PDA

View Full Version : Site Publishers Sue Scout

Angelo Roncalli
05-15-2007, 07:52 AM
A group of site publishers on the Scout.com network, including Bucknuts (publishers of the Ohio State unofficial site), brought a class action suit in the US District Court for the Western District of Washington late last week on behalf of themselves and others similarly situated. The named defendants are Scout Media Inc; Fox Interactive Media Inc; Patrick Crumb; James Heckman; Brian Kosar.

The plaintiffs represent a class of internet publishers and a separate class of magazine publishers that operate under an agreement with Scout Publishing. The complaint alleges that the defendants deceived the the plaintiffs regarding the amounts that they were owed and falsely promised that the internet publishers would receive a ten percent ownership interest in Scout Media.

Hmmm, Bob, whose side are we on in this one?
:)

BobZag
05-15-2007, 08:32 AM
A group of site publishers on the Scout.com network, including Bucknuts (publishers of the Ohio State unofficial site), brought a class action suit in the US District Court for the Western District of Washington late last week on behalf of themselves and others similarly situated. The named defendants are Scout Media Inc; Fox Interactive Media Inc; Patrick Crumb; James Heckman; Brian Kosar.

The plaintiffs represent a class of internet publishers and a separate class of magazine publishers that operate under an agreement with Scout Publishing. The complaint alleges that the defendants deceived the the plaintiffs regarding the amounts that they were owed and falsely promised that the internet publishers would receive a ten percent ownership interest in Scout Media.

Hmmm, Bob, whose side are we on in this one?
:)

I'm sure I have no idea, pontiff. ;)

CDC84
05-15-2007, 08:37 AM
I hope they take the scout.com/Fox Sports money hogs to the cleaners. I just knew scout.com was going to hell as soon as Fox took it over.

Thank goodness for this new site.

ZagNative
05-15-2007, 09:03 AM
Angelo, that is really interesting, but I don't find anything coming up when I google it. How did you happen to come across this tidbit? I'd love to read the complaint.

Angelo Roncalli
05-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Angelo, that is really interesting, but I don't find anything coming up when I google it. How did you happen to come across this tidbit? I'd love to read the complaint.

Some sources are better/faster than Google. :) My firm subscribes to a paid internet service that keeps us up to date on King County Superior Court and Western District Federal Court filings.

The complaint is a monster, 55 pages, without exhibits. The four named plaintiffs are the publishers of the Ohio State, Texas, Stanford and Oklahoma Scout sites.

If the class is certified, then there will be about 300 additional plaintiffs, including our fearless leader!

The firm representing the plaintiffs is a top-notch boutique litigation firm.

You should be able peruse the complaint at this site:

http://www.courthousenews.com/ScoutMedia.pdf

NJZag
05-15-2007, 09:31 AM

Get your credit card handy and sign up, ZN. :D

http://pacer.uspci.uscourts.gov/

ZagNative
05-15-2007, 09:40 AM
I'm curious, but not that curious. $.08 per page, plus way too much gray matter expended.

Angelo Roncalli
05-15-2007, 09:44 AM
The skunk at this picnic is likely Jim Heckman, notorious Husky booster and recruiting rule violator. Here's a background piece on Heckman:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/venture/230863_vc01.html

ZagNative
05-15-2007, 10:37 AM
More about Jim Heckman:

Venture Capital: UW grad wheels, deals for Fox firm (http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/venture/282531_vc25.html)
Friday, August 25, 2006
By JOHN COOK
P-I REPORTER

Ever since leaving the University of Washington during the final quarter of his senior year, Jim Heckman has been cutting deals. Whether it was creating his first sports magazine at the age of 20 or attracting $80 million in venture capital for online sports network Rivals.com in the late '90s, the hard-charging entrepreneur and former debate champion has always loved the art of the deal.

But nothing really compares with the blockbuster advertising pact the 40-year-old executive helped seal three weeks ago when Google agreed to pay $900 million to Fox Interactive Media, the owner of MySpace and other Internet properties.

In a tiny office near Pike Place Market, Heckman -- who had been appointed chief strategy officer of Fox Interactive Media just five months earlier -- sat across from Google Vice President Tim Armstrong this month and negotiated details of a three-year partnership. The Wall Street Journal later called it a "huge financial win" for Fox and a blow for Microsoft. At one time during the negotiations, Armstrong even took over Heckman's office so he could have a conference call with the Google board.

Looks like the plaintiffs are taking on some powerful defendants, but with nice deep pockets.

GU69
05-15-2007, 10:50 AM
brought a class action suit

I can hear Lew Orland from here.
:D

Angelo Roncalli
05-15-2007, 10:57 AM
I appreciate that there's a redundancy (action/suit), but the term has achieved common usage status, even among legal publishers:

http://consumer-law.lawyers.com/GE-Refrigerators-Targeted-in-Class-Action-Suit.html

sittingon50
05-15-2007, 11:31 AM
Inquiring minds want to know: Will BZ's windfall change him?

UberZagFan
05-15-2007, 12:14 PM
The complaint is a monster, 55 pages, without exhibits.

Whatever happened to notice pleadings? I suppose this is the art of class action pleading but my rule of thumb is if a complaint needs a table of contents then it's too darn long!!

UberZagFan
05-15-2007, 12:28 PM
The skunk at this picnic is likely Jim Heckman, notorious Husky booster and recruiting rule violator. Here's a background piece on Heckman:

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/venture/230863_vc01.html

Heckman sleeps about six hours a day and once closed a business deal while his wife was having a baby

Just the kind of guy I'd want running my business. :eek:

DrDrivel
05-15-2007, 03:52 PM
I actually would want someone like that running my business, so long as he did so without incurring a major lawsuit.