PDA

View Full Version : OT -- This is bad -- Winthrop player in coma

soonerterp
05-13-2007, 08:34 PM
Winthrop backup guard in coma following auto accident (http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/46070/20070513/winthrop_backup_guard_in_coma_after_car_accident/)

Peele said Adams was in a drug-induced coma to keep him quiet while doctors work on reducing pressure in his skull.

"They're trying to keep people out of his room," Peele said. "He can apparently hear and is trying to react to what's going on, and they're trying to keep him from doing that."

Here's hopes for recovery.

MickMick
05-13-2007, 09:03 PM
If my understanding of the brain/body interaction is correct, it goes something like this. As the body goes deeper into shock, the blood travels to the center of the body and brain. Hence, the pale skin at the extremitys. Because the inner brain harbors the "hearing center", it is common for the last (and first as in waking up) thoughts for a person to recall after losing consciousness are those related to hearing (ie talking, etc.) Medical types correct me if I am wrong.

So it is totally believable to me that the patient is responding to sounds during this terrible ordeal. Unfortunate situation...my heart goes out to him.

BobZag
05-14-2007, 09:23 AM
This kid was fun to watch. I sat with WUAlum when I first saw him. He played great. At 5'9" (max) he was easy to be a personal favorite. I recall one series vs Notre Dame when Winthrop wasn't aware that the shot clock was nearing zero. With about 4 secs remaining, #24 (De'Andre) saw it, drove fullspeed to the hoop, floated up a runner for two at the buzzer. It could've been the halftime buzzer, I can't recall.

I hope he snaps out of this ASAP.

BobZag
05-14-2007, 02:20 PM
De' Andre seems to be progressing well. Although he is in a coma, it is drug induced as opposed to trauma induced. The doctors wanted to keep him stable and monitor brain swelling. The doctors did not have to take any invasive measures to relieve swelling, i.e., no fracturing of the skull to relieve pressure. They have simply been monitoring the situation and the swelling has already gone down significantly. I have not heard any word on when they intend to pull him out of the coma. And there is no way of knowing how this will affect him moving forward. First and foremost, we hope he can return to school and finish out his degree. Beyond that, we all hope that he will be able to return to his old self on the basketball court.

Nevtelen
05-14-2007, 04:47 PM
Sounds like it's progressing well... I hope this kind gets a happy ending.