PDA

View Full Version : OT: Jai Lucas to Florida

TM27
05-14-2007, 09:04 PM
Jai Lucas is going to be a gator....

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/news/story?id=2870197

MickMick
05-14-2007, 10:12 PM
The word is...where Lucas goes, Patrick Patterson is not far behind. What a coup for Florida. They were not even in the discussion until late into the process for these two. The Duke fans had an eye on them, but considered it a long shot (to get both). The same cannot be said for Kentucky fans. They wanted Patterson in the worst way, and to take him they had open arms for Lucas (although the extra guard could be problematic for them). Worse yet, the kids signed with a SEC rival. Sad night for the Wildcat faithful.

CDC84
05-15-2007, 08:51 AM
I will just be thankful when it's all over. I'm sick & tired of hearing about the saga of these 2 players on all of the recruiting sites.

Then again, it has always been my theory that many of these kids who wait until the last second to make a school choice are half doing so because of all the attention and hype it brings them.

RebornZag
05-15-2007, 04:18 PM
I don't know CDC if there waiting needs the kind of interpretation you give it. I kind of doubt that Lucus is a self-centered individual...if his dad who I think he is. I look forward to a brilliant career for Lucus. I was a huge fan of his father. He's not only a great basketball player but a great man. Billy Donovan, once again is proving that he can get some pretty quality players. I believe Billy looks for a lot more than the number of stars when he recruits, and I believe he only had one 5 star player on this championship team, and I belive NO Mc D's. Billy, and I think like Mark Few, molds his players. Before this last Florida team I really don't believe Billy D was any more successful than Mark Few. And has been said before...the change Billy made (because he understood that axiom that if you keep doing what you've been doing, you're going to keep getting what you've been gettin) was that he went out and got himself a defensive coach. I hope that is what Few has done. I believe that Defensive Players must be made and taught just like offensive ones. It just has to, at some point, become a PRIORITY.

I really like what Billy D is doing in Florida and I hope we begin to chase him, and beat him real soon like we did in '99. I'm glad to see the two kids sign with Florida. Better there then Kentucky....ANYTIME!!!

CDC84
05-15-2007, 06:26 PM
Patterson is also supposed to be a really good kid with solid parents as well.

All I am saying is that there is an alarming amount of kids who wait until the last second to make a school choice that either: 1) are headcases OR 2) not as good as advertised. Tubby had a number of them during his Kentucky years. We were all led to believe Darrell Arthur at Kansas was instant NBA material. Maybe one day, but he is wildly inconsistent, and a bit undersized. Lance Thomas at Duke? One of the grand disappointments of the 2006 class.

Perhaps these two will be different. Although I do know that Patterson is kind of stuck between positions. He's probably going to have to be a wing in the pros, but what he can offer now is what he does in the post.

BTW -- Lucas did make a really good school choice. They have an obvious need for a PG, and Lucas looks to me like a 4 year player.

RebornZag
05-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Thanks for the classy response, CDC. I can see why you're a 5 star Mod. It seems little wise to me to wait on certain schools that have guys who may be going pro. Speaking of going pro...do you know if Pondexter from the U W is going into the draft?

CDC84
05-15-2007, 08:59 PM
I have no idea if Pondexter is going pro. If he's thinking about it, he probably should avoid those thoughts. He needs more development and consistency....at least based on what I've seen.

Oahuzag
05-15-2007, 11:12 PM
I don't think thats going to happen. I think the date to declare for this years draft has past- now the players that have already declared and have not hired an agent can withdraw up to June 18.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/nba/draft2007/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=InOut

CDC84
05-16-2007, 02:12 PM
Gillispie got him...just the first of many elite players he will get.