PDA

View Full Version : GU Attire

jscrk
08-19-2010, 05:14 PM
Today I was helping one of our children move into their dorm in a college in the midwest; I happened to be wearing a shirt that had "GU Basketball" on the shirt. One of the deans of the college read my shirt and told me what an awesome team GU is and how he cheers for GU during March Madness. He even pronounced Gonzaga correctly. I was just curious if anyone else on the board has had a similar experience wearing GU attire in other parts of the country.

ID ZAGFAN
08-19-2010, 05:34 PM
It happens to me all the time in all parts of the country and Canada. I did a blog of our Alaska trip this past May and June--must have mentioned 15 times that people talked to me about the Zags--and there were others I didn't mention. It is a lot of fun.

Another example--at a KOA campground in Missoula, wearing my Zag hoodie, a guy came up, gave me a high five, said "Go Zags!!", and talked to me--he was a 1969 (I think) Zag grad living in St. Louis. I told him to look up WooHoo, but I don't know if he did.

ZaGranny

gozagswoohoo
08-19-2010, 06:36 PM
What college in the Midwest? If u don't mind me asking...

I live in the midwest, and I wear zags gear at least 3 times a week I'd say. And yes, people say something every now and then, you're lucky though, I'd say when I get stopped, they pronounce the name correctly MAYBE 20% of the time!

I love getting stopped though. I'm very proud.

MBZags
08-19-2010, 06:43 PM
It has happened to me all the time in the Midwest and South. Random people will stop me to ask me about my connection to the school. My parents are also stopped a lot, and many people in Boston were curious about their connection to the Zags.

MedZag
08-19-2010, 06:43 PM
When I backpacked around Europe several years back, I would frequently get comments or "Go Zags!" when wearing my Gonzaga gear.

gozagswoohoo
08-19-2010, 06:54 PM
It has happened to me all the time in the Midwest and South. Random people will stop me to ask me about my connection to the school. My parents are also stopped a lot, and many people in Boston were curious about their connection to the Zags.

Yep, that is the most common question or comment. "What is your connection to Gonzaga?"

d2zag
08-19-2010, 07:58 PM
On a cruise to Mexico! I had my Gonzaga sweatshirt on, and a lady and her daughter walk into the elevator. She says to her daughter, "Hey look, it's a Gonzaga kid." We laughed and talked for a little bit.

ID ZAGFAN
08-19-2010, 08:10 PM
A couple of weeks ago we went into Sandpoint to Northwest Handmade (shameless plug for a great local business) to order a special table for our new (since last BB season) big screen TV. A guy ran up to me (I was wearing a Zag t-shirt), dragging another guy. "Show this guy your shirt--It's our favorite team. How do you pronounce it?" Me--"Gonzag(rhymes with rag)a" "What city is it in? Me--"Spokane (rhymes with man)". The guy was a Spokane guy with guests from Las Vegas who apparently could not pronounce either Gonzaga or Spokane.

What a kick! :D

ZaGranny

RenoZag
08-20-2010, 05:01 AM
People from Las Vegas people might as well live on Mars. . .

TexasZagFan
08-20-2010, 05:36 AM
Zags are big down here in Texas. Hoops fans love how we'll play anyone, anywhere.

Recently, the coach of the UNT hoops team spoke of creating a tradition in Denton similar to the Zags.

That's a mouthful, when you consider that UNT has over 30,000 full time students.

Robzagnut
08-20-2010, 07:18 AM
Been down to San Antonio numerous times, because that's where our training center is located. SA has held the Final Four twice since I started working at my current job. When I wear my GU attire I'll get a "Go Zags" or "Great team" comment every once in a while.

Can't understand it though, because when I wear my Pittsburgh Steelers t-shirts down there all I usually get is blank or dirty stares. :)

Cavebear33
08-20-2010, 08:15 AM
Took a loooong road trip this summer, which took me to Nova Scotia, New York and D.C among other sites. Wore Gonzaga gear a lot and had a number of comments. A lady in Regina, Saskatchewan was very excited and told me she roots for the Zags all the time. One fellow in D.C, walked up and said, "Spokane"? He was a California guy who knows the Zags. Another fellow in D.C. told me a friend of his got on an elevator with some of the team in East Lansing last year, and commented to him on what nice young men they all were. Of course there was that guy in a small town in Ontario that mangled the name, and asked why anyone would name a college that. Can't win 'em all.

MDABE80
08-20-2010, 11:31 AM
When I'm out there giving talks...NYC, DC, Iowa, TX, Ca... Neb ( I don't get much there as the Creighton people are just furious over their inability to put a program like the Zags have...jealousy I suppose) I always get questions. The biggest thing though is this: When the "ZAGS" logo is seen, it always generates a big smile. Many are curious and ask questions but I always get the smiles....like it's an inside joke. "ZAGS"...such a small word but it's the "brand" now and everyone knows it.... I sat on the FDA cardiorenal advisory board for years. About 10 years ago, I wore a Zags sweatshirt over the shirt. I was attacked by my fellow advisors wanting to know EVERYTHING about GU. Funny but the Physician in Chief at the Harvard Hospitals was the most curious.

Who would have ever thought such a small, catchy term would create all this! They DO love our basketball though. We've morphed majorly from that little school and that little team who shocked everyone. We were thought of as "quaint" but very surprising and, of course, dangerous. Well, we're still dangerous...maybe moreso..... but everyone knows us now. I don't think we'll surprise anyone anymore.

ZagFanInNC
08-20-2010, 11:37 AM
Pheonix AZ, the people we were staying with who as far as I know have no connection to Spokane or GU were telling me how they always cheer for Gonzaga. This was about 7 years ago after all the "cinderella" runs which is what got most of these random people excited about GU im sure.