PDA

View Full Version : GU ESPN Schedule

Angelo Roncalli
08-17-2010, 12:38 PM
SAN BRUNO, Calif. (August 17, 2010 – http://www.gozags.com) – Gonzaga University’s men’s basketball team will have five West Coast Conference games televised on the ESPN family of stations during the upcoming season according to the schedule released Tuesday by WCC Commissioner Jamie Zaninovich.

The Bulldogs will open the WCC schedule with three straight home games Jan. 8 against the University of Portland, Jan. 13 against Pepperdine University and Jan. 15 against Loyola Marymount University. Gonzaga will play five of its first seven WCC contests at home, and conclude the WCC regular season on the road Feb. 24 at Saint Mary’s College and Feb. 26 at the University of San Diego.

The first ESPN appearance for the Bulldogs in WCC play will be at Santa Clara University Jan. 20 on ESPNU with the time still to be determined. The Bulldogs will have four games televised on ESPN2 during WCC play – Jan. 27 at home against Saint Mary’s, Feb. 3 at the University of Portland, Feb. 10 at Loyola Marymount University and Feb. 24 at Saint Mary’s College. All four of the ESPN2 games will begin at 8 p.m. PST.

Gonzaga also has a minimum of seven other games to be televised on the ESPN family. Gonzaga’s home game Nov. 16 against San Diego State University as part of the College Basketball Experience Regional Round of games will be televised on ESPN2 at 8 p.m. PST and be a part of ESPN’s 24-Hour Marathon. Both Gonzaga games in the CBE Championship Round from Kansas City, Mo., will be televised, including the first game against Kansas State University Nov. 22 at 6:30 p.m. PST on ESPN2. The consolation game (ESPNU) and championship game (ESPN2) the next day will also be televised.

The Battle in Seattle from KeyArena Dec. 4 has the Bulldogs facing the University of Illinois on ESPN at 2:15 p.m. PST. The Bulldogs and Baylor University will meet in The Showcase in Dallas, Texas, Dec. 18 on ESPN2 at 1:30 p.m. PST.

Gonzaga returns home Dec. 22 to face Xavier University in another ESPN2 battle at 8 p.m. PST, hosts Oklahoma State University New Year’s Eve on ESPN2 at 7 p.m. PST and entertains the University of Memphis Feb. 5 in the Spokane Arena in the Ronald McDonald House Charities Classic at 1 p.m. PST on either ESPN or ESPN2.

The WCC schedule includes a 24-game national television package as announced by the ESPN family of networks.

“Our unique relationship with ESPN is essential to our efforts to raise the national profile of the West Coast Conference and our institutions,” Zaninovich said. “In addition to having a weekly slot on ‘Thursday Night Showcase’ during the conference season, we are pleased our institutions will have the chance to take on some of the elite programs in the nation on the ESPN family of networks.”

There will be a total of 17 conference games on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPNU in 2010-11, including the Zappos.com WCC Basketball Championship semifinals on ESPN2 on Sunday, March 6 and the championship game on ESPN on Monday, March 7 from The Orleans Arena in Las Vegas
The remainder of Gonzaga’s television schedule and game times will be announced as they become finalized.

2011 Gonzaga University West Coast Conference Schedule
(Some times and television TBA)

January 8 – Portland; 13 – Pepperdine; 15 – Loyola Marymount; 20 at Santa Clara (ESPNU); 22 – at San Francisco; 27 – Saint Mary’s (ESPN2), 8 p.m.; 29 – San Diego.

February 3 – at Portland (ESPN2), 8 p.m.; 10 – at Loyola Marymount (ESPN2), 8 p.m.; 12 – at Pepperdine; 17 – Santa Clara; 19 – San Francisco; 24 – at Saint Mary’s (ESPN2), 8 p.m.; 26 – at San Diego.

Drew
08-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Wake? Notre Dame?

Angelo Roncalli
08-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Wake? Notre Dame?

Those are home games for Wake and ND and are not part of the WCC's deal with ESPN.

CDC84
08-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Wake Forest is likely going to be an ACC Sunday Night Hoops game on FSN.

gozagswoohoo
08-17-2010, 01:25 PM
Oh...what I long way we have traveled...

BobZag
08-17-2010, 01:56 PM
Too many 8:00's. Blech. Too late. This geezer needs his beauty sleep.

Kiddwell
08-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Wake Forest is likely going to be an ACC Sunday Night Hoops game on FSN.

That's cool. More national exposure in something (kind of) akin to GameDay on ESPN. In which case, make that cool and two-thirds.

:]

gozagswoohoo
08-17-2010, 02:14 PM
Too many 8:00's. Blech. Too late. This geezer needs his beauty sleep.

How do you think I feel?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

That's 10 o'clock!! Games will be ending after midnight!! UGHH

sofa king
08-17-2010, 02:44 PM
Here's to hoping our local broadcasts have made the HD jump this year. Come on KHQ!

GUDan07
08-17-2010, 03:14 PM
Do not underestimate how HUGE this is for us in terms of recruiting. Kids are constantly being exposed to our program through this medium and the program is being compensated for it monetarily as well. I hope this never ends for us.

U Zig, I Zag
08-17-2010, 03:24 PM
Here's to hoping our local broadcasts have made the HD jump this year. Come on KHQ!

Not a chance... they bought an analog truck for a small fortune when everyone was getting ready for HD and that's what we are stuck with. :mad:

ZagNative
08-17-2010, 04:09 PM
Here's to hoping our local broadcasts have made the HD jump this year. Come on KHQ!+1!!! Just got my first HD TV delivered yesterday! Can't wait to see my Zags in HD.

FWIW, here's my first draft of the schedule in table format, showing TV only for the ESPN games. It's probably buggy, so caveat emptor. I assume most of the remaining west coast games will be on KHQ/FSN. SSF will likely have an easy-to-read schedule up soon as well.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/Fullscreencapture817201045710PMbmp.jpg

Drew
08-17-2010, 04:59 PM

Once I started watching those games broadcast in HD, it became much harder to watch the SD games.

nonzagzag
08-17-2010, 05:12 PM
Not a chance... they bought an analog truck for a small fortune when everyone was getting ready for HD and that's what we are stuck with. :mad:

Jeepers, some people have phones that record HD video now, it's gotta be waaay cheaper to get some HD equipment now than it was a couple years ago!

jazzdelmar
08-17-2010, 06:03 PM
looks like a lot of non cable coverage.

phillyzag, u still up to hooking us up? hello, phillyzag???

ZagNative
08-17-2010, 06:08 PM

phillyzag, u still up to hooking us up? hello, phillyzag???There should be lots of decent KHQ/FSN coverage that most cable sports paks will pick up. I just didn't list it here because I assume there will be a few exhibition/low-profile games that will be available in Spokane only. I'll wait until gozags shows the complete schedule with time and TV.

willandi
08-17-2010, 06:57 PM
I like your attitude...the winner of the Marquette/Duke game!!:)

UberZagFan
08-17-2010, 08:47 PM
Uber loves the 8:00 p.m. starts! Just enough time to get home, fix the kids dinner and put them to bed!

All this Zags in HD talk and no comment from 229Sinto? ::::surprised::::

OZZY
08-17-2010, 11:27 PM
Slightly off topic, but will the Zags have a scrimmage with Texas again this year? That would be a lot of Canadian talent under one roof! Actually that could be the starting Canadian National team lineup in 6 years,

Cory Joseph
Manny Arop
Tristan Thompson
Kelly Olynyk
Rob Sacre.

:)

gozagswoohoo
08-18-2010, 06:30 AM
How long until we have the finalized, confirmed, and complete zags schedule? Or do we already...?

229SintoZag
08-18-2010, 07:58 AM
Uber loves the 8:00 p.m. starts! Just enough time to get home, fix the kids dinner and put them to bed!

All this Zags in HD talk and no comment from 229Sinto? ::::surprised::::

I have nothing to add. Can we hope for the KHQ/ESPN2 games from the Kennel to be in HD? Yes, we can.

Can we expect it? Nope.

Can we be pleasantly surprised if KHQ does the right thing and starts broadcasting like it is 2010 instead of 1990? Who knows. Hope springs eternal.

I agree with the comment above that getting your HD set and signal, and seeing a good game in HD (such as CBS's games in HD), makes watching in SD on your HD set afterward very, very frustrating. It feels like you are watching the game with someone else's prescription glasses on.

If we can get Poker from Vegas in HD 24/7, and if I can get freaking Greg Heister's fly fishing show in HD, I really don't think there is an excuse not to get Gonzaga basketball in HD with Greg Heister behind the mic.

sonuvazag
08-18-2010, 08:33 AM
I have nothing to add. Can we hope for the KHQ/ESPN2 games from the Kennel to be in HD? Yes, we can.

Can we expect it? Nope.

Can we be pleasantly surprised if KHQ does the right thing and starts broadcasting like it is 2010 instead of 1990? Who knows. Hope springs eternal.

I agree with the comment above that getting your HD set and signal, and seeing a good game in HD (such as CBS's games in HD), makes watching in SD on your HD set afterward very, very frustrating. It feels like you are watching the game with someone else's prescription glasses on.

If we can get Poker from Vegas in HD 24/7, and if I can get freaking Greg Heister's fly fishing show in HD, I really don't think there is an excuse not to get Gonzaga basketball in HD with Greg Heister behind the mic.
We should start a fund.

U Zig, I Zag
08-18-2010, 08:36 AM

Can we expect it? Nope.

all the work happens in the truck outside the Kennel. That truck is old and not outfitted to bring the HD stuff all together. A flyfishing show can be recorded on a $1000 digital SLR camera, compiled and presented in HD later. If we want the games live, they are going to be SD.

When ESPN or CBS comes to town they bring their own trucks or rent some from someplace. KHQ would have to be making some big bucks on each game to be bothered to lease a truck for each home game.

I know some people involved and can find out if there is a plan for something 'new' this season. Sounds like people are interested to find out.

229SintoZag
08-18-2010, 09:35 AM
all the work happens in the truck outside the Kennel. That truck is old and not outfitted to bring the HD stuff all together. A flyfishing show can be recorded on a $1000 digital SLR camera, compiled and presented in HD later. If we want the games live, they are going to be SD.

When ESPN or CBS comes to town they bring their own trucks or rent some from someplace. KHQ would have to be making some big bucks on each game to be bothered to lease a truck for each home game.

I know some people involved and can find out if there is a plan for something 'new' this season. Sounds like people are interested to find out.

Not always true. During conference season, many of the ESPN games appear to be games on SD where ESPN just uses KHQ equipment. I am not sure this is what is done, but I have always assumed so. When ESPN came for real for Wake last year it was in HD. Same for the Arena game the year before against Memphis for Gameday. But generally once January hits, our WCC games on ESPN have not historically been in HD. Which is embarassing.

Please do find out what the deal is if you can--we'd all like to know. I can now record in HD on my iphone and stream it live to the web. Seems to me that somehow KHQ could get a live HD feed out if it was a priority of theirs. If this was 2005 I may feel differently but life has moved on and it is now 2010. Time for KHQ to get with the program, and for GU to insist that they do so as part of the contract.

MDABE80
08-18-2010, 10:08 AM
Quite the TV schedule.
KHQ's images are simply inferior and do hearken back to the 70's in technology/image quality. No imporvement since. GU deserves better. Zig.....it's not as hard as you portray......not when/if a philospohical committment to the best images for the best show in town is present.

Meanwhile, recruits, alums, etc will see a spectacular array of games this year. Just stunning. It seems like the Zags have figured out a way to incorporate the best OOC games from last season and added some impressive new games.

U Zig, I Zag
08-18-2010, 10:50 AM
Not always true. During conference season, many of the ESPN games appear to be games on SD where ESPN just uses KHQ equipment. I am not sure this is what is done, but I have always assumed so. When ESPN came for real for Wake last year it was in HD. Same for the Arena game the year before against Memphis for Gameday. But generally once January hits, our WCC games on ESPN have not historically been in HD. Which is embarassing.

Please do find out what the deal is if you can--we'd all like to know. I can now record in HD on my iphone and stream it live to the web. Seems to me that somehow KHQ could get a live HD feed out if it was a priority of theirs. If this was 2005 I may feel differently but life has moved on and it is now 2010. Time for KHQ to get with the program, and for GU to insist that they do so as part of the contract.

Yah, when they are 'ESPN' games that are 'big' they bring in a truck. But certainly, during the WCC games where KHQ is actually producing it I am sure that ESPN just provides the talent/talking heads.

I will see if anyone knows of any changes afoot...

ps, it is very embarrassing when we are the big Monday late game or whatever and it says ESPN up and down both sides of the screen (to extend our grainy 4:3 to 16:9 of the HD broadcast).

I wouldn't trade it for anything to be SMC in the tiny gym with bad lights (a little better now), bad uni's and Samhan as the local hero... :D

baitcast
08-18-2010, 11:44 AM
Its amazing to me how the Zags have been excepted by the public,I understand how it is with me,just in the last week while at the store I,ve had two strangers walk up to me and ask " what kind of year are the Zags going to have? " I really miss Ammo don,t you" and this is in the middle of nowhere I love it but don,t really understand do you?
Rob

Zag Man
08-18-2010, 12:02 PM

Last year, Phillyzag saved me by giving me "my fix" of Gonzaga basketball when we were not able to view some of the games. I really hope he "steps up" again and gives us poor souls not in the Spokane area the Zags games we cannot get on our cable networks. Please!

jazzdelmar
08-18-2010, 01:23 PM
Last year, Phillyzag saved me by giving me "my fix" of Gonzaga basketball when we were not able to view some of the games. I really hope he "steps up" again and gives us poor souls not in the Spokane area the Zags games we cannot get on our cable networks. Please!

+1

NotoriousZ
08-19-2010, 05:45 AM
It doesn't sound like KHQ has any plans whatsoever in joining us in the new millenium. What we need are more generous donors to buy the HD equipment for the school and rent it out at a resonable rate to KHQ and ESPN if they need it when they come to town.

I realize this is an enormous amount of money, so it would take many donors to accomplish this. Wealthy Zag fans, come together! Sounds like a great tax right off people. :D

jazzdelmar
08-19-2010, 06:22 AM
how about a GU app for ipads and iphones that for a price offers all live games? i'd pay anything. i get mlb.com for under $100 and its great. or how bout a wcc app? lets encourage the neanderthal admins to think outside the box. conference realignment is so old paradigm.....its all they know, actually.

titopoet
08-19-2010, 06:22 AM
For TV coverage on GU/ND, my pure speculative guess is CBS. Too big a game not to be national, and it at the right day for CBS.

ZagMan in Philly
08-19-2010, 06:38 AM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
I will always try to stream the games as much as i can.....
how are you doing Jazz? I am resting up for the upcoming season, November is not here soon enough. Long days of summer. BTW, I am trying to determine which game to go and see the Zags, either in Kansas City, Dallas, or Ndame...wish i could go to all, but hope to see at least one game in person.

Go Zags!

Zag Man
08-19-2010, 06:59 AM
how are you doing Jazz? I am resting up for the upcoming season, November is not here soon enough. Long days of summer. BTW, I am trying to determine which game to go and see the Zags, either in Kansas City, Dallas, or Ndame...wish i could go to all, but hope to see at least one game in person.

Go Zags!

You're the Man! That would be greatly appreciated!

gozagswoohoo
08-19-2010, 08:27 AM

Go Zags!

Send me a PM when you find out what game you will be at! I'll be at possibly both the KC and ND games! We'll meet up. I know of at least 3 other board members going!

jazzdelmar
08-19-2010, 09:30 AM

Go Zags!

phil: if u ever get out here for the usd game, stay with us.....