PDA

View Full Version : Vilarino to ASU

Angelo Roncalli
07-19-2010, 08:32 AM
Appalachian State University.

http://www2.wataugademocrat.com/story/Gonzaga_guard_to_transfer_to_ASU_id_003314

cjm720
07-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Best of luck!

It will be fun following his career from afar.

MDABE80
07-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Program is on the rise. He'll add to it. I do hope he's happier there. As an aside, I'm surprised he was loggin 7.8 mins per game at GU. More than I thought. No matter...we're a footnote now...we all hope he does good stuff.

jazzdelmar
07-19-2010, 10:16 AM
in the moment, i thought sendak got him for zona state.....now THAT wd have been something...

former1dog
07-19-2010, 10:33 AM
Good luck to GJ.

I, for one, actually thought he had a place on OUR team and could have been an impact player. I thought when he got better at picking his spots for aggression and displaying his fantastic athleticism, he would be an important contributor. Oh well.

Drew
07-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Program is on the rise. He'll add to it. I do hope he's happier there. As an aside, I'm surprised he was loggin 7.8 mins per game at GU. More than I thought. No matter...we're a footnote now...we all hope he does good stuff.

7.8 minutes is totally misleading, given the games that brought up his average (excluding Mich St.). Also, 7.8 minutes does not average in the 9 games (including ex games) Vilarino got no playing time.

dnj116
07-19-2010, 11:00 AM
“This particular situation is one that they’re going to build a team around him basically,” Gerry Vilarino said.
http://www.appfan.com/blog/?p=9381#comments

Some profound words from his dad. I wish nothing but the best for G.J. I had high hopes for him becoming our point guard, but it didn't work out.

JPtheBeasta
07-19-2010, 11:53 AM
http://www.appfan.com/blog/?p=9381#comments

Some profound words from his dad. I wish nothing but the best for G.J. I had high hopes for him becoming our point guard, but it didn't work out.

It appears that GJ thought that Gonzaga was closer to App. State than it was to Kentucky when he decided to come here. He is a "big fish" who needed to be in a smaller pond. I've never decided if this fish was as big as he thought he was. It was obvious from his dad's statements after he left here that he felt GJ needed to play point guard only and get starter minutes. I'm not disappointed that GU didn't build the program around this young man. Life is short, so I hope GJ gets what he really wants out of this new deal.

bartruff1
07-19-2010, 12:30 PM
I am always concerned when I see/hear a parent speaking for a athlete and that was the case when he came here....having raised several, including a Professional... it is my opinion that parents should be seen and not heard... it worked for me to be there and keep my mouth shut...just my opinion... I wish the youngster the best...

MDABE80
07-19-2010, 01:19 PM
Mom and Dad are exceptionally good parents and very good people. GJ needs work..plenty of it too. He's not the size to merit an automatic NBA look. He's got the athleticism for it..no doubt. I don't think he ever igamined how tough the competition would be out here.
PLUS the coaches have lots of kids to worry about. It's not a "fiat lux"...out here. Nobody plays by decree. Sometimes I though GJ just rolled in and thought it was a "given" that he'd start. Maybe moreso since he was chosen by UK to play there.
Usually this junk is sorted out in practice. I expected him to be better than Meech but it didn't prove out. One thing is a sure bet. Every kid and every case is different. Gut wrenching for some and others are just happy. Gibbs is pretty bitter I hear. GJ has to prove himself all over again. Gibbs is joining a top notch program who WANTS him to be a leader.
God has his ways... for each of us.

FrosTbear
07-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Good luck to GJ.

I thought he had a place on OUR team and could have been a great impact player.

Zag79
07-19-2010, 10:58 PM
I thought he had a place on OUR team and could have been a great impact player.

interesting how a player some on the board thought should start ends up playing at... app st. maybe the coaches do know more than message board posters after all. :D good luck with everything GJ!

810Suited
07-20-2010, 04:55 AM
kentucky to gonzaga to app state interesting combination. definitely thought this was about arizona state

Zag4Hire
07-20-2010, 07:20 AM
I swore it was the Sun Devils too. It is similar when the media uses USC for South Carolina.

Best of luck to GJ.

former1dog
07-20-2010, 10:02 AM
interesting how a player some on the board thought should start ends up playing at... app st. maybe the coaches do know more than message board posters after all. :D good luck with everything GJ!

Those same coaches brought GJ into Gonzaga, so why shouldn't message board posters be interested in what GJ could accomplish on the court, even as a starter?

I'm confused by your post. :confused:

Zag79
07-22-2010, 06:27 PM
Those same coaches brought GJ into Gonzaga, so why shouldn't message board posters be interested in what GJ could accomplish on the court, even as a starter?

I'm confused by your post.

oh, i was simply noting that i find it very interesting how some people thought GJ should start, and that he was so much better than what we had last year... yet he will be playing at app st. hes obviously not the player kentucky NOR gonzaga thought he was. sure the coaches brought him in, but they let him go after not playing him just as fast. they must have seen alot more than the "replace meech with gj" posters did. i guess i found it hilarious how some posters were sold that gj was going to out meech this season, or should have last year. nothing too important, just made me chuckle. :)

jazzdelmar
07-23-2010, 04:37 AM
The coaches missed on both ..gj and meech...hence the post season land rush for help.....

Zag79
07-26-2010, 08:33 PM
even after all the yapping, im still not sold on meech being a miss. he has played one full year running the point, and was only a sophmore. i cant wait to watch him get better and mature into quite the player considering he will be our pg until he graduates.

titopoet
07-27-2010, 05:31 AM
I worked with GJ's uncle. GJ family seemed nice. Sometimes players don't fit, for whatever reason. I do wish him the best.

The second point is the the four degree of separation. Meaning, no what the topic, there is only four degrees until it becomes a thread about Meech.

Lindsey Lohan is in prison.

Maybe she could use the time to work on her jumpshot. Speaking of jumpshots, meech needs ...