PDA

View Full Version : If either Steven or Elias DON'T win this year's WCC POY...

Kiddwell
08-03-2010, 04:07 PM
...then who? The article below makes a case for the best WCC returnees. Seems to Kiddwell that only LMU's Vernon Teel and Drew Viney are in the race.

If Sikma's on the list (no disrespect intended) then our Robert Sacre ought to be on it too.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/428028-best-of-the-west-coast-conference-returning-players#page/1

:]

BobZag
08-03-2010, 04:42 PM
Mickey McConnell should be in the conversation.

flutieflakes
08-03-2010, 05:01 PM
I might actually put him as favorite. His points should go up with Samhan gone.

2009-10: 2.35 A/T, 5 APG, 51% FG, 84% FT, 51%(!) FG.

I think it comes down to him or Harris, unless Sacre makes The Leap.

theman.themyth.thelegend
08-03-2010, 05:07 PM
...then who? The article below makes a case for the best WCC returnees. Seems to Kiddwell that only LMU's Vernon Teel and Drew Viney are in the race.

:]

Hard to discount Keion Bell as an individual talent, yet his team won't be much of a contender this season, so he may be out of the discussion no matter his stats/production. Having said that, the WCC POY award has typically--save SCU's John Bryant--been rewarded to one of the best players on a top seeded team. IF the award goes to another player besides one of our boys then I believe these players, along with Drew Viney & Vernon Teel, will be in contention alongside Elias & Steven:

--Keion Bell
--Mickey McConnell
--Matt Dellavedovananana
--Rob Jones, perhaps?

There is a ton of young talent in the conference this season, so a surprise player may appear from the shadows as the season progresses.

thespywhozaggedme
08-03-2010, 06:57 PM
Dellevadova

OZZY
08-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Agree on Della, McConnell and Bell, but also if Foster takes SCU on his back and gets them in to the top 4 he should also be considered.

MickMick
08-03-2010, 07:49 PM
All good mentions. Kevin Foster's injury has people forgetting what great potential he showed in his freshman campaign. Bell was very good in K2 as well.

My dark, darkhorse is Ashley Hamilton for LMU. I still can't forget what he did to the Zags last year. Man....the Lions seem loaded this year. They got a lot of unexpected play (read experience) from their freshmen due to injury last season. Often, the conference champ provides the MVP. If LMU takes it (I'm not ruling them out), I have to believe they have two to three players capable of winning it.

If I could pick any one player in the WCC (like choosing a fantasy team), my first choice would be Elias Harris. Doesn't necessarily mean he will win MVP though.

gamagin
08-03-2010, 08:18 PM
All good mentions. Kevin Foster's injury has people forgetting what great potential he showed in his freshman campaign. Bell was very good in K2 as well.

My dark, darkhorse is Ashley Hamilton for LMU. I still can't forget what he did to the Zags last year. Man....the Lions seem loaded this year. They got a lot of unexpected play (read experience) from their freshmen due to injury last season. Often, the conference champ provides the MVP. If LMU takes it (I'm not ruling them out), I have to believe they have two to three players capable of winning it.

If I could pick any one player in the WCC (like choosing a fantasy team), my first choice would be Elias Harris. Doesn't necessarily mean he will win MVP though.

It's Elias' or SG's, or RS's to win. Or lose, imo. Depending on whether they reach their perceived potential & the Zags win the regular season WCC.

If not, the WCC winner's impact player will get it, I'm predicting. In other words, the favorites gotta want it and show it to win it.

sittingon50
08-03-2010, 10:33 PM
Meech. (:D )

bigblahla
08-04-2010, 04:12 AM
Viney is special but there is so much top shelf talent in the WCC this coming season. There's a sleeper at SCU he won't be player of the year but watch out for Niyi Harrison as this young man could get scary real fast.

Go!! Zags!!!

titopoet
08-04-2010, 05:04 AM
I might actually put him as favorite. His points should go up with Samhan gone.

2009-10: 2.35 A/T, 5 APG, 51% FG, 84% FT, 51%(!) FG.

Though with a lack of an inside presence, his percentages will probably go down. No inside to his outside, and I don't think he has the wheels to create his own shot at this level. Dellavedova will see a rise though.

All in all the three best players in the WCC wear Zags on the jerseys: Gray, Sacre and ... WCC MVP favorite Harris.

cjm720
08-04-2010, 06:14 AM
Steven Gray...it's his turn...big things are going to happen.

Go Zags!!!

pbriz
08-04-2010, 08:12 AM
We keep talking about the 3 headed monster of Sacre, Harris, and Gray but I think we are really missing the value that Arop is going to bring to the team. He was easily my favorite player last year and I can't see that changing this year.

Arop has all the tools..... shooting, driving, defense, and I suppose he can rebound the ball pretty well too. Arop is the type of player that gets a team to an extra weekend come March. He needs serious time on the court. Arop is to the Zags is similar to how Rondo is to the Celtics. Never mentioned with the big 3 but absolutely critical to the team.

Due to these four players I don't see the Zags getting POY next year because there will be too much balance. Harris will make a case but I see it going to Viney or Dellavadova.

U Zig, I Zag
08-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Goes like this:

Elias has a monster WCC year (with some monster OOC games to to tilt 'the favor') and we lose one or two Conf games then it's his. He is the best player in the league with the brightest future post NCAA (as of this point based on what we know about WCC players - SMC fans have nightmares about Elias' put-back slam down in Morega last year).

Steven has a great year as the top perimeter defender in the Conf, leader of the best team in the Conf and he can get 15/16 (pts) a game and we lose only one, or go undefeated then it's Steven's to win.

If Zags stink it up, lose two to someone like SMC and someone like MM has an excellent year he could get it. Delladovododa can't win based on jersey fit alone. This is the West Coast, got to represent!

* would love SMC to get new unis this year. Can't we call in a Nike favor?

** edit: we go undefeated I can't see any possible way that a Zag doesn't get it. Nobody will put up Samhan #'s next year on any team.

UberZagFan
08-04-2010, 11:44 AM
If either Steven or Elias DON'T win this year's WCC POY...
...then who?

Well, it's going to be either Gray or Harris, so why ask. :D

And Uber says its Harris. If Elias has serious thoughts about being a lottery, he better be the best player in the WCC this year. If he and Gray both have outstanding years, Uber can see Gray getting it because he's a senior.

ZagInTexas
08-04-2010, 01:24 PM
Well, it's going to be either Gray or Harris, so why ask. :D

And Uber says its Harris. If Elias has serious thoughts about being a lottery, he better be the best player in the WCC this year. If he and Gray both have outstanding years, Uber can see Gray getting it because he's a senior.

If not Gay or Harris, which I think it will be Gray since GU seniors seem to dominate the award, then I think it will be:

1. Viney (stud who scores and rebounds and LMU should contend for title)
2. Foster (dude was averaging 19 a game last season before injury)
3. McConnell (Like his game a lot. Very crafty with the ball and can really shoot)
4. Bell (Maybe the best all around scorer in the WCC. Won't win because team is terrible. Dior Lowhorn anyone?)
5. Teel (Another LMU stud. Very athletic guard who scores, rebounds, and passes well)

sanders
08-06-2010, 08:33 AM
Harris, Dellavadova or Foster.

gmo
08-08-2010, 05:47 PM
pretty amazing roll the Zags are on with this award as you all know...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Coast_Conference_Men%27s_Basketball_Player_of _the_Year

interesting that a Portland player has never won it.

810Suited
08-10-2010, 03:56 AM
Meech is the darkhorse candidate

gozagswoohoo
08-10-2010, 07:42 AM
Top Quiz:

If Steven Gray wins the WCC POY award, will he be the first person that is named Steven (or Steve) Gray to win the award?

jpwils
08-10-2010, 07:54 AM
Harris and Foster are my favs.

McConnell had a great year last year but can he create more on his own without kickouts from HamSan?? Dellie could be a darkhorse.

Gray needs to step up and if he does could also contend.