PDA

View Full Version : Harris Will Remain At Gonzaga Until 2012

FrosTbear
08-18-2010, 12:10 PM
You go to work today and find a notice on the bulletin board that states “With declining revenues and the reduction of our customer base we will be closing the doors this Friday and your services are no longer needed. With this closure all current contracts are void”.

We hope to reopen soon but we will no longer work with your current UNION. As owners we will no longer accept 40% of the profits. We will now receive 60%. So every employee will make a smaller amount and every contract will be for a shorter time and less for maximum deals. Most of all, we the owners want a hard salary limit and assurances that protect us against a diminished economy. All new employees will go to a training company with a smaller salary for at least one year then if worthy they will be allowed to work for this company.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO…? Go somewhere else to work.

Well that is the same problem that every great college player will be faced with in September 2011. No where to work... No NBA… until they start again.

So as the pink slips WILL begin to be handed out we will enjoy another year or two of Mr. Harris taking us to the FINAL FOUR.

CDC84
08-18-2010, 12:27 PM
There's always Europe.

GUDan07
08-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the deceptive thread title and pointing out something that we were all already away of.

BobZag
08-18-2010, 01:57 PM
It will be interesting to see how it goes, though.

MickMick
08-18-2010, 02:18 PM
Wouldn't that be awesome?

I'm all for it. Would love to see him get a degree.

ZagNut08
08-18-2010, 02:19 PM
Go on unemployement. $450 a week for 99 weeks, thanks Uncle Sam.

sittingon50
08-18-2010, 02:20 PM
I agree with CDC; making money in Europe will be more of a viable option for EH than most player's (including NBA'ers).

willandi
08-18-2010, 06:01 PM
At some point, the courts will rule that a contract is a contract, and even if signed under an bargaining agreement that has expired, the contract remains valid. New players will be subject to a new agreement.

I heard a clip by Schlereth (sp), on ESPN and he said that as a starting offensive lineman for the Redskins, the owner called him in on a Friday before the game and said, "here is your new contract. If you don't sign it, we will release you on Monday, after you start the game on Sunday" (paraphrased from memory). I don't understand how that is not a violation of contract law, and I think at some point the owners will be called to account for that type of behavior.

That being said, I do think that most professional team oriented athletes are over-paid. I understand that as entertainers, they deserve a portion of the profits, but they haven't taken the gamble of signing themselves, and won't win or lose money depending on their own play. Maybe that is the answer. I also like the slotting system for signing draft picks. It would end hold outs, and be fairer to the current players. How a proven performer, with a few years of productive and proven service can be worth less than a high school, or one and done type is beyond me. Even the NFL system rewards on the possibility of performance, not the actuality.

End of rant, Thanks

bullzag23
08-19-2010, 10:40 AM
At some point, the courts will rule that a contract is a contract, and even if signed under an bargaining agreement that has expired, the contract remains valid. New players will be subject to a new agreement.

I heard a clip by Schlereth (sp), on ESPN and he said that as a starting offensive lineman for the Redskins, the owner called him in on a Friday before the game and said, "here is your new contract. If you don't sign it, we will release you on Monday, after you start the game on Sunday" (paraphrased from memory). I don't understand how that is not a violation of contract law, and I think at some point the owners will be called to account for that type of behavior.

That being said, I do think that most professional team oriented athletes are over-paid. I understand that as entertainers, they deserve a portion of the profits, but they haven't taken the gamble of signing themselves, and won't win or lose money depending on their own play. Maybe that is the answer. I also like the slotting system for signing draft picks. It would end hold outs, and be fairer to the current players. How a proven performer, with a few years of productive and proven service can be worth less than a high school, or one and done type is beyond me. Even the NFL system rewards on the possibility of performance, not the actuality.

End of rant, Thanks

I don't believe the lockout here has anything to do with potential contract disputes signed under the current CBA, that's why so many players were looking for big, extended deals this summer so they wouldn't have to worry about their futures after the lockout as those contracts signed beforehand will be honored. The dispute is based on the owners wanting a larger portion of the revenue the league brings in to protect themselves in hard economic times. It's tough to disagree with them at this point considering how players' salaries have skyrocketed over the past 2 decades or so.

MDABE80
08-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Love to see Eli stay with us. Only the Lebron/Koby types will have super salaries. The rest of the players will have to "settle" for "normal" salaries ( Normal is still astronomical). Because Eli is a 6 ft 7 in player, he might be hardpressed to even make an NBA team.....even with his fantastic athleticism. Surely he'll be a "3" in the league if he makes it. He's a superior college player...not so sure about NBA. Euro ball will claim him....no doubt.

Given what's going on in the college ranks...what with those incredible frosh coming in each year, I'm not sure our kid would even make an all-freshman team for the country. I'd love see him stay with us. If he does, I doubt it'll be because of big or little money. He'll stay because he wants to stay. Then again, he does like a high level of competition....in the WCC that will be a question mark.