PDA

View Full Version : Gbj

BroncoZAG615
07-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Is the man

Greg Hicks:

Gary Bell, 6-1 SG/PG Kent (Wash.) Kentridge. Bell showed off his versatile game Thursday, as he knocked down jump shots, defended very well and set up teammates for easy scores. Heís got a good, strong frame and a terrific feel for the game. His Seattle Rotary teammate Tony Wroten has received more early hype in his career, but itís no not close between the two now, as Bell is clearly the superior player and prospect

Bogozags
07-23-2010, 11:17 AM
WOW! Just WOW!

ZagNative
07-23-2010, 11:17 AM
I love it!

VaBeachZAG
07-23-2010, 11:22 AM
Wiltjer take notice, Bell sets up teammates for easy scores!!!!

Kiddwell
07-23-2010, 11:39 AM
Nice.

:]

jazzdelmar
07-23-2010, 12:34 PM
vultures lurking.....needle-nosed, shark skinned, brylcreemed, smooth talking, boot licking vultures are nearby

UberZagFan
07-23-2010, 12:42 PM
vultures lurking.....needle-nosed, shark skinned, brylcreemed, smooth talking, boot licking vultures are nearby

And their wearing purple chicken suits.

maynard g krebs
07-23-2010, 12:46 PM
But of course Wroten is the better NBA prospect.:) Sounds like Hicks agrees with those of us who believe GB is entirely capable of being a high level pg, and the best and most exciting GU teams have often had 2 of those on the floor together. Good times ahead.

RenoZag
07-23-2010, 01:11 PM
And their wearing purple chicken suits.

Raise your hand if you don't know the difference between "their" and "they're" and you're an attorney.

ronh_pm
07-23-2010, 01:24 PM
And they're wearing their purple chicken suits?

UberZagFan
07-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Raise your hand if you don't know the difference between "their" and "they're" and you're an attorney.

Actually, Uber didn't have the wrong word...just had the words in the wrong place:

"And wearing their purple chicken suits."

RenoZag
07-23-2010, 01:38 PM
Actually, Uber didn't have the wrong word...just had the words in the wrong place:

"And wearing their purple chicken suits."

Check your rep. Enjoy your weekend.

BobZag
07-23-2010, 02:45 PM
Hicks ain't perfect, but he never minces words and says it straight, no fluff, no hype, just straight, not caring what fan bases might think. A review like this from Greg is worth every word. Dunks and high-flying dipsey-doo stuff turns him off. We have a darn good one in Gary.

Baldwinzag
07-23-2010, 02:59 PM
over/under on how long it will be before Coach Cal comes a knockin'?

I say 1 month until we hear about Sleazy Cal attempting to tempt GBJ with his forbidden fruit. . .as Jazz eluded to, the sharks will be circling sooner to recruit Bell.

November can't come early enough this year.

cggonzaga
07-23-2010, 04:05 PM
over/under on how long it will be before Coach Cal comes a knockin'?

I say 1 month until we hear about Sleazy Cal attempting to tempt GBJ with his forbidden fruit. . .as Jazz eluded to, the sharks will be circling sooner to recruit Bell.

November can't come early enough this year.

I know what you are saying but I think it's irrelevant in this case. Gary is too much of a stand up kid to renege on his committment. He's a GU kid plain and simple and will be an All American here. Bring on whoever, GBJ is a Zag!

BobZag
07-23-2010, 04:12 PM
Gary and Calipari just doesn't compute. Neither is a good fit for the other, imo. Now Wroten on the other hand..............

Beer_Engineer
07-26-2010, 07:48 AM
Gary and Calipari just doesn't compute. Neither is a good fit for the other, imo. Now Wroten on the other hand..............

Im really hoping he swoops in on Wroten just so I can give it to all the huskies here in Seattle...that would be classic.

maynard g krebs
07-26-2010, 11:51 AM
Im really hoping he swoops in on Wroten just so I can give it to all the huskies here in Seattle...that would be classic.

IMO Calipari's offense is perfect for Wroten to showcase himself, and if his priority is to be one and done, KY is his best option.

Bell looks like the antithesis of a Calipari player.

jazzdelmar
07-26-2010, 02:03 PM
cali-snake isnt the only one to beware....even ol roy's in sheep clothing, ex west pt captains, jayhawks w great toupees, et al.......hurry loi day

CDC84
07-26-2010, 02:18 PM
Last time I saw Calipari on TV, it sure looked like he needed to lose some weight. Major rib gut. I would imagine the southern cooking isn't helping.

MDABE80
07-26-2010, 02:23 PM
YOu bet those guys will try again with Gary. Don't doubt it. He's good when he committed but he's blowing up this Summer. He's a high major now....and I mean "high" high...maybe the highest. He'll get some calls.....

The more I know about Gary...the more he seems like a "Zag"...just solid, skillful, coachable and with the right temperment to flourish. He's a step up from what we've had in ages. Stocks could be a huge asset to all our guards but for now, this kid is way out front. Pangos...Drang and Bell..... WOW! We'll see how this plays out but we could have a premier backcourt within 2 years. New kids just full of potential and talent. November cannot come soon enough when it comes to formal signings.

hockeyzag
07-26-2010, 03:35 PM
I admit I'm getting a little bit obsessed with Gary Bell Jr. I hope that because of all this attention someone puts up a decent highlight video or game video of him up on youtube. There is pretty much nothing online showing us what we've read so much about. Now I read this "he's better than Wroten" line and I'm even more upset that I can't watch him play.

ZagNative
07-26-2010, 03:59 PM
Have you seen this video from Hoopscout live (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_THuhJB3z4&feature=player_embedded)?

JohnOGU
07-27-2010, 01:02 AM
Wow. Sweet stroke. I can't wait for this kid.

MickMick
07-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Wow. Sweet stroke. I can't wait for this kid.

Nice crossover. Can go either side. Can take it to the rim. Can shoot from outside. Nice elevation and release for outside jump shot. Can rack up points in a hurry.

A really good player :)

Just imagine him with Dranginis and Wiltjer. Throw in the Stohl clone (Hyland), upperclassmen in Dower, Arop, Olynik, and possibly add Space and/or Pangos.

We have a history of hyping the team. This group could live up to it.

jazzdelmar
07-27-2010, 10:54 AM
fwiw, a current D1 head coach w extensive knowledge of the WCC and the west coast scene just told me that in his view bell is "very good, not great.....an excellent shooter, more of a combo guard."

Robzagnut
07-27-2010, 12:26 PM
fwiw, a current D1 head coach w extensive knowledge of the WCC and the west coast scene just told me that in his view bell is "very good, not great.....an excellent shooter, more of a combo guard."

I'll take very good, not great... excellent shooter any day of the week. GU has been missing an excellent shooter for too many years to count.

Few and staff can mold very good into great and they won't walk out the door after one year.

maynard g krebs
07-27-2010, 12:50 PM

I saw Brandon Roy, Rodney Stuckey, Jamal Crawford, Aaron Brooks a few times each, and Luke Ridnour once in HS . The first 3 had size on Gary at the same age, Brooks had superior speed (on everybody), and Rid was a superior playmaker. That said, imo at the same stage Gary fits comfortably in the conversation with those guys. Saw Raivio 3 times too, and am confident in saying GB is easily better at the same stage.

IF GB improves at the rate those guys did, he'll be the best guard at GU since Dickau.

How's that for hype?:)

CDC84
07-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Gary is more than just a shooter. He's built like a truck and can finish in the lane under duress. He may not end up being the shooter that D-Rav was, but he'll have more versatility as a scorer due to his superior athleticism and strength. He'll also be a much better defender than Raivio was.

MickMick
07-27-2010, 05:57 PM
Is he a better long term prospect than Steven Gray? I get a lot of similar vibes about the two players, but there seems to be a touch more optimism for Bell overall at this stage.

Can't judge Gray "long term" until he finishes up his GU career. Still got one season to go and the Zags are gonna need his best. The co-MVP of Maui will take the challenge head on.

MDABE80
07-27-2010, 07:14 PM
Gary's a smaller (for now) version of Pargo with a much larger skill set. Jeremy (God love him) struggled with shooting from everywhere outside the lane. Handles were iffy and his passing was average/subaverage. His defense was decent though.
Bell's good to great in all those categories. GB's also been a guard for most of his career while Jeremy had to be the post player/big man in HS. Jeremy was a bull. Gary's much more of a finesse player. Athletically, Bells a smidge quicker, and his lateral speed is much better and he seems to have a better "feel" for the game. Love Jeremy but Bell's talent and skillset are superior but doesn't give away much strength.

jazzdelmar
07-28-2010, 03:57 AM
Gary's a smaller (for now) version of Pargo with a much larger skill set. Jeremy (God love him) struggled with shooting from everywhere outside the lane. Handles were iffy and his passing was average/subaverage. His defense was decent though.
Bell's good to great in all those categories. GB's also been a guard for most of his career while Jeremy had to be the post player/big man in HS. Jeremy was a bull. Gary's much more of a finesse player. Athletically, Bells a smidge quicker, and his lateral speed is much better and he seems to have a better "feel" for the game. Love Jeremy but Bell's talent and skillset are superior but doesn't give away much strength.

ur damning with faint praise, doc.....:)...............and ur neither a Pope or the pontiff

maynard g krebs
07-28-2010, 02:34 PM
Is he a better long term prospect than Steven Gray? I get a lot of similar vibes about the two players, but there seems to be a touch more optimism for Bell overall at this stage.

I liked Gray a lot in HS. I like Bell a little more for his playmaking ability.

ESB
09-04-2010, 01:24 PM
that video of Mr. Bell was not much of a sample...he didn't do anything overly special....cross over was ok but it's AAU defense...no help...jump shot is nice (corner range a plus) but again not much to go by in short sample....

This is not a criticism of Mr. Bell but dribbling through your legs means nothing if you don't go anywhere or create something for a teammate...again it's AAU defense....As he gains more experience against men older then him in college he'll hopefully learn to save the weapon for when you can use it to put points on the board...all the "ohhs and ahhs" are just 21st century noise...

Mr. Bell looks like he's got ability and an athletic build. He clearly is a player. I'm glad he's a Zag. He can use his skills to score and his quickness will allow him to set up a good shooter like Keegan Hyland next year.