PDA

View Full Version : Looks like Kelly made the Canadian senior team too

thespywhozaggedme
08-04-2010, 11:10 AM
Got this pm from Ha! (our basketball Canada insider) today and he gave me permission to repost it. He said that there will be two cuts, but believes that Kelly will make it because of size, and versatility (my opinion). So we have three different players on our current roster playing for their respective senior teams in Turkey this summer. Props to us. :D

This is the training camp roster:

Jermaine Anderson
Joel Anthony
Ryan Bell
Denham Brown
Jermaine Bucknor
Aaron Doornekamp
Olu Famutimi
Michael Fraser
Levon Kendall
Tyler Kepkay
Kyle Landry
Kelly Olynyk
Andy Rautins
Robert Sacre
Jevohn Shepherd

No Jesse Young because his dad is very ill. English is also out but I'm sure you already know this.

sanders
08-04-2010, 12:34 PM
Thanks for posting the list.

I think the starting five is pretty much set:

Anderson
Rautins
Famutimi
Kendall
Anthony

Brown and Shepherd should be the primary back ups at the 2 and 3 spots.

Kepkay and Bell will battle it out for the back up point spot, with perhaps both making the roster (Kepkay may play some 2, as he has in past summers).

That leaves 3 or 4 roster spots for:
Bucknor
Doornekamp
Olynyk
Fraser
Landry
Sacre

IMHO Bucknor will be hard pressed to make the squad. Doornekamp provides some versatility (and in some ways is a shorter and better shooting version of Olynyk). They certainly don't need all 3 of these guys.

I think Sacre has a decent shot at making the squad. It may come down to him and Landry.

ZagInTexas
08-04-2010, 01:02 PM
Got this pm from Ha! (our basketball Canada insider) today and he gave me permission to repost it. Said that Matt Bonner practiced with the team today, but is still waiting for final clearance from immigration. He also said that there will be two cuts, but believes that Kelly will make it because of size, and versatility (my opinion). So we have three different players on our current roster playing for their respective senior teams in Turkey this summer. Props to us. :D

This is the training camp roster:

Jermaine Anderson
Joel Anthony
Ryan Bell
Denham Brown
Jermaine Bucknor
Aaron Doornekamp
Olu Famutimi
Michael Fraser
Levon Kendall
Tyler Kepkay
Kyle Landry
Kelly Olynyk
Andy Rautins
Robert Sacre
Jevohn Shepherd

No Jesse Young because his dad is very ill. English is also out but I'm sure you already know this.

Wow! If this ends up being true, this is great news for Kelly and for the Zags. He should/will learn a ton if he gets the chance to be on the team which can only mean great things in the future for the Zags.

thespywhozaggedme
08-04-2010, 03:17 PM
Thanks for posting the list.

I think the starting five is pretty much set:

Anderson
Rautins
Famutimi
Kendall
Anthony

Brown and Shepherd should be the primary back ups at the 2 and 3 spots.

Kepkay and Bell will battle it out for the back up point spot, with perhaps both making the roster (Kepkay may play some 2, as he has in past summers).

That leaves 3 or 4 roster spots for:
Bucknor
Doornekamp
Olynyk
Fraser
Landry
Sacre

IMHO Bucknor will be hard pressed to make the squad. Doornekamp provides some versatility (and in some ways is a shorter and better shooting version of Olynyk). They certainly don't need all 3 of these guys.

I think Sacre has a decent shot at making the squad. It may come down to him and Landry.

Sacre's a lock. The big man rotation of Anthony, Sacre, Kendall and Kelly is pretty decent. I think the odd men out are Bell, as Rautins and Denham Brown can bring the bal up form the 2 as Matt has done for us, and Doornekamp, Bucknor or Fraser.

OZZY
08-04-2010, 03:32 PM
I agree with your starting five Sanders, with English gone Rautins becomes a lock at 2

With Young gone I can't help thinking that the team needs a physical presence like Sacre, they need a mongrel in the middle. Olynyk will battle Fraser, Landry, Bell and Bucknor for the last two spots. Obviously Bonner, if he qualifies may end up taking one of those two spots.

Where the backcourt scoring is going to be coming from will be the main concern. Without English, the most experienced guard, pressure is going to be put on Anderson, Kepkay, Rautins and Shephard. Shephard has shown this summer that he is able to put the ball in the hoop, but this is a step up in competition.

Front court scoring is another issue altogether, with Young gone I believe that it will be scoring by committee. My biggest concern is that Kendall is a little underdone having spent considerable time out of action during the year. Undersized Fraser is the wildcard, I have been following him for awhile and I believe that he also has a bit of mongrel in him that could come in handy.

thespywhozaggedme
08-05-2010, 10:30 PM
The latest from Ha!:

Met Kelly today at the Raptors practice facility along with a couple of other guys. He was in the weight room lifting weights and I expected him to be a stick but his arms looked noticeably bigger than I remember. Could be that he just got off working out. Or that maybe I haven't seen him that close yet. Not as skinny as I thought he would be.

Robert Sacre wasn't in there today because he just got in the night before. The cut will be made probably Saturday night and Leo will let the player know on Sunday.

sanders
08-06-2010, 08:30 AM
An article in today's Globe says the final roster will be announced "Friday" (I assume they mean today rather than next Friday), and that Sacre is expected to make it.

Canada Basketball will release its national team roster at a press conference in Toronto on Friday. It is expected to include Vancouverites Tyler Kepkay, Levon Kendall and Robert Sacre, as well as centre Joel Anthony, a Montrealer who plays for the NBA’s Miami Heat.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/basketball/no-nash-no-yao-no-fans/article1663806/

Re the last couple roster spots, the more I think about it, the more I like Fraser's chances over Landry. My guess as to the final roster (assuming that the inside info re Olynyk is correct and that Bonner will not get his citizenship in time):

Anderson
Rautins
Famutimi
Kendall
Anthony

Kepkay
Brown
Shepherd
Doornekamp
Olynyk
Fraser
Sacre

With Young and English gone its quite a different team from the one that got them into the worlds. The positive is that it opens up opportunities for some of the younger guys (like Sacre and Olynyk) to show what they can do.

thespywhozaggedme
08-06-2010, 08:57 AM
An article in today's Globe says the final roster will be announced "Friday" (I assume they mean today rather than next Friday), and that Sacre is expected to make it.

Canada Basketball will release its national team roster at a press conference in Toronto on Friday. It is expected to include Vancouverites Tyler Kepkay, Levon Kendall and Robert Sacre, as well as centre Joel Anthony, a Montrealer who plays for the NBA’s Miami Heat.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/basketball/no-nash-no-yao-no-fans/article1663806/

Re the last couple roster spots, the more I think about it, the more I like Fraser's chances over Landry. My guess as to the final roster (assuming that the inside info re Olynyk is correct and that Bonner will not get his citizenship in time):

Anderson
Rautins
Famutimi
Kendall
Anthony

Kepkay
Brown
Shepherd
Doornekamp
Olynyk
Fraser
Sacre

With Young and English gone its quite a different team from the one that got them into the worlds. The positive is that it opens up opportunities for some of the younger guys (like Sacre and Olynyk) to show what they can do.

I think Bonner will make it at the last moment, and I'm concerned about starting both Kendall and Anthony, as neither have any scoring ability whatsoever. Actually, I'm not a big LK fan at all; he doesn't rebound well, and he doesn't score well. He's an "intangibles" guy, but on a team that lacks talent, you really can't afford intangibles over talent. If MB does make it at the last minute, I see him and Anthony starting with LK and Rob as the next two bigs in.

sanders
08-06-2010, 03:49 PM
I think Bonner will make it at the last moment, and I'm concerned about starting both Kendall and Anthony, as neither have any scoring ability whatsoever. Actually, I'm not a big LK fan at all; he doesn't rebound well, and he doesn't score well. He's an "intangibles" guy, but on a team that lacks talent, you really can't afford intangibles over talent. If MB does make it at the last minute, I see him and Anthony starting with LK and Rob as the next two bigs in.

I respectfully disagree re Kendall. He is a strong rebounder. In fact, since joining the senior team, he has been Canada's best rebounder. In the Olympic and Worlds qualifying tournaments from 07 through 09, Kendall has 116 rebounds in 398 minutes. That is more rebounds, and more rebounds per minute, than Young, Anthony or Landry.

Rebounds per 30 minutes (2007 through 2009)
Kendall 8.7
Anthony 7.2
Young 6.5

(Dalembert was a rebounding machine in 07, but that is moot now)

I agree that if Bonner gets cleared to play, it would be Kendall who would be bumped from the starting five. But I think he would still play a valuable role as the first big off the bench, and I wouldn't mind him getting more minutes than Anthony (IMHO Anthony's game is more suited to the NBA than FIBA).

In the absence of Bonner, I am not sure where the scoring from the 4 and 5 positions is going to come from (unless Kendall can regain the magic he showed in the U21 upset win over the US back in 05).

But its not like Canada has gotten much scoring from their bigs since Mendez left the program (aside from putbacks by Young). Once again, it will be the wings and guards who will have to score.

skan72
08-11-2010, 01:32 PM
I believe Michael Fraser was the cut. So we're down to 14? Or did we already know that?

Jermaine Anderson
Joel Anthony
Ryan Bell
Denham Brown
Jermaine Bucknor
Aaron Doornekamp
Olu Famutimi
Levon Kendall
Tyler Kepkay
Kyle Landry
Kelly Olynyk
Andy Rautins
Robert Sacre
Jevohn Shepherd

I know Jermaine Anderson was injured for last night's affair with China, and was in street clothes. He's a lock to make it though. After watching last night, I'd say Kyle Landry is getting cut, unless there is some alternate reason explaining why Rautins only played him in the last three or so minutes of the game.

In bold is who I think will make it, maybe you can switch out Famutimi for Doornekamp or Bell, keep in mind I only watched one game. If someone knows some reason why Famutimi played poorly and not very much last night, let me know.

sanders
08-11-2010, 02:27 PM
So is there official word that Fraser has been cut? Or just an educated guess based on him not playing last night?

IMHO Olu is a lock. He has been a starting wing and although Brown and Shepherd got more minutes than Olu last night, I expect all three to play fairly regularly (along with Rautins) at the 2 and 3 spots.

Assuming Fraser is gone, I think the other cuts are Bucknor and Bell. If they decide they need the depth at point rather than up front, Bell makes it and Landry gets cut.

OZZY
08-11-2010, 03:40 PM
So is there official word that Fraser has been cut? Or just an educated guess based on him not playing last night?

IMHO Olu is a lock. He has been a starting wing and although Brown and Shepherd got more minutes than Olu last night, I expect all three to play fairly regularly (along with Rautins) at the 2 and 3 spots.

Assuming Fraser is gone, I think the other cuts are Bucknor and Bell. If they decide they need the depth at point rather than up front, Bell makes it and Landry gets cut.

Agreed re Olu, he is a lock for the team with his experience and versatility. I think that Bell and either Landry/Bucknor will end up getting cut. I am actually surprised that Kelly may make it ahead of Landry considering his experience. If he makes it is because of his basketball IQ and motor as much as his versatility.

skan72
08-11-2010, 04:30 PM

Well, Fraser wasn't even on the roster in the program that was handed out at the door... so I'm assuming he was cut, but again, I don't know for sure.

sanders
08-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks Skan, I didn't know Fraser wasn't on the program.

This Kamloops Daily News article mentions that the roster is down to 14, so paerhaps another indication that Fraser has been cut.

http://www.kamloopsnews.ca/article/20100810/KAMLOOPS0201/308109986/-1/KAMLOOPS02/olynyk-off-to-vancouver-with-senior-national-team