PDA

View Full Version : Best Shooter in the Country?

ZagInTexas
08-04-2010, 02:33 PM
Just checked out the Portland Summer Report and it of course highlighted Jared Stohl who is a shooting freak (wish he was in a Zags uni). Definitely worth checking out. Check out some highlights and Reveno has some pretty funny things to say about Jared at around the 3:25 mark.

I think he is the best long range shooter in the country. Check the stats: No. 1 in percentage, No. 18 in 3s per game so he does put up a lot of shots. Those two things, for me, spell best shooter in the country. But then I got to thinking, is he the best shooter in the conference? What about McConnell from SMC? He shot 51 percent which would have led the nation had he just put up another 25-30 attempts. Plus he was second in the conf to Stohl in made 3s. Who do you think is better, Stohl or McConnell? Or someone else?

http://www.wccsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/080410aac.html

CDC84
08-04-2010, 03:33 PM
I'd take Stohl, although McConnell is very good. Stohl has a much quicker trigger, and he achieved his percentage without having Big Omar to throw the ball down into for kick outs. Mickey got a lot of open looks last year due to teams double teaming Omar every time he caught the ball.

It's interesting to track Stohl's career. He shot 41.1% from 3 his freshman year, and 45.6% from 3 his sophomore year. He keeps getting better and better.

d2zag
08-04-2010, 04:14 PM
Right now, Stohl. McConnell is really close though. The best pure shooter in the class of 2010 is Keegan Hyland.

theman.themyth.thelegend
08-04-2010, 06:21 PM
If we're just discussing shooting mechanics. . .

Stohl may be the better pure shooter, yet McConnell is on another level as a guard, imo.

Mickey had the best assist-to-turnover ratio in the conference at an astounding 2.5 to 1! :eek:

Also, in addition to MM's savvy play and high bball IQ, McConnell led the WCC conference in 3pt percentage at 51%, was 3rd in assists per game at 5.1, 3rd in FT% at 85%, 4th in steals per game at 1.5, and tied for 8th in scoring at 14 ppg.

Essentially, his stats are just 2 or 3 ppg away from being considered conference POY.

Having said all that, Stohl still has a quicker trigger and pure shot; however Mickey's "rainbow" 3's are something to behold as well.

As a fan, I'm proud to say the WCC features the Top-2 shooters in the country.

MickMick
08-04-2010, 07:55 PM
I think that MM is a more complete guard (that can shoot lights out), but Stohl is the best pure shooter (In the country IMO). Stohl seems to be slightly better with the contested shots as well.

With respect to scoring only, if Stohl could create his own shot, it wouldn't even be a contest.

Edit:

Although I wouldn't exactly call MM a "creator" of his own shot (Seems to be Dellevedova's role), I think he is slightly ahead of Stohl in that regard.

heavyzag
08-04-2010, 09:42 PM
If he was only a little more athletic, but the kid is a gym rat.... Both his folks played college ball and he has been doing shooting drills his entire life

ZagInTexas
08-05-2010, 09:21 AM
As a fan, I'm proud to say the WCC features the Top-2 shooters in the country.

You could be right on with this statement. Stohl and McConnell are deadly from three. I still remember Stohl's desperation falling out of bounds three-pointer at the end of the game against the Zags that nearly went in. He does seem to be better with contested shots and MM seems to be more selective with his attempts.

I think someone mentioned that MM had Omar that attracted a lot of double teams and that is why he got so many open looks. True. But Stohl also had one of the top playmakers in the league in TJ Campbell who often created open looks for him as well. It will be interesting to see how he does without TJ this season and being more of a focal point of opposing defenses.

I think Steven Gray can be in this conversation with more consistency. When Steven is on, he is incredible. He has beautiful form and a quick release, but unlike Stohl or MM, he has good size, and very good elevation on his shot. I would love to see SG put it all together and have a fantastic season but he needs to dramatically improve last year's 32 percent from deep. He needs to be around 40-44 percent next season.

ESB
08-07-2010, 09:18 PM
I think you all are going to be pleasently suprised by incoming freshman Keegan Hyland. I have seen the kid in a game and he is a player.

He can shoot lights out and he can score with either hand around the basket as easy as if he were dunking donuts in a cup of coffee. He can pass and has a great sense of where he is on the floor and what to do with the ball instinctively.

He has a plan. He won't be overly nervous once he gets past his game one butterflies. He has a work ethic that I'm sure any coach in America would hope all their players had. He'll work to make his teamates better.

He's a true freshman and will have to make the obvious adjustments playing at the collegiate level but he will be a contributor this year.

MDABE80
08-07-2010, 10:19 PM
ESB...nice post. Lords knows the staff went far and wide to find him. We hope he's everything you point out. We'd love to have a locked in shooter. Sounds like he's a pretty well rounded kid too...here at GU, we like that in our young men. "Work ethic" based, blue collar basketball is what GU is about.

zagsfanforlife
08-07-2010, 10:56 PM
Take this information for what its worth because I am taking word from third partied friends, but they tell me that they have seen Hyland at a few tournaments with his small AAU team and they said he routinely put up 30-50 points a game against big AAU teams with division 1 prospects across their board. Said the kid is unbelievable and will light up the WCC. This is from an LMU fan, by the way. Cant wait to see how he does. How many days till the season starts??!!!

roxdoc
08-08-2010, 07:40 AM
Less than 90 days to the first exhibition, but who's counting!:)