PDA

View Full Version : Moenninghoff - firm commit to Zags?

NJZag
08-11-2010, 08:47 AM
Interesting tidbit as I was trying to check up on where a WCC alum player might have signed overseas.

http://www.eurobasket.com/Germany/basketball.asp?NewsID=199976

Moenninghoff to enroll at Gonzaga University
- Aug 11, 2010 (by Moritz Korff)

Mathis Moenninghoff (199-G-92) is ready to enroll at NCAA Division One school Gonzaga University, the Bayer Giants Leverkusen announced on their website. The 18-year-old played for the Giants through the past three years. He averaged 7.5 points and 2 rebounds in 23 Pro B games in this past campaign and also appeared in 12 games of the U19-Bundesliga NBBL, registering 14.2 points as well as 4.5 boards per outing.
Monninghoff is going to be the second German on the Bulldogs' roster: Elias Harris (203-F-89) joined the Zags last year. Harris enjoyed an outstanding freshman season and was named the All-West Coast Conference Newcomer of the Year.

Photo from the team's website at http://www.bayer-giants-leverkusen.de/

http://www.bayer-basketball.de/uploads/pics/Mathis.JPG

And the press release if anybody can figure out the German:

Was sich schon seit längerem angedeutet hatte wurde nun zur Gewissheit. Mathis Mönninghoff wechselt von den BAYER GIANTS zum US College Gonzaga.

"Wir haben alles versucht auch in Verbindung mit den Düsseldorf Giants Mathis hier zu halten, aber das Angebot aus den Staaten war einfach zu verlockend", so Abteilungsleiter Hans Stubbe. So erteilte man dem Spieler die Freigabe für Gonzaga.

Mathis war drei Jahre bei den BAYER GIANTS und hat sich hier zu einem der herausragenden Nachwuchsspieler Deutschlands entwickelt. Er wurde zum Jugend Nationalspieler und spielte zuletzt als deren Kapitän bei der U18 Europameisterschaft in Litauen.

Besonders die Unterstützung auf der schulischen Ebene mit der Eliteschule des Sports, dem Landrat Lucas Gymnasium und der sportlichen Ausbildung unter den Trainern Hering und Ruers führte dazu, dass er nicht nur in der NBBL drei sehr gute Spielzeiten absolvierte sondern in den letzten beiden Jahren als Juniorenspieler paralell auch in der Regionalliga bzw. der Pro B spielte und dort zum Leistungsträger wurde.

Wir wünschen Mathis für seine weitere Entwicklung alles Gute.

Zurück zur Übersicht

NJZag
08-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Babelfish produces a tower of tortured English in translating the German of the original team press release, but here goes ...

Which had already suggested itself since longer became now the certainty.

Mathis Mönninghoff changes for US from the BAVARIAN GIANTS to the college Gonzaga.

" We have to hold everything here tried also in connection with Duesseldorf Giants Mathis, but the offer from the states was simply too verlockend" , so department managers Hans Stubbe.

Thus one gave the release for Gonzaga to the player. Mathis was three years with the BAVARIAN GIANTS and to one of the outstanding new generation players of Germany developed here. It became youth the national player and played last as their captain with the U18 European championship in Lithuanias.

Particularly the support on the school level with the elite school of the sport, the district administrator Lucas High School and the sporty training among the coaches herring and Ruers led to the fact that it completed not only in the NBBL three very good play times separates in the last two years as a junior player paralell also in the regional league and/or that played pro B and the service provider became there.

We wish Mathis for its further development all to property.

Back to the overview

NJZag
08-11-2010, 09:06 AM
Slipper report of July 28th ... last name without the "e"

http://www.slipperstillfits.com/2010/7/28/1593828/gonzagas-recruiting-is-starting-to

The everlasting question: Scholarships. Here is my current thought process: Mark Few is shooting for a five-man class. We can talk about guys being back up plans all we want but I don't think I could understand an argument that a 6'6'' combo guard/forward is a back up option to Wiltjer. Space and Emory are both players that could play in great tandem with Wiltjer but also have the ability to handle filling minutes at the four even though I would imagine they would end up seeing more time out on the perimeter.

I'm very curious now as to what this means for someone like Mathis Monninghoff's eligibility at Gonzaga. The Zags currently have four open scholly's for the 2011 class without Monninghoff. Assuming Elias is a pro after next season, Mark Few will have room for the five man class. This could be completely off and Monninghoff could arrive tomorrow but I would have thought we would have heard something by now. As always, recruiting is such an amazingly fluid topic but if you can't get excited about this...something's wrong!

Video of Mathis' alley oop last season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Rugn8NUwfg

BobZag
08-11-2010, 09:45 AM
It's firm. He'll be here.

realtydog
08-11-2010, 10:45 AM
is he a Micah D clone?

webspinnre
08-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Great news getting this confirmed. Either more depth at the 3 (can he play a 4 a little bit?) or redshirt opportunities. Seems like once again we'll have lots of options fighting for playing time or potentially redshirting.

GUDan07
08-11-2010, 11:14 AM
"the offer from the states was simply too verlockend"

Love online translators! lol

ZagNative
08-11-2010, 11:17 AM
From the recent ESPN Insider story (http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/news/story?id=5454847),

Mathis Monninghoff, 6-7 SF
Few and his staff can neither confirm nor deny whether Monninghoff will be with the Zags in 2010, per NCAA rules. But the smart money says the Micah Downs clone, who played for the U-18 German national team, could be an impact player with the Zags. A long winger, he can shoot the 3, drive and finish at the rim, and given his experience recruiting Harris, Lloyd has a better feel for the level of competition abroad. Given the star Harris became almost overnight, excitement over Monninghoff should be real if he's indeed on campus in September.Perhaps I'm wrong, but I take this to mean that he's committed but hasn't yet received the "all clear" from the NCAA Clearinghouse.

sittingon50
08-11-2010, 11:31 AM
I believe Teri Garr used this word in "Young Frankenstein."

All these years, I didn't know it was related to basketball!

JPtheBeasta
08-11-2010, 12:08 PM
I believe Teri Garr used this word in "Young Frankenstein."

All these years, I didn't know it was related to basketball!

I think verlockened is German for "putting on the ritz."
:)

NJZag
08-11-2010, 01:41 PM
"the offer from the states was simply too verlockend"

Love online translators! lol

:D

"too tempting" ... gave iGoogle translator a shot at it. Still kind of tortured, but parts make more sense:

What had long been suggested now was a certainty. Mathis Mönninghoff changes from the BAYER GIANTS to U.S. College Gonzaga.

"We have tried everything in connection with the Duesseldorf Giants to stop Mathis from doing this, but the offer from the states was just too tempting," said department head Hans Stubbe. Thus obtained shall be the player to share with Gonzaga.

Mathis spent three years at the BAYER GIANTS and has developed into one of the outstanding young players in Germany. He became the junior national team and played their last as captain of the U18 European Championship in Lithuania.

The support at the school level with the elite school of sport, the district administrator Lucas High School and the sports training under the coaches herring and Ruers result, he not only in the NBBL completed three very good seasons, but as in the last two years of junior players parallel also in the regional or the Pro B and played there for service providers was.

Mathis We wish all the best for his further development.

Back to overview

CDC84
08-11-2010, 02:12 PM
I think the ESPN folks gathered the information for that ESPN Insider Story before the SAT results came in. Hence, the reason why the coaches couldn't comment.

ZagInTexas
08-12-2010, 08:26 AM
Deutschland!

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/165926/Harris_in_Germany.jpg

http://www.ksta.de/ks/images/mdsBild/1273787643958l.jpg

MDABE80
08-12-2010, 09:10 AM
This kid at 18 yrs of age does more on the court than 99% of 18 yr olds we see. Not sure how all this will turn out but further research shows he's a scorer with either hand, has huge hops and "in air coordination" is superior.

His attitude is WORK AND WORK MORE! All things considered, I think Tommy found a spectacular addition. One never knows till they lace em up but from German reports and the videos, he can play everything from a 1/2 to 4...with ease. Didn't know much about him but he could be a nice adjunct to Elias....How Tommy finds these kids is uncanny.

Crazy
08-12-2010, 04:10 PM
This kid at 18 yrs of age does more on the court than 99% of 18 yr olds we see. Not sure how all this will turn out but further research shows he's a scorer with either hand, has huge hops and "in air coordination" is superior.

His attitude is WORK AND WORK MORE! All things considered, I think Tommy found a spectacular addition. One never knows till they lace em up but from German reports and the videos, he can play everything from a 1/2 to 4...

don't know if you just hit the wrong button but when you mean a 3 instead of 4 you are right, but he still have lot of room to improve and i expect him to need some time till he gets a factor for the zags.

ZagNative
08-12-2010, 04:31 PM
http://lh6.ggpht.com/_UkLNCxT74w4/TGSVCN1V1NI/AAAAAAAA_hs/v-54Mr_Hgtk/Hype%20Train.jpg

Watch out that the summer hype train doesn't flatten you on the tracks, Crazy.

Wondering if MDAbe followed the same stats for the summer U18 season I did.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2010-07-30MathisMonninghoffstats.jpg

It isn't helpful to these kids to hype them all out of proportion to reality.

MDABE80
08-12-2010, 07:48 PM
Mark my words: this kid will be a very special player. I suspect he's a lot more than we think right now. Very young kid with experience. I'm not shy on this kid.