USD - W
@UP - W
@LMU - L
@Pepp - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - L
USD - W

12 W , 2 L in Conference, 23 - 8 Heading to Vegas, Not in the Top 25

* * OOC Games Played During the WCC Part of the Schedule

From a defensive standpoint, Zag fans are going to have to choose their poison. Either play zone to protect Rob from foul trouble and leave the perimeter shooting open. Or......play man to man to extend the guards out to defend the three and leave Rob exposed to opponents driving to the rim.

It is nothing short of crazy to be critical of Rob drawing fouls and allowing perimeter shots (unless they are happening at the same time). Especially if the Zags are shutting one aspect down at the expense of another. I can forsee a thread cycle on this board bouncing back and forth dependent upon the most recent "poison" seen. Knowing Few he is probably going to use both defenses depending on the opponent strengths.

So make your choice. Open threes or Rob's fouls. After making the choice, don't be so critical of the poison you have chosen.

I think Reno's prediction is rather realistic and anything better would be gravy. The Zags could even lose up to ten games this season. The schedule is very tough.

cjm720
09-09-2010, 06:34 AM
Good post, Mick. Guard the 3, I say!!!!!

I think we are going to be more than formidable all year. Top 10 good.

Pleasant Peninsula
09-09-2010, 07:57 AM
Southern - W
UIPUI - W
SDSU - W
K-State - W
EWU - W
Illinois - W
WSU - W
UND - W
LC State - W
Baylor - L
Xavier - W
Lafayette - W
Oke State - W
Wake - W
UP - W
Pepp - W
LMU - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - L
USD - W
UP - W
Memphis - W
LMU - W
Pepp - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - W
USD - W
Bakersfield - W

27-3

kitzbuel
09-09-2010, 09:10 AM
Southern - W
UIPUI - W
SDSU - W
K-State - L
Duke or Marquette - W
EWU - W
Illinois - W
WSU - L
UND - W
LC State - W
Baylor - L
Xavier - L
Lafayette - W
Ok State - W
Wake - W
UP - W
Pepp - W
LMU - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - W
USD - W
UP - W
Memphis - W
LMU - L
Pepp - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - L
USD - W
Bakersfield - W

25-6

X is gonna tough over X-mas. Good guards, good shooting.

SunDevilGolfZag
09-12-2010, 05:12 AM
Wins over ND, Wake, and Illinois but three losses going into conference tourney, including close one to Duke. Bouldin's scoring will be absorbed and we'll be clearly better than last year.

zag67
09-12-2010, 08:10 AM
Losses to: k-state, UND, Baylor and ????. In conference 2 losses, probably LMU and SCU. Therefore 6 losses, but realistically it could be closer to 8 to 10 losses. But if things went the other way, it could be 2 or 3 losses. (Yes I am hedging my bet with reallity and wishfull thinking). It will depend how fast they come together and if they get the correct chemistry and understand the roles they are being asked to play. There is only one basketball and so many minutes.

I just think it is great that we can be expecting them to be good enough to be having this conversation. The coaches have done a great job of reloading and when you look at next year, it is looking the same. Hopefully we can find the one big man to bring in to start the training process.

maineblackbear
09-12-2010, 01:47 PM
I predict an odd start to the year, but a very strong finish. My actual prediction is this:

Wins. Then I predict we will lose in Spokane to SDSU. Reeling, we will then lose to K-State. We will gather ourselves, find a way to beat Marquette, and then string off about 20 straight wins. We might lose at LMU; I am kind of agnostic about that, but I think its possible.

Then, we will lose in the elite eight.

MBB

primal23
09-13-2010, 10:46 AM
Southern Oregon - W
Southern - W
UIPUI - W
SDSU - W
K-State - L
Duke or Marquette - W
EWU - W
Illinois - L
WSU - W
UND - W
LC State - W
Baylor - L
Xavier - W
Lafayette - W
Ok State - W
Wake - W
UP - W
Pepp - W
LMU - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - W
USD - W
UP - W
Memphis - L
LMU - L
Pepp - W
SCU - W
USF - W
SMC - L
USD - W
Bakersfield - W

25-6 win the WCC tourney, 2nd round out in NCAA

RenoZag
10-21-2010, 07:09 PM
bump

MickMick
10-21-2010, 07:39 PM
Nice to see the bump :)

I stand by my predictions. Zags could be better than last season, but the schedule this year is the toughest in a long history of tough schedules. This is why the seeding predictions thread is a little out of whack. If the Zags go through this schedule with less than 5 losses, they are a lock for 3 seed or better. Less than five would have me convinced they belong there.

You gotta believe that a couple of final four teams are on that schedule. Combine that with a much improved WCC. Murderer's row type schedule.

RenoZag
11-02-2010, 02:53 PM

Mick's Mick's got a crystal ball or what ? In light of the talk of chaos at the PG position, people reading between the lines of Few's radio show, etc. . .

MickMick
11-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Mick's Mick's got a crystal ball or what ? In light of the talk of chaos at the PG position, people reading between the lines of Few's radio show, etc. . .

No crystal ball. Just some digital recordings from last season.

If I had a crystal ball, this (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=596485#post596485) is what mine would show....

JohnOGU
11-03-2010, 10:41 AM
I'm noticing a lot of people are putting losses to SMC...Not a chance.

I understand their guards were effective last year, but a large part of that was due to Omar. They're no where close to the same team.

surfmonkey89
11-03-2010, 03:29 PM
Eight losses, including the conf championship, which results in us getting an at-large bid and getting bounced in the first round.

scrabble08
11-04-2010, 09:58 AM
Nobody seems to be mentioning the fact that SDSU is going to run us out of our own building, we won't win many games on the road and K State, and either or Marquette/Duke are going to throttle us. We lose 3-4 conference games, and end up the 2 seed in the tourney behind LMU..

Baldwinzag
11-04-2010, 10:08 AM
My primary concern: first four games of the season.

Here's why---

If and I mean IF, Top-25 ranked San Diego St comes in our building and manages a victory, we'll be 1-1 heading to CBE to face #3 K-State.

Considering CBE Classic is in Kansas City, MO, this is essentially a home-game for K-State. If, and again I mean IF Kansas St takes us down on the road we'll move to 1-2 early on with a consolation game the next night vs Marquette.

As we're all aware, Marquette is one of the best programs in the Country and competitve in the Big-East every season. They have athletes and skilled players who will match up well against us. While Marquette may not be ranked yet, they have the horses to beat us if we whiff vs K-State.

If, and one more time IF Marquette shows up fired up after being spanked by Duke, they certainly have the capability of taking us down as well.

If that happens, we'll start the first week of the season 1-3. This is a relatively easy possibility if we don't BRING IT. We'd go from #12 to #42 in a blink of an eye.

Ok, Ok, I realize there are way too many IF's above and a definite overreaction, but I must admit this scenario has crossed my mind, especially considering Elias' isn't 100% and our familiar leader is gone. We'll know in a hurry....

upan8th
11-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Hate to think it, but B'winzag's scenario looks about right, especially w/Elia's shoulder question. Cost of inexperienced new guard play alone likely to be 2 or 3 Ls early on. Schedule is an absolute bear. Much of the preseason poster hype here sounds, I'm afraid, like vaporware.

Tend to believe Few's concerns are well founded and final four touters on the board are lovably delusional. If we make the dance after 10 Ls, an early exit as a nine seed would not surprise and a final four run would be shocking. THAT possibility seems more realistic in a year or so.

U Zig, I Zag
11-04-2010, 02:57 PM
Nobody seems to be mentioning the fact that SDSU is going to run us out of our own building, we won't win many games on the road and K State, and either or Marquette/Duke are going to throttle us. We lose 3-4 conference games, and end up the 2 seed in the tourney behind LMU..

Vernon? That you? Listen here Mr. Teel, I told you to stop posting on the Gonzaga board now, didn't I?

-Mama Teel

75Zag
11-04-2010, 03:00 PM
My supercomputer predicts 22 wins for Bulldogs going into Vegas.

Robzagnut
11-04-2010, 03:05 PM
Cost of inexperienced new guard play alone likely to be 2 or 3 Ls early on.

????

Gray is a senior and he is awesome. Why do people think he is going to regress? He has a great chance to be WCC Player of the Year. Meech is a junior. Arop will be in his second year. I don't see where the inexperienced guard play comes in?

Zag4Hire
11-05-2010, 07:06 AM
Southern - W
UIPUI - W
SDSU - L
@ K-State - L
Marquette - W
EWU - W
Illinois - W
@ WSU - W
@ Notre Dame - L
LC State - W
@ Baylor - L
Xavier - W
Lafayette - W
Oke State - W
@ Wake - L
UP - W
Pepp - W
LMU - W
@ SCU - W
@ USF - W
SMC - W
USD - W
@ UP - L
Memphis - W
@ LMU - W
@ Pepp - W
SCU - W
USF - W
@ SMC - W
@ USD - W
Bakersfield - W

25-6; A lot of big time teams on the road and until I see otherwise regarding ball possession or somebody stepping up as the leader of this team.

Baldwinzag
11-05-2010, 07:46 AM
For the record:

Southern - W
UIPUI - W
#24 SDSU - L
@ #3 K-State - L
Marquette - L
EWU - W
#14 Illinois - L
@ WSU - W
@ Notre Dame - L
LC State - W
@ #8 Baylor - L
Xavier - W
Lafayette - W
Okie State - W
@ Wake - W
UP - W
Pepp - W
LMU - W
@ SCU - W
@ USF - W
SMC - W
USD - W
@ UP - W
#13 Memphis - L
@ LMU - L
@ Pepp - W
SCU - W
USF - W
@ SMC - L
@ USD - W
Bakersfield - W

22-9; we stumble out the gates and take a somewhat surprising loss at home to SDSU, and go limping into the CBE. Unfortunately, we drop a close, hard fought, moral victory type game against #3 K-State and run outta gas in Marquette game and subsequently, lose a low-scoring, sloppy contest. We don't show up @ Notre Dame and Baylor proves to be too long, athletic, and bouncy for us to score many points in the paint. Following the early losses, we gain momentum through December and pick up some nice recovery wins at the first part of the year heading into WCC. We steam roll the first half of Conference play and don't lose again until we play a vastly-improved Memphis. Taking a gut punch vs Memphis, we're out of breathe heading on the road vs a fired up LMU who is chomping at the bit to beat us. They get their wish and we lose. We beat up on a couple more WCC bottom feeders and then face SMC on the road. The Gaels barely beat us on the road and we head into WCC Tourney with little to no chance for an at-large and required to win to get in. The good news is we win the WCC regular season by 1 game & follow it up by winning the WCC Tourney to receive an auto-bid for NCAA's. The committee rewards us for playing such a challenging schedule and reading the local headlines about Elias dealing with injury throughout the season & grant us a second consecutive 8 seed. We win the 1st game and exit the 2nd round vs #1 seed once again. The season is considered a success overall and expecations rec a reality check.

kitzbuel
11-29-2010, 03:24 AM
A quick review.

Ekrub
11-29-2010, 07:44 AM
Im am now changing my prediction from:

30-1 (loss being to Duke)

TO:

29-2 (losses being to SDSU and KSU)

Baldwinzag
01-21-2011, 02:21 PM
Thought it was time to revisit this thread from pre-season...interesting responses overall...worth a review.

Whalers86
01-21-2011, 07:38 PM
BobZag has only missed one game to date (SDSU) from his W/L prediction post in August - almost scary. He truly is the dark lord of the Zag....

Bocco
01-21-2011, 08:45 PM
BobZag has only missed one game to date (SDSU) from his W/L prediction post in August - almost scary. He truly is the dark lord of the Zag....

Actually BZ has missed two games - he had SDSU as a win, and Baylor as a loss - so his over all record for the Zags at this point in the season is spot on.

RenoZag
02-27-2011, 10:34 AM
My supercomputer predicts 22 wins for Bulldogs going into Vegas.

For the record: 22-9

My prognostication was off re: WCC Record:

12 W , 2 L in Conference, 22 - 9 Heading to Vegas, Not in the Top 25

The W-L details might have been skewed a bit, but the final tally is dead on. . .

Go Zags !

fedwayzag
02-27-2011, 01:45 PM
wow reno zag that is very good. We better win Monday to make it come true

Zagsker
02-27-2011, 02:17 PM

and Illinois....and Baylor

kitzbuel
02-27-2011, 07:05 PM
The W-L details might have been skewed a bit, but the final tally is dead on. . .

Go Zags !

Where is the conference prediction thread? I swore Angelo started one but I cannot dig it up.

lothar98zag
03-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Predicted 24-7 (12-2)
Actual 22-9 (13-3)

Predicted losses:
1 in Kansas City – YES
1 @WSU/@ND – PARTIAL (2L)
Baylor – nope
Wake – nope
1 to SanD St or X or OSU – YES
1 @ SMC or LMU – nope
1 random road WCC – PARTIAL (2L)

Totally missed:
Illinois
Memphis
Home WCC L

Had a gut feeling I was being too positive with my predictions. I guess I was right. (I am glad I wasn’t off by a lot!)