PDA

View Full Version : Pangos news for those that trust Twitter...

ronh_pm
07-22-2010, 09:05 PM
From Flagrant Fouls Nolan Shulman

"Michigan, Gonzaga, Cincy, Stanford, Colorodo all had head coaches at Elderado HS to see Canadian PG Kevin Pangos...He did work for them !!!"

Drew
07-22-2010, 09:52 PM
No Syracuse . . . :D

thickman1
07-23-2010, 03:02 AM
I just can't see this kid going to Cincy...sorry. If it's Michigan or GU I like our chances.

VaBeachZAG
07-23-2010, 05:29 AM
The team to worry most about on that list is Stanford. Besides, if he is as skilled as many-in-the-know say, I would expect that list to expand over time. Since the coaches are very high on him, I hope they get him. If they could manage to get a commit from Pangos before Wiltjer decides, it should help us with his recruitment as well.

BroncoZAG615
07-23-2010, 05:32 AM
CU lock

spudzag
07-23-2010, 07:00 AM
CU lock

Tell us more.

BroncoZAG615
07-23-2010, 07:47 AM
Tell us more.

My hope as a Gonzaga and CU fan. I really hope and think Keita could be the long term answer at point guard with his lenght and playmaking ability. GU hasn't really ever had a guard with his attributes. He's largely overlooked because he hasn't put up guady numbers but he's similar to Sam Dower in that he is a late bloomer.

I also really want Antwan Space & Kyle Wiltjer & no transfers next summer meaning that our scholly's would be filled. I'd prefer to not have to say "oh, the schollys will work out".

And as a CU fan, I think Pangos would be a wonderful addition.

ZagNative
07-23-2010, 08:04 AM
Keita put up two points for France today in 8 minutes in a loss to Latvia in the U18 European Championships, also losing yesterday. Overall, his performance over the summer hasn't done much to inspire me as I've tracked France in generally lackluster exhibition play.

Meanwhile, Pangos comes home on the all-tournament team at the U17's, leading Canada to a bronze.

thespywhozaggedme
07-23-2010, 08:24 AM
My hope as a Gonzaga and CU fan. I really hope and think Keita could be the long term answer at point guard with his lenght and playmaking ability. GU hasn't really ever had a guard with his attributes. He's largely overlooked because he hasn't put up guady numbers but he's similar to Sam Dower in that he is a late bloomer.

I also really want Antwan Space & Kyle Wiltjer & no transfers next summer meaning that our scholly's would be filled. I'd prefer to not have to say "oh, the schollys will work out".

And as a CU fan, I think Pangos would be a wonderful addition.

Keita is currently averaging 0.0 apg at the Euro U18's.

BroncoZAG615
07-23-2010, 08:54 AM
Keita put up two points for France today in 8 minutes in a loss to Latvia in the U18 European Championships, also losing yesterday. Overall, his performance over the summer hasn't done much to inspire me as I've tracked France in generally lackluster exhibition play.

Meanwhile, Pangos comes home on the all-tournament team at the U17's, leading Canada to a bronze.

Thanks for the stats update.

I'm at the point now where I am trying to understand what the coaches are thinking when they bring in these European prospects. I can't imagine Tommy Lloyd spending all this time in Europe and making trips back and forth to land a kid who many around here think is going to be below average at best and be a glorified role player. He's not going to be an immediate impact player, I understand that, but I have seen his ability to create offense if given minutes and I think that down the line he could become a very solid guard at the college level. If he doesn't, then it is seemingly a very expensive waste of time.

I don't have anything against Pangos and think he is a nice player but I'd rather see Wiltjer and a big time small forward like Space/Cunningham make up the 2011 class with Bell and Dranginis. I also don't see many defections coming from a class consisting of a juco player, two euros, and Keegan Hyland.

Just trying to think ahead with this whole thing.

JLGutrocks
07-23-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the stats update.

I'm at the point now where I am trying to understand what the coaches are thinking when they bring in these European prospects. I can't imagine Tommy Lloyd spending all this time in Europe and making trips back and forth to land a kid who many around here think is going to be below average at best and be a glorified role player. He's not going to be an immediate impact player, I understand that, but I have seen his ability to create offense if given minutes and I think that down the line he could become a very solid guard at the college level. If he doesn't, then it is seemingly a very expensive waste of time.

I don't have anything against Pangos and think he is a nice player but I'd rather see Wiltjer and a big time small forward like Space/Cunningham make up the 2011 class with Bell and Dranginis. I also don't see many defections coming from a class consisting of a juco player, two euros, and Keegan Hyland.

Just trying to think ahead with this whole thing.

Who predicted Elias? When was the last euro we whiffed on?

BroncoZAG615
07-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Who predicted Elias? When was the last euro we whiffed on?

Kind of exactly my point.

I'm not saying Keita will have anywhere near the instant impact that Elias had in any way, shape, or form. I just can't see us bringing in a European player that is destined to be below average during his time at GU when I'm sure Mark Few could find someone in the continential United States to fill a similar role.

Does anyone really think we would throw a scholarship at a European player thinking that he would never really amount to anything? I sure hope not.

Chicken Ball
07-23-2010, 09:28 AM

I'm not saying Keita will have anywhere near the instant impact that Elias had in any way, shape, or form. I just can't see us bringing in a European player that is destined to be below average during his time at GU when I'm sure Mark Few could find someone in the continential United States to fill a similar role.

Does anyone really think we would throw a scholarship at a European player thinking that he would never really amount to anything? I sure hope not.
Germayne Forbes.

BobZag
07-23-2010, 09:43 AM

Mamery Diallo was from France, one of Tommy's guys, placed at a Juco.
Calum MacLeod was evaluated in NZ by Billy Grier and brought in.
Thousands of hours went into Bol Kong, he was not meant for college.
Germaine Forbes was brought in from England.
PMAC was everything Keita appears to be; hoping Keita is more coachable.

All of our coaches have made mistakes and likely will continue to like all other coaching staffs. We've all been puzzled by some of our recruits who have been brought in in the past. I'm puzzled by Keita. But I'll take a wait-and-see approach to him. Practices start in about 2.5 months.

MickMick
07-23-2010, 09:45 AM
My opinion:

Keep bringing in highly tauted point guards (like Pangos) until something works at a high level.

I can see Bell at Two and Dranginis at Three if need be. Dickau and Steppe were two point guards on the floor at the same time. It has been done before. According to Few (in Decade of Excellence), Steppe didn't show the slightest concern when Dickau came aboard. Steppe knew he was good enough to play. I don't see UNC or UK concerned about creating stiff competition. Let Kieta, Carter, and Hyland earn their time against stiff competition.

Wiltjer and Pangos were targets before Kong left. Space should be looked at as Kong's potential replacement (my opinion...again).

kitzbuel
07-23-2010, 10:05 AM
http://www.infokz.com/photo/steppe_moun1.jpg

kitzbuel
07-23-2010, 10:06 AM
http://media.scout.com/Media/College_Mens_Basketball/94_BlakeElvis.JPG

sittingon50
07-23-2010, 10:26 AM
You got the roles reversed, Mick. Dickau had been at GU one year (as a redshirt) when Stepp arrived.

MDABE80
07-23-2010, 11:07 AM
CU lock

OK...I'll try it. For the second time...what exactly do you knbow or mean when you say Pangos is a CU lock.? Is he likely to go there ?
Do you know something heretofore unknown by this board?

Do you now know that Pangos is headed to CU? Is he really a "lock" to go to CU ...as you indicate ? You didn't exactly answer that direct question.

Bronco...speak!

BroncoZAG615
07-23-2010, 11:20 AM
OK...I'll try it. For the second time...what exactly do you knbow or mean when you say Pangos is a CU lock.? Is he likely to go there ?
Do you know something heretofore unknown by this board?

Do you now know that Pangos is headed to CU? Is he really a "lock" to go to CU ...as you indicate ? You didn't exactly answer that direct question.

Bronco...speak!

God no. I have no idea what Pangos is doing or where he is heading.

I expected it to be taken tounge in cheek as I think most know I come from the Denver area...and it's Friday. Sorry..no more joking around.

I'm glad Tad is watching him though...the Buffs are in need of steady PG play.

sittingon50
07-23-2010, 11:35 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Bronco. Almost posted that Cincinnati is UC not CU.:D

BroncoZAG615
07-23-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks for clearing that up Bronco. Almost posted that Cincinnati is UC not CU.:D

Haha...I can't see Mr. Pangos landing at Cincy. For some reason I can see Michigan being a solid option but who knows. I've gotten emotionally invested in too many recruits over the past few years that wind up fizzling out. Since we have GBJ locked up and are in great position for many other options in 2011, I'm not terribly concerned about our direction in 2011. Few is putting together a gem.

If we can get a verbal from Space in early fall, have Wiltjer visit sometime during the school year with Bell, Dranginis, and Space all present and on campus...I think we lock Wiltjer up. I'm not sure what Pangos' time frame is like but if the numbers work, that would be a five man class of my dreams.

That being said...I still have good feelings about Keita's long-run promise.

UberZagFan
07-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Kitz: that's classic.

MickMick
07-23-2010, 01:00 PM
You got the roles reversed, Mick. Dickau had been at GU one year (as a redshirt) when Stepp arrived.

Yea. I got them reversed, but Few still did mention in the video that Stepp had no fear of losing time to Dickau. I guess that was the main point I was trying to get across.

Didn't Dickau redshirt at UW?

BroncoZAG615
07-23-2010, 01:11 PM
Bronco, Shannon Sharpe. Especially with the high octane offense going in.0

This is true. I've heard great things about Sharpe. I was so bummed he got hurt last year. He seems like a player...which is great because I've had my fill of Nate Tomlinson.

sittingon50
07-23-2010, 01:14 PM
Nope. 2 years @ uw, transfer, redshirt, 2 yrs. @ GU.

ZagNative
07-23-2010, 01:21 PM
I still wish I knew which team Pangos is playing for in Vegas ...

ZagNative
07-23-2010, 04:20 PM
FWIW, Nolan Shulman of Flagrant Fouls tweeted that Pangos was playing for Northern Kings, but I'm not finding a team by that name in the Adidas 64 or Fab 40 invitational or open. Another team name I've seen mentioned in connection with Northern Kings is Toronto Mission, which I do find listed at Adidas 64, where Duane Notice's Toronto BJC Magic is also playing, so perhaps KP is playing for Toronto Mission. Link to Adidas 64 (http://www.adidassuper64.com/Tournaments).

ronh_pm
07-24-2010, 12:14 AM
"Despite being just a 2013 and making his AAU debut yesterday, Duane Notice has heard from Syracuse, Arizona, Gonzaga, and Santa Clara."

ronh_pm
07-24-2010, 12:24 AM
FWIW, Nolan Shulman of Flagrant Fouls tweeted that Pangos was playing for Northern Kings, but I'm not finding a team by that name in the Adidas 64 or Fab 40 invitational or open. Another team name I've seen mentioned in connection with Northern Kings is Toronto Mission, which I do find listed at Adidas 64, where Duane Notice's Toronto BJC Magic is also playing, so perhaps KP is playing for Toronto Mission. Link to Adidas 64 (http://www.adidassuper64.com/Tournaments).

I had him (KP) slotted in with Toronto Mission...they are one and the same....

Record so far...

Toronto Mission/Northern Kings (Toronto, ON)
L 58-61, Organized Chaos (CA)
W 77-36, North Texas Blaze
W 71-50, Denver Summit (CO)

BobZag
07-24-2010, 08:36 AM
He is playing with Toronto Mission .... they are actually called the
Northern Knights but they registered a long time ago as Mission...

BobZag
07-24-2010, 02:22 PM
Just to let y'all know Kevin and his father may be at Gonzaga August 9-11, visiting the campus. It is tentative but word is he has been invited to the Nike Global Challenge in Portland, August 6-8.

OZZag
07-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Just to let y'all know Kevin and his father may be at Gonzaga August 9-11, visiting the campus. It is tentative but word is he has been invited to the Nike Global Challenge in Portland, August 6-8.

Kevin will have a chance to see what a great community/atmosphere that Gonzaga has to offer. I am hoping that a certain legendary point guard might be in town about that time......

thespywhozaggedme
07-24-2010, 04:56 PM
Kevin will have a chance to see what a great community/atmosphere that Gonzaga has to offer. I am hoping that a certain legendary point guard might be in town about that time......

Dude, I was literally about to write the exact same thing before I read your post. Great minds think alike. :D So whaddya say Bob, Is JS gonna make a cameo for Kevin's visit?

MDABE80
07-24-2010, 05:20 PM
If Pangos wants to be trained well in PG skills, John the guy to do just that. I wonder if John was an "example" for Gary Bell jr when he was being recruited. I remember that it was an awful fast commitment. JS is such an asset......

Player
07-24-2010, 06:33 PM
"Despite being just a 2013 and making his AAU debut yesterday, Duane Notice has heard from Syracuse, Arizona, Gonzaga, and Santa Clara."

Matthew Willms 2012 also made his AAU debut with the Detroit Stars. Fellow Canadian Cadet teammate of Pangos and Notice.
Has heard from Michigan, Michigan State, St Bon., Central Michigan, Kansas, Cleveland and others (waiting for confirmation on complete list to date)

Rumoured that Wagner and possibly Wiggins are in Vegas as well

ronh_pm
07-24-2010, 07:36 PM
Matthew Willms 2012 also made his AAU debut with the Detroit Stars. Fellow Canadian Cadet teammate of Pangos and Notice.
Has heard from Michigan, Michigan State, St Bon. and others (waiting for confirmation on complete list to date)

Rumoured that Wagner and possibly Wiggins are in Vegas as well

David Wagner (Olynyk's former teammate in Kamloops) definitely is. He is playing for the U17 BC Provincial team in the Swoosh Tournament.

Gold Division

Basketball BC
L 25-41, Fort Worth Firm (David Wagner 7 pts)
W 62-40, Jacksonville Rockets (David Wagner 11 pts)
W 62-19, BTI 17 Force (David Wagner 12 pts)

BobZag
07-25-2010, 09:34 AM
Dude, I was literally about to write the exact same thing before I read your post. Great minds think alike. :D So whaddya say Bob, Is JS gonna make a cameo for Kevin's visit?

I honestly don't know.