PDA

View Full Version : Future WCC Tournaments

BobZag
05-15-2007, 09:37 AM
In Las Vegas at the Orleans--

http://www.orleansarena.com/main.html

It is looking more and more likely that the WCC Tournament will be a permanent fixture in Las Vegas. The coaches, ADs and Prez's will all be touring this facility in the very near future, ie, this spring and summer. The Orleans is eager to have it and six of the eight WCC schools are favoring the idea. GU favors it. By no means is it a for-sure thing, but a neutral court every year, in a vacation destination city, would be an upgrade from the current format and bring more attention to the conference. The logistics are good. Personally, I hope it happens.

former1dog
05-15-2007, 09:40 AM
Yeah!!! I'm all for it!

Angelo Roncalli
05-15-2007, 10:00 AM
This is great news.

It's fair. There's no "sleep in your bed" homecourt advantage that a site in the Bay Area or SoCal would have for local teams.

It's easy to get there. You can travel and stay cheap, depending on what you're willing to put up with. There's lots to do.

And, as A13coach knows, they have "free cocktails!"

Zagdawg
05-15-2007, 11:06 AM
Very nice!!

Vegas was a blast when we went to watch the Zags play Georgia Tech a few years back--

I need a late winter trip each year------

DenDiegoZag
05-15-2007, 11:12 AM
Taking it to a city that provides no advantage to any team is a good step. Additionally, it will be nice for our tournament to have some "additional" spectators in town that could get a buzz going around some of the games involving the other WCC teams. I mean we all know that the GU fans travel well, but hopefully we will pull some random folks away from the craps tables and into the Portland vs. LMU Quarterfinal Matchup...

UberZagFan
05-15-2007, 11:32 AM
What can I get on a futures for GU taking the WCC tourney next year?

gamagin
05-15-2007, 11:37 AM
would indeed be a fine place for a permanent location, but damnit I would LOVE to see it make it to Spokane more than just ONCE before a permanent location is set.

I have no financial stake in anything related to hosting the WCC, but we in Spokaloo have finally, after decades (a century, even) have the locations, the beds and the means and THE CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM to qualify to handle such an event.

Las vegas has more of everything but we have enough of everything to qualify and so I hate to see it happen before we get to showcase not only the dominant team in the WCC, but a really neat city and citizenry and fan base, too.

As a resident skeptic for many decades, those who know me would agree, I believe, that I am no cheerleader for Spokane. But this time, the hat fits because it has been made to fit.

And I hate to turn the effort and the profits over to Las Vegas, which I have visited at least 50 times but never considered it home to anything, except some of my money.

sittingon50
05-15-2007, 11:37 AM
We talked about this sometime before & I still have the same hesitation; if the Zags (currently the #1 WCC fanbase) get upset before the final, the televised Championship will be embarassingly sparsely attended (as was the Big Sky Champ. in Portland) a few years back. Bad TV; bad publicity.

gamagin
05-15-2007, 11:46 AM
drum for long, BUT that has changed, too, with the upgrades of facilities and hotels and general appeal.

Look at the US skating championships. Pre olympic tryouts. The promotions of lots of events over the years.

Look at the promotion, the local cooperation and the civic and even newspaper involvement that goes into such events.

Look at the pre sales that would be involved and look at the TV exposure and so forth.

GU could, indeed be eliminated and the fan base could drop off. but if the seats are sold out, there are many ways to keep people in the seats, should it come to that.

in L.V., the same thing could happen.

I don't think the WCC playoffs hav a rep for huge crowds, anyway, does it ? It seems even in Portland, when GU played SCU, it wasn't sold out, if I recall.

In any event, with T.V. it would be the game moreso than the attendance that would really swell the crowds. and this city could greatly benefit from the exposure it now deserves, imo.

And in Spokane, there is so much espirit d'corps, that I believe we would fill that place, like we did against Memphis, if we got the chance. And keep it full.

sonuvazag
05-15-2007, 11:47 AM
hopefully we will pull some random folks away from the craps tables and into the Portland vs. LMU Quarterfinal Matchup...make this a fun run charity event and call it:
The Craps Challenge.

a13coach
05-15-2007, 11:49 AM
This is great news.

It's fair. There's no "sleep in your bed" homecourt advantage that a site in the Bay Area or SoCal would have for local teams.

It's easy to get there. You can travel and stay cheap, depending on what you're willing to put up with. There's lots to do.

And, as A13coach knows, they have "free cocktails!"

Angelo you have me confused with TT, you know the one who sat down at a blackjack table just to get a beer, the waitress immediately took his order but was slow to return and by the time she returned with the beer he lost $20. :lmao:

I was the poor shmuck who got sunburned at a pre-season ball game in Tucson because I was nursing a hellacious hang-over due to our activities the night before. If TJ hasn't told you that story ask him about the night at Daddy Jack's.

Nevtelen
05-15-2007, 12:14 PM
would indeed be a fine place for a permanent location, but damnit I would LOVE to see it make it to Spokane just ONCE before a permanent location is set.

I have no financial stake in anything related to hosting the WCC, but we in Spokaloo have finally, after decades (a century, even) have the locations, the beds and the means and THE CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM to qualify to handle such an event.

Las vegas has more of everything but we have enough of everything to qualify and so I hate to see it happen before we get to showcase not only the dominant team in the WCC, but a really neat city and citizenry and fan base, too.

As a resident skeptic for many decades, those who know me would agree, I believe, that I am no cheerleader for Spokane. But this time, the hat fits because it has been made to fit.

And I hate to turn the effort and the profits over to Las Vegas, which I have visited at least 50 times but never considered it home to anything, except some of my money.

Don't you remember the 05/06 championships? Those were in Spokane. It'd be nice to have it again, but it was actually done once since we've had K2.

GonzagaGurl08
05-15-2007, 12:28 PM
That was the game that JP injured his quad. Being in Pep Band for the host team, they had us under the basket by the team locker room. I was on the side closest to the tunnel, and poor JP was on the stationary bike the whole game keeping loose. He was such a trooper.

Shanachie
05-15-2007, 01:51 PM
I have to say I am a lot less enthusiastic than most of the posters so far. I wouldn't say I'm against it, but I hope there's a short term commitment before any binding long-term agreements are entered.

I have my doubts that the the stands will be filled for non-marquee games. (That's pretty much the current situation, too, so it's not a deal killer for sure.) In the short term, I do think more schools' fans might attend the tourney because the downside of having your team lose the first game is not so bad when you're in a destination city like Las Vegas. However, I also think that the newness will wear off in a year or two for a lot of people, so that might not continue. Same goes for the locals. The first year, you might have some local residents attend, but in subsequent years, why should they go to a tournament that doesn't have any local teams?

My lukewarm response is probably colored by my own views of Las Vegas. Unlike most people, I actually find it to be a depressing place to visit. It's odd, because I like to bet and I like to have fun, and the city is second to none for people watching. Somehow, though, I'm always left feeling depressed when I'm actually there. Something about it just makes me feel like it's not a good place. At least I have fifteen years before I have to worry about my kids going there on spring break!

CDC84
05-15-2007, 02:20 PM
I share some of Shanachie's concerns about the Vegas novelty factor eventually wearing off. If I were the WCC, I wouldn't sign up for any long term commitment. The first couple of years could prove to be fool's gold, because the attendance figures will likely be the best in the tourney's history. Fans and students from all over will want to go because it is the new, hip, exciting thing to do. It will make all of the organizers and head honchos feel as if the right decision was made. But I really want to see what the stands look like after the 4th or 5th year of it being in Vegas.

That all being said, if the Vegas thing will put an end to the endless bickering and conference politics, I'm all for it as an alternative. It's worth a try. I just would be very cautious about declaring it a massive, earth shattering success after the first couple of tournaments.

BoltZag
05-15-2007, 02:21 PM
but damnit I would LOVE to see it make it to Spokane just ONCE before a permanent location is set.

I'm sorry, is it just me, or was the tourney there 2 years ago? Since some trendy new downtown condos and few restaurants have been added since then, Spokane is suddenly the ideal location for the WCC?

hopefully we will pull some random folks away from the craps tables and into the Portland vs. LMU Quarterfinal Matchup...

I certainly wouldn't put any money on that. Especially considering your Vegas reputation, DDZ.

RenoZag
05-15-2007, 02:32 PM
Viva Las Vegas !

Maybe they can alternate years, e.g., Vegas, Campus, Vegas, Campus. . .

Look forward to reading more about this development. . .in the meantime, here's a link to the previous thread on this topic:

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=742&highlight=WCC+Tournament+Orleans

which was posted on 2/22 and initiated by Angelo. . .

Zagdawg
05-15-2007, 02:39 PM
If you had a choice between once in Spokane every 8 years and Vegas each year (no school gets a homecourt advantage)-- which is more desirable?

I will admit that we travel well as a school-- but Vegas may entice a few more fans from the other WCC schools to show up.

If the Zags get bounced in any part of the tourney early-- the arena will be empty in Vegas or in San Diego or at any other school we go to unless the host school is still in it.

Take the tourney in Portland this year-- if the Zags would have lost prior to the title game there would have been about 25 fans in the stands from the 2 other remaining schools (and of those 25 fans-- 17 would probably have been Zag alums hanging out to watch the game anyway)--

A little buffet..... a show or two and a couple of good bball games --sounds like a good trip to me.

Bocco
05-15-2007, 04:04 PM
Spokane the only place I really like the tourney is when its in San Diego. Uner the current format the tourny will be in southern California for two years (you can bet on that being in San Diego unless LMU or Pepperdine upgrades their facilities), then in the northern California for two years most likely at Santa Clara (I really wouldn't mind it at USF since there is more to do in San Francisco than San Jose/Santa Clara and its closer to Napa and Sonoma counties) and then the Northwest and GU and Portland will split those two games.

Anyway if I have to travel to see the WCC tourny Las Vegas would be okay with me. The league may as well give it a try, it really can't hurt, especially for the first few years and just maybe it will cause some fans from other schools to show up.

mtzaga
05-15-2007, 04:20 PM
We talked about this sometime before & I still have the same hesitation; if the Zags (currently the #1 WCC fanbase) get upset before the final, the televised Championship will be embarassingly sparsely attended (as was the Big Sky Champ. in Portland) a few years back. Bad TV; bad publicity.

It really did look bad on TV. Lay the blame on Portland. Not many PSU or Big Sky fans in the Rose City. This year's Big Sky Lady Grizz-less Women's championship in Missoula drew 3,810.

Birddog
05-15-2007, 05:12 PM
I considered going to the tournament once, then just blew it off for a variety of reasons. From OKC connections suck to any WCC cities. It's little bit pricey, I'd rather hold out for NCAA games nearby. Rental car, lodging, all are a pain in the butt.
Vegas, that's a different story. Flights are easy, some are non-stop direct. Lodging is easy, rental car may not even be nec. Plenty to do when not watching BB. I think there is an "In and Out" not far from the Orleans. I can see myself going maybe every other year and I'll bet there are others that share the same sentiment. I'd considere it, but every year may or may not get old for me. I've never been that big a fan of Vegas just for Vegas sake, but throw in Zag BB, and I'm real interested, at least for a trial. I planned to go a couple years ago, but some family issues killed that trip.

Birddog

gamagin
05-15-2007, 05:36 PM
of course you are right and i am wrong.

apologies. & tnx.

madness
05-15-2007, 05:37 PM
The WCC conference (growing in national recruiting and visibility in the coming years) is taking a positive step forward to truly take advantage of the new players/coaches coming aboard.

A tourney finale in Vegas works for this region. We could be talking ESPN HD cameras showcasing the WCC, packing a reasonably sized gym, with quality players and coaches on both sides of the court.

Gonzaga, USF, SCU, USD, SMC, and Pepp all have a chance to put on a show, with GU's team as the dominant leader of the group. LMU and Portland are kind of starting from scratch.

This relative parity and new location could attract a completely new crowd to the WCC, backed with Gonzaga's star power of course.

Also, the weekend of the WCC tourney essentially kicks off championship week, so the WCC will be showcased first and foremost. Vegas is also a showcase destination for the NCAA tourney weekend...the first weekend in particular. This favors the WCC traveler, prices will not be crazy for hotels and I have to believe hordes of students will make the drive/flight (more likely drive from Cali) and stuff hotel rooms to the gills and fill the arena.

I agree with CDC, et al, that the excitement may die off, but, what's the downside to this? Excitement always dies off a bit, but this change is win win for the WCC and Gonzaga, as continuing to strengthen the conference will allow GU to improve as well.

gamagin
05-15-2007, 05:59 PM
<< Since some trendy new downtown condos and few restaurants have been added since then, Spokane is suddenly the ideal location for the WCC?>>

yes, versus say, san diego, where a $2 beer costs $8 and the most touristy thing to do is apparently to drool over those who can afford to live there.

having been to about a half dozen conventions in san diego, all I can say is unless you crave skin cancer, there isn't a thing you can do in s.d. that you couldn't do in really interesting places around the world. for less.

PilotNut
05-15-2007, 08:05 PM
I think it doesnt get much better than a weekend full of WCC hoops and Vegas debautchery... :D

If it were me, I would have it in Vegas for a couple years and then return to the current rotation. Or maybe even add Vegas to the rotation...?

azzagfan
05-15-2007, 08:26 PM
I guess with the history of the WCC being so image concious, I'm surprised they would agree to a long term deal with of all places, Las Vegas. The WCC wants to put out this image of the saintly Jesuit schools of the west coast engaged in a sportsmanlike battle of athletic talent and wits with educational and spiritual development being their real goal. No place for educational and spiritual development like good ol' Las Vegas.

Zag79
05-15-2007, 11:21 PM
can anyone say, roadtrip?? :D i think that would be a cool deal to ink out for maybe 5 years. see how it goes, and if we (as in Gu board posters) dont have any arrests, keep it there. ;)

DoggieDogpound
05-16-2007, 07:27 AM
The Vegas novelty factor will wear off quickly if the WCC tourney falls on the same weekend as NASCAR, which is usually in early March. Rooms will be pricey and the city will be very crowded.

stevet75
05-16-2007, 08:51 AM
Do any other conferences have their tournaments in a completely neutral venue?

kdaleb
05-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Now that New York is devoid of St. John's fans, the Big East tournament is basically in a neutral venue.

zaguarxj
05-16-2007, 09:28 AM
Angelo you have me confused with TT, you know the one who sat down at a blackjack table just to get a beer, the waitress immediately took his order but was slow to return and by the time she returned with the beer he lost $20. :lmao:

They bring you your drink a lot quicker if you're winning :p

OregonZag5
05-16-2007, 09:37 AM
First I think it would be great- and frankly fairer for all the schools- It is clear that USF and St. Marys can not ever host the tourament unless they vastly ungrade.

If I missed it am sorry but how many people does it seat- as more the seats easier for people to go and would be a fun place to go-