PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Summer Buzz: Gonzaga

CDC84
08-11-2010, 07:52 AM
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/14255/summer-buzz-gonzaga-bulldogs

Pleasant Peninsula
08-11-2010, 08:07 AM
No mention of Steven Gray. :confused:

jazzdelmar
08-11-2010, 08:20 AM
cute & paste job by a summer intern, probably...

cjm720
08-11-2010, 08:36 AM
No mention of Steven Gray. :confused:

Not only is he our leader, but also he's got the hair!

ID ZAGFAN
08-11-2010, 08:53 AM
cute & paste job by a summer intern, probably...

"Cute" and paste is about right--the author spend so much time writing about hair, he/she did not have space to covers the players adequately.

"Not only is he our leader, but also he's got the hair!"CJM

True, but he doesn't fit the author's theme of "Of course you think of white dudes with floppy hair. Gonzaga basketball players have given more to the curly overgrown dude-bro hairstyle -- which reached its popularity peak right around when I was in high school, I think -- than any school in the modern history of college hoops.: Quote from
http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/14255/summer-buzz-gonzaga-bulldogs

Frankly, I love it when GU board members or other Zag Fans talk about "Zag hair" but when writers or sports casters use it as their main theme when writing or talking about the Zags, it gets a little old.

ZaGranny

gozagswoohoo
08-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Uh oh.....maybe he knows something about Steven Gray that we don't?!?!?!

He must be transferring?!?!?!

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

BroncoZAG615
08-11-2010, 09:04 AM
That's the blog version

Here's the big boy version: http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/news/story?id=5454847

ZagNative
08-11-2010, 09:09 AM
That's the blog version

Here's the big boy version: http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/news/story?id=5454847Wow. What a difference! Thanks, BroncoZag!

Zagatak
08-11-2010, 09:36 AM
Can someone cut and paste? Im not an insider. Thanks.

94Zag
08-11-2010, 09:43 AM
Okay, the blog was awful but the Insider article was much better.

BobZag
08-11-2010, 09:43 AM
The Big Boy version is damn good. Recommended for every Zag, Zaglet and Zaggie.

Consistency is the trademark.

Creative destruction is used by the writer and it fits. The result is a better team for Gonzaga and more PT for happier transfer-outs.

I'm pumped.

jazzdelmar
08-11-2010, 09:47 AM
http://insider.espn.go.com/ncb/insider/news/story?id=5454847

Gonzaga Bulldogs

2009-10: 27-7 (NCAA tournament -- Sweet 16)

In economics, they call it creative destruction. New and improved innovations and technologies flood the marketplace. Performance improves, efficiency rises -- and people lose their jobs. Adapt or move on.

Jay Bilas
Gonzaga will be good ... again. The consistency of the Zags program under Mark Few has been staggering, and to win 10 straight conference titles is phenomenal in any league, with any moniker.

Joe Lunardi
The Zags have done a remarkable job in recent years of repositioning themselves for sustained success. Next season is no different, as again Gonzaga has a nucleus of winning in place to remain relevant on the national scene.

For more, subscribe. It's cheap!

Pleasant Peninsula
08-11-2010, 09:47 AM
Yes, the insider version is very in depth and well-written.

Here's the conclusion:

Few knows he and his staff will also have to be creative in dishing out minutes to what could be another deep team. The Zags have emerged from Cinderella to the cemented elite. Now they're facing the kinds of "problems" other majors deal with, such as expectations they could again lose a sophomore to the early portion of the NBA draft next spring -- the course many scouts see Harris on.

But with possibly the program's best recruiting class ever still a year away, there are already solutions being readied for the current reality -- the knowledge that attrition isn't just a symptom of the weak.

ZagNative
08-11-2010, 09:52 AM
IMO, it's not fair to cut and paste whole articles from ESPN Insider. It's such an inexpensive subscription - I'm thinking I pay something like $40 per year, which also covers the print magazine delivered - that it's just a disservice to pirate the best stuff thy post.

BroncoZAG615
08-11-2010, 09:58 AM
IMO, it's not fair to cut and paste whole articles from ESPN Insider. It's such an inexpensive subscription - I'm thinking I pay something like $40 per year, which also covers the print magazine delivered - that it's just a disservice to pirate the best stuff thy post.

It's an insane deal. Far better and more usable than a Rivals or Scout...but since I'm a sucker, I pay for all three.

ZagNative
08-11-2010, 10:07 AM
It's an insane deal. Far better and more usable than a Rivals or Scout...but since I'm a sucker, I pay for all three.Me too! But I grumble monthly about the Scout and, to a lesser extent, Rivals subscription fees - $9.95 per month, while I never mind seeing that annual ESPN Insider subscription fee charged to my account.

Ekrub
08-11-2010, 10:13 AM
I no longer have Insider, but it was a great deal when I had it. It's like a cheap magazine subscription.

jazzdelmar
08-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Sorry if I offended. I just assumed the mods would delete the post if it was deemed inappropriate. It's their call, IMO.....

BobZag
08-11-2010, 10:23 AM
It's better now.

gozagswoohoo
08-11-2010, 10:44 AM
I just want to let everyone know, feel free to quote me on any other websites, or copy and paste my works.

This is the official "Woohoo Uncopyright Notice".

I won't even charge royalties.

ZagNative
08-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Let's see if we can post some interesting selected tidbits without doing too much damage to fair use or or subscription rights:

In economics, they call it creative destruction. New and improved innovations and technologies flood the marketplace. Performance improves, efficiency rises -- and people lose their jobs. Adapt or move on.

In Spokane, the spring of 2010 was one of the more creative, destructive, but perhaps auspicious moments in Gonzaga hoops history. And, at least for some once-prized recruits now playing elsewhere, that "destruction" will amount to playing time the Bulldogs and coach Mark Few simply couldn't offer.

In the meantime, fans of the program who often wanted small-major charm with high-major results will get a better understanding of the competition level maintained within big-time programs. North Carolina saw a pair of former McDonald's All-Americans transfer this spring, but nobody is worried about the state of the program. And, as Few reminds, "The benchmark in this program is still hard work. We bring in guys that work hard and expect them to push the established guys."

Creative destruction means that even good products must improve to keep up with the flood of talent on the way in. And the faucet is running at the The Kennel.

bullzag23
08-11-2010, 10:57 AM
The article is great but I have one beef with it...

2009-10: 27-7 (NCAA tournament -- Sweet 16)

I don't recall beating Syracuse to make the Sweet 16? What, I'm picky! :p

ridgebackzag
08-11-2010, 12:32 PM
Myself being a fan of free press, I'll never pay for information that is pure speculation and opinion. If only Insider subs came with ESPN channel subs like ESPN3 (formerly ESPN360) comes with Comcast.

/endrant

LynetteG
08-11-2010, 12:45 PM
My fave part:

The Zags have emerged from Cinderella to the cemented elite.

titopoet
08-11-2010, 01:06 PM
I just want to let everyone know, feel free to quote me on any other websites, or copy and paste my works.

This is the official "Woohoo Uncopyright Notice".

I won't even charge royalties.

What are you saying? Plagiarism is not a big moral deal (http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/08/09/plagiarism-is-not-a-big-moral-deal/)

Well, I think that I read that before. You are not Stanley Fishing here?

ZagNative
08-11-2010, 01:14 PM
Myself being a fan of free press, I'll never pay for information that is pure speculation and opinion. If only Insider subs came with ESPN channel subs like ESPN3 (formerly ESPN360) comes with Comcast.

/endrantThe most important part of that article, for me, wasn't just opinion. It was informative quotes from the coaching staff that really shed some light for me as to where the staff thinks we are.

Marquise Carter: "He shoots it well from 3, he's a good passer, a solid penetrator," said Few. "He really has a complete game. He should shore up a lot of areas."

Sam Dower: "He's a lot stronger than he was when he got here," says Few -- and has been banging in practice with Elias Harris and Robert Sacre, the duo many consider among the top five C/PF combos in the college game. Expect Dower to back up both positions, finish well with his left hand -- "he's got a lot of offensive game all the way out to 18 feet" says Lloyd -- and help Gonzaga dominate on the glass

Keegan Hyland: ""He's got Derek Raivio's work ethic," says Few. "He's always working. And he makes shots."

Outside Shooting: But aside from Carter, keep an eye on 6-7 Mangisto "Manny" Arop, who as a sophomore should be ready to start at small forward. "He's improved his outside shooting," says Few. "This is an opportunity for him." Also keep an eye on 6-10 sophomore Kelly Olynyk, who has expanded both his game and his size. "He's added some good weight," says Few. The Zags need to be able to make 3s to keep teams from sagging too hard on their powerful front line. "I'm pretty confident teams won't be able to play off us," says Few.
I'm jacked!

Kiddwell
08-11-2010, 01:50 PM
Has Manny grown to 6-7? Last season he was listed as 6-5. Lots of nice tidbits on Manny, KO, and Sam.

Thanks for sharing.

:]

ridgebackzag
08-11-2010, 02:21 PM
The most important part of that article, for me, wasn't just opinion. It was informative quotes from the coaching staff that really shed some lite for me as to where the staff thinks we are.

Marquise Carter: "He shoots it well from 3, he's a good passer, a solid penetrator," said Few. "He really has a complete game. He should shore up a lot of areas."

Sam Dower: "He's a lot stronger than he was when he got here," says Few -- and has been banging in practice with Elias Harris and Robert Sacre, the duo many consider among the top five C/PF combos in the college game. Expect Dower to back up both positions, finish well with his left hand -- "he's got a lot of offensive game all the way out to 18 feet" says Lloyd -- and help Gonzaga dominate on the glass

Keegan Hyland: ""He's got Derek Raivio's work ethic," says Few. "He's always working. And he makes shots."

Outside Shooting: But aside from Carter, keep an eye on 6-7 Mangisto "Manny" Arop, who as a sophomore should be ready to start at small forward. "He's improved his outside shooting," says Few. "This is an opportunity for him." Also keep an eye on 6-10 sophomore Kelly Olynyk, who has expanded both his game and his size. "He's added some good weight," says Few. The Zags need to be able to make 3s to keep teams from sagging too hard on their powerful front line. "I'm pretty confident teams won't be able to play off us," says Few.
I'm jacked!

I'm a cheap*** and looked around and found an ESPN Insider deal for a year. Here's the price breakdown...

Subtotal: $13.97
Discounts:: 79921 [x] -$3.00
Shipping: FREE
Order Total: $10.97

Coupon Code: 79921

That's ONLY $10.97/yr ($39.95 reg), enjoy!

http://www.discountmags.com/product/4627/espn

(I realize this is a foot in mouth post, but this is honestly the first, and hopefully only, time I've ever paid for this type of service)

ZagNative
08-11-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm a cheap*** and looked around and found an ESPN Insider deal for a year. Here's the price breakdown...

Subtotal: $13.97
Discounts:: 79921 [x] -$3.00
Shipping: FREE
Order Total: $10.97

Coupon Code: 79921

That's ONLY $10.97/yr ($39.95 reg), enjoy!

http://www.discountmags.com/product/4627/espn

(I realize this is a foot in mouth post, but this is honestly the first, and hopefully only, time I've ever paid for this type of service)Hellovadeal! Congrats!

ZagNut08
08-11-2010, 03:32 PM
Just signed up for that myself, thanks for sharing the deal.

Looks like we have to wait 8-10 weeks for our first magazine in order to activate the insider portion though.

BobZag
08-11-2010, 03:54 PM
Insider includes all sports--NFL, College football, NBA, Soccer, MLB, all kinds of recruiting, you name it. You get it all, not just College hoops.

UberZagFan
08-11-2010, 04:04 PM
The "blog" now mentions Gray:

(Of course, there's also guard Steven Gray, who I somehow left out of the original version of this post. Bad mistake. After all, Gray shot better from inside the arc than did Bouldin in 2009-10, and though he wasn't as proficient a 3-point shooter, he did post a slightly better effective field goal percentage. It will be interesting to see what Gray does with a bigger role -- and presumably more shots from beyond the arc -- assuming Bouldin's departure opens things up in the backcourt.)

Did someone from this board send in a complaint?? :)

Reborn
08-11-2010, 04:22 PM
A great thread to read. I'm jacked too.

Thanks to you all for posting.

ID ZAGFAN
08-11-2010, 05:53 PM
Just signed up for that myself, thanks for sharing the deal.

Looks like we have to wait 8-10 weeks for our first magazine in order to activate the insider portion though.

The sign up page says 2-4, and I emailed and got this info:

"You will need to wait anywhere between 1-4 weeks after placing the order on our website, then visit the link below to activate your Insider:

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/magazine/offer?campaign=INConversion&source=custserv "

So it might not be as long as waiting until you have your first issue.
PS: Thanks RBZ for the info. I joined too.

ZaGranny

bigblahla
08-11-2010, 06:03 PM
At that price even Mrs.blahla thinks it's a deal.

We are in for a real fun ride this year Zaggies saving my pennies for Vegas already.

Go!! Zags!!!

zag buddy
08-11-2010, 06:50 PM
Someone on the SSF says he got it for $ 4.00

ZagNative
08-11-2010, 07:24 PM
Watch your back, Sacre! There's a new stud in town!

Not from the ESPN story, but I couldn't pass up the pic below to illustrate the truth of staff's assessment of how far far Sam Dower has come.

Sam Dower: "He's a lot stronger than he was when he got here," says Few -- and has been banging in practice with Elias Harris and Robert Sacre, the duo many consider among the top five C/PF combos in the college game. Expect Dower to back up both positions, finish well with his left hand -- "he's got a lot of offensive game all the way out to 18 feet" says Lloyd -- and help Gonzaga dominate on the glass.Sam manages to make Rob Sacre look almost emaciated in this pic from today's Inlander (http://www.inlander.com/spokane/article-15444-happy-campers.html), in a story about Camp Goodtimes:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Dower/2010-08-11SamDowerandRobSacreatCampGoodtimes-1.jpg
"Good times in Post Falls with Zags Robert Sacre and Sam Dower."

Eat, Big Rob! Eat! You are in danger of being out-hottied!

spotucky
08-11-2010, 07:55 PM
Just did a 2 year deal on it. Thanks for the links, man this board is awesome!!!!!

LynetteG
08-11-2010, 08:43 PM
Watch your back, Sacre! There's a new stud in town!

Not from the ESPN story, but I couldn't pass up the pic below to illustrate the truth of staff's assessment of how far far Sam Dower has come.
Sam manages to make Rob Sacre look almost emaciated in this pic from today's Inlander (http://www.inlander.com/spokane/article-15444-happy-campers.html), in a story about Camp Goodtimes:

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Dower/2010-08-11SamDowerandRobSacreatCampGoodtimes-1.jpg
"Good times in Post Falls with Zags Robert Sacre and Sam Dower."

Eat, Big Rob! Eat! You are in danger of being out-hottied!

OH MY G O D

webspinnre
08-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Dang, that is another big dude. Excellent.

sittingon50
08-11-2010, 09:43 PM
So, I suppose those are the lyrics to "Oh Canada" on Rob's rib's?

MickMick
08-12-2010, 03:47 AM
The most important part of that article, for me, wasn't just opinion. It was informative quotes from the coaching staff that really shed some light for me as to where the staff thinks we are.

I'm jacked!

I am relieved to read this. It reads exactly how I think the Zags should progress forward. Carter and Hyland shoring up the perimeter scoring. Dower beefing up so that he can bang inside and back up both Sacre and Harris.. But most important, Arop starting at wing with Harris and Sacre playing in the paint. This, I believe, is the best possible path forward for the Zags.

omahazag
08-12-2010, 07:15 AM
So, I suppose those are the lyrics to "Oh Canada" on Rob's rib's?

:roll:

gozagswoohoo
08-12-2010, 07:24 AM
Ok guys, now that someone posted that pic of Rob, we're gonna need to make sure Mee doesn't stumble upon this thread, or she may implode all over herself...

Ummm....let's see....oh, I have an idea! Let's change the name of the thread to "This thread has nothing to do with alcohol, or pictures of Rob Sacre". Then she'll never open it!

;-)

LynetteG
08-12-2010, 08:07 AM
"This thread has nothing to do with alcohol, or pictures of Rob Sacre".

add the word shirtless after Sacre.... that is what I was oh-my-God-ing! HUBBA HUBBA!

BobZag
08-12-2010, 10:30 AM
add the word shirtless after Sacre.... that is what I was oh-my-God-ing! HUBBA HUBBA!

Down, girl, down! :p

LynetteG
08-12-2010, 10:37 AM
Down, girl, down! :p

um...ok ;)