PDA

View Full Version : The Unveiling of the Brackets

BobZag
08-04-2010, 10:32 AM
As opposed to the Silence of the Lambs...er...I mean, tune in to see if Gonzaga gets paired up with K-State, Duke or Marquette in Kansas City, MO., after the Zags play UIPUI and SDSU in K2. Zags are in CBE, in case you forgot.

ESPNAndyKatz Watch ESPNNews at 1:30-2 p.m. Thursday, unveiling brackets for CVC, CBE, Puerto Rico, Maui, Old Spice, 76 Classic, Cancun, Diamond Head.

Pleasant Peninsula
08-04-2010, 11:04 AM
I want another piece of Duke...but preferably not until the championship.

MDABE80
08-04-2010, 11:32 AM

ME TOO! Duke will begin the season at No 1. Might be a tall order.

gozagswoohoo
08-04-2010, 11:59 AM
ME TOO! Duke will begin the season at No 1. Might be a tall order.

I was at the Duke at MSG game, and also hosted a Zags vs Duke viewing party in my home last year....

I WANT SOME REVENGE :mad: :mad: :mad:

cjm720
08-04-2010, 12:59 PM
Give me Duke! Playing the #1 team in the nation is good for so many reasons....

GUZagDenver
08-04-2010, 01:14 PM

Duke will dismantle us again. I want no part of them.

whatazag
08-04-2010, 03:35 PM
Duke will dismantle us again. I want no part of them.

Sadly, this.
We have a decent chance vs Kstate and Marquette, but Duke, not so much.
Can never complain about having a shot at knocking off the number 1 team though.

Kiddwell
08-04-2010, 03:49 PM

Another piece, Pleasant? :o

Kiddwell wishes we'd get the first piece of Duke...as in at least take it down to the wire on these guys. This game (if it happens) might be setting up a little like last season's MSU game, in which the Zags entered the contest as pretty much having no chance (all our new and unknown guys) but led most of the way and almost stole one from Sparty.

Kiddwell would like that scenario this upcoming season with the Dukies...except, in this instance, the Zags do steal one! That is, we dook them for a change! :)

:]

CDC84
08-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Part of me would like to play Marquette first. Not that Marquette won't be tough as well, but playing #1 Duke or Kansas State (150 miles from their campus) is going to be plenty enough. I would like to get out of Kansas City losing no more than 1 game. If the Zags win both games that's even better.

ZagKing09
08-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Another piece, Pleasant? :o

Kiddwell wishes we'd get the first piece of Duke...as in at least take it down to the wire on these guys. This game (if it happens) might be setting up a little like last season's MSU game, in which the Zags entered the contest as pretty much having no chance (all our new and unknown guys) but led most of the way and almost stole one from Sparty.

Kiddwell would like that scenario this upcoming season with the Dukies...except, in this instance, the Zags do steal one! That is, we dook them for a change! :)

:]

agreed, and I would love to see us go on to edge out Marquette after that in an all Jesuit school final :)

zagfan24
08-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Part of me would like to play Marquette first. Not that Marquette won't be tough as well, but playing #1 Duke or Kansas State (150 miles from their campus) is going to be plenty enough. I would like to get out of Kansas City losing no more than 1 game. If the Zags win both games that's even better.

Marquette would be a really interesting game for the Zags. Jimmy Butler is an extremely versatile and athletic player who would be a tough matchup. They also have several talented, albeit inconsistent guards (Johnson-Odom, Buycks, Cadougan) and the incoming Vander Blue. However, the team really lacks size and will sorely miss Lazar Hayward's presence down low....could be a big game for Sacre and Harris.

I'm always in favor of more Jesuit matchups...and since I go to grad school at Marquette, I can't imagine a better time to wear Zags gear around campus.

JAGzag
08-04-2010, 05:55 PM
We ALWAYS seem to play our best basketball early in the season. At least we play tough and win good games. Playing Duke midseason has been a disaster for us, I'd take an early season matchup too!

SteveAztec
08-04-2010, 05:57 PM

That Duke game was ugly last year. I am sure the Zags would to make up for that one.

ZagNative
08-04-2010, 06:07 PM
That Duke game was ugly last year. I am sure the Zags would to make up for that one.Hey you Aztec spy! Pipe down or you'll never get those tickets! :D

Bogozags
08-04-2010, 06:54 PM
Hey you Aztec spy! Pipe down or you'll never get those tickets! :D

Sniff, sniff, sniff...did you say tickets!

cjm720
08-05-2010, 09:17 AM
As opposed to the Silence of the Lambs...er...I mean, tune in to see if Gonzaga gets paired up with K-State, Duke or Marquette in Kansas City, MO., after the Zags play UIPUI and SDSU in K2. Zags are in CBE, in case you forgot.

BUMP...checked espn and didn't see anything. Has anyone seen the brackets?

Angelo Roncalli
08-05-2010, 09:22 AM
BUMP...checked espn and didn't see anything. Has anyone seen the brackets?

Perhaps because its not 1:30 yet (EDT)?

kitzbuel
08-05-2010, 09:37 AM
That's what he gets for using Woohoo's watch.

gozagswoohoo
08-05-2010, 09:50 AM

You guys do this stuff to me on purpose. You are trying to kill me.

BobZag
08-05-2010, 09:55 AM
I'm thinking they'll pit Gonzaga against K-State in the first game with the "hope" that the championship finale will be K-State vs Duke (they should beat Marquette) and a packed arena across the river in KC. Just my guess.

K-State looked awfully good last March.

BobZag
08-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Katz probably meant Eastern Daylight Time, so brackets may be announced 10:30-11:00 out west.

I feel confuzzled like woohoo.

cjm720
08-05-2010, 10:14 AM

Well that was a lot of wasted time yesterday LOL...didn't see the "Thursday" part. Thx.

Go zags...gimme Duke!!

kingzag
08-05-2010, 10:26 AM
Its official. We get K-state first

gozagswoohoo
08-05-2010, 10:32 AM
Its official. We get K-state first

Got a link?

BobZag
08-05-2010, 10:45 AM
Just announced. Zags vs Wildcats.

UW vs Virginia in Maui, then UK looms.

WSU vs Miss. St. in Hawaii.

kingzag
08-05-2010, 10:47 AM
Got it from the Duke scout board. Original link is from the gazzel group.

Tmac5360
08-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Couple of interesting items from Katz post!

Most anticipated set matchup: Kansas State vs. Gonzaga in the CBE semifinals in Kansas City.

Toughest three-game stretch: In the CBE Classic, Gonzaga plays MWC favorite San Diego State at home and then Kansas State in Kansas City and either Marquette or top-ranked Duke.

BobZag
08-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Couple of interesting items from Katz post!

Most anticipated set matchup: Kansas State vs. Gonzaga in the CBE semifinals in Kansas City.

Toughest three-game stretch: In the CBE Classic, Gonzaga plays MWC favorite San Diego State at home and then Kansas State in Kansas City and either Marquette or top-ranked Duke.

A great opportunity for das Zags.

jazzdelmar
08-05-2010, 11:15 AM
a tough stretch but nothing close to the ammo-team's maui treble.....

Drew
08-05-2010, 11:41 AM
UW vs Virginia in Maui, then UK looms.

Will UW make it past Virgina?

BobZag
08-05-2010, 12:04 PM
Will UW make it past Virgina?

When Bennett has near-equal talent, he trumps Romar. But not sure if UVa has the talent yet.

BobZag
08-05-2010, 12:07 PM
If the Zags can pull off W's against San Diego St., K-State and Duke, it has a chance to be the best 3-game stretch in Zags regular season history. Wow.

UberZagFan
08-05-2010, 12:35 PM
That will be a tough 3 game stretch but it's a long ways away. Winning the first two will be a helluva an accomplishment.

zagzilla
08-05-2010, 12:59 PM
Don't we have to win 1 or 2 games in Spokane for the chance to travel to play against possibly K state?

ZZ

Drew
08-05-2010, 01:10 PM
Don't we have to win 1 or 2 games in Spokane for the chance to travel to play against possibly K state?

ZZ

NOpe. Trip is guaranteed.

dawgfather11
08-05-2010, 05:07 PM
I love our draw we are going to run tony bennett out of the building and then come back and do the same thing to UK, IT and the boys been hoping for this matchup, I fully expect to see a UW MSU final.

23dpg
08-05-2010, 08:03 PM
I love our draw we are going to run tony bennett out of the building and then come back and do the same thing to UK, IT and the boys been hoping for this matchup, I fully expect to see a UW MSU final.

I will be rooting for UW in a big way over Kentucky. Yup, I just said that.

MickMick
08-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Duke fans seem confident that they will be playing K State in the final.

I'm starting to dislike that team.

theman.themyth.thelegend
08-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Duke fans seem confident that they will be playing K State in the final.

I'm starting to dislike that team.

Starting to dislike?

I didn't know that was possible with Dook. I always assumed it was innate. ;)

kyle dixon
08-05-2010, 10:28 PM
"I love our draw we are going to run tony bennett out of the building and then come back and do the same thing to UK"

Fairly confident for a team that did not win a road game until February of last year.

Drew
08-06-2010, 12:26 AM
Fairly confident for a team that did not win a road game until February of last year.

Not trying to be negative towards UW, but that's the main reason I asked whether they'd beat Virginia above. After thinking about it more,
UW should win at least 2 games, given all but one player returns and Maui should provide a home team environment. At worst, UW places 3rd.

dawgfather11
08-06-2010, 12:54 AM
"I love our draw we are going to run tony bennett out of the building and then come back and do the same thing to UK"

Don't you mean the best team in the state and also the team that went farther in the tournament? Yes pretty darn confident but the tourney didn't give us the 2 seed because we are a slouch :P

d2zag
08-06-2010, 01:39 AM
Don't you mean the best team in the state and also the team that went farther in the tournament? Yes pretty darn confident but the tourney didn't give us the 2 seed because we are a slouch :P

I think we would all love to see who the best team in the state is! We did see who was the best in the state for 8 out of 9 years...But now sadly we can't thanks to some, er, scheduling difficulties shall we say. Congrats on the Sweet Sixteen, it really shows you're a better team than us. Good luck in Maui, Kentucky-UW should be fun to watch :P

JohnOGU
08-06-2010, 04:12 AM

Don't get it twisted, the only decent team you played in the tourny was Marquette.

I dont know how you expect to get past UK, especially without Pondexter who carried UW through many games last year. Probably more wishful thinking than anything.

And dont sleep on Vrginia...they wont be a cakewalk.

MickMick
08-06-2010, 06:55 AM
Would love to have seen what Wesley Johnson and Andy Rautins would have done to the Dawgs.

VinnyZag
08-06-2010, 07:15 AM
That will be a tough 3 game stretch but it's a long ways away. Winning the first two will be a helluva an accomplishment.

Good preparation for the NCAAs -- SDSU is about right for a second-round game, K-State a Sweet 16 game and Duke an Elite Eight game.

MickMick
08-06-2010, 07:34 AM
Good preparation for the NCAAs -- SDSU is about right for a second-round game, K-State a Sweet 16 game and Duke and Elite Eight game.

Winning this thing would just about lock the Zags into a NCAA tournament invite. They would have to completely fall apart in conference to get snubbed.

Still worried about our offense though. I'm not confident about the CBE.

Reborn
08-06-2010, 07:58 AM
What a great preconference schedule. Great job by Jerry Krause and staff. For me the toughness of this schedule is an indication of how good the staff thinks the Zags are. To be able to play Kansas St and either Duke or Marquette is just great for the Zags, and I think it's great for college hoops. It's such an honor for us to be in this calibur of a tournament. And then throw in San Diego St at K2 and it's easy to see we're off to a good start. As a fan, it seems to me that our preconference schedule just keeps getting better every year. I love the opportunity to get to play Kansas St this year, and most likely Marquette. So many of us have wanted to play Marquette for a long time so this year may be our chance. I think it will be a great game if we get to play them. If we play Duke, I also think it will be a great game. They lose more than we do in my opinion. If we play them we just might beat them this year.

Colbyspapa
08-06-2010, 10:18 AM
The board is back to arguing with Dawgfather and other UW Fans about how great they are... wonderful. Huskies, put up or shut up. Play us and beat us, until then, you can't claim the best program in Washington.

You will not beat UVA. Bennett is a better coach vs. Romar. ACC is better than Pac 10 this year. Sorry.

Thought I should post this link for those who can't find it. It looks like Katz thinks K-State is a National contender this year. They return 3 starters from an Elite 8 run. Should be a tough game for our Zags.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/blog/_/name/katz_andy/id/5440263/looking-ahead-early-season-tourneys

kyle dixon
08-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Great link Colby. Thanks for sharing. K-State is going to have one helluva team and this will be a great early season test for the Zags especially in a hostile environment.

CDC84
08-06-2010, 11:33 AM
What's interesting about a possible UK/UW matchup is that Enes Kanter may end up being ineligible anyway.

I think with Kansas State people have to keep in mind that they lost Denis Clemente. That's a huge deal. They are still going to be awfully good, but national title contender....I think people may need to see more.

Tmac5360
08-06-2010, 11:40 AM
CDC, I was thinking about that last night and I think it compares a lot to what GU lost in Bouldin. The Clemente kid was a big deal for them. But your right they will still be very good. Should be a great matchup!

Saxon_zag
08-06-2010, 01:59 PM

This post is one of the worst things about Romar not wanting to play us anymore. UW fans can go around and make claims without having much to back it up because we can't see UW and the zags on the court together. I have the same arguments with a lot of my UW friends on a weekly basis Lol. The consensus seems to be since they made it to the sweet 16 they were clearly better than the zags (and the husky fans make sure to point out the Duke game last year to help back their point). I guess in there minds getting a better draw in the tournament= better team

siliconzag
08-06-2010, 02:17 PM
That is a tough draw. I would have preferred the Jebbie team first and the winner of the other two second.

Knowing Kansas City fairly well, I can tell you that the KU fans in attendance at that game (who would be snooping mostly), will tend to be for the Zags. They hate KSU, and it goes way back. They will not sit on their hands. The Zag fans will be vastly outnumbered. I would be surprised if the Zags stay within 10. I expect a defeat and we get to play the Golden Eagles in the "losers round." That would be a winnable game, but not if our three point defense fails to improve.

What I can say without any doubt whatsoever is that Arthur Bryants and Gates Barbecue are the best in town. I recommend trying both. I do believe that Kansas City Barbecue is better than Memphis, but recognize that each town has it's followers.

Kansas City has some awesome restaurants. The Savoy is a fantastic place in old town. The Plaza has numerous wonderful spots and is one of the nicest places in town to hang out. Kansas City is beautiful believe it or not. The only city in the world with more fountains is Rome. Harry Truman museum in Independence is worth a visit.

Sarenyon
08-06-2010, 05:43 PM
The Liberty Memorial and National WWI museum, as well as the Negro Legue and American Jazz museum are also great spots to visit. I'm still incredibly pissed that I just left the area (I think the Army and the Man are related, DWTM :mad: ) the year the Zags will be in the CBE. Oh yeah, the CBE right next to the Sprint Center (part of it, actually) is cool too.

I think we could have a great chance against K-State and even Duke. Our historical showing in ealy season games gives me hope.

maynard g krebs
08-06-2010, 06:32 PM
This post is one of the worst things about Romar not wanting to play us anymore. UW fans can go around and make claims without having much to back it up because we can't see UW and the zags on the court together. I have the same arguments with a lot of my UW friends on a weekly basis Lol. The consensus seems to be since they made it to the sweet 16 they were clearly better than the zags (and the husky fans make sure to point out the Duke game last year to help back their point). I guess in there minds getting a better draw in the tournament= better team

Give 'em some gravel to put in their gizzards. Helps them with digestion, and they do less clucking, for a few minutes at least.

dawgfather11
08-06-2010, 07:07 PM

Just curious you honestly could look me in the eye and say GU would have beat marquette? Really though the only thing we have to go on is tourney success which UW is currently fairing better with. Oh and FWIW the zags are the ones who refused to restart the series, it's quite funny how you guys forget that. I'll stop ruffling your feathers though if you all really can't handle it :(

Anyways, K State could be real good next year, it will be an interesting matchup to see how the zags handle them.

dawgfather11
08-06-2010, 07:09 PM
I think we would all love to see who the best team in the state is! We did see who was the best in the state for 8 out of 9 years...But now sadly we can't thanks to some, er, scheduling difficulties shall we say. Congrats on the Sweet Sixteen, it really shows you're a better team than us. Good luck in Maui, Kentucky-UW should be fun to watch :P

Thnx d2! I wish tickets weren't so darn hard to come by with the low rates alaska has had this week would be alot of fun!

dawgfather11
08-06-2010, 07:11 PM
Don't get it twisted, the only decent team you played in the tourny was Marquette.

I dont know how you expect to get past UK, especially without Pondexter who carried UW through many games last year. Probably more wishful thinking than anything.

And dont sleep on Vrginia...they wont be a cakewalk.

why wouldn't we expect to blow past UK? A veteran team vs a team that will be playing almost all freshman and will most likely be with the best one of the bunch. Not to mention a team that is fully motivated after the stuff Terrance Jones pulled? Also FWIW Virginia is a cake walk, there is a reason they were seeded below everyone but chaminade.

kyle dixon
08-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Anyway back to the beginning of the thread, K-State, Duke, and Marquette will be a great field and will make for a great Novemeber. Hopefully, we fare well down in KC--

siliconzag
08-07-2010, 08:00 AM
I was there. It was a very close game. Could have gone either way. Big mental errors by the Golden Eagles in the waning moments, and some very lucky bounces and breaks for the Huskies. Though I am Washington born, and rooted for the Huskies against UNM, I was for Marquette (Jesuit affiliations trump state of birth) at that game. It was a dilly, and I am not sure the Zags could have matched up as well as the Huskies did. The last 5 minutes of that game was characterized by an inexplicable collapse of concentration by the Golden Eagles, and focused and exploitative play by the Huskies. But of course when all we are left with is fantasy games, one can never tell, Dawgfather. And by the way, Bulldogs don't have feathers, so you can't ruffle them. But I heard chickens do. Sili

maynard g krebs
08-07-2010, 02:38 PM
I am not sure the Zags could have matched up as well as the Huskies did.

Disagree. This was a sweet matchup for the Huskies, whose weakness was interior play against teams with size (see West Virginia). Marquette, while a great shooting team, was smaller than a lot of hs teams. And UW still needed maybe their best outside shooting game of the year to pull it out, despite being essentially the home team vs a team traveling 2 time zones.

GU would feed the post all night against that Lilliputian team and foul out their 6'6 posts, and dominate the glass. GU's weakness defending the 3 would of course be a factor, and a hot Marquette team beats GU, but if they shoot their 40% ave. from 3, GU wins 6-7 of 10.

Marquette scored like 53 in losing to a big but unskilled FSU team last year, a team GU handled despite traveling 3 time zones.

siliconzag
08-07-2010, 05:39 PM
Disagree. This was a sweet matchup for the Huskies, whose weakness was interior play against teams with size (see West Virginia). Marquette, while a great shooting team, was smaller than a lot of hs teams. And UW still needed maybe their best outside shooting game of the year to pull it out, despite being essentially the home team vs a team traveling 2 time zones.

GU would feed the post all night against that Lilliputian team and foul out their 6'6 posts, and dominate the glass. GU's weakness defending the 3 would of course be a factor, and a hot Marquette team beats GU, but if they shoot their 40% ave. from 3, GU wins 6-7 of 10.

Marquette scored like 53 in losing to a big but unskilled FSU team last year, a team GU handled despite traveling 3 time zones.

Maybe so Maynard, but what about the main points of the thread? Notice I said, I was not sure. OK you just convinced me, although our record against Marquette in recent years is 0-1. The prime point of the thread, and it was not meant for Zag fans but for those braggarts over on Montlake: 1) The Huskies were darn lucky to beat Marquette and it was not what you would call a decisive victory, and 2) No Bulldogs can have their "feathers ruffled" since we are not an aviary species. That would be the exclusive purview of the UW, Chickens that they are :) In other words, MGK, I am willing to concede that we might have matched up as well (it is what I should have written), but not that the UW was that great in last year's tournament. They certainly would have fared no better in a hostile court in Buffalo.

maynard g krebs
08-07-2010, 06:16 PM
Maybe so Maynard, but what about the main points of the thread? Notice I said, I was not sure. OK you just convinced me, although our record against Marquette in recent years is 0-1. The prime point of the thread, and it was not meant for Zag fans but for those braggarts over on Montlake: 1) The Huskies were darn lucky to beat Marquette and it was not what you would call a decisive victory, and 2) No Bulldogs can have their "feathers ruffled" since we are not an aviary species. That would be the exclusive purview of the UW, Chickens that they are :) In other words, MGK, I am willing to concede that we might have matched up as well (it is what I should have written), but not that the UW was that great in last year's tournament. They certainly would have fared no better in a hostile court in Buffalo.

Agree 100%.

MickMick
08-09-2010, 03:01 PM
Zags would have beat Marquette and New Mexico. Florida State would have beaten UDub.

Callin it like I see it.