PDA

View Full Version : "Olynyk eyes spot on national men’s team"

ZagNative
08-05-2010, 06:51 AM
Nice story from Kamloops News (http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/20100805/KAMLOOPS0201/308059979/-1/KAMLOOPS02/olynyk-eyes-spot-on-national-men-s-team):
Two weeks of basketball in Europe apparently wasn’t enough for Kelly Olynyk — he wants to do it again.

Olynyk, a South Kamloops grad and member of the NCAA’s Gonzaga Bulldogs, is in Toronto this week trying out for the national senior men’s basketball team. The tryout comes on the heels of a two-week trip through Europe with the national development men’s team that ended on Sunday.

If Olynyk makes the senior team, he will be playing basketball — lots of it — into the middle of September.

Canada is to play three exhibition games around the country next week, before heading to Greece for a tournament from Aug. 17-19. After that, there will be a tournament in Ankara, Turkey, from Aug. 21-23, and then the FIBA World Championship in Izmir and Istanbul, Turkey, from Aug. 28 to Sept. 12.

The tryout is being held at the Air Canada Centre, home of the NBA’s Toronto Raptors and NHL’s Toronto Maple Leafs.

“We’re practising two times a day . . . in the morning and at night,” said Olynyk, a 6-foot-11 forward. “The trip with the development team was basically a tryout, and so are the practices this week.”

There are 16 men trying out for the senior team, which Olynyk figures will carry 14 players for its Canadian exhibition series — it begins Tuesday against China in Vancouver, before games against France on Aug. 12 and 13 in Toronto — and will carry 12 to Greece and Turkey
He’s thrilled with the experience he has picked up this summer — during his trip with the development team, he played alongside former NBA player Denham Brown. Canada also took on Spain’s senior team, which features Rudy Fernandez, a 6-foot-6 guard who spent last season with the Portland Trail Blazers.

And while Fernandez and the hosts won the game, 84-38, in Gran Canaria on Sunday, Olynyk cherishes the experience.

“It was really good to see just how much better they are and what you have to do to get there,” Olynyk said. “It was a great experience to be playing guys at that level.”As a side note, that Spanish team was just scary and included Ricky Rubio, Barcelona and three NBA players -
(Rudy Fernandez, Portland Trail Blazers
Jose-Manuel Calderon, Toronto Rptors
Marc Gasol, Memphis Grizzlies

Should Olynyk crack the roster for worlds, he would have to miss the start of his school year, but not his basketball season at Gonzaga.

“We’re not allowed to start practising until October, so it won’t affect the basketball,” he said, adding that Gonzaga head coach Mark Few apparently doesn’t mind if he’s late to the party. ”From what I’ve heard, he’s OK with it. But I haven’t talked to him about it.”

Reborn
08-05-2010, 07:18 AM
It's great to see Kelly doing so well. I really like him too, and I've always felt that Kelly is going to be one of the great Zags. I thnk Kelly has taken some uncalled for hits this summer on the board, but that's to be expected in the heat of the summer. I think that so much emphisis has been on Wiltjir that many fans here forget about Olynyk and the talent and the heart that he has.

OZZY
08-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Thanks ZN for your usual diligence.

Since I first started following Kelly in 2007, I have been hoping that he would get an opportunity to play for the Canadian National team, I actually expected that Manny would make it first though. Both Kelly and Rob will end up coming back to GU with a great deal of experience and confidence after their summer "vacations".....

You can't just focus on Spokane when your a Zag fan.

ZagNative
08-05-2010, 10:49 PM
Hopefully, he'll make the team. The extra development for him would be stupendous and would help him live up to the ridiculous hype he gets.:D

What kept you so long, Mal? Glad I didn't put any money down on my bet with myself that you'd show up within the hour with something snarky to say about Kelly, just to remind us you still don't like the kid.

God forbid we should just wish the kid well ....

ZagNative
08-05-2010, 11:38 PM
I just don't see a lot of hyping about Kelly on guboards, other than stuff from the usual suspects, which a body can and should take or leave. I have no idea who or what you're talking about in that regard, unless you think even posting an innocuous story from Kelly's hometown paper like the one leading this thread is hype.

I do know you've been on the kid's case from the beginning and rarely miss a chance to take a shot at him. It's become predictably comical. Carry on! I look forward to the next installment.

OZZY
08-06-2010, 12:44 AM
I didn't make a snarky comment about him... I made a snarky comment about idiocy on these boards. There's an important distinction somewhere in there.

I thought the boards where here to discuss our aspirations for the players and the team?

If the head coach of Canada's national team is a fan of Kelly's is that considered an idiotic statement? If fans believe that he has the potential to be a significant player for the Zags over the next three years is that ridiculous?

Just as well we don't need your permission to post on the board.

sittingon50
08-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Let's rein it in here and talk about something a little less polarizing.

So, what about Meech?

;)

Bogozags
08-06-2010, 03:06 PM
For whatever reason, Olynyk is a lightning rod for discussion on the board. I can talk about how Elias Harris is being over hyped quite a bit, but the moment I say a thing about Olynyk I'm branded negatively. This certainly has affected my posts regarding him, but I've always hoped the best for him as a player(despite the supposed attacks).

You are right that this started at the beginning of last year when people were talking about how incredible he played during the Michigan State game given that it was his first NCAA action. He played an almost invisible 17 minutes(except when he was afraid to catch the ball, which resulted in another player getting a turnover) and provided almost no positive contributions(33%fg, 2 boards, 4 fouls, 2 points).

I put up a post about what I found to be misconceptions about that game, and one of the smaller points was that I didn't think Olynyk played well. The thread was the first instance in which I ever really defended my doubts for him as a player because of the amount of people thinking I was crazy for not seeing the same dumbfounding potential, and since then I've seen nothing from him on the court to really change my perception of his future value(and I have expressed that I hope I'm wrong before numerous times).

Despite numerous posters on here being clearly major fans of Canadian basketball, let's not pretend that Canada is anything more than middle of the road when it comes to their senior men's national team. I hope the three guys currently on the Zags can make it into one down the line, but they haven't done much yet. And from the sounds of things, some of the best players eligible to play for Canada routinely don't for some weird political reasons.

Not trying to re-ignite something here but Mal, who on the Zags do you think deserves hype?:confused:

john montana
08-07-2010, 09:23 AM
We are going to suck this year.

webspinnre
08-07-2010, 02:29 PM

We're doomed.

maynard g krebs
08-07-2010, 02:47 PM
Well, the reason I don't think Harris should be getting the hype he's gotten is that last year's draft wasn't a particularly strong draft(when he was projected middle of the 1st round) and he wasn't your normal 18 year old freshmen. We really saw him get worse as the year went on, except for his strong second half against Syracuse in the NCAA tournament.

My impression was that he was playing great until that nasty fall on his tailbone, and wasn't the same after. I could have a faulty memory, though. Wouldn't be the first time.

BobZag
08-07-2010, 05:00 PM
We're doomed.

Hey now!

ronh_pm
08-07-2010, 07:35 PM
The way I read it the Zags sucked last year.

MDABE80
08-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Kelly's a frshman till Sept. I don't remember anyone saying he'd be perfect from the first day. ELias didn't get hyped..he performed from the first day.
We have a team. A team that needs to mature befor it gets past the first weekend. I think frosh are mutant beings who might blossom. Don't expect much and you won't be disappointed. Mutants that they are....we hope they continue to mutate into superior little monsters on the court. Kelly didn't...he'll be fine long term. He does need to mutate though....;)

john montana
08-08-2010, 09:41 AM
The way I read it the Zags sucked last year.

Hah! Good point. I had nearly forgotten.