PDA

View Full Version : The official GU boards Nike Global Challenge 2010 thread

OZZY
08-02-2010, 11:57 PM
As Spy alerted us to last week the Canadian team for the Global challenge contains two players that the Zag staff are going after very strongly, Kyle Wiltjer and Kevin Pangos.

Here is the link to the team page which is a little inacurrate but at least has the last names right.

http://www.nikeglobalchallenge.com/ngc10_teams/canada.htm.

As ZN alluded to earlier today, Oregon Live have covered the event very well int he past and I hope that we can get the same level of coverage this year.....It should be found here>

http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/boysbasketball/

Canada can't look past INSEP first up, as it is so hard to know what they will be up against, a hot shooting day for the French could make it difficult. If they win they will face USA Midwest in the 2nd game, a team that includes SG Bradley Beal (who has really blown up this summer) and fellow top 10 (ESPN) SG Ben McLemore. Highly rated PF Anthony Davis and C Amir Williams are also on this team so Canada will have to bring its "A" game to advance into the finals like they did last year.

Obviously Canada has one advantage in that they will have some familiarity with each other and hopefully some of this team play will help them through to the finals. while saying that, it can be said that this is the most athletic Canadian team I have seen, with players like Kabongo, Birch, Bennett and Wiggins able to match their American counterparts when it comes to jaw dropping plays. Just remember Wiggins is a 2014.

I do hope that some Zag supporters are able to make the games (wearing Bulldog gear of course) and cheering on both prospects. Any reports from the games would be really appreciated as the closest I will get to them will be this computer ;( Any takes on Bhullar and Birch would also be interesting...

http://www.nikeglobalchallenge.com/index.htm

BobZag
08-03-2010, 09:13 AM
Nice post, ozzy. Go Kyle, go Kevin!

LMUZAG
08-03-2010, 01:37 PM
Friday may be my only chance, but looking forward to seeing Kevin and Kyle take on France.

ZagNative
08-03-2010, 02:27 PM
Maxpreps - Players to Watch at the Nike Global Clallenge (http://www.maxpreps.com/news/ktdaxJ82Ed-YiQAcxJSkrA/complete-nike-global-challenge-rosters,-players-to-watch.htm):
10 Players to Watch

Ulysse Adjabga, France: Adjabga has been a staple at the point guard position on French youth teams that have experienced a great deal of success internationally in recent years.

Bradley Beal, USA Midwest: The St. Louis guard and Florida Gator commitment has had a great summer, including MVP honors at the FIBA U17 World Championship and leading his circuit team to a pair of major tournament finals.

Sim Bhullar, Canada: Can this 7-foot-4 giant really play? Most reports over the summer indicate Bhullar has serious potential.

Jabari Brown, USA West: The Oakland (Calif.) High School guard was spectacular two weeks ago in Las Vegas and it will be interesting to see if he can maintain that level of play against even tougher completion in Hillsboro.

Anthony Davis, USA Midwest: Nobody has improved their stock more since April than Davis, who is listed at 6-9 and 187 pounds for the event. The rising senior attends Perspectives Charter in Chicago.

Nick Faust, USA West/South: This will be my first glimpse of Faust. Like Davis, Faust wasn't a huge name coming out of his junior year at City College in Baltimore, but he has blown up on the summer circuit.

Kevin Pangos, Canada: One of the top performers at the FIBA U17 World Championship in Germany earlier this summer, Pangos would be a Top 100 prospect if he played high school ball in the United States.

Austin Rivers, USA East: "The Artist" is capable of putting up 35 or 40 points on any given weekend. Will the Winter Garden, Fla., scoring guard explode this weekend?

Adonis Thomas, USA West/South: The Memphis wing always seems to provide highlights, but also does the little things to help his team win.

Andrew Wiggins, Canada: The 6-6 wing has been touted as Canada's best prospect ever. Barely 16 years old, Wiggins posted 20 points in the semifinals of the FIBA U17 World Championship against the United States.

ZagNative
08-03-2010, 02:57 PM
Christophe tweets (http://twitter.com/ChristopheEPcom) about the French roster, in response to a request from Travis Margoni for comments:
@travismargoni Abit of a strang team. You can find info on some players on my website. Biggest prospect in my opinion is Paschal

5:19 AM Aug 2nd via Digsby in reply to travismargoni

ChristopheEPcom
EuropeanProspectsMargoni has a post up about the event here (http://www.beyondthebeat.net/20100802480/2010-articles/july/ready-for-the-world-the-nike-global-challange.html), but it only talks about the players for the USA teams, which I don't believe include any Zag current prospects.

Sidenote: I do remember there being a bit of a stir here on guboards last year regarding Fabien Paschal ...

BobZag
08-03-2010, 04:55 PM
I was advocating Fabien. :) Ahh well, maybe next year!

Player
08-03-2010, 06:46 PM
Nice review post of the key players.
Bhullar is still a project but has improved tremendously over the year.
Pangos - nothing but great potential
Wiggins - definitely a star in the making. This good at 15 and can only get better. The kid has got 'it'

ZagNative
08-04-2010, 05:38 PM
From OregonLive.com (http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-6979832608199823815/nike-global-challenge-nigerian-basketball-team-scratches-over-visa-issues/):
Nike Global Challenge: Nigerian basketball team scratches over visa issues
The Oregonian, August 04, 2010 10:51 a.m.

The Nigerian basketball team scheduled to compete at the Nike Global Challenge this weekend was unable to secure necessary travel visas and will be unable to participate. In its place will be a fourth team from the United States.

The Nike Global Challenge features international competition among top high school players from the United States (divided into four teams) and similarly aged players from other nations. The event runs Friday through Sunday at Liberty High School in Hillsboro.

Jesuit's Kyle Wiltjer (class of 2011) is on Canada's team, and the United States teams are expected to include most of the top 20 players in ESPN's rankings for the class of 2011.

That's a shame.

OZZY
08-04-2010, 08:35 PM
From OregonLive.com (http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-6979832608199823815/nike-global-challenge-nigerian-basketball-team-scratches-over-visa-issues/):

That's a shame.

Agreed ZN.

Canada now play USA East first up, out of the frying pan and now into the fire! the team has three of the top 10 ranked (ESPN) players in SG Rivers(2) , PF Macdoo (5) and C Christmas (8). They also have three strong Wings in Dorian Finney-Smith, Michael Gbinjie and P.J. Hairston. Canada has a slight advantage in Point gaurds with Kabongo and Pangos.

LMUZag, you will be in for a good game, we expect a report now.....:)

BRAY88
08-05-2010, 03:37 PM
Maxpreps - Players to Watch at the Nike Global Clallenge (http://www.maxpreps.com/news/ktdaxJ82Ed-YiQAcxJSkrA/complete-nike-global-challenge-rosters,-players-to-watch.htm):

Wiggins has been called Canada's Version of Lebron James

OZZY
08-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Had a quick check of the Roster today, Canada's listed team has changed.

Myck Kabongo is not listed now, and Kevin Thomas is also gone. Negus Webster-Chan has been added though. Team not as strong without the "Kamakazi Kid" Kabongo running the point, IMO at this stage Kabongo would be better equipped to deal with the athletic pg's the American teams will have. Pangos becomes the focal point with Chan now his backup. This may be good for the Zags as this will now be Kevin's team to run. He and Kyle will get a chance to play quality minutes together. The more the Canadians play a "team" concept the better Kevin will show his abilities.

I was actually suprised that Chan wasn't named in the first place. The team may be a little light on minutes up front without Thomas (from what I hear Bhullar is not a 30 mpg guy).

Coaching change as well as Vidal Massiah now assistant, where I believe that Rana was before.

If you are wondering why the change, perhaps it has somethig to do with Grassroots as both Thomas and Kabongo are part of that AAU organisation......

ZagNative
08-05-2010, 04:13 PM
Coaching change as well as Vidal Massiah now assistant, where I believe that Rana was before.

If you are wondering why the change, perhaps it has somethig to do with Grassroots as both Thomas and Kabongo are part of that AAU organisation......My recollection was that Rana was the third assistant, but clearly he's not shown on the coaching staff now.

Very interesting ... Wonder what's shakin'.

OZZY
08-05-2010, 04:29 PM
One other thing of note, The organisers have split the 3 USA teams into four as mentioned, previously and have hads to re-jig the rosters to spread out the 30 players amongst 4 teams.
Actually there are now 33 players so 3 have been added (see below for Zag angle)USA East now is missing Bradley Beal and P.J Hairston.

USA West now has GBJ, Nick Johnston and Jabari Brown as well as Johnny O'Bryant...It will be facinating to see how Gary meshes with Johnston and Brown (given that they have played with each other on Oakland Soldiers all summer long).

Would love to see a Canada vs USA West final......

ZagNative
08-05-2010, 04:37 PM
One other thing of note, The organisers have split the 3 USA teams into four as mentioned, previously and have hads to re-jig the rosters to spread out the 30 players amongst 4 teams.
Actually there are now 33 players so 3 have been added (see below for Zag angle)USA East now is missing Bradley Beal and P.J Hairston.

USA West now has GBJ, Nick Johnston and Javri Brown as well as Johnny O'Bryant...It will be facinating to see how Gary meshes with Johnston and Brown (given that they have played with each other on Oakland Soldiers all summer long).

Would love to see a Canada vs USA West final......Wow! I had not seen Gary Bell on a roster for Nike Global Challenge before! He was not on the original list of USA players (pdf file and the bottom of the main page). I see Austin Kuemper's on that team too.

Gonna be a Zoo!

thespywhozaggedme
08-05-2010, 04:52 PM

Myck Kabongo is not listed now, and Kevin Thomas is also gone. Negus Webster-Chan has been added though. Team not as strong without the "Kamakazi Kid" Kabongo running the point, IMO at this stage Kabongo would be better equipped to deal with the athletic pg's the American teams will have. Pangos becomes the focal point with Chan now his backup. This may be good for the Zags as this will now be Kevin's team to run. He and Kyle will get a chance to play quality minutes together. The more the Canadians play a "team" concept the better Kevin will show his abilities.

I was actually suprised that Chan wasn't named in the first place. The team may be a little light on minutes up front without Thomas (from what I hear Bhullar is not a 30 mpg guy).

If you are wondering why the change, perhaps it has somethig to do with Grassroots as both Thomas and Kabongo are part of that AAU organisation......

Ro Russell plain and simple. He's a very shady dude. I'll just leave it at that.

Bogozags
08-05-2010, 04:54 PM
I might have missed this but am going to ask anyway...is there any TV coverage of this event?

ZagNative
08-05-2010, 05:57 PM
I doubt it - there wasn't TV last year - but as I mentioned in another post, last year Oregon Live posted some pretty terrific highlight videos.

23dpg
08-05-2010, 06:40 PM
http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/9048604619831816360/nike-global-challenge-jesuits-kyle-wiltjer-eager-for-second-shot-in-international-tournament/

ZagNative
08-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Thanks, 23dpg. Enjoyed that piece, especially the great photo of Kyle.

MickMick
08-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Wow! I had not seen Gary Bell on a roster for Nike Global Challenge before! He was not on the original list of USA players (pdf file and the bottom of the main page). I see Austin Kuemper's on that team too.

Gonna be a Zoo!

This blows me away. Bell is really moving up in the food chain.

LMUZAG
08-06-2010, 11:18 AM
Agreed ZN.

Canada now play USA East first up, out of the frying pan and now into the fire! the team has three of the top 10 ranked (ESPN) players in SG Rivers(2) , PF Macdoo (5) and C Christmas (8). They also have three strong Wings in Dorian Finney-Smith, Michael Gbinjie and P.J. Hairston. Canada has a slight advantage in Point gaurds with Kabongo and Pangos.

LMUZag, you will be in for a good game, we expect a report now.....:)

With the schedule change I will not be able to watch Canada's opening game :( I will watch Sunday's game whenever they play. The consolation prize for today is instead of Canada I will watch Gary Bell.

BobZag
08-06-2010, 01:54 PM
With the schedule change I will not be able to watch Canada's opening game :( I will watch Sunday's game whenever they play. The consolation prize for today is instead of Canada I will watch Gary Bell.

That's what we call a win-win situation. :)

LMUZAG
08-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Good first half for both France and USA West including a swish by France from 3/4 court to end the first period. USA West up 53-50.

My unofficial stats had Gary Bell at 5 point on 2-2 shooting, 1-1 from 3, with 2 turnovers and couple assists. Very impressive looking stroke, plays under control, and would have had more assists if his team mates had not missed bunnies. Defensively Gary did well considering the match-up with his smaller, quicker man(Adjagba Ulysse, 6-0 163). France was constantly running Ulysse off screen and Gary was having to fight through them.

Johnny Bryant for US is a very large player(6-10, 245), but a black hole as far as the ball is concerned and hurt the team. Jabari Brown looks like he can do it all, and Brandon Ashley is smooth. USA appears to have the better players and athletes but plays 1 on 5 for the most part. Gary was one of the few US players looking to create looks for his team. France plays much more organized team offense and defence. Fabian for France was impressive as well.

Of course this all comes through Gonzaga rose colored glasses :)

BobZag
08-06-2010, 04:46 PM
Did anybody make two consecutive free-throws?

LMUZAG
08-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Did anybody make two consecutive free-throws?

If they did it was while I wasn't looking.

BobZag
08-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Don't be surprised if one of those French bigs is a Zag in 2011. Just sayin'.

ZagNative
08-06-2010, 05:08 PM
Great report, LMUZag! Much appreciated.

ZagNative
08-06-2010, 06:38 PM
Live Chat on Oreon Live (http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/boysbasketball/) - Canada - USA East in progress

After a block by Anthony Bennett, Kyle Wiltjer continues to be the most steady scorer on the floor and hits a lay up inside after a good seal off. Canada up 73-60.

LMUZAG
08-06-2010, 06:53 PM
Great report, LMUZag! Much appreciated.

It was a tough job but someone had to go watch basketball :)

Gary did not have much of a chance in the second half. USA was up by double digits in the third quarter, but then France got hot behind the arc. After that it was Jabari Brown and Nic Johnson each trying to win the game on their own and their shots were not falling. If Gary was frustrated he did not show it, but he never saw the ball again after he brought it up and passed. USA West 108 France 112.

Bob, I hope it is Fabian you are referring to. He looked smooth. His frame, height, and length remind a great deal of Austin Daye. Didn't have his stroke, but had some nice blocks. If it someone else, there were some other good bigs as well.

ZagNative
08-06-2010, 06:54 PM
Wow! Looks like a heck of a game! [Latest to earliest, in descending order:
Dorian Finney-Smith stripped on the way up out of bounds to USA-East...Nigel Williams-Goss misses runner at buzzer. Overtime!

Gbinjie fouled out replaced by Tyrone Johnson, who strips Kyle Wiltjer on D forcing a turnover. USA-East ball 23 seconds to go, game still tied at 78.

Huge block by James McAdoo on Khem Birch. McAdoo corrals the rebound USA-East ball.....Michael Gbinjie drives but Kevin Pangos steps in and draws the foul. Canada ball tied at 78, 46 seconds to play.

Guest: Who's on the floor for both teams down the stretch? USA-East: Williams-Goss, Cooney, McAdoo, Gbinjie and Finney-Smith. Canada: Bennett, Wiltjer, Birch, Pangos and Webster-Chan.

Canada turnover gives the ball back to USA-East. McAdoo gets the entry pass from Nigel Williams-Goss and draws a foul.

James McAdoo misses an 18 footer, but Micheal Gbinjie gets the board, puts it back in and draws a foul. Gbinjie misses the free throw that would have tied it. Canada still leads 78-77 with 2:05 to play.

Michael Gbinjie hits a jumper, but Kyle Wiltjer fights for a rebound and gets the bucket to push the lead back to three.

Sim Bhullar with a tip in the push the lead back to 7. James McAdoo scores on back to back possesions to draw USA within three at 76-73 with 3:13 to play.

ZagNative
08-06-2010, 07:05 PM
Double wow, Double OT!:
Trevor Cooney misses a deep three from well behind the arc, ball goes out of bounds as time expires. Double overtime.

Andrew Wiggins can't handle the pass and the ball goes out of bounds off his leg thanks in large part to pressure defense by Tyrone Johnson. USA-East ball with 18.9 seconds left in overtime game still tied at 92. Timeout USA-East.

Junior Lomomba drives on Tyrone Johnson and scores, Canada by two...Johnson drives on Lomomba on the other end and draws a foul. Johnson makes both. Game tied with 32.4 seconds to go. Canada ball.

ZagNative
08-06-2010, 07:21 PM
Wiltjer and Pangos win!

Final score Canada 105, USA-East 100.

USA-East steals the ball on the in-bounds pass, but Khem Birch throws down a game sealing block and Canada holds on to win in two overtimes 105-100.

Pangos makes the both, Canada by five. Tyrone Johnson draws a foul on the other end and misses them both but corrals his own rebound and scores.

Correction...Canada ball out of bounds leads to a fast break dunk by Andrew Wiggins. Khem Birch comes up with a huge block on the other end and USA-East is forced to foul. Kevin Pangos on the line with 14.2 seconds to play.

thespywhozaggedme
08-06-2010, 07:23 PM
From one of the bloggers:

Guest: Birch had a BIG game !!- He had 25 points and 19 boards and a few blocks. He was a monster....and he didn't start.

23dpg
08-06-2010, 07:25 PM
I'm pretty sure had Kyle had 30+ points and 10+ boards.

23dpg
08-06-2010, 07:27 PM
Guest: Gonzaga fan here. How has Pangos looked so far? I know our coaching staff is quite interested in him

.- Solid distributor, not aggressive looking for his own shot, but has scored both inside and outside. Mark Few seems to get better athletes than Pangos.

sanders
Yeah, monster games for Birch and Wiltjer. Bennet too.

thespywhozaggedme
Man, I would some how love for us to land the Canadian Triple K; Kevin, Kyle and Khem.

ZagNative
08-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Joel Francisco Twitter (http://twitter.com/JoelFranESPN/statuses/20521247688):

Team Canada and USA East headed to 2nd overtime. McAdoo is struggling from field, but playing assertive. Wiltjer...best player in game.

23 minutes ago via web

JoelFranESPN
Joel Francisco

Previous tweet before that ...
Team Canada taking it to USA East 73-65..5:41 to go. Wiltjer, Birch, and true point guard Kevin Pangos...the difference.

about 1 hour ago via web

JoelFranESPN
Joel Francisco
Should be a good story up on ESPN tomorrow.

Canada will play at 8:00 pm tomorrow. Bracket is here (http://www.nikeglobalchallenge.com/ngc_stat.htm). Nice not to have to convert time zones for a change!

Go Canada!

ZagNative
08-06-2010, 07:55 PM
Box Score here. (http://www.nikeglobalchallenge.com/ngc10_teams/scores/game03.pdf) Good grief!

31 points, 18 rebounds for Kyle!

And an outstanding performance by Pangos, with 15 pts and 9 assists!

Canada outrebounds USA East 82-66.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2010-08-06CanadaUSAEast.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2010-08-06USAEast.jpg

thespywhozaggedme
08-06-2010, 08:23 PM
Box Score here. (http://www.nikeglobalchallenge.com/ngc10_teams/scores/game03.pdf) Good grief!

31 points, 18 rebounds for Kyle!

And an outstanding performance by Pangos, with 15 pts and 9 assists!

Canada outrebounds USA East 82-66.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2010-08-06CanadaUSAEast.jpg

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2010-08-06USAEast.jpg

Look at Khem, 25 and 20 and 6 blocks! These young Canadians are so good it's ridiculous.

ZagNative
08-06-2010, 08:46 PM
Box Score for Gary Bell's game is here (http://www.nikeglobalchallenge.com/ngc10_teams/scores/game02.pdf).

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2010-08-06USWestvFrance.jpg

wazmix
08-06-2010, 10:30 PM
If I can make it (after golfing), I'll try to take some pics on Saturday night.

CDC84
08-07-2010, 08:43 AM
ESPN writeup for yesterday's games:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5444890

Rivals writeup:

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1110494

BobZag
08-07-2010, 08:55 AM
Man, I would some how love for us to land the Canadian Triple K; Kevin, Kyle and Khem.

Amen to that.

More articles:

http://www.beyondthebeat.net/20100807489/2010-articles/august/global-warming-shooters-frozen-out-in-third-game-of-ngc.html

http://edgytim.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1110494

BobZag
08-07-2010, 09:30 AM
Bob, I hope it is Fabian you are referring to. He looked smooth. His frame, height, and length remind a great deal of Austin Daye. Didn't have his stroke, but had some nice blocks. If it someone else, there were some other good bigs as well.

I hope so, too. He was a teen heart throb in his younger days as well. Very versatile.

BobZag
08-07-2010, 09:44 AM
Guest: Gonzaga fan here. How has Pangos looked so far? I know our coaching staff is quite interested in him

.- Solid distributor, not aggressive looking for his own shot, but has scored both inside and outside. Mark Few seems to get better athletes than Pangos.

Pangos is in the mold of Dickau, Raivio, Ridnour... Not a great athlete, but very savvy and highly skilled. You could toss in Stockton, Nash, too. Pangos would complete a wonderful guard trio with Dranginis and Bell, Jr. for GU. But no, he's not that athletic, that's true. Just a real nice basketball player. GU has fallen victim to the athletic thing before; one instance was being in awe with PMAC's athleticism and backing off the basketball player Derrick Low. That was a mistake. And decades ago, Fitz didn't want Stockton, he wanted some super athletic kid first, but settled for Stockton when the "athlete" didn't come.

ZagNative
08-07-2010, 10:51 AM
So Canada plays USA South today at 8:00 PM. Link to Roster for USA South (http://www.nikeglobalchallenge.com/ngc10_teams/usa_south.htm).

Name Pos Ht Wt Class
Shannon Scott G 6'2'' 175 2011
Dai-Jon Parker G 6'3'' 180 2011
Dezmine Wells W 6'5'' 217 2011
Kentavious Caldwell W 6'6'' 185 2011
Adonis Thomas W 6'6'' 210 2011
P.J. Hairston W 6'6'' 227 2011
Perry Ellis F 6'8'' 212 2012
Zach Price C 6'11'' 233 2011

Nolan Shulman (http://twitter.com/nolanshulman) twitters about the Canada matchups:
Team Canada faces USA South today as it looks to go 2-0.... Some great matchups in store. about 2 hours ago via web

In the paint.... Zach Price and Perry Ellis will square off vs. Khem Birch and Kyle Wiltjer ..... about 2 hours ago via web

Kyle's great perimeter game should stretch the defense to create opportunities for Pangos to penetrate about 2 hours ago via web

Khem had 6 blocks yesterday and should continue to protect the rim and clean the glass in this matchup. about 2 hours ago via web

Shannon Scott and Dai-Jon Parker put great pressure on the basketball so Kevin Pangos will have to take good care of the rock about 2 hours ago via web

PJ Hairston may be built like a linebacker, but he can really shoot it from deep. He's a bit streaky, but a guy you don't want to leave about 2 hours ago via web

Him vs. Negus Webster Chan is a battle I'd love to take in. Negus is a tough cover due to his length, versatility, and fluid movement. about 2 hours ago via web

Dez Wells is physical and plays extremely hard. Whoever he's matched up against will have to match his energy. about 2 hours ago via web

Bennett took 21 shots in 28 mins. Only made 6. Anthony struggles with shot selection at times but will need to be more efficient vs. South about 2 hours ago via web

WeSayZed
08-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Let’s hope that Pangos and Wiltjer put a buzz in Birch’s ear about Gonzaga. Ideally he could catch a ride with the Pangos family and check out Gonzaga along with Kevin. Birch is going to have lots of options, but it’s always nice to go to a place where you’re going to know some people, and as a foreigner it’s nice to go to a place where a number of your countrymen have gone before and been treated well and had success. Also, I don’t know anything about Birch’s family background but he’s from Montreal and he’s attending Notre Dame Prep, so there’s a pretty good chance that he's Catholic. Here’s a recent article from the Montreal Gazette on him.
http://www.montrealgazette.com/sports/Trading+pigskin+glory/3244499/story.html

This is waaaaay off topic, but the demographics for the community he grew up in may be interesting to some, i.e. 50% French speaking and 60% Catholic. (Quebec as a whole is 85% Catholic, but that’s a bit misleading because there has been a big backlash against the Catholic Church over the last half century or so as part of the Quiet Revolution (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiet_Revolution).)
http://www12.statcan.ca/english/profil01/CP01/Details/Page.cfm?Lang=E&Geo1=CSD&Code1=2466130&Geo2=PR&Code2=24&Data=Count&SearchText=pierrefonds&SearchType=Begins&SearchPR=01&B1=Population&Custom
(As a footnote, Pierrefonds was an independent community until 2001 when it was absorbed by the City of Montreal, so the 2001 numbers above are the last for it as a separate community.)

webspinnre
08-07-2010, 01:33 PM
What I love about the ESPN and Rivals articles is that they both very clearly mention Gonzaga with regards to Pangos.

BRAY88
08-07-2010, 02:34 PM

If thats the case then andrew wiggins should not be a part of team canada as well. Ro Russell has been stubborn in the past as far as not letting his grassroots players play for Canada Basketball, etc..but this case is weird, kabongo and thomas are awesome players and if Russell for some reason is holding them back thats a shame, no wonder basketball in canada is not growing properly if people like russell have their own agendas and will not work with other organizations like Canada Basketball, Nike Global Challenge, etc..

Idahomie
08-07-2010, 04:23 PM
What do you think the chances are that as Wiltjer and Pangos are playing together right now on team Canada, they are talking about the possibility of playing together at Gonzaga? Do you think that increases our chances of landing them both since they are getting to play together and get to know each other? Does anybody know if they have had any previous exposure to each other, or is this their first real encounter playing alongside one another? Man, that would be so ridiculous Dranginis, GBJ, Pangos and Wiltjer. I know it's gonna be hard, but I'm optimistic. I've got a good feeling about it. Quick everyone jump on the optimism train!!! Woo wooo

MDABE80
08-07-2010, 05:47 PM
Welcome Idahomie...good first post. We'd like it. I'd guess they must be talking about it. We are too!!

ZagNative
08-07-2010, 05:47 PM
USA West defeats All-Asia, 104-91. Weirdly, Gary Bell drew a technical for unsportsmanlike conduct. Wonder what that was about...

Box Score (http://www.nikeglobalchallenge.com/ngc10_teams/scores/game06.pdf)

Looks like Gary's shot wasn't falling.

In another vein, there's a photo album up on the Oregon Live site (http://photos.oregonlive.com/1604/gallery/nike_global_challenge/index.html) with some terrific shots of Kyle, including this one with a great shot of Khem Birch's fab arms.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2011%20Recruits/Wiltjer/2010-08-07KyleWiltjerandKhemBirchNGC-1.jpg

CDC84
08-07-2010, 06:24 PM
Good to see that despite his shot being off, GBJ had 4 steals and 4 assists.

thespywhozaggedme
08-07-2010, 07:23 PM
Anyone know how Canada did tonight? Couldn't find a recap or boxscore. Thanks

ZagNative
08-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Game in progress, near end of first quarter. Live chat here. (http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/boysbasketball/)
USA-South forces a shot clock violation, but come up empty on their end.
Dai-Jon Parker gets fouled by Kevin Pangos on a drive to the hoop and goes to the line for two. Makes one of two and USA-South leads by 12.

Sim Bhullar gets a dunk as time expires in the quarter. After one, USA-South 32, Canda 21.

Box Score will be available by clicking the correct link on the brackets page here (http://www.nikeglobalchallenge.com/ngc_stat.htm) after the game. No live stats, so far as I Know.

thespywhozaggedme
08-07-2010, 07:50 PM
As usual, you come through. You da woman! ;)

Game in progress, near end of first quarter. Live chat here. (http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/boysbasketball/)

Box Score will be available by clicking the correct link on the brackets page here (http://www.nikeglobalchallenge.com/ngc_stat.htm) after the game. No live stats, so far as I Know.

ZagNative
08-07-2010, 07:52 PM
Thanks, spy.

At the half:
Khem Birch scores inside as time expires and USA-South heads into the locker room leading Canada 65-47.

PJ Hairston hits a three from five feet beyond the arc. Forget Nick Johnson, Hairston wants to be the star of the day.

Kentavious Caldwell hits a deep three after a Kevin Pangos lay up. Canada just can't cut into this lead.

Khem Birch, doing what he does, gets another two on a rebound put back.Come on, Canada. Get it together and come out for the second half fighting!

ZagNative
08-07-2010, 08:01 PM
That Oregon Live page also includes video highlights (http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-1943580936735652001/video-top-plays-and-dunks-from-the-nike-global-challenge/)from the first day, with some nice highlights of Team Canada.

ZagNative
08-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Ain't getting better in time:
Kevin Pangos hits a three from the corner off an in bounds pass from Wiltjer.

Anthony Bennett gets another powerful dunk....Kentavious Caldwell scores quickly the other way.

Kyle Wiltjer hits a three from the corner....Bennett gets a dunk in transition. Canada making a late run but still down 19 with two minutes to go.
Anthony Bennett dunks in a missed three by Kyle Wiltjer. USA-South 108, Canada 84 with less than three to play.

Hairston scores again. This time, amazingly, inside the arc....Anthony Bennett answers on the other end. Bennett has been Canada's second best player behind Birch. Rough day for Wiltjer.

thespywhozaggedme
08-07-2010, 08:44 PM
USA South wins by 14, 113-99

ZagNative
08-07-2010, 09:06 PM
More notes from the live blog:

So check back tomorrow for highlights from the first two days, more live blogging and live streaming coverage of tomorrow's games. Live stream starts for the 6pm game and 8pm Championship. Live blogging starts at 2pm.
We'll be back tomorrow live blogging the first two games. For the third place game (France-Canada) and the Championship game (USA-South vs USA-Midwest) we'll be providing LIVE VIDEO coverage.

Final stats: For Canada, Khem Birch 23pts (10-12), 11rebs (7 off), 3 blks, 2 stls Anthony Bennet 23pts, 9 rebs, Kyle Wiltjer 15 pts (6-19), 8rebs. For USA-South, Adonis Thomas 31pts, 10 rebs PJ Hairston 27pts (7-12 from 3) Kentavious Caldwell 23pts, 11 rebs, 5 ast.

ZagNative
08-07-2010, 09:43 PM
Box Score for Canada-USA South (http://www.nikeglobalchallenge.com/ngc10_teams/scores/game08.pdf)

Canada-France Game, for third place, will be at 6:00 pm tomorrow and will be live vedeo-cast on Oregon Live.

thespywhozaggedme
08-07-2010, 09:58 PM
Box Score for Canada-USA South (http://www.nikeglobalchallenge.com/ngc10_teams/scores/game08.pdf)

Canada-France Game, for third place, will be at 6:00 pm tomorrow and will be live vedeo-cast on Oregon Live.

Cool, thanks

wazmix
08-07-2010, 11:45 PM
(More pics to come, but I'm pressed for time this weekend.)

Canada didn't have a great game, but Pangos did a nice job of running the show. Penetrates and dishes, but doesn't have the size to finish, most of the time.
(Later in the game, he tried a tough pass to the left, and the coach said "Kevin, look to the other side, for the easier pass".)

Here he is, after a slash to the hoop, in the first half.

http://i33.tinypic.com/2ij6qv5.jpg

wazmix
08-07-2010, 11:58 PM
Along with his teammates, Wiltjer was quiet in the first half, as USA-South built a big lead.
In the second half, as the game was out of hand, Wiltjer started to do a LOT of everything. Some of his passes were very impressive and heady. Dirk N. has NEVER made passes like that !!!!

Here's Wiltjer in the first half, with an easy tip-in.

http://i37.tinypic.com/zvzdaa.jpg

ZagNative
08-08-2010, 06:24 AM
Those are dandies, Wazmix! Your photographs are always just marvelous! Thank you! And thanks for your in-person observations too.

When you get a minute, could you tell me what kind of camera you used to take those pics?

wazmix
08-08-2010, 07:17 AM
These are from a NikonD90.......that is MAXXED OUT......(and I still have to fix everything. What you see are extremely edited and cropped.)
It's all about the lens, and I don't really want to spend $2000 for a "hobby." (I'll stand on the streetcorner with a sign......"Not hungry, not homeless. I just want a f2.8 18-300mm lens.")

Here's a shot of Pangos bringing the ball upcourt.....with a picture of some other guys in the background. (I think I've heard of them.)

http://i35.tinypic.com/2ylkcjr.jpg

BobZag
08-08-2010, 09:10 AM
wazmix, you're faking me out. Are Deron and Brandon actually on the wall or is that some of your photoshop handy work? :o

It'd be a dream to have the "killer K's" in KyleW, KhemB, KevinP, KyleD and, hell, throw in KeeganH for good measure.

ZagNative
08-08-2010, 09:19 AM
wazmix, you're faking me out. Are Deron and Brandon actually on the wall or is that some of your photoshop handy work? :o

It'd be a dream to have the "killer K's" in KyleW, KhemB, KevinP, KyleD and, hell, throw in KeeganH for good measure.OregonLve had this great photo of Kyle posted, against that backdrop. I thought the same thing - photoshop. Must have been taken at a Team Canada practice, since Kyle's not wearing his number.

I loved the pic.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2011%20Recruits/Wiltjer/2010-08-06KyleWiltjerNGCgreatwingspan-1.jpg

MDABE80
08-08-2010, 11:44 AM
There is a clip from ZN that's on OregonLive. Everyone should take some time and see it. USA guard is catwuick and obviously a killer ballhandler. Watch Kevin guard him during the crossover.

He's such a sound player. He's a Stocks type player. So grounded and so fundamental it's just scary. No doubt he's a throwback player. I don't care if his vertical is only 18 inches ( I dunno what it is), he functions like I'd like to see our PGs work. Don't need flash...we need form and good function. Kevin is just that. He's my guy....and a shout out to him...DON"T you break my heart!!! Get down here...!

ZagNative
08-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Here's that OregonLive video link (http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-1943580936735652001/video-top-plays-and-dunks-from-the-nike-global-challenge/).

BobZag
08-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Matador defense in these games.

129-123, East beats West.

Sheesh.

LMUZAG
08-08-2010, 04:46 PM
unofficially, going 5 - 10 from 3.

ZagNative
08-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Live video on now. Link here (http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nike-global-challenge#utm_campaigne=synclickback&source=http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/news/article/-9016464247269609315/live-video-from-the-2010-nike-global-challenge/&medium=1166085).

Live chat here (http://highschoolsports.oregonlive.com/boysbasketball/).

thespywhozaggedme
08-08-2010, 05:20 PM
This game is unwatchable, it's literally buffering every 3 seconds.

ZagNative
08-08-2010, 05:29 PM
This game is unwatchable, it's literally buffering every 3 seconds.I think I remember you having the same problem last year. It's amazingly good on my cable connection. Must be losing steam traveling all the way across the country.

Halftime stats: For Canada, Khem Birch 11pts, 4blks Kyle Wiltjer 11pts 4rebs. For France, Benjamin John 7pts Malela Mutuale 7pts, Abdoulaye Loum 7pts.

38-31 Canada at the half

France roster numbers:

07 Howard, William
09 Prenom, Ferdinand
13 Gavrilovic
05 Adjagba, Ulysse
11 John, Benjamin
04 Loum, Abdoulaye
06 Mutuale, Malela
08 Bourdillon, Frederic
10 Wachowiak, Nicolas
12 Paschal, Fabien

OZZY
08-08-2010, 06:17 PM
Canada up by just four with about 8 to go. Pangos must have a double double by now.

France are nailing threes.

OZZY
08-08-2010, 06:20 PM
Pangos hits two back to back 3s of his own. He is very calm under pressure.

OZZY
08-08-2010, 06:28 PM
Pangos with two more threes, it will be interesting to see what the recruiting sites will make of his performance this weekend. He is as published. I hope that isn't too much hype for some board readers!

WeSayZed
08-08-2010, 06:34 PM
Guest: Woah Pangos sounds clutch!- Looks even more clutch.
I hope our American friends can excuse our enthusiasm. :) As soon as he commits we can all be enthusiastic together. :D

OZZY
08-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Pangos scored at least 18 points in the last quarter alone!

thespywhozaggedme
08-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Anybody got a box score? Thanks

WeSayZed
08-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Birch has said that he wants to play two years of college basketball and then go pro. I wonder if Gonzaga would go for that? It would be nice to see K3 reunited at Gonzaga. :cool:

ZagNative
08-08-2010, 06:41 PM
Anybody got a box score? ThanksUsually takes a few minutes for them to post it. In the meantime,
Final Score Canada 85, France 75.
And that will do it, France doesn't even attempt a final shot. Canada beats France 85-72 to claim third place.
Pangos hits both. William Howard misses a three for France. Pangos fouled again and hits two more.

Stats will be found here, clicking on the link for the third-place game (http://www.nikeglobalchallenge.com/ngc_stat.htm), once they're posted.

maynard g krebs
08-08-2010, 06:43 PM
Pangos with two more threes, it will be interesting to see what the recruiting sites will make of his performance this weekend. He is as published. I hope that isn't too much hype for some board readers!

I saw all but the first couple minutes and agree completely. Maybe lacks the elite quickness to be a Nash or Stockton, but he'll be as good as Dickau or Ridnour were in college, without a doubt.

There's a really rare chemistry btw. him and Wiltjer. They're uncanny about finding each other, and reading what the other is going to do. Both would benefit from playing with the other in college, Wiltjer especially as he'll be on the receiving end more often than not. Getting Pangos could have a pos. effect on getting Wiltjer from what tonite's game looked like.

WeSayZed
08-08-2010, 06:46 PM
Final stats: For Canada, Kevin Pangos 20pts, 4rebs, 10ast Kevin Wiltjer 20pts 7rebs, Khem Birch 20pts 8rebs, 6blks. For France, Benjamin John 18pts, William Howard 12 pts, Abdoulaye Loum 5pts, 11rebs
Wiggins was playing and scoring a lot too. Pretty impressive considering he's just 15.

ZagNative
08-08-2010, 06:50 PM
I saw all but the first couple minutes and agree completely. Maybe lacks the elite quickness to be a Nash or Stockton, but he'll be as good as Dickau or Ridnour were in college, without a doubt.
I swear: Pangos needs to get rid of those long pants. They make him look like a very slow dwarf, with about three inches between the bottom of his shorts and the top of his sox.

OZZY
08-08-2010, 06:53 PM

There's a really rare chemistry btw. him and Wiltjer. They're uncanny about finding each other, and reading what the other is going to do. Both would benefit from playing with the other in college, Wiltjer especially as he'll be on the receiving end more often than not. Getting Pangos could have a pos. effect on getting Wiltjer from what tonite's game looked like.

What is the only school that has shown serious interest in both players from the very beginning? GU of course.

Kyle has mentioned that he wants to play with a good pg. He just did for the last three games. Now if we could just entice Khem (2012) to look a bit further west than the Big East............................

WeSayZed
08-08-2010, 06:58 PM
What is the only school that has shown serious interest in both players from the very beginning? GU of course.

Kyle has mentioned that he wants to play with a good pg. He just did for the last three games. Now if we could just entice Khem (2012) to look a bit further west than the Big East............................

The dominoes are lining up, and Pangos is coming to town this week, iirc.

ZagNative
08-08-2010, 07:31 PM
Stats for Gary Bell's USA West team here v. USA East (http://www.nikeglobalchallenge.com/ngc10_teams/scores/game10.pdf).

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2010-08-08GaryBellStats.jpg

Austin Kuemper had a nice game, too, running up 14 points and six rebounds in just 13 minutes.

maynard g krebs
08-08-2010, 07:42 PM
I swear: Pangos needs to get rid of those long pants. They make him look like a very slow dwarf, with about three inches between the bottom of his shorts and the top of his sox.

He's certainly got adequate quickness to be a great D1 player. Anticipation/instincts make up for lack of outright speed. I thought he did a nice job of staying in front of his man defensively.

ZagNative
08-08-2010, 07:48 PM
Kevin Pangos named MVP of this game. (See bottom of box score below)

Box Score Canada-France game for Third Place here (http://www.nikeglobalchallenge.com/ngc10_teams/scores/game11.pdf).

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Screenprints/2010-08-08Canada-FranceStats.jpg

Congrats to Kevin!

wazmix
08-08-2010, 08:56 PM
Set of photos from Saturday.....Some I have already posted. Some are from the USA (Midwest)/France game.

Link to Flickr Set (12 Photos) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/99165221@N00/sets/72157624680114980/)

(Here's a good Birch dunk from the set...........)

http://i33.tinypic.com/snpdsm.jpg

OZZY
08-08-2010, 11:46 PM
Thanks for the photos wazmix, I especially like the Pangos backdrop shot.

wazmix
08-09-2010, 05:58 AM
Thanks for the compliments. Glad to contribute.

Here's a wider crop of the Pangos pic, with Birch in the foreground.

(The huge Williams/Roy picture hangs behind the hoop. The opposite basket had Kevin Durant and Paul Pierce.)

http://i36.tinypic.com/2ltm16f.jpg

ZagNative
08-09-2010, 07:42 AM
Thanks again, Wazmix. Always look forward to your outstanding photos!

From Rivals (http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1111100) (subscription), these tournament wrap up tidbits:

This and that from Day 3
Canada point guard Kevin Pangos warmed up for his upcoming recruiting trip to Gonzaga by raining a fiery barrage of 3-pointers down on France to break open a tight game and help earn Canada third-place honors. Pangos notched 20 points (shooting a blistering 4-for-5 from beyond the arc) and divvied up 10 assists, finishing his tournament run as the overall assist leader with 25.
Honors and awards for the tourney

USA All-Tournament Team

MVP: P.J. Hairston (USA South); Others: James McAdoo (USA East), Bradley Beal (USA Midwest), Adonis Thomas (USA South), Nick Johnson (USA West) of Henderson (Nev.) Findlay Prep.

International All-Tournament Team

MVP: Khem Birch (Canada); Others: Bobby Parks Jr. (All-Asia), Benjamin John (France), Kyle Wiltjer (Canada), Lucas Riva Nogueira (Brazil), William Howard (France). So, Kevin may be sighted around campus today? Beautiful day for a visit to the 509!

LynetteG
08-09-2010, 08:12 AM
Birch has said that he wants to play two years of college basketball and then go pro. I wonder if Gonzaga would go for that? It would be nice to see K3 reunited at Gonzaga. :cool:

See Elias Harris (likely)

nonzagzag
08-09-2010, 08:55 AM
Joel Francisco's wrap up:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5448853

also a couple of his tweets re: GBJ

"Nick Faust and Gary Bell Jr. played very well for their respective teams. Faust showed multi-skilled game."
about 16 hours ago via web

"West up 1 with 7 25 to go. Nick Faust dropping some dimes and draining 3s. Gary Bell Jr. having his best outing thus far."
about 17 hours ago via web

cggonzaga
08-09-2010, 08:57 AM
ESPN also named Birch as MVP and Kyle on the International first team.

Team Canada had quite the 1-2 punch in Wiltjer and Birch. Wiltjer's game resembles that of a savvy NBA veteran, while Birch is the most explosive prospect in the Class of 2012.

BobZag
08-09-2010, 09:16 AM

No no no nooooo. Keep those long shorts. Dupe opposing teams into thinking you're a very slow dwarf. Keep the opposing crowds riding you due to your pants. It's called motivation. :)

ZagNative
08-09-2010, 09:45 AM
No no no nooooo. Keep those long shorts. Dupe opposing teams into thinking you're a very slow dwarf. Keep the opposing crowds riding you due to your pants. It's called motivation. :)
Yup, I can hear the opposing crowd's chant now. Instead of rapping, "Bring 'Em Out, Bring 'Em Out!" they'll be chanting, "Pull 'Em Up! Pull 'Em Up!"

BobZag
08-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Yup, I can hear the opposing crowd's chant now. Instead of rapping, "Bring 'Em Out, Bring 'Em Out!" they'll be chanting, "Pull 'Em Up! Pull 'Em Up!"

Yes, right before KP goes off for 20 and dishes 10 dimes, you betcha. ;)