• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cggonzaga
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

Francisco mentions all kinds of Zagcruits

It has been well documented that the West Coast's 2011 class is void of bigs; however, it is clear the strength of the class is on the perimeter. There are five elite level prospects -- Jabari Brown (Oakland, Calif./Oakland), Nick Johnson (Gilbert, Ariz./Findlay Prep), Norman Powell (San Diego/Abraham Lincoln), Josiah Turner (Sacramento, Calif./Sacramento) and Jahii Carson (Phoenix/Mesa) -- and a bevy of others that will play at the high-major level -- Tony Wroten Jr. (Renton, Wash./Garfield), Gary Bell Jr. (Kent, Wash./Kentridge), Michael Caffey (Corona, Calif./Centennial) and Hikeem Stewart (Seattle/Rainier Beach).

The class has athletes in Powell, Stewart and Johnson; shooters in Brown and Bell Jr.; and playmakers in Turner, Wroten, Carson and Caffey. On top of that, not only is it strong at the top, there is a second tier that has been heavily recruited -- Jordan Daniels (Etiwanda, Calif./Etiwanda), Spencer Dinwiddie (Woodland Hills, Calif./William Howard Taft), Kiwi Gardner (Manteca, Calif./Manteca) and Cezar Guerrero (Bellflower, Calif./St. John Bosco).

Three take it to the next level

Every year during the Las Vegas AAU circuit, there are always a few players that take their game to another level. 6-8 C Erik Copes (Philadelphia/Imhotep Charter), 6-7 SF Antwan Space (DeSoto, Texas/DeSoto) and 6-5 PG Kyle Dranginis (Nampa, Idaho/Skyview) took advantage of their opportunities.

Copes, who is committed to George Washington, is a relentless competitor who rebounds in traffic and block shots at a high rate. Due to his play and effort, he should be a member of the ESPNU Top 100 by the time the new rankings come out. Space is a hybrid 3-man who can score inside and out, including a smooth 3-point shot. Dranginis may be the best kept secret out West. The rangy combo-guard doesn't have great quickness, but he has tremendous savvy as well as a feathery touch out to 23 feet.
    Haven't heard much on Powell lately but I'd love to see him in a Zag uniform. Gotta like the mentions about Space and Dranginis. BZ, do you think maybe Hicks missed something on Guerrero?
  • BobZag
    Dark Lord of the Zag
    • Jan 2007

I don't think we'll be seeing any new guards other than Kevin Pangos, to be honest. The staff has bigs on the brain now. Even 2011 Juco bigs are starting to pop up on the Zag radar, ie, 6'7" PF Carlos Emery from Howard College but originally from the same area as Sam Dower in Minnesota. I'd prefer Space, but sometimes Plan Bs are just as good.

Imagine the hype and ink Dranginis would have received if he played for FOH or the like? 23 feet out? Try 30'. No kidding.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• MDABE80
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

If we keep our kids in the fold till November, I'll be grateful BZ. Bell, Dranginis are amazing enough but add in Pangos and we're at a very high level not seen since Dan and Blake laced em up simultaneously. As a trio...I don't remember this much talent in a decade or more.

I'm guessing Donny will find some fine bigs to get us through the next two years. Having Manny on the wing for the next 3 years won't hurt. It's those bigs...and I have every confidence Donny will find some fine ones. I hear he already has.....at least one.

Comment

• hooter73
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
        Imagine the hype and ink Dranginis would have received if he played for FOH or the like? 23 feet out? Try 30'. No kidding.
        I'll admit I have a guilty pleasure of watching someone shoot a (seemingly) effortless WAY outside shot and just absolutely draining it during a game.

Comment

• Kiddwell
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
          I'm guessing Donny will find some fine bigs to get us through the next two years. Having Manny on the wing for the next 3 years won't hurt. It's those bigs...and I have every confidence Donny will find some fine ones. I hear he already has.....at least one.
          Oh, Abe! Not nice! (On the other hand, a positive tease is better than a negative one.)

:]
          Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• Robzagnut
            Zag for Life
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
            I'll admit I have a guilty pleasure of watching someone shoot a (seemingly) effortless WAY outside shot and just absolutely draining it during a game.
            I agree.

The problem has been that when a GU player shoots a three I haven't 'expected' it to go in since Raivio and Morrison were playing. We have been spoiled over the years with great outside shooters and it's been disheartening to see that the teams from the last few years haven't had a guy who can just throw up a barrage of threes and most of them go in. The last guy was Gray against Davidson, but he hasn't been the same since.

Comment

• hooter73
              Zag for Life
              • Jun 2008

Unfortunately i think you are right on. I think at first we thought Bol would have that but now my hopes are on Kyle and Keegan. If Gray got there again though that would be most excellent. Hey right now Sacre is 100% for threes. I bet Harris actually has a pretty decent percentage but again its not the same feel as Bankhead, Ravio or Morrison.

Originally posted by Robzagnut View Post
              I agree.

The problem has been that when a GU player shoots a three I haven't 'expected' it to go in since Raivio and Morrison were playing. We have been spoiled over the years with great outside shooters and it's been disheartening to see that the teams from the last few years haven't had a guy who can just throw up a barrage of threes and most of them go in. The last guy was Gray against Davidson, but he hasn't been the same since.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                Administrator
                • Apr 2009

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
                Unfortunately i think you are right on. I think at first we thought Bol would have that but now my hopes are on Kyle and Keegan. If Gray got there again though that would be most excellent. Hey right now Sacre is 100% for threes. I bet Harris actually has a pretty decent percentage but again its not the same feel as Bankhead, Ravio or Morrison.
                Or Rillie or Dickau or Stepp or Frahm...
                “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• kitzbuel
                  • Feb 2007

I agree.

I would not say our 3pt picture is as doom and gloom as folks nostalgically seem to think. Bol could definitely fill it up when he was committed, and having Manny out certainly hurt. But Harris and Gray definitely compare with Morrison and Raivio.

2005-2006
                  Adam Morrison 73-169 .432
                  Derek Raivio 56-158 .354

2009-2010
                  Elias Harris 23-51 .451
                  Steven Gray 51-155 .329

(Manny Arop 8-17 .471)

Harris and Gray still have another year to compete together yet, so those numbers can likely improve. Throw Manny and Keegan in there, who knows what could happen.
                  'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                  - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Robzagnut
                    Zag for Life
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                    I would not say our 3pt picture is as doom and gloom as folks nostalgically seem to think. Bol could definitely fill it up when he was committed, and having Manny out certainly hurt. But Harris and Gray definitely compare with Morrison and Raivio.
                    Stats aren't my point. Expectation is. When Morrison, Raivio, Stepp, Dickau, Bankhead, etc shot, I expected it to go in. When any of the current guys shoot the three I 'hope' it goes in.

Big difference.

I want to again experience that feeling of when a Santangelo, Dickau or Morrison buried that first three, that "uh oh, here we go..." and you KNEW they were going to pull up from anywhere and bury 2 or 3 more in quick succession.

There's not one guy on the current team that gives me that feeling. That feeling that tells the crowd and the other team, I'm hot from way out here and there's nothing you can do to stop me. They were good enough, cocky enough and just a pure pleasure to watch.
                    Last edited by Robzagnut; 07-30-2010, 10:19 AM.

Comment

• BobZag
                      Dark Lord of the Zag
                      • Jan 2007

This happens over time. A lot of youngsters who can really shoot it, but they haven't been around long enough to get that confidence yet. That feeling. Gray is the only exception because he's been up and down. But bottom line:

Zags finally have shooters again.

And more are on the way.
                      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• d2zag
                        Kennel Club Material
                        • Oct 2009

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                        And more are on the way.
                        ??
                        In Few We Trust.

Comment

• CDC84
                          Super Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

And it's a good thing that Gonzaga has shooters and will be getting more in the future like Gary Bell Jr. If GU lands Wiltjer, the 2011/12 GU team will have this frontcourt rotation:

Sacre - 7-0, senior
                          Olynyk - 6-11, junior
                          Dower - 6-9, redshirt soph (3 years in the system)
                          Wiltjer - 6-9, who cares what class he is

The Zags don't want to be seeing opponents pack the middle on this group. The way to prevent it is to have the perimeters draining threes.

Comment

• kitzbuel
                            • Feb 2007

Stats aren't my point. Expectation is. When Morrison, Raivio, Stepp, Dickau, Bankhead, etc shot, I expected it to go in. When any of the current guys shoot the three I 'hope' it goes in.

Big difference.

I want to again experience that feeling of when a Santangelo, Dickau or Morrison buried that first three, that "uh oh, here we go..." and you KNEW they were going to pull up from anywhere and bury 2 or 3 more in quick succession.

There's not one guy on the current team that gives me that feeling. That feeling that tells the crowd and the other team, I'm hot from way out here and there's nothing you can do to stop me. They were good enough, cocky enough and just a pure pleasure to watch.

I guess what I am saying is that in our minds Morrison, Raivio or Dickau never missed, always hit the big shots (ok, that was largely true for Morrison, but don't bank on having one of him all the time). These guys now hit the same percentages and hit big shots too (Harris at Illini), but they do not have the luxury of having time to erase their misses.

Five years from now we will probably be looking back at Harris, Gray, Arop and wishing we had their prowess.
                            'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                            - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Bogozags
                              Zag for Life
                              • Jan 2008

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                              I guess what I am saying is that in our minds Morrison, Raivio or Dickau never missed, always hit the big shots (ok, that was largely true for Morrison, but don't bank on having one of him all the time). These guys now hit the same percentages and hit big shots too (Harris at Illini), but they do not have the luxury of having time to erase their misses.

Five years from now we will probably be looking back at Harris, Gray, Arop and wishing we had their prowess.
                              Morrison was a scorer plain and simple. He didn't need anyone to get him open and he wanted the ball all the time and IMO he would have shot it 80% of the time if Coach Few said it was ok. He was just uncanny BUT don't put Raivio in the same category. His senior year, he had difficulty getting his shot because he was guarded very well and he was not as effective without Morrison. Dickau on the other hand was very smart and gifted but in a different way. It is hard to explain but he could create his shot but he had some much help he didn't have to shoot as much as Morrison.

I believe from what I've seen Bell will be similar to Dickau but most probably stronger and maybe quicker too. Dranginis will be a scorer and his "first" step will get better and then as his shots begin to fall, he will be deadly on the drive and pass. It will be nice to watch both of these young men mature.

Comment

Working...
                              X