PDA

View Full Version : Mark Few -- SI's Seth Davis interview

GoZags
07-27-2010, 02:55 PM
Mark was one of 11 coaches interviewed recently down in Vegas. While it's interesting to read the thoughts of our conference brethren on the struggles of Gonzaga -- it's also interesting to see the National perspective.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/seth_davis/07/27/vegas.coaches/index.html?eref=sihp

Mark Few, Gonzaga
It's a remarkable thing to say about a program in the West Coast Conference, but the Zags don't rebuild anymore, they just reload. Aside from Matt Bouldin, they will return every major contributor from last year's 27-7 team that reached the second round of the NCAA tournament, and they will boast arguably the strongest and deepest front line Few has had in his 13 years as head coach.
That frontcourt will again have an international flavor. Kelly Olynyk and Robert Sacre will both play for Canada this summer at the World Championships, and 6-8 sophomore Elias Harris will suit up for his native Germany. Few was concerned that playing in international competition might hinder his guys' physical development because they can't build up their bodies the way most college players do in the summertime, but there is an obvious upside to playing against older professionals in a high-pressure environment. Thanks largely to the bird dog work of his assistant Tommy Lloyd, Few has really thrived in recruiting international players and has every intention on continuing that practice.
"We're just trying to get the best players out there, whether they're from California and Oregon or Germany and France," he told me. "Plus the recruiting process is a lot simpler over there. Usually there's a player and his parents and that's it. It's not as convoluted as it is over here."
Few also has high hopes for 6-10 forward Sam Dower, a lefty from Minneapolis who redshirted last season. "He could have helped us last year, but it was just a numbers thing," Few said. Another newcomer and foreign player, 6-4 French native Marquise Carter, a junior college transfer, will be featured in the backcourt alongside 5-11 junior Demetri Goodson. And keep an eye out for redshirt freshman David Stockton -- yes, the son of that patron saint of Gonzaga basketball, John Stockton -- to further bolster the Bulldogs' perimeter. This team will need all hands on deck in the early going because Few has once again assembled a brutal nonconference schedule that includes Illinois, Xavier, Oklahoma State, Baylor, Wake Forest and a spot in the CBE Classic in Kansas City, where the field will also include Kansas State, Duke and Marquette.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/seth_davis/07/27/vegas.coaches/index.html?eref=sihp#ixzz0uvGzIlWw

former1dog
07-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Marquise Carter is a French native?

kitzbuel
07-27-2010, 03:26 PM
Another newcomer and foreign player, 6-4 French native Marquise Carter,

Holy Cow, we recruited another foreign player!? How did I miss that? Maybe Missouri is a foreign country afterall. That explains Woohoo's time issues.

sittingon50
07-27-2010, 03:43 PM
Don't believe that is correct.

Just A Zag
07-27-2010, 03:47 PM
and no mention of mr. gray. strange piece

jazzdelmar
07-27-2010, 06:20 PM
Strange indeed...few must a been distracted or Seth was chatting w others...still, how cd Davis file a story on gu w/o mention of Stephen. The Stockton ref was a throwaway a tad patronizing IMO...

dim4sum
07-27-2010, 07:43 PM
everyone in the lot you mentioned, with the possible exception of the designated scorer, Ammo, had a passion for boarding. I don't see that yet in this coming year's team, with the exception of Arop.

thespywhozaggedme
07-27-2010, 07:47 PM
Awful article, but it's kind of to be expected from the People Magazine of sports.

gamagin
07-27-2010, 08:12 PM
a thumbsucker.

CDC84
07-27-2010, 08:32 PM
In my view, the strongest frontcourt that Gonzaga has had under Few was Ronny Turiaf and JP Batista in 2004/05. To heck with the depth. I'd take those two and bunch of walk ons over any other frontline Few has had. That was a national championship level starting frontcourt. And I say that without even considering Ammo at small forward.

ZagNative
07-27-2010, 08:58 PM
When I saw the story, I said to myself, "There's so little of substance/interest here, I'm placing my bet right now: This story is good for at least 50 replies on guboards." And, doggone it, I'm doing my part to see that we spin this thing way out of proportion.

I think the thread desperately needs a pic ... of Mark Few with a very big fish ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Mark%20Few/2009-04-14MarkFewbigfish.jpg

kdaleb
07-27-2010, 09:22 PM
Holy Cow, we recruited another foreign player!? How did I miss that? Maybe Missouri is a foreign country afterall. That explains Woohoo's time issues.

According to the Three Rivers CC athletics (http://www.trcc.edu/athletics/basketballmen.php) page, Carter is from San Diego...

hooter73
07-27-2010, 10:44 PM
Leaving out Gray and not to mention the Stockton part; A nod to the name more than the player.

junker.

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-28-2010, 03:01 AM
When I saw the story, I said to myself, "There's so little of substance/interest here, I'm placing my bet right now: This story is good for at least 50 replies on guboards." And, doggone it, I'm doing my part to see that we spin this thing way out of proportion.

I think the thread desperately needs a pic ... of Mark Few with a very big fish ...

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Mark%20Few/2009-04-14MarkFewbigfish.jpg

That IS a big fish.

Now, if he could just reel in an even bigger fish, perhaps a 6'9" power forward from Portland, my smile would be as big as Coach Few's.

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-28-2010, 04:09 AM
In my view, the strongest frontcourt that Gonzaga has had under Few was Ronny Turiaf and JP Batista in 2004/05. To heck with the depth. I'd take those two and bunch of walk ons over any other frontline Few has had. That was a national championship level starting frontcourt. And I say that without even considering Ammo at small forward.

I'd love to watch a scrimmage between two teams featuring Harris/Sacre and Batista/Turiaf.

jazzdelmar
07-28-2010, 04:55 AM
I'd love to watch a scrimmage between two teams featuring Harris/Sacre and Batista/Turiaf.

ru kidding? not even close......list them 1 thru 4......turiaf is a solid nba pro and jp was the best post presence ever for zags.....

MickMick
07-28-2010, 05:19 AM

Exactly what I was thinking. Spot on.

gozagswoohoo
07-28-2010, 06:47 AM

I KNEW it wasn't just me!!

gozagswoohoo
07-28-2010, 06:47 AM

I will agree, this IS a big fish.

But the bigger question I have about the pic, is why the heck is Mark Few fishing with Leonardo DeCaprio?

jazzdelmar
07-28-2010, 07:03 AM

But the bigger question I have about the pic, is why the heck is Mark Few fishing with Leonardo DeCaprio?

and did scorsese direct the shot????? for sure, it will bomb at the b.o.

theman.themyth.thelegend
07-28-2010, 08:17 AM
That IS a big fish.

Now, if he could just reel in an even bigger fish, perhaps a 6'9" power forward from Portland, my smile would be as big as Coach Few's.

+1

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs062.ash2/36463_403205664526_571434526_4333948_859706_n.jpg

Wiltjer >>>> Salmon

Martin Centre Mad Man
07-28-2010, 09:37 AM
ru kidding? not even close......list them 1 thru 4......turiaf is a solid nba pro and jp was the best post presence ever for zags.....

I don't disagree with your assessment of JP and Ronny, but I don't think it would be that big of a mismatch in favor of the old guys, particularly if you are scrimmaging the 04/05 team against the 10/11 team. Remember that JP improved considerably between his junior year (04/05) and his senior year (05/06). He was a very good player as a junior, but did not really dominate until his senior year. I would expect that Harris will improve even more between his freshman year and his sophomore year.

Also remember that Sacre has 4-5 inches of height advantage over Batista. Sacre is quicker, and a much better defender than JP. JP dominated weaker defenders but Rob Sacre is a lot stronger than most college post players. JP rarely worked against defenders who were taller and quicker than him with Sacre's physical strength. JP also struggled at times when he had to guard taller, quicker post men, because he did not have great length or foot speed. Sacre is tall enough and quick enough to exploit those weaknesses on offense.

Ronny is probably a step slower than Harris, although he was very quick for a player of his size and strength at the collegiate level. It is true that Ronny has evolved into a solid NBA post player, but I suspect that Harris is ultimately going to be at least as good of a player in the NBA as Turiaf. He'll just need a couple of years to develop before he reaches that potential.

What I envisioned was the 2010/2011 Zag frontcourt (with an improved Sacre and an improved Harris) playing against JP as a junior and Ronny as a senior. Would the old guys outplay the younger guys? Probably, but I would still love to watch it.

MDABE80
07-28-2010, 09:53 AM
I don't disagree with your assessment of JP and Ronny, but I don't think it would be that big of a mismatch in favor of the old guys, particularly if you are scrimmaging the 04/05 team against the 10/11 team. Remember that JP improved considerably between his junior year (04/05) and his senior year (05/06). He was a very good player as a junior, but did not really dominate until his senior year. I would expect that Harris will improve even more between his freshman year and his sophomore year.

Also remember that Sacre has 4-5 inches of height advantage over Batista. Sacre is quicker, and a much better defender than JP. JP dominated weaker defenders but Rob Sacre is a lot stronger than most college post players. JP rarely worked against defenders who were taller and quicker than him with Sacre's physical strength. JP also struggled at times when he had to guard taller, quicker post men, because he did not have great length or foot speed. Sacre is tall enough and quick enough to exploit those weaknesses on offense.

Ronny is probably a step slower than Harris, although he was very quick for a player of his size and strength at the collegiate level. It is true that Ronny has evolved into a solid NBA post player, but I suspect that Harris is ultimately going to be at least as good of a player in the NBA as Turiaf. He'll just need a couple of years to develop before he reaches that potential.

What I envisioned was the 2010/2011 Zag frontcourt (with an improved Sacre and an improved Harris) playing against JP as a junior and Ronny as a senior. Would the old guys outplay the younger guys? Probably, but I would still love to watch it.

I'd call this one "not close" Martin.... Of course Sacre/Harris have some nice qualities but it's a waste of your time to put these two duos in the same sentence......:confused:

cjm720
07-28-2010, 11:01 AM
A bit premature on the topic. Let's touch base in a few years...well, that's my two cents.

webspinnre
07-28-2010, 11:10 AM
I think on D Sacre could probably hang with Batista, but Harris would get dominated in the post, though he might be able to do interesting things pulling Ronny away and then driving past him or spotting up. It'd be an interesting matchup due to differing styles, but one that I'd expect JP/Ronny to win.

Beer_Engineer
07-28-2010, 11:31 AM
JP was stronger as a Junior than Sacre will ever be...and thats not to take anything away from Big Rob, he just isn't built the same.

The old guys win this one running away IMO.

thespywhozaggedme
07-28-2010, 11:35 AM

Great minds think alike; I was literally thinking the exact same thing. "I'm the King of Fishing!"

CDC84
07-28-2010, 11:47 AM
I don't know if Rob could handle Batista right now. JP used to regularly take big guys who were just as strong and athletic as Rob and work them over, like when he put 19 and 8 on Hilton Armstrong in the Maui title game. The only thing that used to stop JP when he was at Gonzaga was a double team (which didn't work anyway much of the time), and you can't double JP with Ronny Turiaf at his side. That's what made that frontcourt so lethal. Unfortunately, the 2004/05 squad was so awful defensively that it did the team in early despite their enormous regular season success.

zaggernaut
07-28-2010, 12:54 PM
While I'd probably give the edge to the older guys, I think it would all come down to whoever fouls out first between Ronny and Rob :p

Pleasant Peninsula
07-28-2010, 01:21 PM
J.P. was an absolute monster on the offensive end with his terrific hands and incredible touch.

On the defensive end, not so much.

BobZag
07-28-2010, 04:38 PM

Maybe it's a dream within a dream within a dream..........

Just A Zag
07-28-2010, 07:05 PM
Maybe it's a dream within a dream within a dream..........

uh oh. so we might end up in "limbo"! :D

Vanzagger
07-28-2010, 09:26 PM
JP was stronger as a Junior than Sacre will ever be...and thats not to take anything away from Big Rob, he just isn't built the same.

The old guys win this one running away IMO.

I read Sacre was going toe to toe with JP when he was a young high school player. It talked about Sacre's freakish strength to accomplish this.

That's just what I read 6 years ago in our local paper. I wasn't actually there:D

Reborn
07-29-2010, 03:39 AM
I give credit to Rob at the end of the year. Rob really grew as the season progressed. I like that about him. I bet ya he's improved this summer as well. I'm glad to see him on campus working with the guys. Rob played very well in the NCAA tournament. He handled the very good center for Florida State, and actually outplayed him. I believe he was a first round draft pick. Neither JP or Josh ever made it to the NBA. I like comparing Sacre to guys who are getting drafted in the NBA. If you want to compare him to a Zag center, let's go with comparing him to Ronny Turiaf. I like to compare Rob to the center from Florida State, and he too will be a 1st or 2nd round draft pick next summer. And that's one reason why I think we will have a very good team next year. Having 2 fraft picks on your team is pretty good. If Steven has a great year we could see him go in the second round.

seasontixholder
07-29-2010, 04:41 AM
It is w-a-y premature. Comparing old vets to a group with mostly one year under their belts is odd. Especially since last year everyone was playing with so many inexperienced teammates. Some of the mixing of players without regard for where they were on their career timelines is bizarre.

Personally, I prefer a true 7-foot center and a forward with hops over past players that had a ceiling of effectiveness due to ability limitations. The Florida State game was pleasing one because it showed what that squad could do against a highly athletic team if efforts were made to feed the bigs.

With Dower being added to the mix, the upside is quite high. If the guards can play their roles of getting the ball inside and protecting against collapse defenses by shooting, then the 4/5 spots will get a fair chance to show what they've got. That wasn't the case last year.

Other than depth/injury potential, the front line is the team's strength. Few obviously loves them. New worry wrinkles for him - if any - will come from the backcourt.

Reborn
07-29-2010, 07:17 AM
Harris is definitely better than JP was his Jr year at the high post. JP was not a high post player, and averaged around 11 or 12 ppg I think. JP could not guard Elias. JP did not post up all that much when he was a Jr. Ronny did.

I think Rob as a Junior (next year) would be even with Turiaf. We will have to wait and see, but I think Rob is going to be very good next year.I go with Elias and Rob.

ZagNut08
07-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Love our current guys, but there is no way you can put them at the same level, or above JP and Ronny.

There are very few big men in the past decade or so with a post game like JP, anywhere.

Reborn
07-29-2010, 10:03 AM
Love our current guys, but there is no way you can put them at the same level, or above JP and Ronny.

There are very few big men in the past decade or so with a post game like JP, anywhere.

Will you change your mind if Sacre gets drafted into the NBA? Apparnetly there were others who felt that Ronny was better than JP. I'm not trying to slight JP because he was a great offensive player. I just think you're closed minded about Rob. He is only going to be a junior, and I think he's going to be great for a junior next year, and I think good enough to make it into the NBA. If not next year,than I say the following year for sure. I'd say that's pretty good.

And it's almost a given that Elias will go pro. So there is definitely an argument about Elias and rob will be better next year than Ronny and JP. JP at the high post remember? Thats what we're talking about. If you want to go the next year with JP and Mallon vs Rob and Elias, I still will say Rob and Elias. And what if next years team advances to the Elite 8? What will you say then. Or even the Sweet 16. The team that had Ronny and JP as post players didn't even make it to the Sweet 16.

ZagNut08
07-29-2010, 10:23 AM
I am not looking at the combos with regards to their nba potential, but rather, what they were able to accomplish on the floor while at GU.

It it a hard argument because you would be comparing senior ronny and junior JP to a freshman and sophomore, so obviously, there are a lot of what-ifs heading forward. Yes, if they both blow up and make huge improvements, and take us to the EE and go first round, we can have the discussion. But, as of now, that is not the case. I am basing my opinion off what I know players have accomplished, not what they might.

In terms of depth, since you brought up Mallon, I guess he would be compared to freshman KO, which is a whole new argument. He started for the first third or so of JPs first season, it wasn't until that OKC game that JP put up big numbers where you saw him collect more minutes.

I am not knocking our current guys, but I still don't think it is an argument. Maybe in a year or two we can revisit and see what the current guys have accomplished. For our sake, I hope in a few years I agree with your that Rob and Elias are better.

zag67
07-29-2010, 10:42 AM
So Zagnut, if I take your scenario one step farther, then we should only compare what Ronnie did his second year to Rob's second year. And then compare the first half of the JP junior year to what did last year. Then compare what we hope Rob and Harris do this year, to Ronnies junior year and JP's second half of his junior year. If I do use those I would say that this years players are probably going to be better. Now if Harris and Rob do stay one more year, then we can compare them for their final years.

I am just hoping that we see as much improvement this year with Rob as we did last year (better rebounding, kicking it out, and ???). I also hope we see Ellias make a freshman to junior leap (better defense, movement without the ball, knowing when to take over). But I do think that in order for these to really explode, then we need to see the guard/wing offense improve to the point that they cannot double down all day(shooting and passing by Meech/Carter, Arop, and Gray).

CDC84
07-29-2010, 11:07 AM
No matter how much Rob improves, I don't see him ever approaching Batista. JP was the greatest offensive big man in the history of Gonzaga basketball, and one of the single most underrated players that college basketball has seen in recent memory. If JP hadn't played with Ammo on the same team, he would've been a first team AA.

It's worth revisiting JP's stats his senior year:

19.3 PPG
59.4% FG
83.2% FT
9.4 RPG

He achieved this despite having to endure constant double teams in the post. He was also probably fouled 50% of the time he made or missed a field goal, whether it was called or not. I don't know if I have seen a college player suffer so much abuse in the post and have it not called. The refs would just ignore it because of JP's strength. They would think it wasn't a foul. It was something that used to really anger the coaching staff.

ZagNut08
07-29-2010, 12:39 PM
So Zagnut, if I take your scenario one step farther, then we should only compare what Ronnie did his second year to Rob's second year. And then compare the first half of the JP junior year to what did last year. Then compare what we hope Rob and Harris do this year, to Ronnies junior year and JP's second half of his junior year. If I do use those I would say that this years players are probably going to be better. Now if Harris and Rob do stay one more year, then we can compare them for their final years.

That is not what I had intended in my scenario. I was simply responding to Reborn who asked if I would change my opinion based on certain what-ifs.

The article states it's the deepest/most talented frontcourt Few has had, and in my opinion, the most talented had a combination of Ronny/JP/Mallon

cair3
07-29-2010, 02:50 PM
Lower in the article you notice they bring up UW and Lo Romar. Elston Turner is transferring and he was an under utilized guard for UW because of Romar's lack of discipline and creativity on the offense. Turner would have thrived with Few's sets.

Another point they made was that C.J. Wilcox was coming off his red shirt. He can really play and shoots it like Ray Allen. I have a feeling he will also be under utilized as their offense has no discipline or purpose as Romar just lets Isiah Thomas, Overton, and Gaddy run around like chickens missing their heads. I wouldn't be surprised if like Elston Turner, C.J. grows frustrated next year and chooses to transfer. If so, man I would love to see him play for a coach like Few. This guy is one of the few people that I think can shoot better than me. He could be better than Steven Gray if in the right system but may end up looking one dimensional playing for Lo Romar.

BTW Turaif and JP would dominate Sacre and Harris down low... BUT I don't think Harris could be guarded by either of those guys if he took them out away from the basket and faced them up. Sacre would foul out. Here is to hoping he improves (I like him and his toughness but come on his post game is not advanced and he jumps like he is wearing concrete shoes)

ZagNut08
07-29-2010, 04:36 PM
This guy is one of the few people that I think can shoot better than me.

I would rather see Will Foster spotting up downtown than be stuck kicking out to you.

krozman
07-29-2010, 09:21 PM
JP had the best free throw percentage of a big man in GU history. He'd win it at the line!

JPtheBeasta
07-29-2010, 11:46 PM
How would 5 mini-Sacres do against one regular-sized Ronny? The catch is, Ronny is wearing an Elias Harris jersey.

I cannot enter this debate, as I am obviously biased toward JP the Beasta. Another interesting facet to this conversation is that many view Harris as a SF, so some of these comparisons may not be perfectly equitable.

Ekrub
07-30-2010, 10:19 AM
Batista did better because teams were doubling Morrison. Not saying he wasn't good but Jordan made Pippen a waaay better player. Morrison did the same thing for Batista