"You cannot shut Robert Sacre up." Reviews of Rob's Performance in Toronto v. France

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZagNative
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

"You cannot shut Robert Sacre up." Reviews of Rob's Performance in Toronto v. France

They're all abuzz back northeast about Canadian big man Rob Sacre.

Toronto Star
    A group effort lifts Canada

Don’t expect to be impressed with the names on jerseys when you tune in to see Canada at the World Basketball championships later this month in Turkey.

That’s not what this team is about. And to a man, every person wearing a jersey is more than fine with that.

There is no one guy who is going to take this team on his shoulders and get them to where they want to be. That’s a fact.

But as a unit, this group feels they can collectively get the job done.
    “I think we have to be more physical and I think we can be,” Rautins said. “That has to be our staple. We have to be a team that gets after you and makes everything difficult for you for us to have a chance.

“I think we have the players that can do it.”

And Rautins knows exactly who can set the physical tone for his team.

“Robert did a great job out there,” Rautins said of 7-foot centre Robert Sacre. “He’s like the energizer bunny. He’s talking all the time. It’s a huge asset for Joel, if he needs a blow, Robert is there.”

But what has Rautins really jazzed about this 21-year-old Gonzaga student who hails from B.C. is his attitude.

“Shaquille O’Neal could walk in the room and he would just say, ‘Let’s go.,’” Rautins said. “He doesn’t care. There is no fear and I like that. I like his energy and the fact that he just wants to play.”

Asked after the game the last time he remembers being intimidated, Sacre reacted like he had just been offered a bottle of prune juice.

“Intimidated? There’s no such thing as being intimidated. Come on now,” he said. “You have to be ready to fight anybody.”

And to look at Sacre, he is— from the time his alarm clock goes off until he closes his eyes for the night.

“I hope we see the U.S. and Spain and all top teams (in Turkey),” he said. “This team is tight and I’m not worried about anybody on this team. We’re all ready to fight. “

From the Montreal Gazatte:
    Canada wins ugly in hoops tune-up

TORONTO — You cannot shut Robert Sacre up.

The Canadian national basketball team centre has confessed to making life difficult for his teachers, chirping through their classes. Opponents, surely, get tired of his chatter. Even his teammates get frustrated.

“He’s like an Energizer bunny,” head coach Leo Rautins said of the excitable 21-year-old big man after a 69-58 win over France at the Air Canada Centre last night. “He’s talking all the time. At one point, Joel (Anthony, the team’s starting centre) even looked at me. He goes, ‘He just doesn’t stop.’ ”

It is on nights such these that Sacre is especially useful. With just 2,652 fans on hand in the 19,800-seat arena for the first national team game at Air Canada Centre in more than a half-decade, crowd noise was at a minimum.
    So, the team will need to make its name on grit and defence, and that was in effect in the first of two games on successive nights against France.

In a game that lacked much aesthetic appeal — a few air balls, along with a shot off of the side of the backboard — the two Canadian big men held their own inside. Of course, France helped out, turning the ball over 17 times in the 40-minute game. But Anthony’s shot blocking and Sacre’s elbow-swinging rebounding style made the paint an uncomfortable place to be.

Sacre collected a team-high six rebounds while Anthony had a pair of blocks.

“I think we have to be more physical,” Leo Rautins said, challenging his team. “I think we’re capable of being much more physical than we played tonight. That has to be a staple. We have to be a team that gets after you and makes everything difficult for you. Otherwise we’re not going to have a chance.”

Read more: http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...#ixzz0wSPHAngf
    National Post
    Talk is cheap for national team

TORONTO — As halftime wound down Thursday night, Canadian centre Robert Sacre, the gregarious Gonzaga student, came bounding back to his bench. He offered a love tap to a few of his teammates, his ever-present grin, well, present.

It is nights like Thursday when Sacre is especially useful. He creates his own energy, and as Canada played France in a warm-up game leading up to the world Championship later this month, there was not much energy in the Air Canada Centre. (There were only, in fact, 2,652 fans.)

Players such as Sacre and the Miami Heat’s Joel Anthony t might have to define the Canadian team in Turkey. As evidenced by their 69-58 win in the first of two games against France, they will not always be able to count on their offence.

In a game that lacked much aesthetic appeal — it had a few airballs and a shot off of the side of the backboard — the two Canadian big men held their own inside. Of course, France helped out, turning the ball over 17 times. But Anthony’s shot blocking and Sacre’s elbow-swinging rebounding style made the paint an uncomfortable place to be.

Read more: http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/T...#ixzz0wSQLek5f
    • Feb 2007

The camera loved Rob Sacre at this game. More photos here.

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
      Banned
      • Feb 2007

That attendace figure is pathetic.

Comment

• ZagNative
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
        So nothing to say about our guy and a nice performance for Canada, huh?

Comment

• CB4
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2009

Originally posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
          Most TO sports fans who would consider going to watch international exhibition basketball against France in the heat of summer were probably at the Red Sox/Jays game.

Big Rob seems to be taking the lead here, with MEN and NBA players. This is a really good sign for the 2010-2011 season. If Rob is our leader then we're going to be in great shape!

Comment

• WeSayZed
            Kennel Club Material
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by CB4 View Post
            Most TO sports fans who would consider going to watch international exhibition basketball against France in the heat of summer were probably at the Red Sox/Jays game.
            There are 5 million people in the GTA and there were 36,000 at the Blue Jays game, but what you say is actually not that far from the truth. Toronto is a terrible, terrible, sports town. Couch-potato city. I would nominate it as the worst sports city with a population over 1 million in North America.

Comment

• OZZY
              Zag for Life
              • Aug 2009

The turnout is very dissapointing that is true. I am sure they would have got more in places like Halifax, Kamloops or Prince George!

Its actually amazing to see the difference between cities. Melbourne is the most amazing sports city I know of. They can get 80,000 plus fans to a "Australian Rules" football game between two teams from neighbouring suburbs, while there may be another two games being played in the metro area at the same afternoon that draw crowds of over 40,000 each.

Comment

• Zerogame
                Professional Zag Fan
                • Oct 2007

Originally posted by ZagNative View Post
                So nothing to say about our guy and a nice performance for Canada, huh?
                So, when Gonzaga goes into a hostile arena this upcoming season Rob, Elias, Sam, and Kelly won't be s**t themselves in the locker room before the game?
                These guys are going to have attitude this year, lots of it. Oh, did I forget the Tasmanian Devil, Meech?
                "Neck-ties are just maxi pads for your throat." - Ted Williams

Comment

• ZagNative
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

There are a ton of great photos of Rob out there! This photo album on the Toronto Star site has a number of them.

Three of my faves:

Robert Sacre of Team Canada drives past Ali Traore of Team France in the first half.

Robert Sacre of Team Canada shoots past Ali Traore of Team France in the first half of action at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto August 12, 2010. Team Canada won 69-58

Team Canada celebrates their win against Team France.

Comment

• ZagNative
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

The press loves big Rob! More today, from the Globe and Mail:
                    Canada pounds France in hoops exhibition

Rookie centre Sacre oozes the fearlessness and combativeness that head coach Rautins says his team needs.
                    Sacre is part of a young crop of players that Rautins says he began recruiting back in 2006, with the aim of seeing them get away from disappointments in the past. “The whole thing is, we’re building for the future, I think now we’re starting to compete at a really high level,” Rautins said.

Part of that success is their physical defence, something he’s been relying on Sacre to provide off the bench. He led the team in rebounds on Friday and contributed 8 points in 18 minutes of play.
                    “Look at him,” said Rautins, pointing to Sacre chattering at his teammates as they shot the ball around after the morning practice.

“He just doesn’t shut up. Intimidation doesn’t exist to him. And you could see him at 7 o’clock in the morning, and he’s like that. He just doesn’t stop.”

He continues: “The funny thing is, if there’s one thing I’d say about our group over the past few years, and a lot of it had to do with being young, and maybe a little insecure… we were quiet.”

“I’ve told guys – I want you to start a fight in the locker room. Throw a bottle at someone, just to get something going. Because we’re too calm,” he said.

“Robert changed that.”

Comment

• asoc
                      Kennel Club Alum
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by WeSayZed View Post
                      There are 5 million people in the GTA and there were 36,000 at the Blue Jays game, but what you say is actually not that far from the truth. Toronto is a terrible, terrible, sports town. Couch-potato city. I would nominate it as the worst sports city with a population over 1 million in North America.
                      I don't know.

Toronto FC does really well in Toronto, and this is the first year they are actually doing decent. They sell out capacity every game at 22k. They have a season ticket waiting list of probably around 15k. 15 regular season home games. Then throw in Canadian Championship games, CONCACAF Champions league games and friendlies with big international teams. Seems like Toronto loves Soccer at least. And they aren't exactly sit on your hands type of fans.

Then there is the Maple Leafs...

Comment

Working...
                      X