PDA

View Full Version : SCU B-Ball Play-by-play man fired

sanfranzagsguy20
05-15-2007, 09:33 AM
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/chronicle/archive/2007/05/15/SPG2JPQQ331.DTL

MickMick
05-15-2007, 11:00 AM
Dick Davey seems to still be a touchy subject down there. What kind of turmoil would Spokane be in if Mark Few were to (God forbid) depart under similar circumstances? I imagine quite a few "loyalists" would have to go as well.

SpudDawg
05-15-2007, 09:28 PM
a** who mouthed off about the Zags on KJR in Seattle. RenoZag posted on this 3/2.

I describe this as "I opened my mouth and my pink slip fell out" syndrome.

NJZag
05-15-2007, 10:38 PM
The context appears to have been a "roast" and that doesn't come through clearly in the press reports. The guy has been a part of SCU sports for 13 years, reportedly going above the call of duty in being personable with fans and supporting the team

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=2935

I think MickMick has the right take. There are some thin-skinned folks averse to being reminded about how they handled Davey. Over-reacting to the reminders only pours fuel on a fire, creating more negative press.

http://www.mercextra.com/blogs/collegesports/2007/05/14/santa-clara-hoops-broncos-fire-announcer-dave-lewis/

freezer12
05-16-2007, 10:24 AM
If you openly questioned or talked negatively about a decision your boss made, would you be in trouble, if not fired? I think so. I've been reprimanded before for doing so. D-Lew made a miscalculation and paid for it. This wasn't the first time he had made negative remarks, as well.

I'm extremely sad to see him go as he was a nice man and did great work. However, I'm not angry like other SCU people because I understand that undermining your boss is a huge "no-no."

It would be nice if there was room for reconciliation between the involved parties, but it appears that there is none.

I wouldn't be surprised if D-Lew ends up calling games somewhere in the Bay Area in the near future.

Bing
05-16-2007, 12:37 PM
http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=1003

Sittingon50 asked a prophetic question when he inquired as to whether or not Lewis kept his mouth shut about the Davey firing.

Angelo Roncalli
05-16-2007, 12:43 PM
I think I finally understand what's going on down there next to the San Jose Airport. Practice makes perfect. SCU's AD is just going to keep firing people associated with the basketball program until he learns how to do it correctly.

NJZag
05-16-2007, 12:54 PM
If you openly questioned or talked negatively about a decision your boss made, would you be in trouble, if not fired? I think so. I've been reprimanded before for doing so. D-Lew made a miscalculation and paid for it. This wasn't the first time he had made negative remarks, as well.

I'm extremely sad to see him go as he was a nice man and did great work. However, I'm not angry like other SCU people because I understand that undermining your boss is a huge "no-no."

It would be nice if there was room for reconciliation between the involved parties, but it appears that there is none.

I wouldn't be surprised if D-Lew ends up calling games somewhere in the Bay Area in the near future.

It sounded like he made up lyrics to a parody song, they seemed to describe the college coaching carrousel in general, it cut too close to the bone at SCU even though inapplicable names (Majerus) and generalities (retire/fire) were used, he got the axe. We only know about the song/parody at the roast.

If he openly spoke out about the handling of Davey in office politics discussions on other dates, this is the first we're hearing about it, and that could fit into a description of insubordination. But the announcement from Coonan only mentioned the song. (If D-Lew was planned entertainment, shouldn't Coonan or an event organizer have fit into the scheme of things somewhere in reviewing the lyrics or the plans?)

Insubordination (office politics, trying to reverse a boss' decision) is one thing.

Poor judgment in writing parody lyrics for a roast is another.

Don't let the kool-aid (or popsicles?) get to you, freezer12.