PDA

View Full Version : Pangos is in da House!

BobZag
08-09-2010, 02:32 PM
Welcome to them. Hope he and his father enjoy Gonzaga and Spokandyland!

GUDan07
08-09-2010, 02:35 PM
I hear a commitment can make the trip a whole lot more enjoyable.

hockeyzag
08-09-2010, 02:54 PM
Pangos would look good in that GU uniform, and if he wants to grow a nice long curly shag to go with it I'd be fine with that too.

theman.themyth.thelegend
08-09-2010, 03:05 PM
http://www.flagrantfouls.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/kevin-pangos2.jpg
http://apple.corante.com/images/itunes-canada-welcome.jpg
http://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/OMU/OMU110/21P0684.jpg
http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/gonz/non-sport/mccarthey-athletic-inside-560.jpg

zagnut2012
08-09-2010, 03:18 PM
Welcome K-Pang! :D Enjoy your visit to our "Little Slice of Paradise" Spoka-Vegas!

Zagnut 2012

Drew
08-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Welcome to them. Hope he and his father enjoy Gonzaga and Spokandyland!

Is "Pangos" both plural and singular?

ZagAddict
08-09-2010, 04:19 PM
Welcome to Gonzaga and Spokane... it gets even better once the basketball season starts.

theman.themyth.thelegend
08-09-2010, 04:20 PM
I'd like to see Kevin meet some of the team and potentially future teammates.

However, with Elias, Kelly, Sam, and others away from Campus at the moment, is there anyone still around to help host--and hoop--with Kevin?

I know Manny is currently in Spokane, but not sure about the others, especially since Summer school ended last week.

:)

AzZag
08-09-2010, 06:59 PM
KP

Imagine...you throwing dimes to KO, Kyle W and the rest of the gang.
Now imagine me making out with my wife while you lead us to the promise land.

Uhhhh....Ok, just imagine the assists.

Please come to GU. I will order a Fathead of you and put it my living room.:D

MDABE80
08-09-2010, 08:03 PM
Kevin's all business. He'll join us. He may not have Zag hair but he's a throwback to what made this program great. I like him just as he is. Hope he's not too tired from the Portland tournament....it makes things better to be rested.

cjm720
08-09-2010, 09:17 PM
Kevin Pangos, meet John Stockton.

Idahomie
08-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Kevin Pangos, meet John Stockton.

Does anyone know if Few might try and orchestrate a meeting with Pangos and one Hall of famer?? Do you think Few plays the Stockton card with Pangos when he comes to campus, especially considering how hands on Stockton is with the program. If you were Pangos, why would you not want to come be mentored by one of the greatest point guards of all time?

thespywhozaggedme
08-09-2010, 09:46 PM
In theory we could have a starting lineup of all K's:

pg: Kevin
sg: Keegan
sf: Kyle
pf: Kelly
c: Khem

Yeah, Im scrapin' the bottom of the barrel, but hey, that's what the off season is for. lol Still, if we did land the Canadian Triple K Trifecta, that would be SAWEEET!

Idahomie
08-09-2010, 09:57 PM
In theory we could have a starting lineup of all K's:

pg: Kevin
sg: Keegan
sf: Kyle
pf: Kelly
c: Khem

Yeah, Im scrapin' the bottom of the barrel, but hey, that's what the off season is for. lol Still, if we did land the Canadian Triple K Trifecta, that would be SAWEEET!

That would be awesome. But we aren't even on Khem's radar are we??? I didn't see us on his list of schools. But I have to think that if we got Pangos and Wiltjer we would be

810Suited
08-10-2010, 03:54 AM
City of spokompton, we keep it rockin

spudzag
08-10-2010, 08:27 AM
Does anyone know if Few might try and orchestrate a meeting with Pangos and one Hall of famer?? Do you think Few plays the Stockton card with Pangos when he comes to campus, especially considering how hands on Stockton is with the program. If you were Pangos, why would you not want to come be mentored by one of the greatest point guards of all time?

Have to believe a Stockton visit is in Fewie's tool bag used when most appropriate.

Idahomie
08-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Have to believe a Stockton visit is in Fewie's tool bag used when most appropriate.

Well I would say now is "most appropriate" wouldn't you? Do it Few, dig in that tool bag

BobZag
08-10-2010, 09:41 AM
That would be awesome. But we aren't even on Khem's radar are we??? I didn't see us on his list of schools. But I have to think that if we got Pangos and Wiltjer we would be

Alas, unfortunately no, not yet with Birch. He's at a prep school in Mass, and that is almost always Big East and ACC territory. Still, though, I'd like to see the staff make a run at him. Pangos and Wiltjer wouldn't hurt, that's for sure.

tinfoilzag
08-10-2010, 12:23 PM
Is "Pangos" both plural and singular?

In Canada, Yes. It's like the word "beer".

Examples:

I had 15 beer at da Leaf's game.

Kevin scored so much, it was like there were 3 Pangos out dare'.

Idahomie
08-10-2010, 12:43 PM
Alas, unfortunately no, not yet with Birch. He's at a prep school in Mass, and that is almost always Big East and ACC territory. Still, though, I'd like to see the staff make a run at him. Pangos and Wiltjer wouldn't hurt, that's for sure.

I think that if we really win the sweepstakes with this 2011 class, then stealing Khem Birch from some of those Big East and ACC schools isn't that far fetched. Especially considering he has played alongside both Pangos and Wiltjer. I guess the main concern is does he fill a need for that 2012 class? It would be pretty nice to have him. I'm getting pretty excited for this 2011 class. Bob, have you heard any word on how the Pangos visit went?

Drew
08-10-2010, 01:17 PM
In Canada, Yes. It's like the word "beer".

Examples:

I had 15 beer at da Leaf's game.

Kevin scored so much, it was like there were 3 Pangos out dare'.

That makes it easy, especially since I was in Vancouver this weekend . . .

spudzag
08-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Don't really expect an immediate commitment as much as a change to make a great first impression given that he may not to actually begin playing for two years in 2012.

However, as mentioned earlier, an early commitment would and spending a RS year on school would makes a lit of sense compared with a prep school.

PHXzag
08-10-2010, 02:47 PM
Is this considered an "official" visit or is he just looking at the school with his father? I'm not well read on the whole subject, but if it is official, what will it entail vs. just visiting.

ZagNative
08-10-2010, 02:52 PM
Unofficial. Official visits can't begin until school starts in September. I don't think there's any difference between official and unofficial, except the college pays expenses for official but not for unofficial.

PHXzag
08-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Thanks, thats good to know. For some reason I thought the official visits involved a little more like scrimmages with the team, etc.

810Suited
08-10-2010, 03:25 PM

Is Birch still Providence's to lose? I know he has somewhat blown up since almost committing to them.

AzZag
08-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Wow, for KP to be on an unofficial on his (or his family's) dime bodes well.

Man.........I heart Canada these days.

LynetteG
08-10-2010, 03:59 PM
Unofficial. Official visits can't begin until school starts in September. I don't think there's any difference between official and unofficial, except the college pays expenses for official but not for unofficial.

I think the S-A can only take 5 officials, as well.

SCUZAG
08-10-2010, 09:16 PM
They can have 5 official visits, which are visits paid for by the schools.

They can play with the team during both official and non-official visits. Can't be coached but can play with them.

spudzag
08-11-2010, 06:25 PM
It will be interesting to see if KP makes any comments about his visit specifically or indirectly by pruning his list of school. While he is in no hurry, will be interested to see if we hear anything directly or indirectly about his reaction.

Getting in unofficial visits is a good indicator that he is going to be patient and thoughtfully consider a commitment. I think this is a positive as is including his father in the visit.

OZZY
08-11-2010, 07:01 PM
I wonder if they popped up to Vancouver to watch the Canada/China game (might have been a bit of a stretch). You would think that the only two non professionals playing being Zag players may have an influence in his thinking.

LynetteG
08-11-2010, 08:50 PM
when can we get a report? is he still here?

sanders
08-11-2010, 10:02 PM
Is Birch still Providence's to lose? I know he has somewhat blown up since almost committing to them.

I haven't read anything, but this NBE basketball article, titled "Khem Birch Talks Recruiting After Big Summer," may have some info.

http://www.nbebasketball.com/w3/2010-0810/khem-birch-talks-recruiting-after-big-summer/

I am not a subscriber so I can't access it, but, FWIW, the tags to the article are Arizona, Florida, North Carolina, OSU, Pitt, Providence, Rutgers, Syracuse, Texas, Washington, and West Virginia.

OZZY
08-11-2010, 10:42 PM
Birch actually played yesterday for Dawson College (a Montreal CEGEP) against the NM Aggies. Dawson College beat a depleted Aggies team 74-68.

http://basketballbuzz.ca/ncaa/dawson-college-drops-new-mexico-state-aggies-74-68/link/2698/

Khem scored 14 points in the win. The Aggies are swinging through Quebec and Ontario and have/will play Vanier, Carlton and McGill as well.

thespywhozaggedme
08-11-2010, 11:26 PM
Birch actually played yesterday for Dawson College (a Montreal CEGEP) against the NM Aggies. Dawson College beat a depleted Aggies team 74-68.

http://basketballbuzz.ca/ncaa/dawson-college-drops-new-mexico-state-aggies-74-68/link/2698/

Khem scored 14 points in the win. The Aggies are swinging through Quebec and Ontario and have/will play Vanier, Carlton and McGill as well.

Think about this for a second, this is a high school junior, not a senior, but a junior to be, scoring 14 points on a D1 school that almost beat MSU in the first round of March madness. I think Birch will ultimately be the best big man to ever come outta Canada.

Baldwinzag
08-14-2010, 12:21 PM
Rumor: I heard Gary Bell Jr. was in town the same time as Kevin Pangos unofficial visit.

BZ, are you able to confirm or deny this news? :)

If true, a great recruiting move on behalf of our coaching staff, imo.

I salivate at the thought of GBJ, KP, & KD together in the backcourt come 2011 & beyond.

MDABE80
08-14-2010, 12:51 PM
Pretty well wraps up our hopes for a superb guard corps if we can nail that final kid (KP).... just a spectacular group.

Getting Pangos is beginning to feel like giving birth. Wiltjer ain't far behind! Man...this is tough!

BB4Life
08-14-2010, 01:41 PM
I am from Oklahoma and I am curious about if Ryan has a visit scheduled. I have seen the young man play some games in High School and saw him play for AAU- Athletes First in Houston, Kansas City, Tulsa, and Georgia. This young man is unbelievable in his play. I saw him play against the best and he dominated. I know he has turned down offers from his home state and has a big interest in Gonzaga, but we have not heard anything down here in the news about Ryan visit. We have heard Gonzaga has offered Ryan. Could you let me know any info. that you have.

nonzagzag
08-14-2010, 02:31 PM
did you see this thread bb4life?

http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?t=29711

any more descriptions of his game that you can share with us?

Kiddwell
08-14-2010, 05:22 PM
I am from Oklahoma and I am curious about if Ryan has a visit scheduled. I have seen the young man play some games in High School and saw him play for AAU- Athletes First in Houston, Kansas City, Tulsa, and Georgia. This young man is unbelievable in his play. I saw him play against the best and he dominated. I know he has turned down offers from his home state and has a big interest in Gonzaga, but we have not heard anything down here in the news about Ryan visit. We have heard Gonzaga has offered Ryan. Could you let me know any info. that you have.

Thanks for the info, and welcome to the board. :)

:]

Zerogame
08-14-2010, 08:11 PM
I friend of mine who is very familiar with GU, refereed 3 games involving Kyle Dranginis last year down in Boise. He was real impressed how very smooth the kid is and the fact that he had no problem going inside to dunk the ball if necessary.

MickMick
08-15-2010, 07:14 AM
Spangler is intriguing. What pops out to me is how quickly he impresses the people scouting him. As opposed to a long evaluation process, I have been reading how schools are offering him after a brief look.

I can think of a similar situation with Steven Gray. If I understand the story correctly, Few offered Gray from a rather brief look. I believe it was a high school camp (as opposed to an elite camp) where Few only needed a short evaluation to "offer him on the spot".

One can look at a "Scout" or "Rivals" ranking and see Antwan Space sitting high on the list as a proven commodity. But there must be something special about Spangler to get those rather "immediate" offers. Perhaps it is a win/win situation where the Zags could get a very good player with either one of them.

theman.themyth.thelegend
08-15-2010, 10:10 AM
***WARNING: Facebook update ahead***

I precede with a warning since I'm well aware a few board members are not comfortable discussing nor support anything related to social networking sites such as Facebook, but thought a recent "update" via Pangos was particularly intriguing. I thought I'd go ahead and share. . .

Kevin Pangos just added Marquise Carter, Gary Bell Jr, David Stockton, Manny Arop, and Rob Sacre to his FB friends within the last 2 days.

Hmmm...interesting development, imo.

ZagNative
08-15-2010, 10:19 AM
Has this video from the Nike Global Challenge (http://videos.oregonlive.com/oregonlive/2010/08/video_watch_highlights_of_team.html) posted on Oregonlive.com been posted before? Nice extended highlights of Kevin's performance, as well as other players for Team Canada.

Watch highlights of Kevin Pangos, Anthony Bennett, Sim Bhullar and Andrew Wiggins of Team Canada at the Nike Global Challenge. Video by Tim Brown and Mike Richman, OregonLive.comHope they know at Oregonlive.com how much we appreciate the great job they do covering HS sports involving "our guys."

Bogozags
08-15-2010, 10:30 AM

I precede with a warning since I'm well aware a few board members are not comfortable discussing nor support anything related to social networking sites such as Facebook, but thought a recent "update" via Pangos was particularly intriguing. I thought I'd go ahead and share. . .

Kevin Pangos just added Marquise Carter, Gary Bell Jr, David Stockton, Manny Arop, and Rob Sacre to his FB friends within the last 2 days.

It seems he has developed good rapport with GU players or that is how I would take it and that can be a very good thing.

MDABE80
08-15-2010, 11:00 AM
Very good sign if he didn't add any other players from the competing schools.
I hope this kid comes on board. He is a throwback to what made Zagdom great. I do think he offers an expanding future. He might not be a dipsy do dunker, but he's what we need at the point.

MickMick
08-15-2010, 11:10 AM
;)

Let me guess.......

Wiltjer was added long before that :D

With all seriousness, Pangos would be a very, very welcome addition regardless of where Wiltjer goes.

I don't even know how facebook works or I would confirm it myself. Sheesh I'm out of touch with today's world. :)

MDABE80
08-15-2010, 11:24 AM
How do you guys look up the players on facebook?

sittingon50
08-15-2010, 11:28 AM
I think you & I would need an awful long string between our Campbell's Soup cans.

BB4Life
08-15-2010, 02:06 PM
Thanks nonzagzag for the info. I know Ryan has turned many D1 offers in football and has decided on basketball. He is the real deal, I have seen him play underneath, play a 4 position and also have handled the ball in press situation. Talking with a Athletes First coach, he is bewteen 6'7" and 6'8" and the stats the I saw someone post are correct. He also is a 4.2 academic student and attends Bridge Creek High School which is a 4A school in Oklahoma. I was told the other day that the Oklahoma colleges are trying to keep him in the states.

Birddog
08-15-2010, 03:03 PM
He also is a 4.2 academic student and attends Bridge Creek High School which is a 4A school in Oklahoma.

No way, Bridge Creek has about 300 students total grades 9 thru 12.

BB4Life
08-15-2010, 04:51 PM
Looking at enrollment on the ossaa website, Briidge Creek was at 379 last year and already up to 430 this year. It is a community outside Okla. City and seems like that is where everyone is moving to.

BB4Life
08-15-2010, 04:53 PM
Birddog, go to www.coachesaid.com and go to Oklahoma and look at the 4A Basketball and they will be talking about Bridge Creek and Spangler

Birddog
08-15-2010, 09:35 PM
I stand corrected, apparently they have been moved up from 3A to 4A for the upcoming school year. Last year they were a 3A school but this year they are the smallest 4A school in OK. OK has 7 classes from 6A down through B with the top 32 by enrollment in 6A, the next 32, 5A, the next 64, 4A. After that I'm not sure how it breaks down the last 350+ schools. Bridge Creek the town is most famous for the hit it took from the F5 tornado in '99. Perhaps Spangler can change that.

CDC84
08-16-2010, 08:00 AM
What you also see in that film is how great of a passer Kyle Wiltjer is. Especially in the high post and on the break.

TokyoZag
08-16-2010, 10:53 AM
What you also see in that film is how great of a passer Kyle Wiltjer is. Especially in the high post and on the break.

What number is Wiltjer?

JohnOGU
08-16-2010, 11:08 AM
Wow. Only the second time i've seen video of Pangos play, but I came away very impressed after watching that video.

What were his stats like for the global challenge?

MDABE80
08-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Pangos' visit has to be the quietest visit by a recruit in history! lol.....what happened?

ZagNative
08-16-2010, 11:22 AM
What number is Wiltjer?I have photos of him at NGC as #12 in red jersey, #13 in white jersey.``

MickMick
08-16-2010, 04:32 PM

I noticed that as well.

I have seen videos of him passing extremely well from the low post (with his back to the basket) as well. With Wiltjer, the flex is back in business. He seems made for it and would tear up a man defense by passing to cutters from there. Now we just need some great outside shooting to keep opponents from collapsing into the lanes.

Bell, Hyland, Pangos, Monninghof, Carter, Dranginis? I'm sure one of them could get a hot hand.

OZZY
08-16-2010, 04:51 PM
Pangos' visit has to be the quietest visit by a recruit in history! lol.....what happened?

I think that if Kevin added the names of the players he met while visiting to his facebook page (see second page of this thread)it was a positive experience. From what I can tell Kevin would really appreciate the sort of atmosphere and team focus that the Few and staff have created. The Zag staff have been all class in pursuit of Kevin and his family have appreciated this.

I have a really good feeling about Gonzaga's chances of landing Kevin.

LynetteG
08-16-2010, 05:23 PM
How do you guys look up the players on facebook?

pangos
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=746225649