PDA

View Full Version : Gonzaga and Space - Zags most intense

BobZag
07-23-2010, 08:40 AM
From Scout.com:

Antwan Space, SF, Urban DFW: If live bodied small forwards float your boat, this kid fits the bill. Now, we arenít ready to put him in the Branden Dawson category but as an offensive rebounder, heís excellent at his craft. Space got to the line because of his hard work. Heís a contender for our Top 100.

Antwan Space rattled off Maryland, Gonzaga, FIU, Houston, Oregon, Marquette and Texas A&M. He said Gonzaga was coming with the most intensity.

CDC84
07-23-2010, 08:49 AM
He will also be visiting Gonzaga. Space is currently ranked at #92 with Rivals:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Antwan-Space-99381;_ylt=Ak7EAbPPF1z04hbSjqNVAiTVO5B4

The kid just keeps getting better and better.

BroncoZAG615
07-23-2010, 09:00 AM
:D :pray:

Gufan
07-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Isn't he considered "plan B" for a certain prospect we all love? :( Maybe he is projecting to more of a SF instead (poster hopes)

spudzag
07-23-2010, 09:16 AM
Offensive rebounder and great name, a lot to like. Love the last line,

He said Gonzaga was coming with the most intensity.

CDC84
07-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Space is not a plan B for Wiltjer. He's now become a kid they are recruiting to go along WITH Wiltjer, although he would be nice to have if Wiltjer chooses another school. Space's recruitment has picked up intensity with the departure of Bol Kong. The fact that Space is continuing to tear up the summer circuit is also motivating GU's interest in him.

BobZag
07-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Isn't he considered "plan B" for a certain prospect we all love? :( Maybe he is projecting to more of a SF instead (poster hopes)

He was before Kong left. Not now.

I'm told Space is a 4 who can step out and shoot it. That's what he'd be at GU.

kitzbuel
07-23-2010, 10:02 AM
We need a good shooter who can create his own space.

Bogozags
07-23-2010, 11:41 AM
We need a good shooter who can create his own space.

Nice play on words!

d2zag
07-23-2010, 12:08 PM
If we get Space and Wiltjer, our recruiting class is going to be top 7. Book it. And, imo, it's still going to be underrated.

BobZag
07-26-2010, 02:43 PM
Jerry Meyer of Rivals.com:

Antwan Space (Urban DFW, 2011)- He is a crafty four man with a deadly stroke from behind the arc. Although he is not a great athlete, he has a feel for the game, plays with energy and is guaranteed to stretch the defense.

75Zag
07-26-2010, 03:07 PM
I had no idea what this post was going to be about. Apparently GU is recruiting Mr. Space?

There was a guy in DeSmet in the late 60's and early '70s who was known as Mr. Space, but I suppose he is not the subject of this post as I assume his NCAA eligibility has expired by now. If Mr. Space from DeSmet is still alive, he is a miracle of chemistry and he should post here now.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!

ZagNative
07-26-2010, 03:18 PM
I had no idea what this post was going to be about. Apparently GU is recruiting Mr. Space?

There was a guy in DeSmet in the late 60's and early '70s who was known as Mr. Space, but I suppose he is not the subject of this post as I assume his NCAA eligibility has expired by now. If Mr. Space from DeSmet is still alive, he is a miracle of chemistry and he should post here now.

Go Bulldogs! Get Bigger!;)

Miss you in the summer, 75Zag!

ZagNative
07-26-2010, 04:47 PM
Joel Francisco, ESPN (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5410944):
Surprise player

Antwan Space (DeSoto, Texas/DeSoto)
2011, SF, 6-7, 180 pounds | AAU Team: Urban DFW Elite-17s

Space is a prototypical wing who can do a little bit of everything on the court. He has a long, lean frame that oozes potential and a feathery touch from the outside. His stroke is effortless out to 22 feet, but it's not as consistent when he has to shoot it off the bounce because he has a tendency to drift. In addition to his shooting, he even posted up and dropped in a nice-looking jump hook. After dropping 24 points in the first half, the defense clamped down and he struggled to get good looks. He needs to learn to move without the ball, continue to hone his perimeter skills, and most importantly play with a sense of urgency all the time. He has Gonzaga, Maryland, Texas A&M, and FIU tracking his talents.Intro to the story has this tidbit:
LAS VEGAS -- With LeBron James sitting in the stands, the Drew Gooden Soldiers continued their dominance at the inaugural Fab 48 and rolled to the championship with a convincing 86-66 win over the Iowa Barnstormers. The slick-shooting Jabari Brown (Oakland, Calif./Oakland) tossed in 19 points and earned MVP honors, but that award could have easily gone to Nick Johnson (Gilbert, Ariz./Findlay Prep), who scored 16 points and handed out eight assists. The Soldiers are so talented that Kyle Wiltjer (Portland, Ore./Jesuit), who is one of the most skilled 4-men in the country, didn't even make the all-tournament team.

pbriz
07-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Hmmm.....

Sometimes I feel like the one drawback of Few is his lack of creativity in the starting lineups.

I really think a starting lineup of Bell, Arop, Space, Wiltjer, and Dower would be tremendous. If we have 2 PF's out there who cares when they can shoot it like they have shown so far. Defensively and offensively that is a F4 caliber lineup.

ZagNative
07-26-2010, 05:10 PM
Must find more pics .... because this thread needs one. Space is the defender in the dark uni.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff232/ZagNative/Zags/Recruits/2011%20Recruits/Antwan%20Space/2010-02-12AntwanSpace.jpg

Reborn
07-29-2010, 03:02 AM
I would think that a 6' 6" player would have some trouble playing the Power Forward position at the level GU plays at. I agree with those who see him playing the small forward position. However, if he can not shoot the 3 pt shot, I think he would have some trouble in Few's offense. Are we looking at an Ira Brown type of player?

cjm720
07-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Ira Brown? LOL Not close...more like a taller Arop.

CDC84
07-29-2010, 09:18 AM
http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=4447639

Space is listed as 6-8 with scout.com, and he looks every bit of it in that photo. I was also told that the 6-6 Rivals listing is inaccurate by someone who has seen the kid play in person.

ZagAddict
08-19-2010, 04:59 PM
Interesting that Space has the Zags as the only west coast school in his Top 5 (Gonzaga, Florida St., Maryland, Arkansas, and Missouri)... and no Texas schools either. Look west young man... look west.

thespywhozaggedme
08-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Interesting that Space has the Zags as the only west coast school in his Top 5 (Gonzaga, Florida St., Maryland, Arkansas, and Missouri)... and no Texas schools either. Look west young man... look west.

Not Florida State, Florida International; head coach Isiah Thomas, aka "Mr. Sign with me and I guarantee you the Knicks will give you a look see."

BroncoZAG615
08-19-2010, 07:02 PM
Not Florida State, Florida International; head coach Isiah Thomas, aka "Mr. Sign with me and I guarantee you the Knicks will give you a look see."

Not Florida International. Florida State.

"I had a lot of offers, but I have cut the list down to Missouri, Maryland, Florida State, Arkansas and Gonzaga," said Space.

MedZag
08-19-2010, 07:10 PM
Zags in Space?

ZagNative
08-19-2010, 07:40 PM
Interesting that the Rivals story on August 15 (http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1113764) (subscription) says:
Space is a dominate player in the class of 2011.

"I had a lot of offers, but I have cut the list down to Missouri, Maryland, Florida State, Arkansas and Gonzaga," said Space.

Space has different reasons why he likes the schools that are on his list.

"Maryland and Florida State are on my list because I like the thought of playing in the best conference in the country (ACC). Arkansas is in the SEC and that league is very competitive. Phil Pressey is going to Missouri and I feel that we could do great things there. I have a good relationship with Gonzaga's assistant coach, coach [Donnie] Daniels and they are always one of the top schools in the nation."However, the school lists on Space's profiles on both Rivals (http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball/recruiting/player-Antwan-Space-99381) and Scout (http://gonzaga.scout.com/a.z?s=130&p=8&c=1&nid=4447639) show Florida International and not Florida State. Somebody was/is confused.

*Memo to the story's author: You need the adjective, "dominant," my friend, not the verb, "dominate ." The new most misused word in sport reporting.

MickMick
08-19-2010, 08:03 PM
Wait a second ZN. From reading another WCC board, I was led to believe that Donny Daniels will not be much of a factor when it comes to recruiting.

Will someone please inform that four star recruit about this?

Reborn
08-20-2010, 06:57 AM
I think 6'8" sounds a whole lot better for a power forward. Being compared to Arop, but taller is also nice. Gonzaga also seems to recruite players who are in the 70-100 range in the top 100 listings for recruits quite successfully, and these players I think play with a little chip on their shoulders and really do well at Gonzaga.

Getting back to Ira Brown. Can you imagine a 6-8 Ira Brown? Now that would be one recruit I'd love to see at Gonzaga.

Robzagnut
08-20-2010, 07:09 AM
Getting back to Ira Brown. Can you imagine a 6-8 Ira Brown? Now that would be one recruit I'd love to see at Gonzaga.

A 6-8 Ira Brown would be pitching in the majors right now.

jazzdelmar
08-20-2010, 08:40 AM
Ira was a wonderful young man, but he wouldn't have been a major player if he was 7-8.....

JPtheBeasta
08-20-2010, 09:26 AM
A 6-8 Ira Brown would be pitching in the majors right now.

My understanding was that the 6-4 version of Ira! had great speed on his fastball, but he couldn't keep it in the zone.

BobZag
08-20-2010, 09:40 AM
Ira was Charlie Sheen in Major League, but worse. Space is Ira with skills. How's that sound?

JohnOGU
08-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Looks like the people in Maryland think we have the upper hand:

"Per Rivals, via SBN Gonzaga blog Slipper Still Fits. Based simply on how long each has been recruiting him and the prestige level of each, I'd say Gonzaga probably has the upper hand here, but Maryland's been on him for awhile and is pushing.

I'm not entirely in love with Space because I'd prefer two big men instead of two wings (unless Harkless or DFS decide to join up), but that's just me. Maryland's certainly in no position to turn him down."

http://www.testudotimes.com/2010/8/15/1624824/maryland-minute-8-15-10-terp

BobZag
08-20-2010, 10:42 AM
I don't think we're on him as hard as we once were. Not sure why. Maybe due to Deandre Daniels? Beats me. But that comes from a good source. Zags recruiting once made sense. It has gotten more and more willy nilly as of late. There's no figuring it out anymore.

d2zag
08-20-2010, 11:59 AM
BZ, any news on Spangler?

JohnOGU
08-20-2010, 12:16 PM
I don't think we're on him as hard as we once were. Not sure why. Maybe due to Deandre Daniels? Beats me. But that comes from a good source. Zags recruiting once made sense. It has gotten more and more willy nilly as of late. There's no figuring it out anymore.

I really hope they're not holding off because of Spangler... His comp level just doesnt seem to be there.

Also hope the staff has good reason to be going after Daniels with all of the high majors going after him. Especially since Calipari is slithering in on him.

You think we have any realistic shot at landing him, BZ?

thespywhozaggedme
08-20-2010, 08:42 PM
Oh, okay, my bad. Didn't see that quote. Thanks

Not Florida International. Florida State.

BobZag
08-21-2010, 09:39 AM
I really hope they're not holding off because of Spangler... His comp level just doesnt seem to be there.

Also hope the staff has good reason to be going after Daniels with all of the high majors going after him. Especially since Calipari is slithering in on him.

You think we have any realistic shot at landing him, BZ?

No, not realistic.

Honestly, I don't know anything more on Spangler.

BB4Life
08-22-2010, 01:07 PM
JohnOGU, with your remarks regarding Spanglers comp level, are you a coach and if not were might you be getting your info. I know I followed and attended all of the Nike AAU Tourn. this summer and from what I saw, Spangler can compete with anyone. I was also told by one of the coaches that in Augusta, Ga. Peach Jam if Spangler had not of sprained his ankle, there would have been know one there that could come close to his rebounds. The Peach Jam has the top 16 teams for Nike there, so again were do you get your info. on Spangler comp?

BobZag
08-22-2010, 01:56 PM
Often times if a kid plays for a small school, people assume the "comp level" isn't too high. People just say stuff on boards. What the coaches think and say is the only thing that counts.

ZagNative
08-22-2010, 02:22 PM
The introduction of Ryan Spangler here on buboards has been piecemeal, at best, goofy at worst. For example, I do not recall seeing any place here that Ryan is on the roster for Athletes First, which played at Peach Jam and in the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League. Athletes First Site link here (http://www.athletesfirst.com/default.aspx).

I haven't checked to see if Ryan played in any of those games, but he's on the Athletes First team roster (http://www.athletesfirst.com/rosters.aspx). He has some credibility, folks, and is not just some patsy.

Don't know why Rivals, Scout, and ESPN haven't given him any coverage, but he wouldn't be the first of Gonzaga's prospects that's been overlooked by the big three recruiting services.

I don't recall seeing an explanation here about where Gonzaga staff watched Spangler play. Was it at a tourney in Texas? Anyone know?

BB4Life
08-24-2010, 05:51 AM
Zagnative, I do see him on Athletes First Roster - they have him as Ryan Stangler from Tuttle, Ok

BB4Life
08-24-2010, 05:53 AM
Zagnative, I do see him on Athletes First Roster - they have him as Ryan Stangler from Tuttle, Ok- Info. I have is that he was leading the Peach Jam in rebounds until he sprained his ankle. Word is he is making an official visit Sept. 25

ZagNative
08-24-2010, 06:00 AM
Zagnative, I do see him on Athletes First Roster - they have him as Ryan Stangler from Tuttle, Ok- Info. I have is that he was leading the Peach Jam in rebounds until he sprained his ankle. Word is he is making an official visit Sept. 25bb4life, I started a separate thread about Ryan here (http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview.com/showthread.php?p=584459#post584459). See if you have anything to add, such as the info about the visit.